Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

a month or two ago I posted about how I was seeing more FOR SALE real estate signs out in front of former restaurants and shops I drive by going to/from work

yesterday I saw six(!) in a row, for an entire strip mall, thought of this thread and lmao'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Crazycryodude posted:

The 8 million normal people stuck there probably don't deserve it

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i bought some Altria (MO) because its dividend yield is at about 8.5% now and also because stocks only go up. since their business is tobacco and booze they will do fine

worst case scenario: we end up living in the snow crash future and i have already established my citizenship in the autonomous zones of Mr. Morris' Greater Virginia

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

it's way worse than SF because the city planning all took place 150 years earlier

The way older European cities I've been to aren't littered with trash bags, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I would like to see those earnings now. 😁

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Tesla is going to fake earnings more than they ever have in the past, inclusion in the sp500 is another layer of protection from sec action

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Fame Douglas posted:

The way older European cities I've been to aren't littered with trash bags, though.

I see you haven't visited Naples.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a goon earlier just said that things will get better when the boomers die off, and from a healthcare perspective i disagree.

not because getting them the gently caress off this rock won't be a massive improvement; it will be

but the money they've made will vanish with them

im not talking about the mega rich. gently caress them their kids will be mega rich pieces of poo poo too

im talking about your bog standard home owning middle class trump voting boomer poo poo lord. the entire healthcare industry is set up around either defrauding medicare or stealing from the boomers. and they will spend every dime they have to live in the most luxury possible right up until the day they die, and they will try to time it just possible.

oh sure there might be a life insurance policy and maybe their kids might get some of it, if collectors don't come around to demand a share, but that home? already ReMo'd to burt reynolds. retirement community is already picked out.

And they're going to live for loving ever. The things that used to make them drop dead in their forties and fifties have been defeated. They'll just roll along, voting GOP, spending their money on bronze bracelets and Place For Mom and taking sildenafil and all their illbegotten money will just vanish into a bank account in delaware.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Their money won't disappear. Someone else will just have it.

So the rich will get richer. Big deal, our objective remains the same: redistribute the wealth by first and foremost seizing the means of production.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Their money won't disappear. Someone else will just have it.

So the rich will get richer. Big deal, our objective remains the same: redistribute the wealth by first and foremost seizing the means of production.

yeah but at that point the production will just be like benzos mass produced from a bunker in new zealand

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
NorthmanTrader is the funniest dude on Twitter. He absolutely hates the Fed and rage posts every day.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

err posted:

NorthmanTrader is the funniest dude on Twitter. He absolutely hates the Fed and rage posts every day.

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1282986297313943552?s=19

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Glad we lent money to these folks!

Hedge funds lie?!

Money well spent!

You're welcome, America!

Get those NUMBERS up, Delta!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

err posted:

there's lots of great anti fatcat content in austrian economics/zerohedge adjacent twitter but then you'll stumble into some absolutely batshit pedophilia acceptance or TERF poo poo. That northman guy keeps it on topic tho

I'm a fan of the ramp capital guy and stock cats myself

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
wait no this guy is the best

https://mobile.twitter.com/RudyHavenstein

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1282995003485302784

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oxsnard posted:

it still blows my mind that every sidewalk in manhattan is permanently lined with piles of trash just sitting out in the open

this is what surprised me the most when i worked out there last year. just so much trash that dumpsters don’t even work any more. mountains of it. they’d drown in it if the garbage collectors all quit

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Elon can do no wrong. From a value vs profitability perspective tesla is the most successful company of all time

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

so they really have no idea what going on around them don't they? the USA is on autopilot to revolution and no one at the top realizes enough to try and stop it

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I'm kinda baffled at how tone-dead Trumps presidential campaign is. He really seems to have won by accident, almost.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

My favorite part of nyc trash is when it snows and a trash pile is covered and it sits there until the snow melts and it turns into a giant pile of week[s] old rotting watergarbage

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Egg Moron posted:

My favorite part of nyc trash is when it snows and a trash pile is covered and it sits there until the snow melts and it turns into a giant pile of week[s] old rotting watergarbage

global warming fixed this

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

Elon can do no wrong. From a value vs profitability perspective tesla is the most successful company of all time

if you want to think about it in historical context, at its peak, Enron was worth 80 billion dollars and the core businesses were actual real, profitable operations with reach throughout the country. Post bankruptcy, the assets were liquidated at something like 20-25 billion dollars

Tesla's California factory is worth *negative* hundreds of millions of dollars, the superchargers and nevada assets are worth maybe 2-3 billion and the brand at bankruptcy might be close to worthless, though I'd expect it to sell for a few billion. It's an order of magnitude more insane than enron, though how bad the accounting fraud is impossible to know until after the dust settles

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
in fact if you want to take it a step further, the ~$10 billion in legacy enron pipeline related infrastructure is probably worth $30 billion today

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
doesnt tesla own some patents and poo poo that would be worth something? seems like their less tangible property not related to actually producing a product would be worth more

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So the British managed to break the back of their binmen's union and usher in Thatcher by letting rubbish fill the streets during the winter of discontent, but Yanks just live with it constantly?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

cumshitter posted:

doesnt tesla own some patents and poo poo that would be worth something? seems like their less tangible property not related to actually producing a product would be worth more

no, they have almost no patents. Yet another piece of propaganda seeded by elon years ago

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Idk sven is going doomer today.
https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1282972656489295878?s=19
https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1282975983373627392?s=19

Oh and earnings are coming in.
https://twitter.com/hannahlevitt/status/1283005693293985793?s=19

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Admiral Ray posted:

35C wet bulb is the max temp that we can sweat at. it's 95F and 100% humidity, or a dew point of 95F. Not many places have ever hit that.

I can say categorically that I have had the extreme displeasure of experiencing those numbers in Louisiana many times

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I think during the 3 year early Volt development phase, GM filed for 3x more EV related patents than teslas entire portfolio. Their patents are almost exclusively dumb design poo poo that doesn't matter and isn't enforceable

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
no matter how dumb you think the Tesla bubble is I can assure you is is exponentially more ridiculous than that in reality

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Embracing the clinton 2016 messaging vis-a-vis improving the lives of our precious workers

Trump 2020, welcome to the resistance

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dear bitch,
I’m extremely happy in my job, your inept father is the reason I’m going to be unable to do it, and I am absolutely not interested in doing something else.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Traditional banking was a huge lose for banks in Q2, but investment banking was a yuge win!

Time to pivot and get out of those checking and savings account rackets.

Edit: lmao
https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1283001117832556545?s=19

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 14, 2020

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
ahahahahaha "find something new" is literallly just "let them eat cake"

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I hate that the default response is "were gonna find a new president in november :) " instead of "where do we keep the guillotine blade oil again?"

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Wasn’t Jamie Dimon transparently Biden’s treasury secretary

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Wasn’t Jamie Dimon transparently Biden’s treasury secretary

witchy posted:

biden will smuggle dimon into the wh in his butt

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

havent checked thread in months, holy poo poo we're back up to 26,000? ahahahaha

which weirdo was it here that was saying "the market just likes 26k"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/economics/status/1283021257102032898?s=20