Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It’s a leading turn and OP entered on the momentary all red. Just pay the $50 in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Josh Lyman posted:

These were the photos included on the ticket. The cross-traffic had stopped so my left turn and the opposite left turn got a green arrow, then yellow arrow, then a momentary red light before it went to a green light and the non-turning lanes also got a green light. I guess their argument is that the yellow arrow turned to a red light before I entered the intersection. The citation is "failure to comply with traffic light signal."

This is the same angle on Google Maps:

I see you sitting behind the line on the red light and then proceeding into the intersection. What am I missing here? You realize the yellow light means clear the intersection, right? It doesn't mean accelerate quickly and try to make it into the intersection a fraction of a second before it ticks red so you have a technical defense if you get a ticket, right?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I guess their argument is that the yellow arrow turned to a red light before I entered the intersection.

Seems like a pretty strong argument to me, since you just sent us two pictures of you entering an intersection while your light was red??

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
listen judge fuckbottom, seeing color is a privilege, and black lives matter.. along with that, you see football is abolishing the Redskins name? With that said, I feel you shoudl also abolish my red light ticket as it makes me feel like I have red skin. In conclusion, driving is a land of contrasts, I yield my time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Seems like a pretty strong argument to me, since you just sent us two pictures of you entering an intersection while your light was red??

Traffic lawyer has spoken.

E: conceptually running a red light is just a different kind of parking ticket

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean, you could go fight it. Is your time worth the $50, though? Because you're probably still gonna have to pay that $50.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
A few questions about my landlord and tenant situation, and their eviction at the bottom, the wall of text is the massively cut down summary of the situation. Yes, this was very stupid to do, we were stressed, desperate for help (moving, winterizing), wife was 8 months pregnant, you could argue we were not of sound mind, etc etc

Wayne County, MI, wholly owned property (no mortgage). I have some uncooperative tenants that are staying at our house under a verbal agreement made in November 2019 that was basically rent to own (buy after 1 year through land contract if they proved to us that they could pay rent on time, or a mortgage if their credit was sufficient). They took that as they had a year before they had to do any prep at all to purchase and that rent was optional. In February, we tried to get them to sign a written agreement (monthly rent starting March 1 for 1 year), but they disagreed with the terms; refused to sign. Due to the state lock down, we kept it tenancy-at-will, mostly communicating via email and sometimes Facebook/sms. They agreed in email to pay rent starting March 1. We didn't get the first payment until mid-May, and a second payment early June, both after we sent messages in March, May and June reminding them of unpaid rent and requesting to show proof that they could buy the house or we would have to sell to someone else because the sale process takes months. They kept saying they had a year before they had to buy; didn't understand why they should prepare in advance. We had to use a mediator (relative who set this up to begin with; not an agency) to get them to sort-of cooperate. Mediator confirmed they have multiple credit/mortgage pre-approval issues, and they are completely unwilling to start fixing them until Q1 2021 at the earliest. They decided to cut off all contact with us (blocking phone/FB, possibly email), called any attempt to communicate with them as “harassment” (even filing a report with police), denied me access to the property (I sent a Notice of Entry 48 hours in advance), AND told Mediator they were unwilling to pay rent or work with us, and were planning on staying there free for as long as possible (and then cut off communication with the mediator too).

Obviously we want them gone (and I want to sell). I sent them a Notice to Quit to Recover Possession of Property (dc100c), per our lawyer's recommendation (not an eviction due to missing back rent, just termination of oral agreement). The 30 days of that expire this coming Friday. Assuming the eviction moratorium in our state is allowed to expire Wednesday, I plan on filing for eviction Monday, July 20 (assuming our lawyer agrees).

There are other factors; this is massively simplified; we have contacted a lawyer before giving them the Notice to Quit, but I don't want to pay for “what if” questions that are very likely not going to happen.

My actual questions: (mostly to help settle my wife's nerves)
1. How likely is it that a judge would refuse to grant evictions at this time and we have to live with it and to not expect rent?
2. How likely would a judge be to force all involved to sign a lease agreement? Should I have one written up and prepared just in case? (Previous agreements had rent at well below market, and then they decided on a number even lower)
3. How likely would a judge be to require that we do an eviction due to back rent? (I should have that paperwork with me if this goes before a judge.)
4. How likely would a judge be to enforce the unsigned rental agreement and we can't do anything before the end of the agreement term?
5. Let's assume that they have to stay for a while and I can still sell. Can they really flat out refuse entry to all potential buyers/viewers?
6. Can the judge at all say “you had a verbal agreement, they want to wait a year before buying, deal with it”?

VVV Yeah, I figured about as much too. I have a lot to talk to the lawyer about, but I wanted to give my wife some answer sooner rather than later and only really want to contact the lawyer once I can get some concrete answers (like when the moratorium is lifted).

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 14, 2020

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Sorry dude but you should pay your attorney to answer your questions

Also the answer to “how likely is judge to do X” is “who the gently caress knows” most of the time

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fire Storm posted:

VVV Yeah, I figured about as much too. I have a lot to talk to the lawyer about, but I wanted to give my wife some answer sooner rather than later and only really want to contact the lawyer once I can get some concrete answers (like when the moratorium is lifted).

If you told the lawyer you want them evicted then just do everything they say because that's all you can do. Your lawyer will have every answer you need.

I just watched my landlord pay the family who wouldn't move out or pay the full rent a flat $2k for them to agree to surrender the tenancy because his lawyer told him its the fastest,cheapest, and safest way to get them out.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Pay your dumb ticket.

And talk to your attorney. That's why you pay your attorney. Your attorney's job is to run through the various scenarios to navigate the situation.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This happened a while back where a developer outsourced work to China and everyone was happy with it until his job eventually found out: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/01/16/169528579/outsourced-employee-sends-own-job-to-china-surfs-web

Which got me thinking, what if friend A helps friend B with an interview for a work-from-home job (feeds them technical answers in an earpiece) and once B is hired then A just chips in occasionally when B is over their head on something(assuming they can handle 95% of the routine work). Can the company realistically sue upon finding out, if there's no legitimate security or safety concerns introduced by B's partial incompetence?

Different scenario: what if a person already works a remote helpdesk ticket job and is so effective that they can apply and get hired at several more similar positions, picking up 3 or 4 salaries from all the different companies. If there's nothing in the contracts that forbid them from doing that, are they all set? Can employers still be tipped off to how many other jobs a person has, from tax reporting?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zero VGS posted:

This happened a while back where a developer outsourced work to China and everyone was happy with it until his job eventually found out: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/01/16/169528579/outsourced-employee-sends-own-job-to-china-surfs-web

Which got me thinking, what if friend A helps friend B with an interview for a work-from-home job (feeds them technical answers in an earpiece) and once B is hired then A just chips in occasionally when B is over their head on something(assuming they can handle 95% of the routine work). Can the company realistically sue upon finding out, if there's no legitimate security or safety concerns introduced by B's partial incompetence?

Different scenario: what if a person already works a remote helpdesk ticket job and is so effective that they can apply and get hired at several more similar positions, picking up 3 or 4 salaries from all the different companies. If there's nothing in the contracts that forbid them from doing that, are they all set? Can employers still be tipped off to how many other jobs a person has, from tax reporting?

Not US.

First case, may a company pursue criminal charges for actively and fraudulently presenting yourself as competent in a field you do not in fact have competency in? Gonna land on a solid maybe, it absolutely could be criminal depending on the job. Basically the same as claiming an education you don't have, if you are misrepresenting the truth for monetary gain (like a job you're not supposed to have) that scans. If it's a licensed job, then for sure since you' d have to forge a license. If it's a public job yeah that's a flat two year prison stint.

May a company fire you for it and is it a breach of duty of loyalty sufficient to allow the company to pursue a civil case for compensation while they find a replacement and/or garnish wages? Yes.

Different scenario: You may take as many jobs as you wish if it isn't forbidden by statute, a contract or it fucks with your work performance. None of the employers business normally, but exceptions may apply such as non-compete clauses and suchlike. Although over here you pay 50% flat taxes on your second job so it's pretty rare to see folks have one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We definitely had the first case happen, a person cheating on a tech interview and then trying to cut it and failing and confessing. It was a contractor though so the legalities were different.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The thing about judges is: they really do not give a gently caress.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

The thing about judges is: they really do not give a gently caress.

Just want to emptyquote this forever.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

smackfu posted:

We definitely had the first case happen, a person cheating on a tech interview and then trying to cut it and failing and confessing. It was a contractor though so the legalities were different.

I'll take "what is attempted fraud" for "the exact same punishment" Alex.

I mean, if it's a contractor they can still be charged with fraud or attempted fraud. Again, the situation is entirely dependent on the facts but fraud is not limited to employer/employee relationships.

It's just that at least in employer/employee relationships there's an assumed/case law established/statutory/consuetudinary mutual duty of loyalty there - a mutual trust that establishes a liability link. This has many effects, the employers duty to provide a safe work environment, the employees duty to criticise the employer through proper channels etc. etc. This also puts a more than purely contractual liability on the employee for costs associated with that employees defraudment of the employer.

Although of course it's easy to imagine a similar provision in a contracting agreement, with similar results. Also gently caress individual contracting and the gig economy, hire people.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It’s a leading turn and OP entered on the momentary all red. Just pay the $50 in my opinion.
Yeah ultimately I was looking for clarification on whether it's a "real" red light or just part of the signal cycle since, practically speaking, you're able to left turn for the entire period from the green arrow for left-turn only through the normal green light until the final red, with the caveat that you're supposed to yield during the normal green light.

There's also the cute aspect that I live less than a 10 minute walk from the county courthouse. But yeah, I'll just pay the ticket. 2.5% processing fee for online payment though. :argh:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah ultimately I was looking for clarification on whether it's a "real" red light or just part of the signal cycle since, practically speaking, you're able to left turn for the entire period from the green arrow for left-turn only through the normal green light until the final red, with the caveat that you're supposed to yield during the normal green light.

There's also the cute aspect that I live less than a 10 minute walk from the county courthouse. But yeah, I'll just pay the ticket. 2.5% processing fee for online payment though. :argh:

In most states, those "Red Light Camera" tickets are not criminal citations like a normal ticket - they're a 'civil penalty' or some other poo poo. What the cities will do is hire a private company to install these cameras all throughout the city's intersection and run the system that reports the violation, and auto-generate the "ticket" you get in the mail. Often times, the city literally has nothing to do with the process other than having city council vote every year whether or not to renew the private company's contract, and keep that sweet sweet easy revenue rolling in.

How its handled from there is some combination of requesting some kind of administration from the private company, which will never result in the "ticket" getting dismissed, and then some other step that maybe gets the ticket referred to the local Court, which may or may not be an instant dismissal or unavoidable conviction and the whole process may or may not be entirely unconstitutional.

And then the "ticket" itself, if you just never pay it, may result in suspending your license, preventing you from registering your vehicle due to an administrative hold, or, like the city I live in where the Comptroller has said, "gently caress that bullshit, I'm not enforcing them because I hate it." the tax office just ignores it and they have no remedy whatsoever if you just don't pay it.

Its all super hosed up, and, in my opinion as a former prosecutor, entirely unconstitutional, and also at the exact price point where its not worth it to fight about it. :shrug:

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Specifically in VA it's been ruled unconstitutional many times over but local governments keep lobbying for it and finally got it to stick a few years ago. I've got a few pals in the house of delegates and that's what they've told me at least.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
UN Canada if you're a contractor you can usually subcontract the work, and it's considered one of the 'tests' to see if you're really a contractor vs the employer being a scumbag who doesn't want to do the right thing.

So subcontracting out your job might actually be a legit option (assuming there's no other issues like confidentiality or professional competency).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Josh Lyman posted:

Assuming you get a red light before the green then it’s a red light.

Sometimes the signals use cameras and plates to switch phases. So the signal would know, for example, that there is nobody calling for a left turn in the oncoming direction. So the straight traffic on your side will go from red to full green, your green arrow will turn amber and then just turn off and you have a green (left turn yield to oncoming). In that case I would say you didn’t run anything red. This is more common where there isn’t double left turning traffic, like turning left to enter a freeway on ramp.

It looks like your signal was on a timer, so it gets an all red before the green. This is to let left turn traffic clear the intersection before the full green.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zero VGS posted:

If they ever find out about Stack Overflow, my oh my.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The person outsourcing their job is absolutely on the hook for breach of confidence of literally any company information/trade secrets they've divulged without permission to an unauthorised person.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I can't seem to find consistent information about what's required for a last will and testament in Ohio. Does it have to be prepared by a lawyer? Can the person in question just write out their wishes and sign it? I assume it needs a witness. It would be extremely simple, there's one kid and no other family so there's no complex dividing up or anything to deal with.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ohio bar says signed with two witnesses:

https://www.ohiobar.org/public-resources/commonly-asked-law-questions-results/law-facts/law-facts-wills/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't seem to find consistent information about what's required for a last will and testament in Ohio. Does it have to be prepared by a lawyer? Can the person in question just write out their wishes and sign it? I assume it needs a witness. It would be extremely simple, there's one kid and no other family so there's no complex dividing up or anything to deal with.

As your lawyer I am advising you to do a holographic will on your deathbed. Also leave everything to your dog. This is the best way.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I have a disability accommodation plan in place with my university. At the beginning of every semester, they send my instructors my list with language in the email (but not in the plan) that says I have to request any accommodations I want to use in advance. Some of the items on my plan list under my responsibilities notifying the instructor in advance, but several others only say I have to deal with the accommodation center.

I'm new at this, but it strikes me as bullshit that the apparent expectation is for me to essentially respond to that notification email with a "yup I need everything in my plan" in order to be covered by things like "provide written expectations/classroom rules" or "provide written feedback" that only list my registration with accessibility as my responsibility.

Is it normal to have to jump through hoops to get basic accommodations like this?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That have no interest in the will.

My uncle signed as a witness for my grandfather’s online form will and my mom said her brother clearly hadn’t read any mystery novels.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah they have to find wills like, super boring.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

BonerGhost posted:

I have a disability accommodation plan in place with my university. At the beginning of every semester, they send my instructors my list with language in the email (but not in the plan) that says I have to request any accommodations I want to use in advance. Some of the items on my plan list under my responsibilities notifying the instructor in advance, but several others only say I have to deal with the accommodation center.

I'm new at this, but it strikes me as bullshit that the apparent expectation is for me to essentially respond to that notification email with a "yup I need everything in my plan" in order to be covered by things like "provide written expectations/classroom rules" or "provide written feedback" that only list my registration with accessibility as my responsibility.

Is it normal to have to jump through hoops to get basic accommodations like this?
I don't know if this is the thread for it, but yes, it's normal, it's what I did in college. Many students need different accommodations for different classes, so you just request what you need for each class. If you need the exact same thing regardless of class or format or teacher, I can see it would get repetitive though.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Seems like you could get that down to a form letter and fill in blanks if it's the same stuff for every class.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The disconnect for me is that everything I need is on the drat list which is sent to my instructors. It just seems like a way to create a gotcha where an instructor isn't required to write down their expectations unless I tell them "yes I really do need you to write down what you expect" even though it's on my plan and my only responsibility listed for using that accommodation is to have the accommodation on my plan.

It seems like an additional burden to accessing accommodations where I get dicked over if I didn't anticipate an instructor giving out this information verbally in not-required review session meetings, for example.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

The disconnect for me is that everything I need is on the drat list which is sent to my instructors. It just seems like a way to create a gotcha where an instructor isn't required to write down their expectations unless I tell them "yes I really do need you to write down what you expect" even though it's on my plan and my only responsibility listed for using that accommodation is to have the accommodation on my plan.

It seems like an additional burden to accessing accommodations where I get dicked over if I didn't anticipate an instructor giving out this information verbally in not-required review session meetings, for example.

It's uncommon (but not rare) for students with approved accommodations to find that they don't need a given accommodation in a certain class (making the request a matter of the student's discretion), common for faculty to want students to take an active role in their education, and extremely common for faculty to not want to take orders from the administration directly.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

homullus posted:

It's uncommon (but not rare) for students with approved accommodations to find that they don't need a given accommodation in a certain class (making the request a matter of the student's discretion), common for faculty to want students to take an active role in their education, and extremely common for faculty to not want to take orders from the administration directly.

E: honestly I'm mainly pissed off about this instructor blowing off my request for a written explanation and being really rude about it to boot. The way I have to access accommodations just doesn't make sense to me, but if it's legal it's legal I guess.

Thanks for chiming in but I want to point out that framing this as "an active role in my education" is really dismissive of not only the work I do in my classes but the additional work I have to do to access legally required accommodations, including advising instructors how to make their classes accessible (which is normally a paid position) because abled people don't consider any of this labor their responsibility.

An accommodation plan is not a list of my disabilities. It's a document that says what accommodations I'm entitled to, gives the instructor guidance on how to implement them, and specifies my responsibilities in requesting them. It seems ridiculous and an additional burden to access that I should have to tell each instructor "yes you do actually need to post your expectations initially in writing either in the syllabus or in another document as outlined in the accommodation plan just sent to you which does not list me telling you to do this as a requirement".

Like if I were in a wheelchair, would I need to tell instructors "yeah it says on my accommodation plan that I need physical access to the building, please make sure you did the basic requirements of your job thanks" in order to be assured of access?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 15, 2020

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That does sound extremely dumb. I'd just bcc all these people a generic "yes I need all of these" paragraph and consider your portion of the email tag ritual satisfied

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BonerGhost posted:

E: honestly I'm mainly pissed off about this instructor blowing off my request for a written explanation and being really rude about it to boot. The way I have to access accommodations just doesn't make sense to me, but if it's legal it's legal I guess.

Thanks for chiming in but I want to point out that framing this as "an active role in my education" is really dismissive of not only the work I do in my classes but the additional work I have to do to access legally required accommodations, including advising instructors how to make their classes accessible (which is normally a paid position) because abled people don't consider any of this labor their responsibility.

An accommodation plan is not a list of my disabilities. It's a document that says what accommodations I'm entitled to, gives the instructor guidance on how to implement them, and specifies my responsibilities in requesting them. It seems ridiculous and an additional burden to access that I should have to tell each instructor "yes you do actually need to post your expectations initially in writing either in the syllabus or in another document as outlined in the accommodation plan just sent to you which does not list me telling you to do this as a requirement".

Like if I were in a wheelchair, would I need to tell instructors "yeah it says on my accommodation plan that I need physical access to the building, please make sure you did the basic requirements of your job thanks" in order to be assured of access?

Is the written explanation of expectations a common thing or term of art professors would understand? Because as a layperson I don’t understand the point of it. Is it a social anxiety thing? Earlier you made it sound like it was related to not being able to participate in review sessions fully?

The syllabus has served as that written expectation of attendance and participation in classes I have taken.

It may be that he genuinely does not understand what function this accommodation is meant to serve.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Devor posted:

Is the written explanation of expectations a common thing or term of art professors would understand? Because as a layperson I don’t understand the point of it. Is it a social anxiety thing? Earlier you made it sound like it was related to not being able to participate in review sessions fully?

The syllabus has served as that written expectation of attendance and participation in classes I have taken.

It may be that he genuinely does not understand what function this accommodation is meant to serve.

Nah it's super common, spelled out clearly in the plan, and something instructors would be familiar with. I also would expect that info to be given in the syllabus, but I've lived as an autistic person for over 30 years, and one of the things I've learned is that non-autistics very commonly impose unwritten rules that people like me have no chance to suss out. The requirement to write down expectations is there so there's a clear reference.

The specific issue I've run into right now is getting docked points for something the TA (responsible for grading) has told me was "inappropriate". I think he means like a curse word or something, which I didn't use, and he won't explain because he said it's been "repeatedly addressed". I don't know when or how it would have been addressed because it's not in the syllabus, any of the course announcements, or the instructions for the assignments, and he's certainly given me no previous feedback about it.

I suspect this is something conveyed during the live meetings, which are not required and according to the agendas posted, are review sessions and ungraded live coding sessions. I have a particularly hard time following sessions like these because of my disability, and I wasn't aware important course info beyond the review was being given out in these sessions given the documented need for written expectations and the fact that the instructor provides recaps of the sessions that don't include this info. It especially doesn't help that I have a spotty internet connection in the evenings that doesn't play nice with Zoom, thanks to everyone in my apartment building being at home streaming video at the same time.

The 10% I lost on this assignment isn't going to break my grade, but I missed points on things while distracted about police shooting protestors with tear gas below my apartment windows and a few weeks later missed a couple assignments when I had to get a hand stitched up (I'm not good at typing with one hand). They're super clear that there is no late work and no makeups for any reason. There was a broken assignment where several people weren't able to access a needed resource and they still wouldn't give any affected students full credit if turned in by a new deadline. There are regularly mistakes on graded quizzes. I still can't view my first exam result from a over a month ago, which had a 1 week deadline for grade disputes. It was before the poo poo hit the fan and I wrongly thought at the time it wasn't worth making a stink over, but I need a C+ in this class to take the next one and that's not going to happen if some capricious dickhead arbitrarily takes away points for not following rules that don't exist.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

Yup. I am not speaking as a college professor, but as somebody who used to deal with them. What should actually happen is departments should be told about the common accommodations when they submit a new course for review, and in that process explain how the course deals with them (or if the course literally cannot, that should be up front information for all students). The instructors for a course should know about how accommodations work in advance, and be prepared to make those changes to the course as soon as a student who needs them adds the course within the prescribed period.

Not all disabilities can be accommodated in all curricula, in all classes, but higher ed has been dealing with this for many decades and really ought to have it routinized by now. They frame it as your taking an active role in your education.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Them refusing to tell you what it was for would be the point at which I started making noise up the ladder, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

homullus posted:

Yup. I am not speaking as a college professor, but as somebody who used to deal with them. What should actually happen is departments should be told about the common accommodations when they submit a new course for review, and in that process explain how the course deals with them (or if the course literally cannot, that should be up front information for all students). The instructors for a course should know about how accommodations work in advance, and be prepared to make those changes to the course as soon as a student who needs them adds the course within the prescribed period.

Not all disabilities can be accommodated in all curricula, in all classes, but higher ed has been dealing with this for many decades and really ought to have it routinized by now. They frame it as your taking an active role in your education.

I agree 100%. It's infuriating in the first place that the burden falls on the disabled person, but my disability is an executive processing disorder. I'm expected to do flawlessly what career educators and specialists can't be bothered to do, and I pay for the privilege.

The TA got back to me and said "it's in materials (no it isn't) and videos from the beginning of the semester (so not written)" and essentially said 'you did it right before so you must have known' along with "the consistency of submissions are default and expected". Completely refused to point out what he was talking about despite me asking point blank what was wrong and where I could find a style guide.

Literally what we're talking about is I wrote user input prompts from the perspective of a robot that might have a little casual disdain for organic lifeforms, and he's evidently pissed off about calling a user "meat bag". Why would I think it would be fine to be creative and have a little fun where the prompts/output weren't specified? Because I did it for the entire last semester for fun and got excellent feedback from the instructor and grader TA. So this dickhead thinks it's some universal truism that there can be no fun in a computer programming assignment because he personally doesn't believe in fun and he keeps referring to "the word" I used in the line (there are about 15 of them actually) as if it's some ribald slur, when the instructor's recorded lectures are full of variables literally called FUBAR. Lest y'all think I'm being purposefully obtuse, it took me until like today to guess that's what he's talking about.

I just responded that I'd address it with accessibility services so he can sweat all night (he won't because he's a worthless dick but I can dream).

I would love more than anything to punch his teeth down his throat but I'll settle for him having to do his loving job.

Javid posted:

Them refusing to tell you what it was for would be the point at which I started making noise up the ladder, personally.

Fortunately I did email the accessibility office about it, but my specialist won't be in until tomorrow, so I'm stuck waiting on that. I've been stewing for a couple days over this guy being an rear end in a top hat about it which is not really the norm for me, but hey it's a pandemic, emotional disregulation is basically the name of the game these days.

Stay tuned for an update tomorrow after accessibility tells me to get my knees dirty for this shithead.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 16, 2020