Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

fyi i was the one who pointed out the weetman 55 different degrees thing the other day but im too lazy to bother compiling screenshots so other posters did it and got the credit. i also first called rentoul a vampire back in like 2015 and never got credit for that either, nor did i drive it into the ground like some i could mention. aaron bastani also stole a bernie sanders joke i made and posted it on his insta without attribution. i am a hidden engine of the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Starmers Labour: The super rich shouldn't pay more tax.

Some of the super rich literally within the same 24 hours: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/jul/13/super-rich-call-for-higher-taxes-on-wealthy-to-pay-for-covid-19-recovery

The right of Labour are such worthless streaks of poo poo it's insane.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Vitamin P posted:

Starmers Labour: The super rich shouldn't pay more tax.

Some of the super rich literally within the same 24 hours: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/jul/13/super-rich-call-for-higher-taxes-on-wealthy-to-pay-for-covid-19-recovery

The right of Labour are such worthless streaks of poo poo it's insane.

Because they're unable to consistently mobilise a loyal base (because the number of people who like their politics is electorally insignificant) and they don't have the propaganda networks to convince the public that Labour is actually a good choice anyway they're shitscared of challenging anyone of any power and influence in case it annoys their hypothetical voter whose views are vague and unknowable. The tribalistic Labour voter is basically their ceiling which is what happened with Miliband as those numbers continued the New Labour decline and Corbyn managed to avert in 2017 by actually articulating a platform which generated a base.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

You're allowed to do a little bit of blackface, if you're on the left. Just a touch.

'Y'all' isn't a black specific thing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

gh0stpinballa posted:

fyi i was the one who pointed out the weetman 55 different degrees thing the other day but im too lazy to bother compiling screenshots so other posters did it and got the credit. i also first called rentoul a vampire back in like 2015 and never got credit for that either, nor did i drive it into the ground like some i could mention. aaron bastani also stole a bernie sanders joke i made and posted it on his insta without attribution. i am a hidden engine of the internet.

I for one appreciate your good works in this cold, dark mortal coil, op

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So with the news that masks will be compulsary in shops in 10 days time (because Covid is currently on a break???) does this apply to shop workers? Will I be expected to wear a mask all day or perhaps just when customers are in (I think I would do this either way) or is it just the customers that are expected to mask up?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

there's an endless parade of libs who breathlessly tweet out that this will be the thing that finally brings Trump down every time a new scandal breaks

and guess what, it never loving is but they don't learn, ever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FiftySeven posted:

So with the news that masks will be compulsary in shops in 10 days time (because Covid is currently on a break???) does this apply to shop workers? Will I be expected to wear a mask all day or perhaps just when customers are in (I think I would do this either way) or is it just the customers that are expected to mask up?

I would assume everyone.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

FiftySeven posted:

The government doesn't give a poo poo what you do, so I'd recommend whatever you feel safest doing.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

kingturnip posted:

The government doesn't give a poo poo what you do, so I'd recommend whatever you feel safest doing.

Staying inside and slowly turning my house into an amazon warehouse while eating so many beans the gas clouds make geologists think Sheffield has an active volcano it is then!

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
How is it going to work? There is a sizeable chunk of passengers on public transport not wearing masks, and they can't all have breathing difficulties. Drivers can't really enforce it because you can't force someone to disclose their medical history in front of a bus/train/tram full of strangers (rightly so). I imagine the same applies to shops.

And that's before we get to the seemingly endless ways people find to wear a mask that defeat the entire purpose.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

looking forward to finally getting some BRITISH viral content of maskless gammons shouting at people working in shops and shoving their way into Lidl

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Apparently, a Ryanair flight from Krakow to Dublin landed at Stansted because of a note in the bogs about explosives on board. I just can't, try as I might, figure out a motive for this, unless it's a gift from the new Polish government.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Trickjaw posted:

Apparently, a Ryanair flight from Krakow to Dublin landed at Stansted because of a note in the bogs about explosives on board. I just can't, try as I might, figure out a motive for this, unless it's a gift from the new Polish government.

My guess is banterlads coming back from a stag :cheers:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

How is it going to work? There is a sizeable chunk of passengers on public transport not wearing masks, and they can't all have breathing difficulties. Drivers can't really enforce it because you can't force someone to disclose their medical history in front of a bus/train/tram full of strangers (rightly so). I imagine the same applies to shops.

And that's before we get to the seemingly endless ways people find to wear a mask that defeat the entire purpose.
The shops wont be expected to enforce it, but passing plod can catch you maskless and fine you £100

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ThomasPaine posted:

Am I alone in finding people who use 'y'all' to affect some folksy authenticity some of the most irritating people on the planet?

Yes, you're unironically crazy.

You're reading way too much into online shitposting. People pick up quirks from all kinds of sources and it's vastly more likely it's just something that stuck from copying someone else than being a carefully crafted facade designed to fool you into thinking they're down-to-earth simple folk.

And no poo poo people don't speak the way they write. This should be beyond obvious if you actually interact with people.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

endlessmonotony posted:

And no poo poo people don't speak the way they write.

Speak for yourself colon colbert colon

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Hm yes the idea that people might consciously or unconsciously try to lend their arguments greater rhetorical weight by appealing to some abstract sense of authenticity is clearly a ridiculous notion and not a well documented thing that happens every day

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

all communication is bourgeois affectation. I communicate exclusively through pointing and grunting

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ThomasPaine posted:

Hm yes the idea that people might consciously or unconsciously try to lend their arguments greater rhetorical weight by appealing to some abstract sense of authenticity is clearly a ridiculous notion and not a well documented thing that happens every day

In the year of our godforsaken Lord Trump is there anyone, anyone at all, who feels the need for such subtle trickery and isn't laughed out of any room they step into?

You're looking for excessively intricate secret plots when the truth is, in vast majority of the cases, just plainly visible and nobody at all gives a poo poo because they already know what side they're on.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Namtab posted:

The shops wont be expected to enforce it, but passing plod can catch you maskless and fine you £100

Ah yes, all those coppers we have walking the beat thanks to the Tory's generous police funding.

They'd need to be in the shop, surely, because being outside on the street doesn't require a mask?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Namtab posted:

The shops wont be expected to enforce it, but passing plod can catch you maskless and fine you £100 if you're black

FTFY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blessed year 2020 we are all masked antifa thugs now.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Lady Demelza posted:

The most British way to wear masks is to buy a £60 carbon rebreather then have your nose poking out of the top, then as soon as you leave a train or shop stand in the doorway and make a big show about taking the mask off like you're in an anime then start tutting when people squeeze past you.

Also remember to go on your phone constantly as you're out and about, wash your hands, but never wash the phone. The phone needs to be a personal plague totem covered in poo and coronavirus particles that you rub on your face to appease Nurgle.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

justcola posted:

The most British way to wear masks is to buy a £60 carbon rebreather then have your nose poking out of the top,

The number of absolute twats I've seen wearing 3M 6000 series respirators isn't so high now that noone is wearing masks anymore, but when they were I couldn't help thinking it was the absolute pinnacle of FYGM. Fancy mask as a status symbol, and not only was it showing off, it actively defeats the purpose of the mask because it's not catching *your* droplets to protect others, it's pumping those out the front.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really wish I'd bought one of those GP5s, even if I'd just have to stuff the tube full of cotton wool because the filters are hard to find.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A legal victory against landlords...
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/14/no-dss-ruled-unlawful-after-mother-rejected-by-lettings-agency

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

OwlFancier posted:

Really wish I'd bought one of those GP5s, even if I'd just have to stuff the tube full of cotton wool because the filters are hard to find.

Those don't serve the purpose face coverings are meant to address though. The masks aren't to protect you, they're to protect others from you. Any open-loop respirator won't have a filter on the output so you're breathing in filtered air but breathing out the 'rona if you have it. A facemask protects everyone you meet, a respirator protects you.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

StarkingBarfish posted:

The number of absolute twats I've seen wearing 3M 6000 series respirators isn't so high now that noone is wearing masks anymore, but when they were I couldn't help thinking it was the absolute pinnacle of FYGM. Fancy mask as a status symbol, and not only was it showing off, it actively defeats the purpose of the mask because it's not catching *your* droplets to protect others, it's pumping those out the front.

Funnily enough it's what they were all thinking of getting in the C-spam covid thread.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

so I looked up how people are reacting to mandatory masks in Scottish shops, and I'm noticing more anti-SNP wingnuts on Twitter spouting what is essentially QAnon rhetoric about globalists and Bill Gates and what have you

I am not an SNP supporter by any means (what with all the TERFs and neoliberals strewn about the place) but I'm finding it concerning that some unionists are responding to something like mandatory masks by going full fash conspiracy theorist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

StarkingBarfish posted:

Those don't serve the purpose face coverings are meant to address though. The masks aren't to protect you, they're to protect others from you. Any open-loop respirator won't have a filter on the output so you're breathing in filtered air but breathing out the 'rona if you have it. A facemask protects everyone you meet, a respirator protects you.

I think the GP-5 actually feeds out through the filter too, it's a really simple gas mask. But I don't know if the filter has some sort of bypass valve built into it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The road to fascism is paved with the mildest of inconveniences.

Sure, kill thousands through austerity or fumbling with a pandemic, but if you force inner-city Range rover owners to wear a mask when they go to the shop then I hope you're ready for war.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

OwlFancier posted:

I think the GP-5 actually feeds out through the filter too, it's a really simple gas mask. But I don't know if the filter has some sort of bypass valve built into it.

The output valve is just behind the filter connector. Also the filters contain both asbestos _and_ lead for added comedy... would not recommend.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Can you imagine if Corbyn's Labour had made masks mandatory :laugh:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

crispix posted:

On the other hand Boris would be the opposition and probably be licking door handles and having bbq photo-ops with Gove and the like, saying things like 'the biggest threat to this country isn't Covid-19 but Corbyn-2020'

Maybe in an alternative timeline he'd be dead as gently caress.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

Probably would have wasted government money on sending everyone a little pack of masks too the mad commie bastard.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

justcola posted:

Also remember to go on your phone constantly as you're out and about, wash your hands, but never wash the phone. The phone needs to be a personal plague totem covered in poo and coronavirus particles that you rub on your face to appease Nurgle.

How would you actually clean a phone without damaging it? Washing machine, dishwasher or just leave it to soak in the sink for a bit?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

How would you actually clean a phone without damaging it? Washing machine, dishwasher or just leave it to soak in the sink for a bit?

You only have to clean the outside

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

He'd have made all the mandatory masks have a Jews Are Bad antisemitic slogan on them and all his supporters would cheer because they also despise Jewish people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

Use an antibacterial wipe? Seems p obvious