Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Violently Car posted:

Huh, I thought GDQ had a rule against games that require you to be online?

They did destiny 2 and had all the headaches of that ON TOP of the players needing comms so they were on discord together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

A lot of their games have required online. Battleblock Theatre for example (and this one had some weiiiird latency requirements. It had to be laggy). They've been cooler on MMO/Server games though. This was the perfect GDQ for a WoW submission :eng99:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Are they still doing super morbid donation readings during runs? Nothing like reading off a super loving sad story while a guy tries to nail a sequence break and everyone cheers.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

how dare they, actually how dare they

schedule is looking even more skewed towards american prime time than usual :mad:

Yeah I'm coincidentally gonna be on leave during some of that and figured oh cool I can watch stuff live but I don't really want to be up at 4am for it :( oh well some of the good stuff is at a reasonable morning hour at least.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Studio posted:

A lot of their games have required online. Battleblock Theatre for example (and this one had some weiiiird latency requirements. It had to be laggy). They've been cooler on MMO/Server games though. This was the perfect GDQ for a WoW submission :eng99:

It's a real shame because I find WoW levelling runs really interesting. At one end, the low level runs have really cool routing and optimisation. At the other, 1-120 is a loving marathon

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Violently Car posted:

They had a destiny 2 raid run sometime recently

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
ESA banned Punchy because he called them out for harboring nazis.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

It's a real shame because I find WoW levelling runs really interesting. At one end, the low level runs have really cool routing and optimisation. At the other, 1-120 is a loving marathon

I was thinking M+. There'd be some terrible choices (Motherlode lol), but the current season is surprisingly interesting since you get to take lots of Cool Routes.

DoctorWhat posted:

ESA banned Punchy because he called them out for harboring nazis.

They banned him because he was getting harassed by a harasser. The nerve <:mad:>

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i keep getting my acronyms mixed up, is esa the one naeglaria is involved with that basically built itself on being 'we're like gdq except we let you be a chud'

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Johnny Joestar posted:

i keep getting my acronyms mixed up, is esa the one naeglaria is involved with that basically built itself on being 'we're like gdq except we let you be a chud'

That's NASA, ESA is European Speedrunner Assembly.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's the sadder version of GDQ with two streams whose organizers shun any and all confrontation.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sit on my Jace posted:

That's NASA, ESA is European Speedrunner Assembly.

okay, yeah, i was definitely getting them mixed up

esa harboring nazis is kind of hosed up, you'd think there would be historical precedent to look back on to take inspiration from

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I mean there was this whole appeasement bullshit England pulled and made themselves look like fools, so yeah.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So ESA has banned both Punchy and KZ_Frew for getting attention to these things.

It's not the first time they've shown complete lack of backbone instead of stepping up so it does not unfortunately surprise me. They would be content to not call attention to chuds and assholes and reluctantly ban them because I don't know, they have a reputation to uphold as the libertine speedrunning event or something? The whole thing just puzzles me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rip esa, i never watched your poo poo anyways

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

If there's one thing more than anything else I'm not gonna be able to get over, it's that the messaging from ESA here is "Please don't make us actually have to deal with things."

That's just not an attitude you can have, you can't be nonconfrontational when you want to put on multiple big events annually. You also can't be this bad at communicating.

While a lot of people probably wouldn't notice one way or the other I'll just say right here I won't be making a thread for ESA Summer Online (starting next week). Given how much this has soured me, I don't think I'll be watching either.

And I'm just really disappointed about the whole thing. Early ESAs were great fun, I was mildly involved at the very start, hell, I named the event. Was absolutely planning on attending again once I actually could afford it. Now? Doubtful unless they take a long hard look at themselves and make some important choices about what they want to come off as first.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

straight up banning two really fun speedrunners because they said 'hey those people are literally nazis, are you going to do anything about that'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
good on you punchy for sticking to your guns on this

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

site posted:

good on you punchy for sticking to your guns on this

I am mad he switched from punches to guns, personally

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

While a lot of people probably wouldn't notice one way or the other I'll just say right here I won't be making a thread for ESA Summer Online (starting next week). Given how much this has soured me, I don't think I'll be watching either.

And I'm just really disappointed about the whole thing. Early ESAs were great fun, I was mildly involved at the very start, hell, I named the event. Was absolutely planning on attending again once I actually could afford it. Now? Doubtful unless they take a long hard look at themselves and make some important choices about what they want to come off as first.

I don't blame you and I probably won't either. It's sort of like they're running this event for fun and are somehow scared to take a stance if it means something else than empty words. Which is disappointing.

On related happier news, congrats for Punchy for making it to GDQ - and with a Finnish game to boot!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

how's punchy gonna hold his punches? that's like the complete opposite of what being punchy is all about, imo

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

D. Ebdrup posted:

how's punchy gonna hold his punches? that's like the complete opposite of what being punchy is all about, imo

I'm thinking this situation is a little more Succinct than Punchy given how apparently deep his very reasoned tweets cut.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol get lost ESA.

Good on Frew and Punchy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1283098396295913475

"you can no longer send messages to this person"

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
honestly I thought ESA would do nothing I didn't think they'd bungle the response this loving badly

https://twitter.com/esamarathon/status/1282991916469104642

it also somehow manages to get even worse

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

honestly I thought ESA would do nothing I didn't think they'd bungle the response this loving badly

https://twitter.com/esamarathon/status/1282991916469104642

it also somehow manages to get even worse

:chloe:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

When you're extremely not guilty

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao good lord

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Hearty yikes, this is rather unfortunate of ESA. Now the cheese ban wasn’t as serious as it should have been? What the hell

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

onesixtwo posted:

Hearty yikes, this is rather unfortunate of ESA. Now the cheese ban wasn’t as serious as it should have been? What the hell

it's not even consistent with their own statement, which was something to the effect of "we haven't banned anyone before because we believed people could improve. We have now realised this policy is not fit for purpose"

only to renege on that not even twenty four loving hours later

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
even cheese realizes that he hosed up and deserved the ban lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gently caress esa imo

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Violently Car posted:

They had Destiny 2 at one of the recent live events, I believe.

efb, new page

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

ESA? Uh, more like, ES lAme.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I will only start using ESA to refer to the small and unknown European Space Agency.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Erotic Street Art

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Extra spicy assholes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't worry punchy, your ban is only temporary, just like cheese's!

https://mobile.twitter.com/esamarathon/status/1283172192600104962

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

in theory. in practice probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Eating Sour Apples