Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

The government is giving them free money so yeah

Plus they're collecting a lot of the free money the government is giving to other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
pandemics, people dying, and an uncaring central government are good for money. gee, i wonder where this is going to lead.

Kale
May 14, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

So who were those folks who were :derp:ing about what kind of killshot damage Kanye was gonna do to Joe Biden again?

I like how just by being a celebrity he already has an equal or better shot than the Libertarian or Green Party candidate though. This also just kind of tells me that the kind of person that would vote for any celebrity sees little difference between Trump or Kanye but that the Democratic vote is holding pretty fast. My uncle who has dual U.S citizenship and works in communications and has been following things pretty closely with his contacts in the U.S seems pretty convinced that the Democratic Party will get out the vote big time this November and this is sort of another sign that may just be the case. Again if Trump runs the worst most divisive campaign ever after all the poo poo and still manages to get a second term against every head wind including being well behind in every swing state than incumbency is just the be all end all and America just doesn't care at large about preserving it's democracy and having competent government.

I see no reason for the polls to tighten as the election closes in as well because Trump is just giving no reason for it so if I start hearing the usual news stories about polls tightening to within the margin of error and how it's going to be "the closest election in recent memory" come September I'm just going to call full bullshit on America and it's media honestly. Like they better not just treat it like another business as usual election with the "isn't that quaint?" angle towards Trump's behavior and tactics, Chris Cilliza not withstanding.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Presumably somewhere that lets her maintain her faux-intellectual veneer a bit better than Fox. For the time being, of course. All roads lead to Fox News (well, until OANN takes its mantle).

National Review then.

Kale
May 14, 2010

refleks posted:

How the gently caress is Disney World open. Is Florida just such a complete poo poo-show that Florida man memes are actually historically accurate and should be saved for posterity?

Ron DeSantis is a really really REALLY bad governor, that I think just eclipsed even Brian Kemp this week in being the flat out worst in America. Florida chose this too basically. Like there was a clear better candidate in Andrew Gillum who demonstrated he was a smart, compassionate and pragmatic man in a very well run campaign, and that there's no way this happens if he were governor instead, but nope gotta vote for the shitlord gesticulating Trump loving racist DeSantis.

If America ever gets over it's love affair with lovely Republicans it won't fix all of it's problems, but it'd at least likely keep stuff like what's happening in Florida and in the White House from happening where sheer incompetence and base pleasing, pardon the pun, Trump's literal common loving sense.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like access to jobs are actually impacted because a lot of people have a lack of information about the jobs that are available to them. When you're struggling to find work and don't even know where to start looking, it can really deepen depression and hurt motivation. We actually do need to increase access for knowledge about job tracks because it helps mobility. Even during schooling you'll get dumbass teacher going, "Heh--all these kids want to be basketball players. Don't they know how hard that is to do." And it's like yeah, but there is a very easy and tangible pathway to becoming a basketball player and it's a very easy to understand job. If we want them to have other aspirations or self-confidence to think they can achieve in other fields, we have to teach them about those other fields.

I mean there is a global pandemic right now and the whole "Find something new" bullshit is obviously gross in its actual intent and it's a complete misunderstanding of why people are unemployed atm. So gently caress it all. But on principle trying to help unemployment by widening people's scope of jobs they can do isn't in of itself a bad thing.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I don't give a poo poo if this gets me a sixer I woke up pissed off and then saw this so now I have to try not to punch objects and 2020 can gently caress off to hell.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1282912600662188034?s=19
This role my heart too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

the economy is back

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kale posted:

Ron DeSantis is a really really REALLY bad governor, that I think just eclipsed even Brian Kemp this week in being the flat out worst in America. Florida chose this too basically. Like there was a clear better candidate in Andrew Gillum who demonstrated he was a smart, compassionate and pragmatic man in a very well run campaign, and that there's no way this happens if he were governor instead, but nope gotta vote for the shitlord gesticulating Trump loving racist DeSantis.

If America ever gets over it's love affair with lovely Republicans it won't fix all of it's problems, but it'd at least likely keep stuff like what's happening in Florida and in the White House from happening where sheer incompetence and base pleasing, pardon the pun, Trump's literal common loving sense.
Yes because it’s 2020 DeSantis is the governor and Gillum is in rehab

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How did network TV writers do a better takedown of these assholes than even Chapo did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNvuYPpX0C0

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

President tweets out this news as proof he's doing a good job in 5....4.....3.....

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Let them eat quarterly earnings.

But clearly we just need to pick ourselves up by the bootstraps, just like plucky little JP Morgan Chase.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1283078807524724736

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

haveblue posted:

Plus they're collecting a lot of the free money the government is giving to other people

Savings rates are way up recently. If that reverses in the next year or so, that'll be a Bad Sign.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Ain't no one waiting for bank earnings, we wanna see the earnings for everything else that matters.

Kale
May 14, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

President tweets out this news as proof he's doing a good job in 5....4.....3.....

If ever there's been proof that the supposed state of the US Economy and Stock Market has little correlation with general quality of life in America then 2020 has kind of proven it. Like it's not even remotely a good measure of that sort of index it turns out. :shrug:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

Savings rates are way up recently. If that reverses in the next year or so, that'll be a Bad Sign.

How are savings up when unemployment is at record highs and a ton of people aren't making housing payments?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah like i said this is a stunt and he’s not actually going to run

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ah yes, all those "disappointed staffers" at what a "Kanye West campaign could have represented"

Lmao what

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

ILL Machina posted:

How much markup were on those lemonades, you think?

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I wonder to whom this is directed.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1283029342084358147

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Edit:

Grondoth posted:

How are savings up when unemployment is at record highs and a ton of people aren't making housing payments?

I took my fun money and put it in savings because who knows what will happen in a few months and hopefully I still have a job at that point. I'm sure a lot of folks did the same.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grondoth posted:

everyone who is still employed is socking away as much money as they can in case the job market shits itself further and the employed become the unemployed. folks who were closer to the edge tended not to be able to save that much anyway

i didn't save my coronabucks but i did spend every bit of it on reducing my debt load

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Ah yes, all those "disappointed staffers" at what a "Kanye West campaign could have represented"

Lmao what

Yeah all that free money grifting his campaign I'm sure they are disappointed.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Guze posted:

What's beyond "Born on third base, acts like you hit a triple?"

Born on third base, act like you invented baseball.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

luxury handset posted:

everyone who is still employed is socking away as much money as they can in case the job market shits itself further and the employed become the unemployed. folks who were closer to the edge tended not to be able to save that much anyway

i didn't save my coronabucks but i did spend every bit of it on reducing my debt load

You also have the white color wealthy still raking in big bucks. The markets are still doing fine, there are plenty of industries that are still making money right now as well. A big issue that isn't being reported is what money and movement in the economy is all trickling into even fewer pockets right now. It's going to be a massive mess.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So it was a joke / publicity stunt, and then some grifters were able to milk cash from him for a week by whispering into his ear “but what if...”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

looooooooooooooool

:effort:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/1283051432904712192

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looks like it's going to be a short case

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh my god. I wish I was the judge.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:lol:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i read the article, in addition to this fabulous line:

quote:

But most people brushed it off. In a follow-up interview with Forbes, West pledged, if elected, to run the White House like the nation of Wakanda from Black Panther. That remark seemed to reinforce the notion that this was just a lark. After all, West had previously compared himself to figures varying from God to Willy Wonka without attempting to establish the Kingdom of Heaven or manufacture an Everlasting Gobstopper.

actually, kanye had actually hired people and those people were actually out there collecting signatures in florida, and the signature gathering sounds like it was going well because of people thinking it was funny to sign. he canceled the next day. so this actually could have happened, and we are lucky it did not. it's less about him efforting out when told how much work it would be, and more it appears that he just came to his loving senses halfway through

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 14, 2020

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

"How can I possibly be antisemitic when rich Jews control everything?" :smuggo:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/olenskae/status/1283000201993748482

sending a thank-you letter to my landlord saying "Why don't you try getting a real job? :)"

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

My god we need SLAPP laws. Frankly we need a lot of reform in our court systems in general.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

luxury handset posted:

This is personally true. I'm in a very secure position where I can expect to remain gainfully employed unless I commit actual felonies or the United States Government is overthrown in a violent iconoclastic revolution and I've still increased how much I'm saving, though thats partly because a lot of outlets to spend money at are closed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Isn't the entire "point" of AirBNB supposed to be like, making some extra money on the side from a spare room, or like, you're out of town/country? The gently caress do AirBNB "hosts" need any special consideration for besides "sucks you can't make an extra buck right now?"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't the entire "point" of AirBNB supposed to be like, making some extra money on the side from a spare room, or like, you're out of town/country? The gently caress do AirBNB "hosts" need any special consideration for besides "sucks you can't make an extra buck right now?"

They are collectively Gob's "I've made a huge mistake." So now they're looking for handouts because of course they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

IBroughttheFunk posted:

"How can I possibly be antisemitic when rich Jews control everything?" :smuggo:

https://mobile.twitter.com/QuintusHaterius/status/1283052100394590208