Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
We’ve had a corona app in Germany for a while now and more than 15 million people have it installed. It already helped track contacts in a few hundred cases, which is pretty good since we only have about 300 cases a day at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Honj Steak posted:

We’ve had a corona app in Germany for a while now and more than 15 million people have it installed. It already helped track contacts in a few hundred cases, which is pretty good since we only have about 300 cases a day at the moment.

Our covid app (immuni) has less than 4m download in BOTH app stores so it's not currently viable to get actionable data

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 14, 2020

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What's the state in the UK of covid tracking these days? I've been in exactly one other building other than my home since the end of March so I haven't got anything installed, but are we finally just using the Apple/Google ones instead of throwing money at a failed app?

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011
There isn't a U.K. tracking app currently. The one they trailed in the Isle of Wight looks like it's been abandoned, there are rumours that an app based on the Apple/google api is being developed, but that'll probably take a while.

In the U.K., if you test positive, you're asked to log into a website where you list recent encounters with people, and then in theory they trace those people, then they get told to self isolate, so that's the extent of "track and trace" in the U.K.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So glad that I've got a glitch in the Widgets panel on iOS/iPadOS 14 where my Dark Sky widget is still there and can't be removed, since I much prefer their visualisation of upcoming weather vs the Apple one, and the fact that Apple are seemingly only having next-hour rain reports in the US despite Dark Sky doing that in other countries already.

Amstrat posted:

There isn't a U.K. tracking app currently. The one they trailed in the Isle of Wight looks like it's been abandoned, there are rumours that an app based on the Apple/google api is being developed, but that'll probably take a while.

In the U.K., if you test positive, you're asked to log into a website where you list recent encounters with people, and then in theory they trace those people, then they get told to self isolate, so that's the extent of "track and trace" in the U.K.
We shall fight the virus in large huddled groups on the beaches, we shall gather closely in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight outside Wetherspoons; we shall never Stay Alert. :britain:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Hell no I’m not going to let them track me that’s crazy!

*uses gmail*
*geotags my instagram posts*
*posts 100 stories on Snapchat with location on*
*uses tiktock*

Seriously though like no one is using it I swear I read it’s got less than a 5% use rate.

It has a 0% use rate in the US because apps that use it have to be developed by government entities. The federal government has given up on even trying, and few states are even intending to set something up, never mind actually having something available. 9to5 is tracking it here. Only Alabama, North Dakota, South Carolina, and Virginia have said they intend to develop something, and none have released anything yet.

North Dakota notably adapted an app for finding your friends at football tailgates for contact tracing without using the api, but it requires you keep your phone unlocked with the app running to work, and was discovered to be sending data to third parties, unsurprisingly.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I just realized, why the gently caress didn't the US federal government pay for a national implementation of the tracker app? It seems like it would cost pennies compared to other federal prevention and treatment efforts and have significant life-saving benefits that would outweigh those costs. In addition to significant cost savings from states paying separately for largely identical implementations. Wtf?

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 14, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't know. Maybe the US' federalist system of government prevents them from doing that? Alternately, maybe current leadership in the federal government is weak and ineffective . . .

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inner Light posted:

I just realized, why the gently caress didn't the US federal government pay for a national implementation of the tracker app? It seems like it would cost pennies compared to other federal prevention and treatment efforts and have significant life-saving benefits that would outweigh those costs. In addition to significant cost savings from states paying separately for largely identical implementations. Wtf?

Why making a single nation-wide app when you can grift one different app for each state?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So my wife uses Apple Music, and I don't, and googling the answer for this isn't working for me. She has a smart playlist in her (Windows) iTunes that's just called "Year-Round Music" that's everything but the Christmas music. (This is the dumb work around we had to use since she loves to listen to Christmas music during December, but you can't "uncheck" music in an Apple Music subscription.)

However, she just added Fleetwood Mac, for example. In iTunes, it shows up in there, and several other new additions to her music library, for over 800 songs. But on her iPhone she has only 666 🤘 songs in that playlist on her phone.

How can she get the iOS Music app to get up to date?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

silence_kit posted:

I don't know. Maybe the US' federalist system of government prevents them from doing that? Alternately, maybe current leadership in the federal government is weak and ineffective . . .

The leadership knows exactly what to do, the prez is tested every day and anyone that comes into contact with him is tested as well.

The leadership just doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else! So contact tracing is never going to happen in the US.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Inner Light posted:

Because the rona is a Democrat hoax created in a Chinese lab that exists only to make Trump look bad so people vote for Biden.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Inner Light posted:

The person running the us federal government simultaneously believes that the virus is a Democratic hoax, is a Chinese bioweapon, and that it’s magically going to just go away.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Honj Steak posted:

That sure sounds like something that would be useful here in my lovely country.:911: :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there an app to explain under what conditions you can apply for asylum and which countries have the best chances of accepting it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Is there an app to explain under what conditions you can apply for asylum and which countries have the best chances of accepting it?

Step 1 of applying for asylum is physically being in the country you're applying to and our US passports are worthless, so unless you're planning on renting a boat to get somewhere, good luck!

(I realize this is in jest.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Get a new phone, get a new cord (and no AC adapter)

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/14/apple-iphone-12-braided-lightning-cable/

At least Apple now recognizes the superiority of a braided cable over whatever the hell they're currently using that falls apart if you look at it wrong.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 14, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

braided cables own

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yall jinxed my AirPods Pro. :mad:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Endless Mike posted:

I'm jinxing your battery life too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Changing the cable to USB-C but also not including a power brick seems dumb.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

~Coxy posted:

Changing the cable to USB-C but also not including a power brick seems dumb.

Yeah, that’s quite an obvious problem with the “everyone has a power brick already” line of thinking.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Would be possible to be USB C to go into phone and USB A to go into power bricks you already have. But C -> C would definitely be ideal and would definitely need a power brick included.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The 11 Pro comes with a USB PD brick with USB C outlet. I'm sure they're gonna include that with the next gen pro models for a generation or two. I doubt they would want to support the cheapest Aliexpress charger that someone runs out and buys instead for a generation or two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

More likely, people will just keep using the USB-A chargers and cables they already have and toss the USB-C cable in the drawer unless they have something to connect it to.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Endless Mike posted:

I hereby curse your phone with a thousand UI shortcuts that will make your life easy, but that you will never be able to figure out.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Y'all arguing about cables and I'm over here having not plugged my iPhone 11 in since I bought it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Y'all arguing about cables and I'm over here having not plugged my iPhone 11 in since I bought it

Wireless charging kicks rear end. I only plug mine in when I’m at my computer. I had a wireless charger on both my night stand and in my car.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I have a wireless cradle at my office and on my nightstand so i can peek the screen when it goes off, then I have a pad right by my door in my kitchen that I use all the time for my airpods and sometimes for my phone. Might need to do a pad on one of the end tables in my living room too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:yeah:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Same. My XS hasn't touched a cable since day one and it's awesome. I don't discount the benefits of moving to USB-C but they'll pry Qi charging from my cold dead hands.

I'm so incredibly salty that I can't use the same charger on my Apple Watch :|

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, this is one more reason I'm glad they're not shipping chargers

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

I love my USB-C PD chargers. I can toss my tiny GaN charging brick (smaller than a 12W Apple charger!) into my bag and charge my Macbook Air, iPhone 11 Pro, Nintendo Switch, and even my iPad Pro with a single charging solution.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Like, don't get me wrong, a move to usb-c would be good in my book, but I certainly don't need the phone to ship with a power brick and cable is what I'm saying

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
As a person who never bought an iPhone new or for over than half the price this is good.
Reselling was always a PITA if you did not have an original charger and headphones to go with the box so the removal of both is quite a bump to more thoughtful owning of an iPhone in my books.
I still have my original brick from 5s, its the cable that dies first and has to be replaced with a higher quality braided aftermarket piece anyway

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 13.6 has dropped :siren:

Apple posted:

iOS 13.6 adds support for digital car keys, introduces audio stories in ‌Apple News‌+, and contains a new symptoms category in the Health app. This release also includes bug fixes and improvements.

Digital car keys

- Unlock, lock, and start your compatible car with your ‌iPhone‌

- Securely remove digital keys from a lost device via iCloud

- Share digital keys easily with iMessage

- Driver-specific profiles so you can configure shared keys for full-access or restricted driving

- Power reserve lets you unlock and start your car for up to five hours after ‌iPhone‌ runs out of battery

‌Apple News‌
- Audio stories are professionally narrated versions of some of the best reads from ‌Apple News‌+, selected and produced by the ‌Apple News‌ editors as part of your ‌Apple News‌+ subscription

- ‌Apple News‌ Today is a new, free audio briefing on the day's top stories from the ‌Apple News‌ editors, also available in the Podcasts app

- A new Audio tab makes it easy to find ‌Apple News‌ Today and Apple

News+ audio stories

- CarPlay allows you to listen to ‌Apple News‌ Today and ‌Apple News‌+ audio stories while on the road
- Local news in your Today feed provides extensive coverage of San Francisco, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Houston, and New York City
- More stories available from local news providers with a subscription to ‌Apple News‌+
- Your daily newsletter from ‌Apple News‌ can now be personalized with stories that reflect your interests

Health

- New category for symptoms in the Health app, including symptoms logged from Cycle Tracking and ECG
- Ability to log new symptoms, like fever, chills, sore throat or coughing, and share them with third-party apps

This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.

- Adds a new setting to choose if updates automatically download to your device when on Wi-Fi

- Addresses an issue that could cause apps to become unresponsive when syncing data from iCloud Drive

- Fixes an issue that could cause data roaming to appear to be disabled on eSIM even though it remained active

- Fixes an issue thats causes some phone calls from Saskatchewan to appear as originating from the United States

- Addresses an issue that could interrupt audio when making phone calls over Wi-Fi Calling

- Fixes an issues that prevented some ‌iPhone‌ 6S and iPhone SE devices from registering for Wi-Fi Calling

- Resolves an issue that could cause the software keyboard to appear unexpectedly when connected to certain third-party hardware keyboards

- Fixes an issue that could cause Japanese hardware keyboards to be incorrectly mapped as a U.S. keyboard

- Addresses stability issues when accessing Control Center when Assistive Touch was enabled

- Provides a mechanism for administrators to specify domains to exclude from traffic carried by always-on VPN connections

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I love my USB-C PD chargers. I can toss my tiny GaN charging brick (smaller than a 12W Apple charger!) into my bag and charge my Macbook Air, iPhone 11 Pro, Nintendo Switch, and even my iPad Pro with a single charging solution.
*plus adapter for the iPhone :argh:

I got one of those switchable port cables for the one charger+cable dream, but it doesn't do PD so it's semi useless for the MBA.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

japtor posted:

*plus adapter for the iPhone :argh:

I got one of those switchable port cables for the one charger+cable dream, but it doesn't do PD so it's semi useless for the MBA.

My iPad Pro is the 10.5" model with Lightning anyways, so I just carry around two cables when I have my MBA and/or Switch on me. It's not a huge deal. :shrug:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a good way to add a photo from onedrive to a twitter conversation?

I’m sure you used to be able to copy and paste an image but that doesn’t seem to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you use Files.app to browse OneDrive you can copy an image from there.