Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I actually loved how out there it was to reveal that robots and mundane animals can have a Persona, in a "not everything need to be explained" way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sae: okay, fine. So you just read a book or something that night, right?

Joker: No, I wanted to, but my cat told me to go to bed.

Sae: But I want to know what happened to Buchiko!
Ah yes, pulling the old Scheherazade.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

I wouldn't object to P6 having an animal party member again, though.
Spidersona. :twisted:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NikkolasKing posted:

I wouldn't object to P6 having an animal party member again, though.

A cat and a dog, with Caped Avenger and World War I Flying Ace as personas.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
persona/ peanuts cross over is S tier

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Even though the fox in Persona 4 never joins you as a party member, it still had to have a Persona in order to go into the TV world, right?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Even though the fox in Persona 4 never joins you as a party member, it still had to have a Persona in order to go into the TV world, right?

I wouldn't think so? Cause the main cast are put into the TV before they awaken their personas right?

I guess maybe that means that the fox has the potential to awaken a persona?

Honestly I've never been clear on how all the TV stuff works. Like why is it only MC, Namatame, and Adachi that can pull other people into the TV?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I wouldn't think so? Cause the main cast are put into the TV before they awaken their personas right?

I guess maybe that means that the fox has the potential to awaken a persona?

Honestly I've never been clear on how all the TV stuff works. Like why is it only MC, Namatame, and Adachi that can pull other people into the TV?
They got the magic power from the gas station attendant, I think she shook hands with all three of them.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

No Wave posted:

They got the magic power from the gas station attendant, I think she shook hands with all three of them.

I guess that's true, and the gas station attendant is a god or something like that. But Naoto, after her awakening, mentions being able to go into the TV now right? So is it just anyone with a persona can go in? Could they pull someone in who's not awakened, or is that just the aforementioned people that have those abilities?

It doesn't really matter to the plot I don't think, but I've always wondered what exactly the rules are around that.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I guess that's true, and the gas station attendant is a god or something like that. But Naoto, after her awakening, mentions being able to go into the TV now right? So is it just anyone with a persona can go in? Could they pull someone in who's not awakened, or is that just the aforementioned people that have those abilities?

It doesn't really matter to the plot I don't think, but I've always wondered what exactly the rules are around that.

yes, they can access the tv by themselves once they have a persona, Izanami wanted to something something reach out to the truth so she flicked three ears in the boonies to see what would happen, all of which was later reactive to the murders she caused by giving them to Adachi, and I'd guess that access is conditional on wanting to do that

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Yeah I don't think we have an answer. I'd just assumed that dragging others in was something only those three could do and persona users could only enter/exit on their own.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Going back to my original thought, that fox definitely has a Persona, otherwise how could it go into the TV world on its own?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Going back to my original thought, that fox definitely has a Persona, otherwise how could it go into the TV world on its own?
It might not. The first time everyone else sees it, it just shows up unprompted at Junes and follows everyone in. You can always see it when you gather everyone before going into the TV World for the day.

Now, it absolutely had the potential, but it might not've actually had one yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not going into the TV World on its own, it is explicitly meeting up with you beforehand. It's hitching a ride with everyone else.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
The main prerequisite of a persona is a self-aware consciousness (a.k.a. baseline sentience) that can tap into the collective unconsciousness.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Foxes are supposed to be messengers of Inari, so given what made the tv world, I'm not overly surprised a fox can just go there as it pleases

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/s666_1003/status/1282474427901329408

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I would be down for a Reverend Hee-Ho in a future title.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
TMS #FE, still good on the Switch. Better, I'd say, since the battle loading is instant.

Anyone happen to have on hand a list of all the battle barks' translations? I know they're all boring stuff like "Let's go, Itsuki!" "Yes!" but I need to know.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
TIL Dia is aid backwards :psyduck:.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's a nice double meaning but it's more likely to be based off the word in Greek (which means heavenly/divine).

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

jimmydalad posted:

TIL Dia is aid backwards :psyduck:.

gonna blow your minds when you see what a diarama is

also today i learned how to spell diorama, an actual word which I have used/typed out approximately 1/1000th as much as diarama the healing spell

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Zvahl posted:

gonna blow your minds when you see what a diarama is

Am a raid?

A mar aid?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A Mara ID

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Artelier posted:

Am a raid?

A mar aid?

A Mara ID, my god..

How deep does this go

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Elvis_Maximus posted:

A Mara ID, my god..

How deep does this go

:allears:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elvis_Maximus posted:

A Mara ID, my god..

How deep does this go

I had Mara in my lineup in my original P5 run for way too long because it had good stats :negative:

I wanna recommend P5 to my niece because I think she'd like the aesthetic, but then you remember some of the wild poo poo from SMT like that guy.

Is... is recommending Persona to normal people like the videogames equivalent of telling somebody to watch Madoka?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I had Mara in my lineup in my original P5 run for way too long because it had good stats :negative:

I wanna recommend P5 to my niece because I think she'd like the aesthetic, but then you remember some of the wild poo poo from SMT like that guy.

Is... is recommending Persona to normal people like the videogames equivalent of telling somebody to watch Madoka?

I think Persona is fine for recommendations. It’s mainstream enough having representation in Smash bros and it’s not too far removed from typical JRPG nonsense.

If you wanted to go Madoka, you could recommend Nocture or Digital Devil Saga. Honestly, most SMT PS2 games that weren’t Persona we’re pretty disturbing.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Tbh I'd sooner not rec persona because of the homophobia than the dick demon

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
That business aside, Joker canonically just spacing out IRL when he goes to the Velvet room is *almost* as good as Joker canonically telling Sae about how brave he was for eating all those giant hamburgers, because you get exactly moments like

Joker goes slack-jawed for 5 minutes in the Mementos lobby, then blinks back awake.
Ryuji: Hey, alright. He always has a cool new move after he does that. C'mon, man, whatcha got for us.
Joker: Check this out :smuggo:
Almost Everybody: *horrified*
Yusuke: *furiously sketching*

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I feel like recommending P5 is less like recommending Madoka to someone who doesn't know anime, and more like recommending Evangelion. There's not really bait-and-switches in terms of content, and they'll get most of it, but there's genre and social subtext that they won't be privvy to and it probably veers more mature in subject matter than they expect.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

I feel like recommending P5 is less like recommending Madoka to someone who doesn't know anime, and more like recommending Evangelion. There's not really bait-and-switches in terms of content, and they'll get most of it, but there's genre and social subtext that they won't be privvy to and it probably veers more mature in subject matter than they expect.

There is no social subtext anyone will miss from any persona game. They do don't know how to even spell the word Subtle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Persona is baby's first SMT game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Ryuji, in every cutscene with the team together: "Those drat CORRUPT ADULTS IN POWER! They don't care about THE WEAK AND THE POOR LIKE US. We have to CHANGE THEIR HEART before the RUIN SOCIETY COMPLETELY and make like EVEN HARDER FOR THE DOWNTRODDEN."

Evil Adult Seen In Palace Whipping 1000 Imaginary Versions of Random Weak and Poor People: Yes i love TO ABUSE HUMANS SO MUCH and take their EFFORT AND HARD WORK FOR MY OWN PERSONAL GAIN. When I am done with them I DON'T CARE IF THEY LIVE OR DIE. They are OBJECTS TO ME."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Clarste posted:

Persona is baby's first SMT game.

Ehhhh, the appeal is pretty different.

SMT is a dungeon crawler where you have a handful of characters you barely talk to. I was thinking about it just the other day when a similar discussion was brought up elsewhere, somebody saying they'd recommend Nocturne to a Persona fan

You interact with Chiaki or Isamu something like 4-5 times all game and these interactions are also really spread out. Needless to say this is totally different from any Persona game. Even Strange Journey which does its best to give characterization and focus to Zelenin or Jimenez and build the bond with the Red Sprite crew is still pretty limited compared to Persona.

I personally recommend SMTIV Apocalypse or Devil Survivor 1 or 2 for people who start with Persona and want try out SMT as they blend SMT ideas and themes with Persona's focus on relationships.

Of course, somebody could still like both SMT and Persona, just for different reasons.But there's no guarantee if you find one appealing you'll like the other since the appeal i s wildly different.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 14, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
persona protags have too many friends

smt protags have all fake friends

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And then the original SMT is "All my friends are dead".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There is no social subtext anyone will miss from any persona game. They do don't know how to even spell the word Subtle.

You say that, but it wasn't long ago that we had to explain the basics of how lovely the Japanese court system is in this very thread. It's not that the game has anything that's tied up too hard in Japanese setting details or RPG tropes, though, it's more that without knowing those things there might be a lot of 'wait, back up, what' moments.

Off the top of my head I'd imagine those moments around the court and legal system, about a dozen demons, some of Futaba's deal (although I think these days that's not so foreign a concept to people), some of Igor's character history, and maybe a little bit about Japanese high school. None of it's necessarily a must-know or something you won't pick up, but that's some of the places where it presumes knowledge that someone may not have.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

MonsieurChoc posted:

they're just off screen, laughing, lost beyond finding in the great cathedral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Where are your friends, man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwSZDXr5LU