Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That is endeed alaruming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I haven't watched most of Cheers (I tried after I finished my watch-through of Frasier a couple years ago, wound up dropping it after a season and a half or so)... is Lilith actually as terrible as she's made out to be in Frasier?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I haven't watched most of Cheers (I tried after I finished my watch-through of Frasier a couple years ago, wound up dropping it after a season and a half or so)... is Lilith actually as terrible as she's made out to be in Frasier?

Generally, yes.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I have a friend (he's much older than me) that is a real honest to goodness Freudian psychoanalyst. Has an MD and everything. Of course he's nothing like Frasier because he's both brilliant and a very good person.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The actress was so amazing that they turned a very awkward and doomed first date into a recurring role.

Because she nailed it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Timby posted:

Generally, yes.

Final season Lilith took a strange turn, though. Sort of necessary once they decided she and Freddie weren't in the spinoff, although there was probably a more in-character way to have accomplished it than what they did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thranguy posted:

Final season Lilith took a strange turn, though. Sort of necessary once they decided she and Freddie weren't in the spinoff, although there was probably a more in-character way to have accomplished it than what they did.

Final season Cheers in its entirety took some strange turns, in fairness.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

daphne moved across america and tried to find grounded psychiatrists to befriend after a terrible experience in new york where a bunch of filth-hounds were gambling over their own masturbatory urges

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Frasier is definitely donating money to Doctors without Condoms

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

food court bailiff posted:

daphne moved across america and tried to find grounded psychiatrists to befriend after a terrible experience in new york where a bunch of filth-hounds were gambling over their own masturbatory urges

she's had a hard life, she was already escaping england where she was a maid & secretary for the pervert benny hill

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And not even getting into her stint rehabilitating the mentally ill in Gotham City

...Maris would probably fit right in there

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Hound posted:

Oh man that's one step from casting her as Lilith, Maris, and Niles' and Frasier's mom, which, now that I'm thinking about it...
And still have Daphne as the only one who can see they're identical.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The episode where Frasier is sick and Niles fills in is my mom's favorite episode. I think a big reason I love the show so much was that it was something that me and my family all watched together when I was a kid. I was a teen when it started airing, so watching Frasier with my family was basically the only thing I liked doing with my parents at the time.
Always makes me feel a little bad for Frasier when you realise that Niles is better than Frasier at this job that Niles disparages so often.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Always makes me feel a little bad for Frasier when you realise that Niles is better than Frasier at this job that Niles disparages so often.

That has to be a writer-driven stab at Kelsey Grammer, who was in rehab or off the wagon every now and then while David Hyde Pierce was left to headline the show for several episodes.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I think there was only one, Head Game, where Frasier is completely absent due to Kelsey’s rehab (save for an opening filmed separately from the rest of the episode).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I think there was only one, Head Game, where Frasier is completely absent due to Kelsey’s rehab (save for an opening filmed separately from the rest of the episode).

Wasn't he again and again drunk, stoned, wasted or just difficult when they were filming? Some of it is even mentioned on his wiki page.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Kelsey Grammer was such a dope fiend that "correcting my Grammer" became the innuendo du jour for getting hosed up in the 90s

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I live in hopes nobody involved with the creation of things I love are outed as child molesters, rapists, republicans etc.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

codo27 posted:

I live in hopes nobody involved with the creation of things I love are outed as child molesters, rapists, republicans etc.

i hear the blues a-calling

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Kyhe posted:

Wasn't he again and again drunk, stoned, wasted or just difficult when they were filming? Some of it is even mentioned on his wiki page.

Yes, several episodes over the years had to be re-jiggered in the middle of filming because Grammer would show up in no condition to work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I wonder if that's the reason we got Niles' comedy of errors while ironing in one episode. It's amazing work.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

I wonder if that's the reason we got Niles' comedy of errors while ironing in one episode. It's amazing work.

That was actually because Three Valentines was directed by Grammer.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

codo27 posted:

Kelsey Grammer is a vehement republican

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I've never been to this thread, and only watched the show in passing when I was younger (though i loved cheers) but I was in Fraser Colorado this weekend, and there is a company there called Fraser Crane Inc.

https://frasercraneinc.com/

hope this helps.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Biohazard posted:

I've never been to this thread, and only watched the show in passing when I was younger (though i loved cheers) but I was in Fraser Colorado this weekend, and there is a company there called Fraser Crane Inc.

https://frasercraneinc.com/

hope this helps.

Truly impressed their website doesn't make a single Frasier reference.

I'm tempted to call and ask "is this Fraser Crane?" to see if they respond "I'm listening."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Kelsey Grammer is a vehement republican

So is Frasier Crane

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

That has to be a writer-driven stab at Kelsey Grammer, who was in rehab or off the wagon every now and then while David Hyde Pierce was left to headline the show for several episodes.

That episode was in the first season, so I don't think so. I think it's pretty clearly spelled out that Niles is just a flat out better psychiatrist than Frasier, he's just jealous of his brother's celebrity.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

if y'all are looking for some of that frasier comedy magic i recommend the film cactus flower, after the ~15min set up it's filled with farce, lies, rouses, misunderstandings, secret loves and eggs all over faces in a way that makes it feel like a 2 hour version of the ski lodge episode - it's probably the hardest i've laughed at something in ages, deffo recommended for fans of the 'frase'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been said before that Frasier is basically a Victorian farce in then-modern Seattle.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Martin! Cover up those table legs! My seance will be scandalised!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

hard counter posted:

if y'all are looking for some of that frasier comedy magic i recommend the film cactus flower, after the ~15min set up it's filled with farce, lies, rouses, misunderstandings, secret loves and eggs all over faces in a way that makes it feel like a 2 hour version of the ski lodge episode - it's probably the hardest i've laughed at something in ages, deffo recommended for fans of the 'frase'

I'm going to watch this after work, it sounds like a banger.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

GamingHyena posted:

Truly impressed their website doesn't make a single Frasier reference.

I'm tempted to call and ask "is this Fraser Crane?" to see if they respond "I'm listening."
You sure about that...

... because I'm pretty sure that Bill is channeling Martin.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

hard counter posted:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm going to watch this after work, it sounds like a banger.
SBS (Australian free-to-air) is streaming it for the next 16 days...

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1585451587709/cactus-flower

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Cable Guy posted:

You sure about that...

... because I'm pretty sure that Bill is channeling Martin.

"Two Cranes working together" almost sounds like a quote.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

what a wasted opportunity for le cigare volant

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I just now figured out that "le cigar volant" is a freud joke

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

That episode was in the first season, so I don't think so. I think it's pretty clearly spelled out that Niles is just a flat out better psychiatrist than Frasier, he's just jealous of his brother's celebrity.
There was an episode where some punk teen started talking poo poo about Frasier's Freud bust and it got him to spend his show ranting about his continued relevance. I've only seen each episode maybe thrice or so so I can't pull too many other specific memories but as a smart show written signposted for the regular smart, I think that's emblematic

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Frasier's Edge is the perfect episode to explain why he is not a good psychiatrist.

"Why do you insist on burying them with psychiatric exercises?"

"Because that's all I have!!"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

I just now figured out that "le cigar volant" is a freud joke

Well, I also just did, right after reading this post, so, Frasier's the gift that keeps on giving imo

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Daikloktos posted:

There was an episode where some punk teen started talking poo poo about Frasier's Freud bust and it got him to spend his show ranting about his continued relevance. I've only seen each episode maybe thrice or so so I can't pull too many other specific memories but as a smart show written signposted for the regular smart, I think that's emblematic

that punk teen was zooey “married an adopted elf” deschanel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
"Sometimes a flying cigar is just a flying cigar"