Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vic might be my least favorite part of DS9 and this is coming from someone who had a band playing almost exclusively Sinatra, Darin, Bennett, Martin, etc. at his wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tangentially related to Star Trek.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/grant-imahara-dead-mythbusters-host-was-49-1303101

Grant Imahara died.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

McSpanky posted:

It's worse than that, they came up with this deadly serious Trill reassociation taboo and then threw it in the garbage with Ezri, she just dives right back into the beating heart of her last life and picks up where she left off like it ain't no thang. According to "Rejoined" both of them should be exiles from Trill society with no hope for the Dax symbiont to ever be passed on. Dead slug squirmin', we got a dead slug squirmin' here.
It would make sense if the Trill unclenched some here, both due to the blackmail material Dax and co have and because of the Dominion thing. They don't seem like Warhammer Dwarfs here, they can probably flex a little.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also Ezri was a messed up situation due to an untrained host.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always found the idea that revealing the truth about Joran would threaten the Symbionte Commission kinda goofy.

"We need to conduct extensive tests to ensure a host is comparable with a symbionte."
"Ahah, but we have proof that an untested host was able to bond with a symbionte, proving your rules are all lies!"
"...he went crazy and killed three people after being bonded. If anything, he's proof that what we do is necessary."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

aw that sucks, he seemed like a decent dude.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a difference between the commission and also what she probably should've personally believed and what people around her should've understood. It's kind of baffling to watch make that "mistake" with Worf and then In the literal finale watch her walk into what would appear to be a very similar mistake for the same reasons. also she's a loving therapist so you think she would've heard of a rebound

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like maybe if she were a professional gamer you would be like, yeah, I bet she's gonna keep making the same bad decisions literally for the entire rest of her life

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Sash! posted:

Vic might be my least favorite part of DS9 and this is coming from someone who had a band playing almost exclusively Sinatra, Darin, Bennett, Martin, etc. at his wedding.
What the gently caress, pally?

We all know Kai Winn is the worst part of DS9.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She rocks . she is good , and great

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Abner Assington posted:

What the gently caress, pally?

We all know Kai Winn is the worst part of DS9.

Shut your loving mouth

Kai Winn is a fantastic villain

The worst part of DS9 is Bashir sleeping with several of his patients, followed by a tie in second place of all of Kira's romances (yes, even Odo)

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Kai Winn loving the best villain doesn't make her a good villain.

And yeah, the Odo/Kira thing is pulled off in an amazingly awkward and unsatisfactory way. Vedek Bareil was more monotone than Ben Stein, and Shakaar was just... there? I don't know. At least he was Dracula in The Monster Squad--that's kind of cool.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Admiralty Flag posted:

The worst part of DS9 is Bashir sleeping with several of his patients, followed by a tie in second place of all of Kira's romances (yes, even Odo)

weird way to spell ziyal

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Talk about a character that has tons of potential to go a lot of really interesting directions, who is even a pretty compelling character all the way through "Return to Grace", who somehow the writers still have absolutely no idea what to do with so instead they panickingly apply 50 obnoxiously over-trod tropes until killing her off our of sheer apathy. great work everyone.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm watching the fan film made by that one guy that's like 3 hours long and he does all the voices, you may have seen clips of.

It is incredibly boring. Basically everything I would ever want in a star trek

Bad news for you: it's actually like 9 hours long iirc. It's a three-parter. I've never made it past the first half-hour or so I tuned out when the captain was chilling in his quarters while blaring the theme song for King of the Hill over the speakers

It's definitely some kinda achievement given just how much setup would have had to go into it to produce that much material by a lone guy, but the entire thing is extremely weird and a lil bit creepy. And if you look at the other videos that guy has put up on Youtube, he seems to have a weird obsession with creating his own game show sets and opening themes or something.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Abner Assington posted:

Kai Winn loving the best villain doesn't make her a good villain.
Just because she doesn't chew the scenery in every episode she's in doesn't make her a worse villain than Dukat, just not as fun to watch. She is supposed to be painful to watch because she isn't Space Hitler, she's the same stack of venal character flaws and insecurities we all have writ large.

Pick posted:

weird way to spell ziyal
I'll admit Bashir loving his patients is a bete noire for me, but yeah Ziyal goes pretty high on the list too

e: so how do the writers do such a great job with Kira outside her romances but fumble the job with so many other female characters (the criminal underuse of Jadzia, your point about Ziyal, Kai Opaka, etc.)?

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 14, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually think you could've done a really interesting plot point about Bashir literally not understanding boundaries like that*; it makes it much weirder and much grosser that writers literally just don't seem to see it as a problem. Like it just does not seem to even occur to them that this would be a violation of professional ethics. I think it gets like one line in Chrysalis but I'd rather stab myself in the tits than watch that episode again.

*early Bashir anyway. But it could have been a really interesting counterpoint to/"dark expression" of the idealism etc., and a great metaphor for when the Federation barrels into something that's complex and becomes highly problematic based on the inherent power differential. like how weird is it that picard is trying to get it on with anij in Insurrection when he sort of holds the fate of her entire community in his hands.

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 14, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I wonder how much of it is just creative laziness/bankruptcy. Like it's easy enough to imagine that their thought process was "we want to do a Bashir romance -> Bashir is the doctor character -> the story needs to relate to him being a doctor somehow -> she's a patient! :buddy:" when instead they could have taken the opportunity to explore/create other dimensions of his character.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

I actually think you could've done a really interesting plot point about Bashir literally not understanding boundaries like that; it makes it much weirder and much grosser that writers literally just don't seem to see it as a problem. Like it just does not seem to even occur to them that this would be a violation of professional ethics.

Yeah, I think it has to do with writer laziness and tired television tropes. People meet romantic interests at work all the time, right? Why wouldn't doctors or lawyers, e.g., do so with patients and clients?

Or, "Hey, we've got this script about this low-gravity Starfleet officer and Bashir helps her adjust, but it's 10 minutes light and I can't figure out how to beef up the Quark smuggling B plot to fill the time." -- "Just have Bashir fall in love with her as he gets to know her."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I wonder how much of it is just creative laziness/bankruptcy. Like it's easy enough to imagine that their thought process was "we want to do a Bashir romance -> Bashir is the doctor character -> the story needs to relate to him being a doctor somehow -> she's a patient! :buddy:" when instead they could have taken the opportunity to explore/create other dimensions of his character.

at least we got The Wire

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Bruce Botnick let slip he's working on a new Atmos mix for Star Trek: TMP. That lines up with rumors that the Director's Cut is being worked on for a UHD release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnpacAuKnwc&t=151s

He talks about how much he loves working with Atmos and he unwrapped the 16 track audio masters for TMP recently.
Hopefully the new mix won't have the TOS bridge noises randomly faded in, and gets rid of the Klingon viewscreen "deedle-deedle-deedle" sound that unreasonably angers me for distracting from Goldsmith's rising tension strings when the Klingons are staring at the empty tactical display waiting for the next attack to come.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Star Trek has always been extremely consistent that the future still includes widely accepted sexual harassment of women.

This isn't terribly surprising, considering it was made by the people doing sexual harassment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's progressive actually because in the future women are all 100% completely sexually at liberty to gently caress me specifically

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McSpanky posted:

It's worse than that, they came up with this deadly serious Trill reassociation taboo and then threw it in the garbage with Ezri, she just dives right back into the beating heart of her last life and picks up where she left off like it ain't no thang. According to "Rejoined" both of them should be exiles from Trill society with no hope for the Dax symbiont to ever be passed on. Dead slug squirmin', we got a dead slug squirmin' here.

The taboo is for joined trill to get back together, not trill to get with anyone else.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

Star Trek has always been extremely consistent that the future still includes widely accepted sexual harassment of women.

This isn't terribly surprising, considering it was made by the people doing sexual harassment.

The worst part for me about Ezri and Bashir getting together is that they have such a good moment at first where he's back to being the playboy and she says to him "please stop, Jadzia knew how to handle you but your weird sexual advances make me very uncomfortable." Good! You tell him! Don't just laugh it off like Jadzia did!

Oh except you're actually into him. :sigh:

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Also I'm going through a watch of TNG finally and I think my favourite part about every episode is Riker's constant :haw: face in the background of every single scene.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

IShallRiseAgain posted:

aw that sucks, he seemed like a decent dude.

He gave us Geoff Peterson. He's beyond decent.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

8one6 posted:

Are the Culture books any good? All of the descriptions of the series read like "What if starships could cast wish"

They are written by a guy whose day job was Real Literature so while they are solid science fiction they tend to make for challenging reading. Weird narrative structures, ambiguous protagonists, and abrupt shifts in setting are de rigueur.

Player of Games and Excession are good entry into the collection. It's not a series in any sense except that each book is set chronologically after the first. I think Look to Windward is 1300 years or so after Consider Phlebas.

Excession, Matter, and Surface Detail are probably my favorites.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 14, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Culture knowledge quiz:

Dziet Sma is

A) a Contact operative
B) a furry
C) a combat cyborg
D) a bored dilettante playing at imperialism
E) all of the above

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Ran across this in the Toxin Crew thread in 'yob and almost immediately thought of Odo:

https://youtu.be/t-LTWFnGmeg

FE: Well, of Changelings in general I guess. Odo would never be that good at this.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Preemptive Strike" is such a weird choice for the penultimate episode of TNG. I assume it wasn't really a "choice" per se, but just a script they had lying around and ended up only being able to produce at that moment. The only way it ends up making sense in that slot is to ease you into DS9 by starting to portray non-Federation perspectives as being valid (in more than just a "let's try to accommodate the foreigners" way).

I'm not dumping on it, it's a fine episode, but to a modern viewer it feels weird that that's the one right before the finale. It would've made sense to switch places with "Emergence" since that one features basically the whole crew, and also doesn't practically make them villains.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Preemptive Strike, along with Journey’s End, were the episodes meant to catch us up to speed on the Maquis, who were definitely going to be a massive plot point in the cool new upcoming series Star Trek: Voyager.

DS9 was already wrapping up its second season when that aired.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually live how "Preemptive Strike" dovetails into "All Good Things..." It does a good job of showing you that Picard still has this potential to become a bitter old man.

Pick posted:

I actually like what I think is the initially-conceived Bashir/Jadzia arc, where at first he's just horny for her but grows to befriend her as a person and understand her as an actual identity, but once she dies and becomes Ezri I really feel like the potential of that arc is gone and it's creepy to try to recapture it with Ezri. Really creepy. Because it's like a complete 180 from what the point would have been if he ended up with Jadzia at that point!
I agree with you but they were already messing when they were ramping up to Dax's death with Jadzia even telling Bashir she would have eventually settled down with him if Worf hadn't come around.

It's also annoying because Jadzia has these pretty strong platonic relationships with Sisko and even Kira. But their trauma over her death gets short shifted for the dudes who want to bang her. Dorn at least plays it with nuance although I didn't care for her hooking up with him. There seemed something paternal about how he viewed her at first.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 14, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Picard should have wiped out the Maquis when he had the chance

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Arglebargle III posted:

Culture knowledge quiz:

Dziet Sma

Gesundheit

I think I'm in a minority but Look to Windward is my favorite. Surface Detail is close but is, to quote everyone who talks about it, uncomfortably hosed up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Look to Windward might be the best-written culture book but it's positively glacial in pace. It's a leisurely stroll through a thriller plot.

Which I suppose fits its 800 pound protagonist.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timeless Appeal posted:

I agree with you but they were already messing when they were ramping up to Ezri's death with Jadzia even telling Bashir she would have eventually settled down with him if Worf hadn't come around.
Oh, 100% agreed. That's actually among my least favorite moments in deep space nine, when she reassured him that if he just kept bothering her, eventually she would've given in. Darn Bashir! You should've never ramped down your sexual harassment!! Important lessons we are all learning today.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Culture knowledge quiz:

Dziet Sma is

I prefer Sma Zero.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve read Player of Games, which I enjoyed a lot, and I’ve started Use of Weapons about 5 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

HD DAD posted:

DS9 was already wrapping up its second season when that aired.

Oh I know, but I'm sure there were people who didn't bother with it until TNG was done and they needed another fix.