Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just gave it a quick try. Seems to be fresh enough without being a direct carbon copy. Runs on UE so you know it will look and run good. Its only 6.22gb to download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

multijoe posted:

Deacons of the Deep are actually hard on Cinders now. I both my weapons break before I can seal the deal on the pope guy and their HP is high enough you can't just thin the mob with a few cleaving hits. Think I'm... actually going to have to come back to this one later :stare:

its what I've done lol. Killed pontiff and Oceiros but Deacons are still there

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That sounds like cinders, when I played the boss health was all over the place and would fly around by as much as double from version to version, where the whole high wall of lothric was reasonable up to vordt who took over 5 minutes to kill and made me switch weapons after mine hit At Risk because he had that much health. Next version, he had half as much health and all the other bosses were reasonable except for watchers of the abyss which were a similar affair

Won’t complain about the fat popes finally getting buff though

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Picked this up in the steam sale. Is there any way to make this game borderless windowed without Miyazaki personally marking me as a cheater online?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
i shall partake

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
watching distortion play through the cinders mod and uh the gravetender fight sure is something.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

watching distortion play through the cinders mod and uh the gravetender fight sure is something.

I've not got there yet but I saw that lol

Such a shameless fanservice fight, not sure if I hate it or love it

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Big Scary Owl posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but Mortal Shell (that weird soulslike where you are a white ghost-thing and enter into bodies) is having an open beta. The beta is only on EGS tho.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/mortal-shell/home

this looks really loving cool

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

multijoe posted:

I've not got there yet but I saw that lol

Such a shameless fanservice fight, not sure if I hate it or love it

it looked badass, but goddamn that was alot of hp.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZ9QbAci2Q&hd=1

speaking of distortion, he played mortal shell for a bit.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

YF-23 posted:

Picked this up in the steam sale. Is there any way to make this game borderless windowed without Miyazaki personally marking me as a cheater online?

Late reply, but I have a tentative "yes" to this - the Souls Unsqueezed mod, which has a borderless window mode that works.

But ONLY the older version, v0.4.0. I used this to play DS3 at 3440x1440 for at least 6 months online without any issues outside of a rare crash or two. The newer versions will likely get you a softban, so make sure to turn off the auto-update feature when you first install, and don't use the mod maker's auto-installer, do a manual install instead.

If you get a whitescreen and immediate crash after installing, try exiting out of any GPU overclocking software you might have running. MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner for example I've found doesn't play nice with this mod.

When it comes to anti-cheat mods: if you have PVP Watchdog installed, it and Souls Unsqueezed are incompatible and installing them both won't work. I've found that PyreProtecc can work with it though, and I'm a few days into using both, but I don't know if combining them might flag me for a ban somehow and I found no info from anyone else about using them simultaneously so we'll see.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I didn’t like mortal shell. The combat was slow and clunky and felt like lords of the fallen. And there’s a lot to keep track of since you’ve got so many options. I get that it’s slower because a lot of the options like hardening during a hit is time based, but it just didn’t feel good. Also there were a few times I died but didn’t really know how or why I died. Got killed by an enemy while talking to an NPC, and there are these mushrooms out in the world that look like items you can pick up but when you use them instead it gets a little timer icon revolving around it and didn’t really understand what message it was trying to convey.

The bear traps are annoying as poo poo too.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I also didn't like mortal shell. Very hard pass.

The combat is not only way too slow, but feels like the buttons barely register properly sometimes. I had R1 combos fail to register multiple times, I'm just spamming R1 and the guy does one attack and then nothing happens. R2 it happened even more. Imagine fighting all of dark souls in swamp water with very low stamina, and a dodgy controller, that's mortal shell's combat.

Dodging is quick and short ranged like BB, which is really weird when combined with the slow as gently caress attacks. The idea behind the harden mechanic is interesting, but it essentially amounts to a shield block on a surprisingly long cooldown. It's also weird how you can hold harden forever(?)

The areas in the beta are ugly, dark, claustrophobic and uninspired. Honestly it's barley a single level tbh, the swamp is about the size of the distance between Vorts bonfire up to the Dancer's fog gate. The catacombs after that is about the same length, maybe shorter, and with less enemies.

The boss at the end of the demo has annoying un-telegraphed attacks that can kill you in 1-2 hits. I beat him by heavy jump attacking, harden his attack, and running away until he died. The beta ends after that fight.

GutBomb posted:

there are these mushrooms out in the world that look like items you can pick up but when you use them instead it gets a little timer icon revolving around it and didn’t really understand what message it was trying to convey.

The mushrooms are counting down to respawn, and then you can pick them again. It's weird and seems to be the only source of healing, other than parry kills, which also failed to work multiple times.

The items are weird, you'll find items and won't know what they do until you use them a few times. There's a poison mushroom that when eaten... poisons you. But if you use it multiple times it will instead grant poison resistance. You learn about your 'shell' by using certain items, but not others. You can't level up your shell until you learn it's name. I didn't learn its name in the beta so couldnt level up at all.

You don't create a character, you instead possess specific 'shells' you find. There are two in the beta, a knight with slightly more healthy who's a bit slower, and a rogue with more stamina who's a bit faster and has 'poof black smoke' dodge. There's two weapons also, a 2h sword with a boring moveset, and a 1h hammer and dagger dual wield weapon... which also has a boring moveset. You cannot 1h the 2h sword or choose which hand it goes in, you simply equip it and that's it. Same with the dual wield weapon.

If you swap your weapon you physically put down the weapon you were using to equip the new one. You cannot go back to the old weapon unless you physically go back and pick it up again.

If you successfully hit enemies repeatedly you charge up these brown bars next to your health bar. When you have like, 3(?) you can hold R1 and R2 to do a special attack that kills most enemies and does big damage to the boss. It's kinda like sword arts, but you can do them less.

Honestly the game feels more like Sekiro set to 0.25 speed

Moola fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 12, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It looks like its not going to be a full price game anyway based on the EGS. I dont like that you parry by holding up that ankh thing

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

codo27 posted:

It looks like its not going to be a full price game anyway based on the EGS. I dont like that you parry by holding up that ankh thing

I couldn't the timing of that thing down either. Should have made perfect blocking on harden the parry

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just played through Cinders after not having touched DS3 since it originally came out (and having not even finished it - the DLC and Archdragon Peak were 100% new to me). Was a great experience and loads of fun but the only boss I actually got stuck on was Abyss Watchers. Was Lightning Spear this hilariously overpowered in vanilla DS3? I cheesed the entire game with it, then when I got Great Lightning Spear the game got even easier because it staggers everything so hard, and then when I got Sunlight Spear I had literally no reason to do anything but kite bosses around and huck a gwynbolt at them because it would hit for like ~1200 damage and I utterly chumped every single boss in the DLC with it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

I just played through Cinders after not having touched DS3 since it originally came out (and having not even finished it - the DLC and Archdragon Peak were 100% new to me). Was a great experience and loads of fun but the only boss I actually got stuck on was Abyss Watchers. Was Lightning Spear this hilariously overpowered in vanilla DS3? I cheesed the entire game with it, then when I got Great Lightning Spear the game got even easier because it staggers everything so hard, and then when I got Sunlight Spear I had literally no reason to do anything but kite bosses around and huck a gwynbolt at them because it would hit for like ~1200 damage and I utterly chumped every single boss in the DLC with it.

have you played NG+? I hear there extra content there

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Moola posted:

have you played NG+? I hear there extra content there

Ah poo poo I literally uninstalled the game immediately after finishing it lmao

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

Ah poo poo I literally uninstalled the game immediately after finishing it lmao

YOU DIED

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

DS3's magic is pretty trash outside of a few select spells, and Miracles have it the worst of all. You're lucky to do as much as like, a single Greatsword hit with a GLS. I think the only valid base Miracles are Lightning Stake and Lightning Arrow, and even then they're just decent.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Magic is grossly overpowered in Cinders, and every time the mod author tries to really nerf it, a significant and loud segment of the community goes absolutely bonkers and freaks out until it’s overpowered again.

Cinders in general is a good bit easier than vanilla even without magic as long as you have a decent build. I generally like that because I find vanilla DS3 to be a little too stressful to play.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There are lots of 'valid' miracles, they're basically all of the healing spells. For a normal player going through the game, having access to a lot more healing than you normally have from just estus is really good. And healing spells are the primary kind of miracles, they're what the spell class is mostly based around thematically. It's fine for them to be worse at doing damage.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm not to sure that healing miracles are good when this game throws a bonfire at you every 30 feet and gives you a poo poo ton of estus uses at each one. I doubt that running out of healing is what tends to get people killed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It is if you're bad! I also see people using the bigger miracles to heal their friends in groups when I invade quite often.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I beat Cinders woo!

Is there anyway to backup your saves on pc? Kinda want to do a vanilla run but don't want to lose my Cinders save in case I want to go back to it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Got to The Ringed City for the first night. I got halfway down the stairs past the first bonfire and then put down my controller to turn around and talk to someone. Heard my controller start vibrating, turned back around, and had a pretty big laugh.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Borderless windowed mode:
Download a program called Borderless Gaming. It's free off of GitHub, or $5 off steam. You can use this to make any game run in borderless mode, by setting the game to run in windowed mode then running the program.
Note on my PC DS3 was really touchy about this, and would crash if I pushed any buttons during the initial loading.

Save backup:
Speed Souls Save Manager. It was designed for speedrunners practicing, but it works great as a general save Manager. Make sure to read the instructions to set it up properly.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Magic is grossly overpowered in Cinders

Yeah it owns

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah it owns

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
after three games of magic sucking rear end and only 2 or 3 spells being useful but not as useful as big stick it's kind of nice to have 50 spells that are all good at loving things up

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why should magic be effective as pounding people with giant dragon hammers

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cause it manipulates the essence of the universe directly, probably.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Cause it manipulates the essence of the universe directly, probably.

I don't think you understand how big these hammers are.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You got legions of the very most ruthless & foul of the bowels of hell chasing you and you wanna take 5 minutes to stop and concentrate so you can toss some pussy fireball at them in hopes it even registers? gently caress that when you can be all sh-sh-sha (Dale from King of the Hill voice) chopping them up with giant katanas or swinging some 15 foot axe handle at them, quickly banishing them back to the republican convention from whence they came

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Magic was good in DS2 until From ruined it again :smith:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Magic is strong as hell in DS1, so unless you're counting Bloodborne, it's only two games.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I haven't ever beaten Demon's Souls without magic, specifically Warding.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
cinders making a soup ladle the strongest weapon when fully upgraded is funny. wonder how it actually is since it has tiny reach and (im assuming) no stagger

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Caesar Saladin posted:

I haven't ever beaten Demon's Souls without magic, specifically Warding.

Only beaten it once but same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
innate FP regen is so good, I've been playing vanilla DS3 for a few weeks now and I still miss the FP regen from Cinders. It just feels right