Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

crispix posted:

Do they think everyone has a mattress stuffed with cash?

Yes.

They do.

They have mattresses stuffed with cash, so everyone surely does, and those who don't, are bad people who are being punished for their lack of cash and do not deserve Nandos.

Conservatives are broken.

E: 267 years ago in 1753 was the last sitting o the Cornish Stannary Parliament, a non-governmental body involved in matters related to tin mining, whose members were called Stannators.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's a cool name, but all I can think of is whether the equivalent for lead mining would be Plumbors.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well, Plumbers is right there, but I think Plumbumors is more funny.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

It's cute that the government wants us to go out and spend spend spend not only during a period of unprecedented uncertainty but after over a decade of austerity :monocle:

Do they think everyone has a mattress stuffed with cash? So many people were living hand to mouth even before this year

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes.

They do.

They have mattresses stuffed with cash, so everyone surely does, and those who don't, are bad people who are being punished for their lack of cash and do not deserve Nandos.

Conservatives are broken.

E: 267 years ago in 1753 was the last sitting o the Cornish Stannary Parliament, a non-governmental body involved in matters related to tin mining, whose members were called Stannators.

I would completely believe that Tories don't understand that poverty is an actual thing but it's just that they don't have any ideas at all about restoring demand. Loans don't restore demand, even cash grants (which made up the majority of the arts sector pledges) allow businesses to operate but unless there's a resumption of the cash flow from real customers there's no way for them to actually continue on. The governments £10 discounts for food is a partial way of getting around it by luring people back in but there's still such huge limitations on how many people will take it up that I can't see it being effective - particularly combined with the reputational damages when people start routinely getting covid 19 in eateries and pubs (this'll be a few months away for a lot of places but when autumn hits...). There's just no way of properly getting profitable transactions back into play within a profit driven framework and that's going to tear down so much.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

That's a cool name, but all I can think of is whether the equivalent for lead mining would be Plumbors.

This is a very Sir Pterry kind of musing.

Although there's also that other Fantasy Series Which Shall Not Be Named that has Aurors...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I mean, UBI would go a long way. There are a lot of people who have loving no income at the moment and would buy things like food and medicine and housing.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A glimpse into the friendly and happy world of the UK benefits system under covid dominion: I have my PIP tribunal in September, they're doing it by conference call (old style, not Zoom)

I'm actually glad it's by phone and not in person since I won't have to deal with the cognitive dissonance of saying I can't leave my flat while sat in a courtroom

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean, UBI would go a long way. There are a lot of people who have loving no income at the moment and would buy things like food and medicine and housing.

Eh, labours share of national income has been getting worse and worse but even if you just allocate the few percentage points from capital to get back to a historical average that's going to kick off huge bankruptcies and exoduses of all descriptions. Tories love to pay their mates lots of money to do nothing but they can't pay them that money back or the transference of income to labour doesn't work, you've got to base your economy on economic activity at some point and for pandemic and industrial development reasons they've got nothing.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

crispix posted:

after over a decade of austerity :monocle:

It's also before a decade of austerity

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
since this is uspol i bring it in the form of a simpsons meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcnSpd9qLOg

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Oh man, Squires absolutely nailed it this week

https://twitter.com/squires_david/status/1282989533324144641

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Has the draft antisemitism report been leaked yet? Shame there are no lefties in the cabinet anymore to help formulate the response. :(

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I read that. It's really good.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Prince John posted:

Has the draft antisemitism report been leaked yet? Shame there are no lefties in the cabinet anymore to help formulate the response. :(

The call for evidence, at least from members, closes on the 24th so we're a way off an actual report yet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is a very Sir Pterry kind of musing.

Although there's also that other Fantasy Series Which Shall Not Be Named that has Aurors...
Are they the very non-antisemitic banker goblins?

Well, at least the unlucky souls who mined cinnabar would get to be Hydrators.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, Plumbers is right there, but I think Plumbumors is more funny.

OK Plumbumor.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Tarnop posted:

The call for evidence, at least from members, closes on the 24th so we're a way off an actual report yet

Hmm, I know it's the Express, but seems a bit late to still be gathering evidence:

quote:

JEREMY CORBYN will soon find out the results of the inquiry into allegations of anti-Semitism sweeping through the Labour Party under his leadership, after the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) provided the opposition with a draft of its report.

The Labour Party - led by Jeremy Corbyn from September 2015 until April 2020 - was surrounded by several allegations of anti-Semitism. The party's leader was also accused of not dealing sufficiently enough with allegations made. Labour confirmed in a statement it has received a draft of the report from the EHRC, but that it would be "inappropriate to comment on any of the contents of the draft report" as it has been sent in confidence.

The statement said: “The Equality and Human Rights Commission has provided the Labour Party with a draft of its report into allegations of antisemitism.

“The draft report has been shared with the Labour Party as part of a process afforded to us prior to the report’s publication.

"It is sent in confidence by the EHRC, so until that process is completed, it would be inappropriate to comment on any of the contents of the draft report - and we will not do so.

Under the Equality Act 2010, the subject of an investigation by the EHRC must be given at least 28 days in order to make representations of its findings before the confirmed and final report is released.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1308996/jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-antisemitism-inquiry-ehrc-latest-keir-starmer

Edit:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/labour-handed-draft-equality-and-human-rights-commission-report-into-antisemitism
Ah, sounds like it's more of a working draft, rather than the final one they have to immediately respond to.

quote:

The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has handed over its draft report into anti-semitism within Labour to the party.

A short statement on Monday confirmed Labour had received a dossier, which will now be considered, before a full judgement expected later this year.

A party spokesperson said: “The Equality and Human Rights Commission has provided the Labour Party with a draft of its report into allegations of antisemitism.

“The draft report has been shared with the Labour Party as part of a process afforded to us prior to the report’s publication. It is sent in confidence by the EHRC, so until that process is completed, it would be inappropriate to comment on any of the contents of the draft report - and we will not do so.”

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is there a marginally more ethical place to get masks from that anyone knows of? Obviously no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that, but if I can avoid engorging Bezos' dragon horde then I'm all for that.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is there a marginally more ethical place to get masks from that anyone knows of? Obviously no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that, but if I can avoid engorging Bezos' dragon horde then I'm all for that.

There's an entire cottage industry that's sprung up. You can filter the search on Etsy by location, or if you're on FB, have a look at your local community groups or buy/sell pages, because there will be local people (usually women) advertising on there. Or look at any nearby sewing businesses, who've started making masks to make up for the lack of trade. I'm not sure if it's as ethical as you want, but it helps put money back into your community.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Prince John posted:

Hmm, I know it's the Express, but seems a bit late to still be gathering evidence:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1308996/jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-antisemitism-inquiry-ehrc-latest-keir-starmer

Edit:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/labour-handed-draft-equality-and-human-rights-commission-report-into-antisemitism
Ah, sounds like it's more of a working draft, rather than the final one they have to immediately respond to.

My mistake, I thought you were talking about the inquiry into the leaked report, not the EHRC job

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

oh man, this has hit me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You can get them in Boots, you can get them on Etsy. You could also get this, the most perfectly Boomer-on-Facebook mask.

https://twitter.com/EleanorMargolis/status/1282997148779503616?s=20

Even Gap are selling facemasks now. You can buy New Japan Pro Wrestling themed face masks

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 14, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Of course, it's Bastille Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekoxIb85rww

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm stealing them from work so...

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My local Lidl had a pack of 10 disposable masks for £8, and cloth masks for £3.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Of course, it's Bastille Day:
Also the anniversary of the Priestley Riots.

Lobster God posted:

I'm stealing them from work so...
The most ethical way to get small items.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srmaxbj3FuI

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also international Enby day.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Tarnop posted:

My mistake, I thought you were talking about the inquiry into the leaked report, not the EHRC job

Ah, gotcha! :)

Of all the things I didn't expect to see, here's an article in Bloomberg about how all the handwringing about cancel culture is overblown:

quote:

No, Cancel Culture Isn't a Threat to Civilization

A cacophony of new voices are just making it harder for famous and powerful people to blather on about all sorts of things without interruption.

It's quite long so I won't paste here but amusing in places and a surprisingly sensible take on things.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Is pulling a snood up over your nose acceptable as a mask?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Prince John posted:

Of all the things I didn't expect to see, here's an article in Bloomberg about how all the handwringing about cancel culture is overblown:

Everything I hear about "cancel culture" just feels like the dumbest whining ever. I mean, to begin with, why do these idiot boomers call it "culture"? Like, a single word is a "culture" now?

These wanker cultures should gently caress culture off culture.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Deketh posted:

Is pulling a snood up over your nose acceptable as a mask?

It's acceptable. It's not ideal, because you can't take it off without passing it over your eyes, but it's better than nothing and it will suffice for the regulations.

It doesn't take much.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

thespaceinvader posted:

It's acceptable. It's not ideal, because you can't take it off without passing it over your eyes, but it's better than nothing and it will suffice for the regulations.

It doesn't take much.

Yeah I see. I've been using this and assuming it's as good as a mask at least when it comes to protecting others but didn't really think about the eye thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Would make a good GCSE English essay:

Discuss whether there is any relationship between cancel culture and drugstore culture. (500 words).

Don't forget to reference your source texts.

ED: on a separate note, what's this 'cake' thing that's going around? I feel I have missed something in the last few days.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 14, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

not sure how i should feel about this ancient toxx i made lol https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839963#post478187840

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It affects an area of the brain known as Shatner's Bassoon, altering your perception of time.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

ED: on a separate note, what's this 'cake' thing that's going around? I feel I have missed something in the last few days.

Well, it has an active ingredient which is a dangerous psychoactive compound known as "dimesmeric andersonphospate". It stimulates the part of the brain called "Shatner's bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with time perception. So a second feels like a month. Well, it almost sounds like fun, unless you're the Prague schoolboy who walked out into the street, straight in front of a tram. He thought he'd got a month to cross the street

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/9GAG/status/1283114540796911620?s=20

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Would make a good GCSE English essay:

Discuss whether there is any relationship between cancel culture and drugstore culture. (500 words).

Don't forget to reference your source texts.

It is a lie.

It is what Marie Antoinette defintiely didn't actually say the poor should eat (not just because it was brioche, but also because it wasn't marie antoinette.

Illusion cakes have been around forever I'm not sure why they've become A Thing just recently.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In 1996, Cake emerged in Prague, Czechslovakia. A year later, it appeared as a legal drug in the UK. Cake is a 'made-up' drug, being composed of artificial chemicals. Its yellow colour is achieved through use of an industrial dye.

A young user of Cake is known to have cried all the water from his body, and another vomited out her own pelvis bone. The use of an industrial dye in the drug causes a phenomenon known as 'Czech Neck,' whereby the user's neck swells up until the face is completely enveloped. Cake also contains a psychoactive compound, dimesmeric andersonphosphate. This ingredient stimulates Shatner's Bassoon, and so drastically alters an individual's perception of time.

In experiments, ingesting Cake caused rats to swell massively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cake chat:
wish I'd never asked.
I have no idea whether it is fact or fiction :corsair:
I'll stick with Marie Antoinette version - well that or cream buns.

:chanpop: :chanpop: