Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The yellow slug rebel was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Little Death posted:

The yellow slug rebel was great.

It reminded me of the cold open of a Rick and Morty episode in a good way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Surely it isn't the most derided Star Wars movie any more. I mean, episode 9 has only been out like 7 months, but...

Episode 9 is clearly the worst Star War, but it's a Disney Star War which makes it disposable in the same way an Ant Man or a Doctor Strange movie is.

Good or bad, AoTC struck with people in a way that blockbusters rarely do anymore.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah Attack of the Clones has at least some interesting elements even if its a mess with serious pacing issues. was there anything good in Skywalker at all?

The visuals, and to a far, far, FAR lesser extent than other films, the music, because even if it's ill-fitting and nonsensical, it's still John Williams

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Episode 9 is clearly the worst Star War, but it's a Disney Star War which makes it disposable in the same way an Ant Man or a Doctor Strange movie is.

Good or bad, AoTC struck with people in a way that blockbusters rarely do anymore.

I think a big part of it is that it's got the big clones vs droids battle scenes, which the franchise doesn't really have any direct equivalent to, and makes a great launching point for every imaginable war story. (see seen in the various Clone Wars cartoons) And it also has Anakin and Padme's hilariously bad romantic scenes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's a perfect case study in the difference between the Lucas and Disney films. Even if you think AotC was a terrible movie, it still created new storytelling opportunities and a whole universe of interesting things to be your mental (or if your a kid actual) playground. Conversely the Sequels didn't just fail to do that, they outright did the opposite. Every sequel shut down any possible tangent or direction for people to take the universe. Everything is closed off and pre-determined. TFA alone destroyed the ability to tell any story of consequence after RotJ. The Mandalorian only squeaks past by being set more or less outside the universe and being extremely small scale.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

AoTC goes Boom

Absolutely. AoTC is when the prequel EU got cool. Books, comics, games, and everything else set in the PT was suddenly really good. Much of that same PT media surrounding TPM was really blaaahh at the time and decidedly uncool. All of that definitely started with the big rear end ground battle and the sudden ridiculously high stakes.

I liked IX. I was entertained, and the packed theater at the debut was loud and appreciative (as are the audience ratings) so I feel like Disney had 'something' more there than people may think. After VIII being so good, I appreciated IX being so big, dumb, and watchable. And since its not the purported end of the whole franchise like ROTS was at the time, I'm willing to be way more patient with some wank. Maybe the next one will be better?
:unsmith:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 14, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AOTC has much more modern pacing and Tpm is still kind of stuck in interminable speilbergian scenes which modern audiences can’t really take

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'd love more stories set early on in the 19-year gap between RotS and ANH

Also want more Obi-Wan and Anakin during the ten years between TPM and AotC - the one comic mini-series we got eons ago was great

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Definitely wishing for more star wars. That's my no. 1 request

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hux's "I'M THE SPY" was at least fun.

That's one of the things that makes TLJ a decent film in isolation but a terrible middle part of a trilogy. After Hux gets treated as comic relief right the way through TLJ he's not a credible villain anymore, so he has to be replaced by Not-Hux (although I think Grant nails what JJ was looking for originally - there's the sneering superiority that the Imperial Officers had mixed with just a hint of fervent belief, but he's never spitting or shouting).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hugo Weaving was an early rumor for Hux (along with possibly Benedict Cumberbatch and Michael Fassbender), but I think that Domhnall Gleeson is a better fit for the motif of kids playing with their parents' toys that's running through TFA.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Hugo Weaving was an early rumor for Hux (along with possibly Benedict Cumberbatch and Michael Fassbender), but I think that Domhnall Gleeson is a better fit for the motif of kids playing with their parents' toys that's running through TFA.

Yeah, I think the TFA performance is perfectly valid and Gleeson does exactly what is asked of him, it's just that there's tons of inconsistency throughout the trilogy as to what that character is supposed to be.

(I also think all of the performances compare unfavourably against the dispassionate evil of the Imperial officers in the OT, who contrast nicely with the emotional/cackling evil of Vader/The Emperor).

e: \/\/ okay, perhaps 'professionally evil' is the right word. Tarkin is the most obviously evil but he doesn't take any glee in blowing up Alderaan, he does it because he wants to make a point and he just doesn't care about the innocent deaths. In Empire and Return all we really see of the Imperial Navy is the kind of behaviour you'd expect to see in any professional military, they're just tiptoeing around this psychopath who keeps strangling people.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 14, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The officers in the ot are not all dispassionately evil and are humanized on some occasions

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alchenar posted:

That's one of the things that makes TLJ a decent film in isolation but a terrible middle part of a trilogy. After Hux gets treated as comic relief right the way through TLJ he's not a credible villain anymore, so he has to be replaced by Not-Hux (although I think Grant nails what JJ was looking for originally - there's the sneering superiority that the Imperial Officers had mixed with just a hint of fervent belief, but he's never spitting or shouting).

I remember the captain of the dreadnought at the start had that perfect sneer right when it's blowing up, but that whole sequence is brought down by how it makes zero sense in the context of the rest of the movie, because we all know the problems it has with stakes.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, I think the TFA performance is perfectly valid and Gleeson does exactly what is asked of him, it's just that there's tons of inconsistency throughout the trilogy as to what that character is supposed to be.

(I also think all of the performances compare unfavourably against the dispassionate evil of the Imperial officers in the OT, who contrast nicely with the emotional/cackling evil of Vader/The Emperor).

That's not really a unique problem with the trilogy's characters, mind.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember the captain of the dreadnought at the start had that perfect sneer right when it's blowing up, but that whole sequence is brought down by how it makes zero sense in the context of the rest of the movie, because we all know the problems it has with stakes.

That's not really a unique problem with the trilogy's characters, mind.

Mark Lewis Jones is also a good actor.

I do not understand why the Dreadnought is lit like a submarine. They lit it up as a submarine. Why?

e: they also have submarine periscopes.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 14, 2020

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
To differentiate it from the other ship.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I still think the resistance should have been fighting the republic. All of the First Order and Sheevcorp ships have massive dong cannons I don't get why that was the recurring thing

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If this trilogy were a tent, it would blow away.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah Attack of the Clones has at least some interesting elements even if its a mess with serious pacing issues

Just clip out the frolicking scene in the meadow by the waterfalls. That improves the whole movie by more than you'd expect.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Just clip out the frolicking scene in the meadow by the waterfalls. That improves the whole movie by more than you'd expect.

And truncate the thread of Anakin's political thought?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ingmar terdman posted:

All of the First Order and Sheevcorp ships have massive dong cannons I don't get why that was the recurring thing

It's tradition for Star Wars

Remember how Artoo keeps jacking into any open port he can find?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Which version tho

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't know, I feel like the first Ant-Man movie had a lot of good qualities, like interesting fight scenes where the characters actually use their powers and a divorced dad who doe snot get back together with his ex-wife. And Doctor Strange felt like a movie where the filmmakers wanted to go weirder but were constrained by Marvel (and it later came out in interviews that that's true).

There's much blander and boringer Marvel movies to choose for these comparisons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am thoroughly unsurprised that new shows take place in interesting periods of Star Wars history avoiding the larger socio-political situation because boy howdy did the sequel films poo poo up using anything post RotJ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's really amazing that the MCU was apparently more coherently planned out- and it's pretty clear how much they were making poo poo up as they went along- than the Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Even just the basic decision of telling everyone "Hey, the big villain we're building up to is Thanos, everyone got that?" showed more planning than the sequel trilogy had.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

Which version tho
"23 years after release", so the bad one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really amazing that the MCU was apparently more coherently planned out- and it's pretty clear how much they were making poo poo up as they went along- than the Star Wars sequel trilogy.

They took a lot more time to do it though. And they cheat a bit - the vast majority of the MCU films have no connection to each other, other than an odd line of dialogue and an occasional cameo. Iron Man is 2008, The Avengers is 2012, Then Age of Ultron 2015, they've been setting up Thanos and the Infinity Stones since The Avengers but only in a way that doesn't commit them to anything other than 'there's a macguffin and a bad guy' for eight years, then only with Civil War in 2016 does Phase 3 start a rapid arch of actually connected films that lead up to a finale.

It is very well done, but they had the advantage of being able to spend almost a decade pumping out films based largely on pre-existing material in order to find out what audiences liked.

e: it is interesting that Disney tried to replicate this in Star Wars, but it didn't work and audiences rapidly got exhausted of the Spin Off films. Notwithstanding the popularity of the TV-Series.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
And even then, what little they do establish about Thanos in the teasers before his big appearance is basically disregarded. 'To fight them is to court death' or whatever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pretty good posted:

"23 years after release", so the bad one.

Wasn't ESB probably the least edited of the three movies though (aside from reshooting the Palpatine scene with Ian McDiarmid in place of the original actor which I'm personally fine with and changing Boba Fett's voice to match the prequels which I'm less fine with)? Unless there's something I'm forgetting that is.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 15, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
SNOKE was the best, I want a SNOKE trilogy. maybe two, one to explain what he was doing before TFA, then a second trilogy composed of TFA from SNOKE's pov, a whole movie of what SNOKE was doing between tfa and tlj, and then finally TLJ from SNOKE's pov

SNOKE SNOKE SNOKE SNOKE

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Vim Fuego posted:

SNOKE was the best, I want a SNOKE trilogy. maybe two, one to explain what he was doing before TFA, then a second trilogy composed of TFA from SNOKE's pov, a whole movie of what SNOKE was doing between tfa and tlj, and then finally TLJ from SNOKE's pov

SNOKE SNOKE SNOKE SNOKE

SNOKE: Did you say "Snoke?"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Snoke and Sheev, just hangin' out in the spooky Sith arena.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Larryb posted:

Wasn't ESB probably the least edited of the three movies though (aside from reshooting the Palpatine scene with Ian McDiarmid in place of the original actor which I'm personally fine with and changing Boba Fett's voice to match the prequels which I'm less fine with)? Unless there's something I'm forgetting that is.
IIRC, it was a couple of extra Wampa shots, swapping McDiarmid for the old monkey-eyes Emperor (with altered dialogue that was more clunky and less subtle), Fett's voice, some new Cloud City VFX and windows, "EEEEEEAAAaaaaarghhhhh!" as Luke falls down the shaft, and changing Vader's pissed-off "Bring my shuttle" for the entirely unnecessary "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" [Vader's flight is catalogued in tedious detail]. In all, the film got off pretty lightly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Having established Force Projection is a thing in TLJ, they could have least have made it so that Snoke was always actually Palpatine puppeteering the body from afar rather than some undefined creation of incredible power. Because if you can just clone up incredibly powerful dark side users at will then it's really important not to think about the implications of that at all

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I think that Disney thought they could adapt Star Wars like they did Marvel, but it was a mistake to think so. The Marvel movies actually rely on the fact that most of the characters being used had more or less fallen out of popular imagination before being brought back, and that they came from comic books. The listicle generation industry that the Marvel movies created was part of what helped fuel hype for later films, and relied on mining the much less well known source material for clues as to what this version of the characters might do/face. They almost had a map layed out for them ahead of time, and it was easy to find new characters to exploit for b-tier movies to keep the hype going.

With star Wars, they explicitly threw out all the EU stuff. The EU material was different than old marvel canon because the pretense is that it is all one universe. Unlike with comic books, where reboots are common and people accept the idea that movies are about the archetypal characters in a new setting, with Star Wars everything has to fit within continuity if you leave it in canon. So they jetissoned all the extra garbage to make handling the setting easier, but that only left them with the bounds of the original trilogy as existing canon. And disney cannot think outside of the bounds of the media properties they acquire. Disney stays within canon to keep brand integrity, which leaves them nowhere to go with Star Wars. Teasing speculation hooks doesn't work in a trilogy that are supposed to be tightly woven direct sequels to one another, instead of just loosely following the arc the comics set previously, with audiences . and the side movies all have to referrence beloved characters who's story arcs are already played out, in time periods after when these origin movies will be set. Dynamics to work with just aren't the same and that's where they flubbed it.

(I think the Mandalorian and the high republic stuff is them realizing they need to move away from this idea with star wars)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vim Fuego posted:

SNOKE SNOKE SNOKE SNOKE

Snoke? Snoke?! SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hrngh. Colonel. I'm trying to lead the First Order. But I'm dummy tall.