Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't the entire "point" of AirBNB supposed to be like, making some extra money on the side from a spare room, or like, you're out of town/country? The gently caress do AirBNB "hosts" need any special consideration for besides "sucks you can't make an extra buck right now?"

yes, but that was quickly replaced by leveraging yourself 10x by buying ten houses with low down payment mortgages where you lie about the house being owner-occupied because if there's one thing people know about real estate, it's that the gravy train never stops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't the entire "point" of AirBNB supposed to be like, making some extra money on the side from a spare room, or like, you're out of town/country? The gently caress do AirBNB "hosts" need any special consideration for besides "sucks you can't make an extra buck right now?"

That's how it started, but it because an investment for landlords. People were buying properties just to AirBNB them, so now the poor things are losing money with every mortgage payment.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

I mean sure but they might lose that house due to record unemployment. No idea why they think this is the responsibility of customers

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

luxury handset posted:

everyone who is still employed is socking away as much money as they can in case the job market shits itself further and the employed become the unemployed. folks who were closer to the edge tended not to be able to save that much anyway

i didn't save my coronabucks but i did spend every bit of it on reducing my debt load

This is why we're so screwed. No one has money, everyone is in debt, and even if you want to spend money on an extravagance like eating out or a movie you can't. Sure, the most oblivious will, but not most people. So the businesses are pretty much hosed. My job appears to be secure, but I'm just paying down debt and sitting at home eating rice and beans or processed box meals because I'm so mentally exhausted by going to work every day I can't bother to go to the store to buy good stuff because the lines to even get into the store are too long to wait. I feel for the people who are stuck at home, but being an "essential" worker (I'm not essential, but apparently I am) is loving exhausting. It's just work and home, while walking past boarded up windows and everyone wearing masks and avoiding each other like I'm in a Sliders episode.

I don't see a way out of this.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Oxyclean posted:

It was but then you saw people rent/buy extra places to make more money and have someone else pay for your mortgages. I know in NYC people were getting rent controlled apartments to use as AirBnBs. When the shutdowns happened all these people have lost their necks. I saw seeing articles a couple weeks in that in some areas something like 70% of all rental units were being used as AirBnBs, most illegally.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Oxyclean posted:

That’s the standard gig economy argument to avoid treating employees like salaries workers, yes

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oxyclean posted:

They're landlords who won't even let people live in their extra houses for a reasonable monthly rent because they're holding out for tourists who will pay hotel prices, and now they're not getting any rent at all so boohoo for the poor capitalists who are taking a bath on their investments. I also read an article about a guy whose friend had mortgaged a half-dozen properties to rent them all out on AirBNB, and now he's got six mortgages coming due and no income to pay them off, so it makes me feel warm to know there might be more people like him loving with the housing market who are about to lose everything.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Oxyclean posted:

A bunch of people have been gobbling up as much property as possible for the express purpose of listing it on AirBNB instead of renting it out normally because they made more money per month on average and they didn’t have to deal with those pesky laws pertaining to landlords and evictions and renters and poo poo like that.

Now that nobody’s traveling these “speculators” are stuck with mortgage payments they can’t pay because nobody’s paying them $100/night to stay in their vacant homes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

In marketing, and perhaps originally, yes. But now it's mostly populated by aspiring real estate moguls who rely on it as their primary income stream. With travel and tourism effectively dead for the near future, a lot of these people are seeing their illegal hotel chains implode and if we're lucky it'll take AirBnB the company with it.

Same way Uber started out as a way to make a few bucks on the side and is now managing a permanent full-time chauffeur underclass.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/joyforfl/status/1283091388163338240

What the gently caress

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

maybe I should have put a bit in about how I kinda know how AirBNB is being used now. :v:
My point was just kind of a fancy way of saying:

Fart Amplifier posted:

No idea why they think this is the responsibility of customers
Like, why should anyone feel bad they overextended by going beyond the original purpose of the thing?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

A bunch of people have been gobbling up as much property as possible for the express purpose of listing it on AirBNB instead of renting it out normally because they made more money per month on average and they didn’t have to deal with those pesky laws pertaining to landlords and evictions and renters and poo poo like that.

Now that nobody’s traveling these “speculators” are stuck with mortgage payments they can’t pay because nobody’s paying them $100/night to stay in their vacant homes.

don't forget the landlords that specifically rented a bunch of rooms from other landlords for the express purpose of relisting them on airbnb, and decided to just walk away once this stuff went tits-up and left their landlords completely hosed on mortgage payments!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Promoted Pawn posted:

yeah basically the per-night rent for an airbnb is hilariously larger than the effective per-night rent for a regular tenant, even after accounting for downtime

so you rent/buy a place that is priced based on the price for long-term living, convert it into a legal hotel, and volia free money by arbitraging residential property into illegal hotel property, and since it's basically free money just keep borrowing more money and making money hand over fist

except you forgot that it's not actually free money, you're also taking on a buttload of risk if you're leveraged to the hilt and boom goes the dynamite

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Grondoth posted:

How are savings up when unemployment is at record highs and a ton of people aren't making housing payments?

Just depends on your economic circle. Of the people I know that lost their job 1 is now living on the 600 a week and renovating his live-in housing flip project full time, others are just waiting it out before finding a new bar-tending gig, but 95% of my friends are working from home with normal pay, and taking a cheaper version of the vacations they had planned already(camping\river trip instead of cabo, etc).

Gas is cheaper, need less of it, vehicle insurance is giving rebates, harder to go out to eat, etc etc etc. If you're a homeowner that hasn't lost employment, how could your savings not be up?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

On the upside, airbnb prices are cheap as hell and they're enforcing 24 hours of vacancy between guests.

It's a good time to go to a woodsy cabin for the weekend, as long as your only activity is staying there, hiking and grilling burgs.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mdemone posted:

Oh my god. I wish I was the judge.

"And as you can see in diagram A, your honor, that George Soros controls the US military."

"And the banks too, diagram B."

"Case Closed"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DeSantis wants schools open in full in the fall, per Trump's instructions

This is removing the safety net for keeping schools closed

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DeSantis is one of the most ghoulish governors in the country and is positioning himself as one of the Trumpiest Trump lackies.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

They need the daycares open or no one can go back to work.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The orders from Trump seem to be "force students to attend classes in person at any and all costs"

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
My sigother and I have been lamenting about how this is the first summer in years in which we aren't working and have the money to go somewhere or do something but are unable to because of COVID. Neither of us drive which normally isn't a problem as we can use public transport to rail or air travel to get nearly anywhere. Now all of that is impossible.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Like, why should anyone feel bad they overextended by going beyond the original purpose of the thing?

Almost everyone who has a mortgage is overextended in the same manner.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pakled posted:

DeSantis is one of the most ghoulish governors in the country and is positioning himself as one of the Trumpiest Trump lackies.

quote:

In Texas, a top medical adviser to Gov. Greg Abbott said the state may need to roll back its reopening plans and reinstitute an economic lockdown if cases keep rising.

"May" roll back reopening "if cases keep rising"?? They're really banking on a magical decrease in cases from doing nothing?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

happyhippy posted:

"And as you can see in diagram A, your honor, that George Soros controls the US military."

"And the banks too, diagram B."

"Case Closed"
I'm picturing him walking around to each person writing "Judge", "Defense Lawyer", "Jury Member 8", etc on them in black sharpie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feldegast42 posted:

The orders from Trump seem to be "force students to attend classes in person at any and all costs"

Pretty much. Kids in schools mean parents are free to go back to work. Parents going back to work means the economy improves. Then the kids and parents all get covid, but hey, if that happens after the election...

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Feldegast42 posted:

think it's dovetailing with devos and administrations constant plans to kill trust in public schools completely, and implement private charters, religious schools

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

haveblue posted:

Pretty much. Kids in schools mean parents are free to go back to work. Parents going back to work means the economy improves. Then the kids and parents all get covid, but hey, if that happens after the election...

Or even before; it's not like Trump cares about lives so long as stock market Number Go Up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

gently caress. Biden is live on CNN and it's not going particularity well. Can't we have an option for someone who isn't a senile person in their 70s??

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fart Amplifier posted:

Almost everyone who has a mortgage is overextended in the same manner.

people who have one mortgage are not overextended in the same manner as people who have ten mortgages

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

One of the old guys at work was ranting last week "Did you see that stupid ****** Kanye is running for president?!". I kept telling him it's a stunt, he's dropping an album in a few weeks and wants publicity. "No that dumb ****** is gonna win and gently caress us over just like his ****** brother Obama did". Alright grandpa, go take your meds

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I find it frustrating when people say "I'm perplexed at," or otherwise feign confusion toward, something they understand perfectly well. Why doesn't Goff-Marcil just say in plain language, even forceful language, "Governor DeSantis cut all funding for virtual learning during a time when that's the only learning we can do, because he hates the idea of money helping the poor."

Is she actually perplexed by this? Is she stupid?

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 14, 2020

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Ronald Dion "Rotlung" DeSantis, Plaguelord of Nurgle

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Pakled posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1YP_zZJFXs

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If you want to see something nutty, find a condo or townhome complex in your county that was completed in the past 5 years and then look up the AirBNBs. The better than city the worse it is, as much as half of units are simply rental investments.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

"When Donald Trump thinks of climate change he just thinks hoax. I think JOBS!" -- Joe Biden

Kill me.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

people who have one mortgage are not overextended in the same manner as people who have ten mortgages

Also your first mortgage has a lot more protections for you, the owner, than mortgages 2-10

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1glitch0 posted:

"When Donald Trump thinks of climate change he just thinks hoax. I think JOBS!" -- Joe Biden

Kill me.

Well it's not untrue. I mean I get what you're saying, but changing to a green world *can* mean more jobs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

what the gently caress

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

evilweasel posted:

yes, but that was quickly replaced by leveraging yourself 10x by buying ten houses with low down payment mortgages where you lie about the house being owner-occupied because if there's one thing people know about real estate, it's that the gravy train never stops

"It's a new paradigm, and everybody who doesn't buy, now, will be priced out forever. Anybody who does buy will be rewarded with a lifetime of riches, as their property will continue its 30% yearly price increase.
Renters, and anybody born in a future generation, will not be able to afford a $15,000,000 starter home in 15 years. They will live in tent cities and Hondas.
This asset bubble is different than all of the others - it will never slow down, or pop. The gains are permanent."

2008 was a hella year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1283101424092495872

Oh, goody.