Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

srulz posted:

Has anyone played this Gujian3 game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/994280/Gujian3/

It really looks good both graphic-wise & gameplay-wise, and Steam reviews are pretty nice, but video reviews from mainstream review outlets are non-existent unfortunately.

I need to play more of it to have an actual review-worthy opinion BUT real quick:

- if you want a character action rpg, get the Witcher / AssCreed Origin/Odyssey
- if you want the more action/spectacle stuff in the gujian3 style, get Bayonetta or the Devil May Cry series
- if you must have the asian flavoring, Nioh or (haven't played this yet myself) Toukiden

and if you MUST have a chinese action rpg with specifically chinese storytelling and flavoring, Gujian3.

I played the prologue chapter where you're a dying king - yet overpowered. You learn the combat with a fully beefed character, discover that you're dying and your twin brother still doesn't want the throne (as he's lived on earth and hates spirit people) and in order to protect your capital you fight a boss fight that's actually a little tricky.

Then chapter one starts and you're the twin brother back on earth teaching kids how to fight before going off to do chores.

Combat was roughly fine on a keyboard/mouse but a controller is better. The translation is fine but like, note that my tolerance is extremely high for this kind of thing and I'm playing community/fan-translated Scroll of Taiwu.

I intend to play more soon, as it's a solid 34.4 gigs on my harddrive and either I play a game that big or I uninstall it. (honestly that goes for any game 10 gigs and up, I want to play what I have installed, not stare at it and never play it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Max Wilco posted:

Fair enough, but it is kind of funny to see an article complaining about Steam's extra features when one of main complaints about EGS was that it didn't have a cart.

oh no I lmaoing at that 'coincidence' because that that is suspicious and also wouldn't be out of the norm.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

srulz posted:

Has anyone played this Gujian3 game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/994280/Gujian3/

It really looks good both graphic-wise & gameplay-wise, and Steam reviews are pretty nice, but video reviews from mainstream review outlets are non-existent unfortunately.

I saw it described as kind of free roam chinese arpg with better combat then Witcher 3. I bought it in the sale and I'll probably play it soon and have some opinions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

The thing I've seen pointed out with this article is that one of PC Gamer's top sponsors for the PC Gaming Show is EGS.

and furthermore, shopping carts are just too complicated!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ghostlight posted:

who are you proving it to?
Dunno, I'm not exactly an expert on international litigation. There's usually a contractually designated court that has jurisdiction over third-party sellers in an international marketplace like that, though.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Those cliffs were made for kickin'.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Savage

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Xaris posted:

oh no I lmaoing at that 'coincidence' because that that is suspicious and also wouldn't be out of the norm.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood and thought you were referring to me.

ErrEff posted:

There is still no cart.

Fallom posted:

G2A has a cart, and G2A isn't even a legit site!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Last Christmas I bought tamales online because all the tamale carts around my area vanished.

Their site had a shopping cart.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cardiovorax posted:

Dunno, I'm not exactly an expert on international litigation. There's usually a contractually designated court that has jurisdiction over third-party sellers in an international marketplace like that, though.
I'm not even talking international litigation. Like if you identify a malware application that is provably illegal on Steam who's actually going to investigate that crime? One of Steam's many customer service representatives? Your local police department?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
eBay has a cart. The site where you bid on poo poo in an auction that takes multiple days to complete has a cart. I don't know how that works exactly but its there

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ghostlight posted:

I'm not even talking international litigation. Like if you identify a malware application that is provably illegal on Steam who's actually going to investigate that crime? One of Steam's many customer service representatives? Your local police department?
I'm not sure what exactly your point there is? Depending on how damaging and widespread the malware is, that kind of thing is investigated by (for example) the FBI, which is the agency in charge of investigating computer crimes in the US. I'm assuming that something like this would, at the very least, lead to a court order demanding that Valve remove the game from their marketplace and reveal the names and locations of the developers and/or publishers of the product, even if they can't directly prosecute because the company is based in Cambodia or whatever.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Ghostlight posted:

FBI, possibly also UNATCO

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

StrixNebulosa posted:

I need to play more of it to have an actual review-worthy opinion BUT real quick:

- if you want a character action rpg, get the Witcher / AssCreed Origin/Odyssey
- if you want the more action/spectacle stuff in the gujian3 style, get Bayonetta or the Devil May Cry series
- if you must have the asian flavoring, Nioh or (haven't played this yet myself) Toukiden

and if you MUST have a chinese action rpg with specifically chinese storytelling and flavoring, Gujian3.

I played the prologue chapter where you're a dying king - yet overpowered. You learn the combat with a fully beefed character, discover that you're dying and your twin brother still doesn't want the throne (as he's lived on earth and hates spirit people) and in order to protect your capital you fight a boss fight that's actually a little tricky.

Then chapter one starts and you're the twin brother back on earth teaching kids how to fight before going off to do chores.

Combat was roughly fine on a keyboard/mouse but a controller is better. The translation is fine but like, note that my tolerance is extremely high for this kind of thing and I'm playing community/fan-translated Scroll of Taiwu.

I intend to play more soon, as it's a solid 34.4 gigs on my harddrive and either I play a game that big or I uninstall it. (honestly that goes for any game 10 gigs and up, I want to play what I have installed, not stare at it and never play it)

Nice one Strix, thanks for the mini-review. I've literally played all the games you listed as alternatives though, and I don't really mind wonky translation as long as the gameplay itself is good & the story makes sense, so yeah, looking forward to more of your impressions.

pentyne posted:

I saw it described as kind of free roam chinese arpg with better combat then Witcher 3. I bought it in the sale and I'll probably play it soon and have some opinions.

Nice, looking forward to your opinions then.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

UN...UNATCO?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the epic store hasn't added a feature to their client in over a year. they took that roadmap down for a reason

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm playing through Shantae and the Seven Sirens and...I'm confused why people find this game disappointing? It's a great game that combines all of the best aspects of the previous game (Monster Transformation from RR, Quick Ability Select from PC, and HD graphics from HGH) along with its own interesting features.

It may win out for my favorite in the series and overtake Pirate's Curse.

It's fine, I don't really get why people wouldn't like it either.

I dunno that I'd put it above Pirate's Curse but it's like, probably right behind it?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's decent, but the boss fights, music and map design are all nowhere near as good as Pirate's Curse.

tbh the only good boss fights were the Risky Boots fights and the first phase of the final boss

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

The idea behind not having a cart is not seeing how much you spend in one go. It's a psychological thing.

Then again it's the EGS so you're mainly going there to get the freebies which cost 0. :shrug:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's decent, but the boss fights, music and map design are all nowhere near as good as Pirate's Curse.

tbh the only good boss fights were the Risky Boots fights and the first phase of the final boss

I'm finding the map design to be the best in the series. I agree about the boss fights and the music.

Still much better than Risky's Revenge and Half Genie Hero.

It also actually has a good story.

It just seems that people are disappointed with the game and there is barely any buzz about it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 14, 2020

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
No. Savage.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Falcorum posted:

The idea behind not having a cart is not seeing how much you spend in one go. It's a psychological thing.

Then again it's the EGS so you're mainly going there to get the freebies which cost 0. :shrug:

lmao, just loving lmao at the idea that not having a cart function is epic being humanitarian and sparing people from spending too much. lmao forever

like seriously, how broke is your brain???

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I think hes saying the opposite
Like buying three games one at a time youre less likely to notice youre spending $180

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Steam is three things: A way to manage your digital games collection, a storefront, and a social space to connect. The first is what people actually care about, launching games, sorting games, playing games, etc. It could be better, but it's still the best at this of all the alternatives (I haven't tried GOG galaxy though). The second should be Valve's primary motivation, it's how they make their money after all, but for some reason they've decided that if they can push the third as much as possible then that will create platform investment which will drive the sales. All the sales gimmicks, trading cards, social experiments, etc are about trying to create an engagement in the platform that makes people spend time with it and, as a consequence, money.
To a large extent they've succeeded, look at all the people for whom steam is PC games, but I think they misunderstand what ties those people to Steam and have missed a lot of opportunities to make the store itself more useable and the library of owned games more manageable, and even to make the social features better.

I really don't care about Steam or Epic or any other storefront for the games management aspect, either. I buy the game, then I click on it, then it runs, which all launchers seem to generally do with equal efficacy.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Halo 3 is coming out for the Master Chief Collection on PC today, and it looks like it's actually a really good port this time.

Also coming is audio fixes for and Forge mode for Reach. Also, brand new unlockable weapon and vehicle skins for Halo:CE's multiplayer, weirdly (can be turned off if you don't like them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5flcgbg2Q

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Veotax posted:

Halo 3 is coming out for the Master Chief Collection on PC today, and it looks like it's actually a really good port this time.

Oh are the previous games ports not good, I picked up the collection on the last steam sale and haven't really put time into it yet

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ShootaBoy posted:

lmao, just loving lmao at the idea that not having a cart function is epic being humanitarian and sparing people from spending too much. lmao forever

like seriously, how broke is your brain???
I think they're saying the exact opposite. A shopping cart shows you how much you're spending in one go, so you can decide that you don't actually want to spend $100 today, even if the games are 70% off. Without one, you end up getting the death of a thousand cuts because you don't get that visual feedback that you're spending $100 today.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Also coming out today: Death Stranding. If you were going to skip it because it's just some weird game made by an auteur with his head up his rear end, I'd urge you to reconsider. It's definitely a strange game with a lot of unfamiliar game mechanics, and a story that's kind of hit or miss, but it's a really unique experience and those game mechanics are actually really well through out and fit together pretty nicely. It actually made me feel a lot like Outer Wilds, in that I had experienced something really singular and memorable, that did a very good job using gameplay to convey its meaning instead of just emotional cutscenes (though there are a whole lot of cutscenes, goddamn).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean I briefly watched some gameplay and it looks so insanely boring to play most of the time I can't imagine enjoying it, especially not at full AAA release day pricing. Maybe once it goes on sale for 50% or so.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

death stranding is unique, amazing, wonderful and moving and if you can accept that Kojima puts movie length cutscenes in his games you need it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Oh are the previous games ports not good, I picked up the collection on the last steam sale and haven't really put time into it yet

They just launched with a few issues, most notably Reach's audio being uhh..real weird. But that's now fixed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kirbysuperstar posted:

They just launched with a few issues, most notably Reach's audio being uhh..real weird. But that's now fixed.

It is? It annoyed the poo poo out of me, that's really good

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean I briefly watched some gameplay and it looks so insanely boring to play most of the time I can't imagine enjoying it, especially not at full AAA release day pricing. Maybe once it goes on sale for 50% or so.

It's one of those games where the gameplay really doesn't shine unless you're actually playing it. It looks boring and it should be boring but it's actually weirdly engaging.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Death Stranding is the ultimate walking sim. That's not a dig at it, if you like walking sims, there's nothing better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would have liked Death Stranding a lot more if it was in fact a meditative walking sim but the experience was ruined for me by some of the worst dialogue I've ever experienced in a video game. Just hours and hours of completely flat exposition all read in the same exact tone of voice by inconfident screen actors who have never read for a video game before. Only Mads and Troy Baker seemed to know what they were doing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Death Stranding looks cool and I want to play it but the new Harvest Moon drops today and I'm going to be busy.

e: in case you missed it, I'm talking about story of seasons friends of mineral town

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I haven't played it but I feel like Death Stranding would appeal to gamers who like "movement" because that's where it looks like the bulk of the game is to me! Balancing just how much you can carry feasibly through weird terrain. Maybe not as sexy as, I dunno, Mirror's Edge or Dying Light but possibly scratching a similar "how do I get from here to there"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Death Stranding seems to me like the kinda game I want to wait 2-3 years for a Steam summer sale when it’s $5-$10.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Artelier posted:

I haven't played it but I feel like Death Stranding would appeal to gamers who like "movement" because that's where it looks like the bulk of the game is to me! Balancing just how much you can carry feasibly through weird terrain. Maybe not as sexy as, I dunno, Mirror's Edge or Dying Light but possibly scratching a similar "how do I get from here to there"

It's all about how, where and when you move, but it's like a sort of chiral image of dying light, because while there are time constrains, you'll make your decisions at a beautiful glacial pace compared to the twitching impulsivity of dying light or mirror's edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
So a few days ago I started LISA and bounced off of the game something fierce. I ended up watching an LP instead, which confirmed very quickly that Earthbound style games just aren't for me.

Not that this is a bad thing, as from an outsider perspective LISA seems to be a good example of the style and genre. I'd much rather prefer a game developed without compromise to an artistic vision, rather than watering things down to appeal to the widest audience possible.

If you do have LISA in your Steam library and are yet to give it a shot, try it for about an hour or so. If it doesn't grab you by then but you are interested in the story, stop playing and watch an LP instead.