Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ASAPI posted:

Morphine and codeine make us hyper

I don't even know if this in particular is resistance to anesthesia. Opioids in small doses will absolutely wake some people up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PETA is posting a cat dissection video as though it was one of those realistic looking cake videos

gently caress those people

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eej posted:

gently caress those people

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't even know if this in particular is resistance to anesthesia. Opioids in small doses will absolutely wake some people up

Malignant hypothermia (I think, it's directly linked to anasthesia) is a thing. A great uncle of mine died of it, an uncles' heart stopped 3 times from it, during a dental visit. These are my mothers' claims. I don't seem to carry whatever genetic mutation causes it, but it's safer not to go under just in case.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:golfclap:

Didn’t want this to go un-loved.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Malignant hypothermia (I think, it's directly linked to anasthesia) is a thing. A great uncle of mine died of it, an uncles' heart stopped 3 times from it, during a dental visit. These are my mothers' claims. I don't seem to carry whatever genetic mutation causes it, but it's safer not to go under just in case.

While hypothermia is indeed malignant, you mean malignant hyperthermia.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

No I'm saying that while painkillers will absolutely make most or many people tired, they won't make everybody nod off. At least in small doses. As for them not working, well paradoxical reactions are a thing too. In short, pharamacology in general seems way too over my head to truly understand

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I guess I'm lucky, pain meds knock me out faster then Marvin Frazier.

Give me a hydrocodone tab and I'm out for 12 hours at least.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

As Nero Danced posted:

I guess I got lucky with my wisdom teeth, both my top ones were pulled while I was awake and I didn't even feel it afterwards. The last one was so easy I got out of the chair and followed the dentist saying "hey, come back, you aren't done." She even let me keep the tooth. Coolest dentist ever.

Also don't shout Candy Bar after the dentist does their work, shockingly few of mine ever got the joke.

Mine didn't let me keep the tooth. Didn't even think to snap a phone pic of it. :(

Picture a wisdom tooth with a crown that completely disintegrated into nothing over the course of a year and a half, leaving behind a partly-blackened stump. Now imagine keeping that wisdom tooth for that long because you had no dental coverage and kept getting quoted upwards to $1k by local dentists.

The anesthetic injections were the most painful part of the procedure. After that, I didn't feel anything aside from a bunch of faint tugging and popping. Anesthetic didn't wear off until two or three hours later, but I only had a little soreness managed with some ibprofen.

Kazinsal posted:

I had mine out under "IV sedation" instead of general because it was way cheaper and it turned out to be basically getting pumped full of SCP Foundation style amnestics so one moment you're in the chair asking "So how long until this kicks in" and the next moment you're at home in bed bleeding onto a cheap pillowcase.

This poo poo is why I opted for local. I'd rather be awake while the dentist is working my mouth over like a SBC 350 than wake up wondering why I'm swimming in my own drool.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 14, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I got lucky with my wisdom teeth. Two were floating but the other two were horizontal and impacting, however the gently caress that works. Got lucky in that I found a surgeon that was really good at what he was doing and didn't charge me an assload.

Anyhow, they put me under and I remember waking up an hour later to some tugging and then having the shakes really bad when I was coming off the anesthesia. Didn't even bother with the hydrocodone that they gave me, couple of Tylenol worked wonders and I was back to normal within a couple of days.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Milo and POTUS posted:

We all have similar reactions. All of us have woken up during general anesthesia. We all have bizarre reactions to pain killers. Hell, myself and my mother are allergic to Aspirin, Motrin, and Ibuprofen.

A local that should work for 30 min lasts 10 on us. It was a great experience as a child when I discovered that this was a thing. I know what it feels like to have a toenail removed without any pain killers.

It might be a combination of factors, but we are saying they are related, my father has none of the issues. My brother and mother have the same thing as myself.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My brother got two wisdom teeth taken out by military dentists.

They broke his jaw.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
He shouldn’t have hit on their partners, then

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ElMaligno posted:

I was born without wisdom teeth, I know because i have been xrayed multiple times with dentists trying to look for them. I am the next step in human evolution.

too bad i had that vasectomy

It’s rare, but it’s not unicorn rare.

It varies heavily with ancestry. One tenth of Japanese people develop no third molars.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Pikehead posted:

I'd heard the horror stories about having teeth out under a local and opted for option 2. Got there, did all the pre op stuff, don't remember a thing past counting down. Woke up in the hospital bed that afternoon and went home about an hour later. Next day my jaw hurt a bit, and that was it for a couple of days.
This was my experience. Quick, easy, unmemorable.

The local for the routine cavity filling, though, they always end up having to give me a second jab of something stronger. Like others have said, there's no way it's not documented that this is necessary every single time, so I'm awfully curious what it is that makes them waste 15 minutes only to realize that the first didn't take fully. Luckily for me, it always has lasted long enough for the procedure.

But holy poo poo folks, if you had a bad experience with a dentist, find a better dentist or you're going to have a rough loving time when things start compounding.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Whenever I've had an extraction the dentist's remark on the size of my teeth being at the large end of the scale.

They always have me percs, and if you want people to not do anything and to not play with their mouth, you should give them percs.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

ElMaligno posted:

I was born without wisdom teeth, I know because i have been xrayed multiple times with dentists trying to look for them. I am the next step in human evolution.

too bad i had that vasectomy

Sup genetic superiority buddy.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Cugel the Clever posted:

This was my experience. Quick, easy, unmemorable.

The local for the routine cavity filling, though, they always end up having to give me a second jab of something stronger. Like others have said, there's no way it's not documented that this is necessary every single time, so I'm awfully curious what it is that makes them waste 15 minutes only to realize that the first didn't take fully. Luckily for me, it always has lasted long enough for the procedure.

But holy poo poo folks, if you had a bad experience with a dentist, find a better dentist or you're going to have a rough loving time when things start compounding.

We sound similar. When I tell them to check my record and verify they always right it off. I have had ONE doc get it right. They loaded me up with so much stuff I was confused when they said we were done. It was the first time I had a procedure without pain. The dentist that said he was good at blocks and numbing was the most painful procedure ever.

I also don't understand why the docs are surprised when I say it hurts. I already told you the issue and now you are surprised I was right? Who would think that I would be able to draw a conclusion based on my life?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

They can charge more for the longer it takes to complete a procedure. So if the first jab doesn't do it, they waste an additional 10-15 minutes which are billable hours.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

90s Solo Cup posted:

[Re: IV sedation]
This poo poo is why I opted for local. I'd rather be awake while the dentist is working my mouth over like a SBC 350 than wake up wondering why I'm swimming in my own drool.

I have to disagree here, IV sedation is way better than choking on tooth dust and mucous for however long the procedure takes. It's relatively cheap ($50-100 over local if you're paying cash like I was). Closest thing to time travel that exists imho. I've had it three times so far and "count backwards from 10" usually means I make it to 7 or 6 and poof, next thing I wake up in recovery.

Last time I had it was a gum graft, I had a nasty receding gumline due to an infection from a popcorn kernel shell. They cut a nice slice of tissue from the roof of your mouth and stitch it on to the target teeth/jaw. It was a godawful bloody mess for a couple of weeks, they told me to pack it with teabags and gauze but I still ended up randomly spitting out mouthfuls of blood like a movie boxer until around the 10 day mark. Dental surgery is neat and terrifying

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

As someone with severe dental anxiety and who needs Valium and nitrous oxide to get a cleaning (thanks to some childhood trauma), these past few pages have been a joy to read.

Still have never had a cavity, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

egyptian rat race posted:

I had a nasty receding gumline due to an infection from a popcorn kernel shell.

I didn’t need to know that that was a thing that could happen.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CommunityEdition posted:

He shouldn’t have hit on their partners, then

:golfclap:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
June 2020 Damage Report: mostly wisdom about teeth.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CommunityEdition posted:

He shouldn’t have hit onbeen their partners, then

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Wasabi the J posted:

June 2020 Damage Report: mostly wisdom about teeth.

It's been so bad we'd rather have teeth pulled.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I still have all my teeth. I've never had a single serious dental issue, including a cavity. My wisdom teeth came in perfect, and a Dentist at Bragg tried to pull them all. When I came in for that appointment, the Dentist looked at my record, then my Xrays, then back at my file

"Who the hell- oh, Captain Dick. He's just an angry gently caress. Here is a day of quarters for your trouble."

I kept all my teeth and got a 3 day.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Maybe I'm just scared of getting put out. Not ashamed to admit it.

Still have an impacted wisdom tooth, although that's causing zero pain unlike the fucker that gradually broke apart over the past year, so it's getting left alone. For now.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I had two wisdom teeth taken in boot camp, it wasn't particularly painful but it took forever. Later had the others taken on the Nimitz, opted to get knocked out because it's basically surgery on the ship and I worked nights so I knew I'd be tired as poo poo. Woke up feeling amazing, but that could've been the oxygen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bulletsponge13 posted:

I still have all my teeth. I've never had a single serious dental issue, including a cavity. My wisdom teeth came in perfect, and a Dentist at Bragg tried to pull them all. When I came in for that appointment, the Dentist looked at my record, then my Xrays, then back at my file

"Who the hell- oh, Captain Dick. He's just an angry gently caress. Here is a day of quarters for your trouble."

I kept all my teeth and got a 3 day.

What did you play at the arcade

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LongDarkNight posted:

Sup genetic superiority buddy.

just get a mouth that can fit 32 teeth, like me :colbert:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What did you play at the arcade

It took me way too long to get this joke.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
lol Bari Weiss resigned from the New York Times

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

"Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery."

https://twitter.com/brendohare/status/1283077044436434946

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Slim Pickens posted:

"Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery."

Hello hi yes thank you for ending the incessant tooth chat with actual news

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Slim Pickens posted:

If Bari Weiss is who I think it is, loving great

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

egyptian rat race posted:

I have to disagree here, IV sedation is way better than choking on tooth dust and mucous for however long the procedure takes. It's relatively cheap ($50-100 over local if you're paying cash like I was). Closest thing to time travel that exists imho. I've had it three times so far and "count backwards from 10" usually means I make it to 7 or 6 and poof, next thing I wake up in recovery.

Last time I had it was a gum graft, I had a nasty receding gumline due to an infection from a popcorn kernel shell. They cut a nice slice of tissue from the roof of your mouth and stitch it on to the target teeth/jaw. It was a godawful bloody mess for a couple of weeks, they told me to pack it with teabags and gauze but I still ended up randomly spitting out mouthfuls of blood like a movie boxer until around the 10 day mark. Dental surgery is neat and terrifying

My second time under it was a lot better; woke up right as they were wheeling my rear end into the recovery room and I was alert and going about my day by the afternoon. The first time I don't really remember much of the day following that. I guess it takes a couple goes in order for them to figure out just how much live amnesia you need.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

If Bari Weiss is who I think it is, loving great

Could I request more context about this columnist? I know why Bret Stephens is disliked but I don't know much about Weiss.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Could I request more context about this columnist? I know why Bret Stephens is disliked but I don't know much about Weiss.

https://twitter.com/_grendan/status/1283070877379244032?s=20

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Weiss is in the exact same lane as Bret Stephens, with the exact same fixation on cancel culture while simultaneously trying to get anyone who criticized her fired. She came into the national scene when as a student, she tried to get a bunch of her professors fired for their opinions on Israel. She does not see the contradiction in any of that.

She also dated Kate McKinnon for a bit. Presumably Kate McKinnon is either pretty conservative and has low standards a/o Bari has absolutely legendary game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Hyrax Attack! posted:

She's the one who's constantly accusing (proudly Jewish leftist cartoonist) Eli Valley of anti-semitism for criticizing the IDF