Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pentaghastly posted:

Got written up for not verifying partner temperatures and making sure they went through the COVID questionnaire app and a documented coaching for forgetting fridge temps twice the week I was scheduled 8 days in a row during a holiday weekend with call-outs galore :thumbsup:

Almost got a write-up for the deposits being off AGAIN but she decided against it because it would have been my final and I explained to her how IT ACTUALLY WORKS when the safe is off every night and I have to fix it by taking from the deposit.

Add “doling out write-ups” to the ASM job description.

Wait wait your partner is required to disclose medical information in some app to your employer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

I believe 'partner' is what their store calls its employees.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

spankmeister posted:

Wait wait your partner is required to disclose medical information in some app to your employer?

It’s just a “yes/no” question app, it doesn’t save anything or have you enter in any of your information. I just have to individually walk through it with 4-5 employees before every shift and make sure they’re not showing symptoms. Which...you’d think if they were they’d tell me beforehand and wouldn’t need an app for it but alas

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Writing up people is definitely how you maintain discipline. Not through conversations and treating your employees like people, but by just stressing them and trying to assert dominance that will, at best, irritate and stress your good employees, and cause the bad ones to quit or lie better.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pentaghastly posted:

Got written up for not verifying partner temperatures and making sure they went through the COVID questionnaire app and a documented coaching for forgetting fridge temps twice the week I was scheduled 8 days in a row during a holiday weekend with call-outs galore :thumbsup:

Almost got a write-up for the deposits being off AGAIN but she decided against it because it would have been my final and I explained to her how IT ACTUALLY WORKS when the safe is off every night and I have to fix it by taking from the deposit.

Add “doling out write-ups” to the ASM job description.

You will be fired this quarter. Find something new ASAP. I'm not saying you deserve it, because you probably don't, but this isn't them being stupid or not understanding. These write-uos are the beginning of the paper trail that they will use to deny your unemployment claim because they view you as troublesome.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
A storm hosed up the sign of a local Burger King so instead of reading 'now hiring' it reads 'no hng' and that sums up the retail and service industry pretty well at the moment

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

therobit posted:

You will be fired this quarter. Find something new ASAP. I'm not saying you deserve it, because you probably don't, but this isn't them being stupid or not understanding. These write-uos are the beginning of the paper trail that they will use to deny your unemployment claim because they view you as troublesome.

Unfortunately, yeah, this is probably correct. I doubt they have an active plan to fire her (because they lack the competence to plan much of anything beyond five minutes from now) but they're preparing the paper trail in case they decide to on a whim one of these days, and hoping she'll take the hint and leave voluntarily.

"For reasons they'll never disclose because they're in fact illegal" would be an excellent guess at their motivation to want rid of her.

e: I forget who it was, but about a year ago there was a goon in this thread who posted several times over the course of a few months that his employer (Dollar General or something of that ilk, I think?) wrote him up repeatedly for stupid poo poo, and several of us told him "they are about to fire you" and I think he was kind of in denial about it until one day--who could have guessed?--they fired him.

It's a horrendously lovely thing they're doing and it's incredibly painful to even think about, Penta, but please try to be as clear-eyed as you can about it. We're all here to support you :cheers:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 14, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I would have to know more about this particular CSM before making that call, because a lot of people are just loving stupid and have no idea how to 'lead'.

If you asked every single manager in your structure 'what is a good leader / what is leadership' maybe one in ten would give you an answer that wasn't stupid.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lord Awkward posted:

I believe 'partner' is what their store calls its employees.

Ohhhh. Right.

Partner, associate, nice obfuscation to make the employee feel like they have some agency.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Y’all are probably right. New management, old shift probably still stuck in the old ways and they assume I’m responsible for the lack of standards and things going wrong. Want their own fresh people to reset the store with. I get it.

Don’t worry, still applying for jobs. Always have been.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The write up for COVID related stuff could also just be them trying to cover their rear end in case there's an outbreak traced back to the store. "SEE!? We had these things in place and when they weren't followed to the T we disciplined the offending parter! It's not OUR fault!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Nothing like getting happy birthdays between calling HR and calling the doctor's office when the conversation is related to possibly having the modern plague

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Leal posted:

Nothing like getting happy birthdays between calling HR and calling the doctor's office when the conversation is related to possibly having the modern plague

Crappy birthday to you!
Crappy birthday to you!
Crappy Birthday dear Leal
Crappy birthday to you!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Happy birthday to me
I might have Covid 19
Celebrating the 14th of July
Lifes a bitch and then you die

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

For she's a very sick fellow
For she's a very sick fellow for she's a very sick feeeeeeloooow

Who's probably gonna die!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

My last job they constantly wrote me up for "poor hygiene/body odor" when my job was to be outside dealing with the carriages my entire loving shift. In summer, that parking lot was easily 10゚F warmer than the ambient air temperature so in some days the heat index in the parking lot was 120 F

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I made a relevant comment in a different thread that I indulged in turning into a reminiscence about retail, then realized it was irrelevant to that thread, so I'm narcissistically subjecting you all to it instead.

About a decade ago I worked for a few months in the Shoes department of a JCPenney more or less as a personal favor to the department manager, and because I had a lot of free time at that point in my life and why the hell not. Shoes was one of the last two departments (men's dress clothes being the other) that still had commissioned sales. About half the staff was young people that didn't really care, and about half was old lifers who bitterly fought for every last commission dollar. Those were fun times. My job was purely working the register, because the salespeople were complaining about losing sales ringing up $300 worth of poo poo from all over the store and processing returns and such (a legitimate complaint IMO). So my job was to just stay at the Shoes department register during the busy times and free up the salespeople.

Then one day the ASM ordered me to go out and be a salesman because they were short on salesmen that day. I said "I get commission for that, right?" He said no. I said "I will do it for this one three-hour shift, but never again unless I get commission." Next day, I come in, the department manager tells me the ASM ordered her to have me sell without commission. I laughed and left.

Retail's actually surprisingly enjoyable when you don't need the job and can cheerfully walk away from it at any time. I would probably still work part time at a Best Buy or something just for funsies if I had any free time at all anymore.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: I forget who it was, but about a year ago there was a goon in this thread who posted several times over the course of a few months that his employer (Dollar General or something of that ilk, I think?) wrote him up repeatedly for stupid poo poo, and several of us told him "they are about to fire you" and I think he was kind of in denial about it until one day--who could have guessed?--they fired him.

It's a horrendously lovely thing they're doing and it's incredibly painful to even think about, Penta, but please try to be as clear-eyed as you can about it. We're all here to support you :cheers:
My line manager about 3 years ago I was 2ic to was a pretty good friend of mine and went through this process.

I remember the worst one made me sick to my stomach. Had this lady come in with about $300 worth of baby clothes and nursery products we sold wanting a return. At the time our return policy was 4 weeks from purchase on unwanted items, but it'd been 5 weeks.
This lady was bawling her eyes out while she was in store and revealed to my manager she'd had a miscarriage late and lost the baby. He authorised the return and comforted her best he could.

Next day he was put on a performance improvement plan with one of the conditions being to, "fully understand store policy". I'd never witnessed a response so heartless. Worse than that was they'd put his job up for applications the same day they even gave him his PiP so it was guaranteed he was going to fail it for them.
I got the notification and warned him because I had an alert for management roles at the time but he just kept working his rear end off and believing they would see his work ethic and keep him on.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ErKeL posted:

My line manager about 3 years ago I was 2ic to was a pretty good friend of mine and went through this process.

I remember the worst one made me sick to my stomach. Had this lady come in with about $300 worth of baby clothes and nursery products we sold wanting a return. At the time our return policy was 4 weeks from purchase on unwanted items, but it'd been 5 weeks.
This lady was bawling her eyes out while she was in store and revealed to my manager she'd had a miscarriage late and lost the baby. He authorised the return and comforted her best he could.

Next day he was put on a performance improvement plan with one of the conditions being to, "fully understand store policy". I'd never witnessed a response so heartless. Worse than that was they'd put his job up for applications the same day they even gave him his PiP so it was guaranteed he was going to fail it for them.
I got the notification and warned him because I had an alert for management roles at the time but he just kept working his rear end off and believing they would see his work ethic and keep him on.

They must have wanted rid of him, right? Because NOT making an exception in that instance ought to get someone fired. I hope.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

They must have wanted rid of him, right? Because NOT making an exception in that instance ought to get someone fired. I hope.

Nope. Corporate does not care. The only reason they would fire someone for refusing a return would be if another customer taped what they saw and it went viral.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Yeah he didn't get along with the store manager before that. Was just the one thing that sealed the deal for him. Everything the store manager got angry at him for was stupid as gently caress anyway though. When I took over fill the store manager's opinion of me dropped just as fast.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Nope. Corporate does not care. The only reason they would fire someone for refusing a return would be if another customer taped what they saw and it went viral.

:(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ErKeL posted:

but he just kept working his rear end off and believing they would see his work ethic and keep him on.

God, I remember being young and believing that.

"I'll keep working hard, offering up good ideas, always coming in whenever they call because someone's sick or a no-show. Even spending my own money to make things nicer. They'll see what a reliable, hard worker I am. I'm sure to get a raise soon, maybe even a promotion!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol indeed, I gave extra effort once. I learned.

I got something in the mail from the hospital about my 5 year service award. They don't even handle their own list of things. Instead, it's a third party company, Incentive Services and oh my god it's so loving corporate looking. "We motivate behavior change, reinforce
performance achievement, and encourage organizational engagement and loyalty" is on their ad copy and lmao.

At least the list of award things (of like, 300 items) had some actually appealing things. I could have gotten an air fryer, I got a fan instead. They also had such exciting things as. A flag painted on wood, various art, golf clubs, 5.5oz of hand cream, a pewter cup, or some OXO Good Grips containers, those of which also tempted me a little bit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got a thing for my 3 year anniversary. There was this watch that looked pretty cool, and yes I am one of those people who wears a watch. So I went ahead and got it.

So the problem: The watch has the loving company logo welded below the clock. I aint wearing this poo poo!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yesterday someone returned a jar of mayonnaise that expired 4 years ago. They claimed that they bought it recently. There’s no way this happened because our Mayo section was wiped out several times in March and April amidst the COVID panic.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I got a cake plus afternoon tea and a $200 gift card for my 15th anniversary last year; it was pretty nice. And a badge.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

therobit posted:

I mean. I've also seen this situation from a different side. Yes, an exception can be made in certain situations, but always cover your rear end by making someone above you or equal with you authorize or agree with the exception.

Also, it's retail. We know people are Liars.

When I worked at BBB, I happened to look out the front window one day to see a man and a woman loading a bunch of what were obviously bridal shower gifts from the trunk of a car into a shopping cart. She then kissed him on the mouth, pulled her ring off and put it into her pocket, and pushed the cart into the store.

She came to my register, face red, eyes streaming, about how her fiancee had died and the wedding was canceled and she needed cash back on all the registry gifts to pay for a funeral.

Liar.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Was she ultimately allowed to make the return?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

I mean. I've also seen this situation from a different side. Yes, an exception can be made in certain situations, but always cover your rear end by making someone above you or equal with you authorize or agree with the exception.

Also, it's retail. We know people are Liars.

When I worked at BBB, I happened to look out the front window one day to see a man and a woman loading a bunch of what were obviously bridal shower gifts from the trunk of a car into a shopping cart. She then kissed him on the mouth, pulled her ring off and put it into her pocket, and pushed the cart into the store.

She came to my register, face red, eyes streaming, about how her fiancee had died and the wedding was canceled and she needed cash back on all the registry gifts to pay for a funeral.

Liar.

This. 100x this. You always operate on an assumption of guilt where customers are concerned.

In this case too - $300 dollars is a huge refund. Even if it was 100% above board and I couldn't find a single reason to refuse the refund I'd grab the store manager and give them a head's up before I approved it.

I don't think it justifies a write up or dismissal or anything like that but that manager absolutely did the wrong thing and If I were his store manager I'd definitely have told him off for it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 15, 2020

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Kick it up the chain is 100% valid and if anything doesn't seem/feel right do it.

I work in check processing, and I'd rather toss anything odd aside and ask my team leader about it then just process it and end up with errors. One thing I was told during training was if a manager wants it processed X way, they can do so or at least get them to sign off on it so if/when it bounces back you have your rear end covered. Cause if you don't the first question will be 'well why didn't you ask?'.

I mean the ASM's/SM make the Big Bucks (everyone laugh now!) they get to make the Hard Choices.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Store manager salaries in my company start at around 120k.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm going to assume someone that has a very sad story is telling the truth unless they're lovely liars on the basis of my caring more about empathy than whether a multi-million dollar store makes a few less dollars.

With regard to effort, I heard something on Hell of a Way To Die podcast that clicked for me. One of the hosts, a former army officer, was getting out. He said when he put in his papers, it made him an even better soldier. That he wired his poo poo tight. That it was kind of like, "I don't even want this job and I'm better at it than any of you miserable fucks, eat poo poo and die".

Spite is a powerful motivator.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Was she ultimately allowed to make the return?

Sure. But she didn't need to lie. Company policy at the time was cash back on all registry returns. Of course, we were encouraged to neglect to mention that and issue a store credit, but even so. If the cash amount came to too much, (in this case, over a grand in gifts), we had to issue a Corporate Check... so about a 2 week turn around for it to be issued and mailed out, and then she was able deposit it directly into her bank account anyway.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

If anything feels weird, out of your power or will just make your rear end in a top hat boss miserable dealing with it instead of you: kick it up the chain. Same with customers giving you poo poo that you don't want to deal with.

"Do you have any in the back?"
"There's my manager over there, why don't you ask them?"

Covers your rear end and you can go back to doing something actually halfway important.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

This. 100x this. You always operate on an assumption of guilt where customers are concerned.

In this case too - $300 dollars is a huge refund. Even if it was 100% above board and I couldn't find a single reason to refuse the refund I'd grab the store manager and give them a head's up before I approved it.

I don't think it justifies a write up or dismissal or anything like that but that manager absolutely did the wrong thing and If I were his store manager I'd definitely have told him off for it.
At the time this happened my line manager was in charge of the store as the duty manager. I wouldn't call the SM for something like this. A month later company policy changed to allow 90 days on change of mind returns anyway so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Everything was still packaged and able to be resold and she had proof of purchase. It didn't seem that big of a deal, and like a previous poster said if some random customer filmed him denying that refund while she was in tears he would've gotten destroyed anyway.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ErKeL posted:

At the time this happened my line manager was in charge of the store as the duty manager. I wouldn't call the SM for something like this. A month later company policy changed to allow 90 days on change of mind returns anyway so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Everything was still packaged and able to be resold and she had proof of purchase. It didn't seem that big of a deal, and like a previous poster said if some random customer filmed him denying that refund while she was in tears he would've gotten destroyed anyway.

His being in charge of the store at the time is a new piece of information which shifts my assessment somewhat - I feel like a duty manager should have some degree of discretion. I still would have refused the refund if it were me though.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

last hour of my shift and we finally get a hold of our closer whose been MIA for the first two and a half hours of her shift. she looked at the wrong schedule (even though both this weeks schedule and next weeks schedule have her working the same shift on the same day) and she’ll be in at 5:30p. so i get to work overtime because some god drat mid-40s dumb poo poo has a weaker grasp on personal responsibility than the high school kids who bag groceries.

this lady is the loving worst. and we can’t get rid of her! no managers have ever even tried to discipline he because she’ll immediately go out on stress leave and no other store wants her. her reputation as being an unreliable lazy drama queen is known to our whole god drat district

even the stores she hasn’t worked!

aaaaaaaagh

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

last hour of my shift and we finally get a hold of our closer whose been MIA for the first two and a half hours of her shift. she looked at the wrong schedule (even though both this weeks schedule and next weeks schedule have her working the same shift on the same day) and she’ll be in at 5:30p. so i get to work overtime because some god drat mid-40s dumb poo poo has a weaker grasp on personal responsibility than the high school kids who bag groceries.

this lady is the loving worst. and we can’t get rid of her! no managers have ever even tried to discipline he because she’ll immediately go out on stress leave and no other store wants her. her reputation as being an unreliable lazy drama queen is known to our whole god drat district

even the stores she hasn’t worked!

aaaaaaaagh

Older employees (excluding management, usually) generally tend to be the worst. The petty dramas; the entitlement (I don’t do task x; I only do task Y; I take an extra 10 minutes on my break or leave 10 mins early when I feel like it). The incessant whining.

Meanwhile the high school kids tend to be the best workers. They’re eager to be there; they’re polite and hard working; thrilled that they’re being treated like adults. We have a 15 year old that works harder than anyone. Never says no to a shift. Schools just had their 3 week vacation and he worked full time hours the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

apparently they had people come in and replace the door latch on our trash compactor. was there a pressing need for this? no. does it gently caress me over for tomorrow since they couldn't finish clearing out the trash? of course!