Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Even before the pandemic and mass WFH, I've done video interviews with local people who have a one-sentence good reason for requesting it. Not a big sob story they send the night before, but if someone doesn't have a half day to blow on coming in for round 1 I've always been fine with that. Granted, I am usually only interviewing for junior-ish positions, maybe at a more "serious" level that's not a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Just request an interview either at the start of end of a business day and lie when you request time off to your current job. Hell, be proactive about it and tell your job on your first day that you have a prior commitment that you can't reschedule and you'll need 2 hours next Thursday to address it. It's really common, especially with new employees, because there's often transition associated with starting a new job.

Don't ask for permission. Frame it as "This is a perfectly normal thing that of course your manager wants to help you address."

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
And this job probably isn't going to last :suicide:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Since I'm really not liking my job, and I don't seem to be getting anywhere trying to break into the field I'm actually qualified for, I decided to use the careers counselling service offered by my university.

After explaining to the counsellor where I've worked since graduation, and that I would prefer to be moving away from front line service roles, my counsellor asked if I'd be interested in working at a recruitment agency or disability employment services. I said no, because I hate cold calling/sales, so then she recommended that I start cold calling the companies I might want to work for, asking to speak to their HR manager, and then tell them that I'm really interested in the work they do and that I want to know more about it. Then just start talking about what skills I have that align with what they've just said. "Don't ask them outright if they're hiring" she said, but "just put yourself out there a bit! But on the phone since you can't do this in person at the moment!"

:gonk:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bee posted:

Since I'm really not liking my job, and I don't seem to be getting anywhere trying to break into the field I'm actually qualified for, I decided to use the careers counselling service offered by my university.

After explaining to the counsellor where I've worked since graduation, and that I would prefer to be moving away from front line service roles, my counsellor asked if I'd be interested in working at a recruitment agency or disability employment services. I said no, because I hate cold calling/sales, so then she recommended that I start cold calling the companies I might want to work for, asking to speak to their HR manager, and then tell them that I'm really interested in the work they do and that I want to know more about it. Then just start talking about what skills I have that align with what they've just said. "Don't ask them outright if they're hiring" she said, but "just put yourself out there a bit! But on the phone since you can't do this in person at the moment!"

If there's a university career center out there that actually gets people jobs, I've never seen it.

Actually that's a pretty sweet gig to have. Just shuffle paperwork and give people such bad advise they never come back!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bee posted:

As you surmised, don't do this. We get new grads trying this fairly often with some of our roles. Its not a thing we like.

If I was to start a wide search but I only had a few hours a week to dedicate to it here's what I'd do: (Talking about highly professional jobs here, technician jobs, start with Indeed IMO)
Step 0) Get my resume and linkedin tight.
Step 0.1) Install password manager/automatic form filling plugin like LastPass

Step 1) LinkedIn - hit the jobs section with my desired filters. If they have a filtered feed of new ones, subscribe to it
Step 2) Indeed - Same as above, subscribe to feed.
Step 3) Make a list of companies I'd like to work for. Then make spreadsheet with https://www.google.com/search?q=company_name+careers and open all tabs. Use my form fill software to very quickly apply to jobs I'm interested in.

This process, once it gets rolling, should let you apply to ~50 jobs/hr

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, don't cold call companies.

However, industry events and networking that way can be useful, especially if you're having a hard time getting your foot in the door. Its a PIA and involves pushing your boundaries, but a referral from someone you met at an industry event can literally change your career.

So, the advice has a nugget of value? I guess? But aimed at the wrong place.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

BigDave posted:

If there's a university career center out there that actually gets people jobs, I've never seen it.

Actually that's a pretty sweet gig to have. Just shuffle paperwork and give people such bad advise they never come back!

Yeah. Maybe I should cold call the counsellor's manager and try to convince them to hire me!

Re: LinkedIn auto apply advice - unfortunately LinkedIn/indeed isn't much of a thing where I live (regional Australia). The main roles I see advertised on there are with government, and because their hiring processes involve mandatory addressing of selection criteria and assessment questions, there's no way I'd be able to automate the process for applying to these.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Any advice for interviewing while trying to relocate? Trying to get out of the town I live in but not really getting any traction on positions I've applied to, and when I do get a call back it's "resume says you live in x, are you looking to move here?" "Yes" "ok we have bad luck with that byeeeee."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Find an address from someone you know locally you can use. You say "I am moving on xxx date regardless" adjust story as needed. That kills changes of getting relocation but it'll help about you getting kicked off because of your address.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp, driving 7 hours on Tuesday for a job interview then driving 7 more on Wednesday to go home. I'm interviewing with a fairly major company but for whatever reason they're using some recruitment middlemen to find people for this position.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
That sounds pretty sketchy. They're not paying for airfare? Or even offering a video interview?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd rather drive 7 hours than do a short flight right now. Not offering video interview is dumb as gently caress though, but "Major Company" here might mean they think they are hot poo poo and they shouldn't accommodate anyone they do the kindness of considering. Keep that in mind.

(And best of luck)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

For those of you who have worked in recruiting, what's the protocol for two (or more I guess) recruiters managing one candidate?

I understand that it's a commission-based sales job and you'd be rightly pissed if a coworker took your candidate. But when someone tells me "I see you're in our system as working with Bob Smith, so you'll have to speak with him," when Bob is not responding to my emails or calls, what then?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

2nd recruiter doesn't want to lose his job. Ask if he can forward your email to Bob's boss.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Does this thread still accept resumes? I've updated and anonymized mine with the hope of posting it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Thank you for your interest, but we have decided to go with another candidate for this thread and are no longer accepting resumes.

:justpost:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Attaching it here. It's TNR 11 point font but I had to zoom out to 66.67% on the pdf to make full screen captures of each page. Another edit of my resume mentioned that my GPA at my master's program is a 4.00, but that might be extraneous information so I'm not sure whether to include it or not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 14, 2020

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Second page here. Sorry for the poo poo res

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm not in the educational field which I understand has wildly unique and niche expectations and norms, so please take what I say in appropriate context, which is an outsider who happens to have viewed many resumes in my career.

Some questions for you:

1. What exactly are you looking for? School teaching job? Educational supplement, like tutoring? Related educational field like working for an online educational software company or something? I get the feeling that your answer is "all of them", in which case I'd recommend having multiple tailored resumes.

2. When do you graduate with that MA? Education is a field where that makes a huge difference. Like "Maybe work at Aldi's until you finish" level of difference.

3. I'm a little unclear due to your edit, but are you published? Or did you do editing on a published work?

4. Are you bilingual?

Some advice:

1. Work history is less important than accomplishments. Your description of your tutoring is not very helpful. How long did you tutor, what topics, what was the outcome.

2. Do you have any accomplishments, published works, papers that made it even to your school journals, anything like that? It's worth calling out if so.

3. You have kind of a weird mix of descriptions and then bullet points that are also descriptions.

Try something like:
---
Wings Learning
Classroom Assistant

>Lead instruction across topics, such as reading and mathematics from Algebra to Geometry
>Specialized in assisting children with learning disabilities including autism
>Assisted in student filmmaking, including camera work, logistics and resolving interpersonal challenged
----

Something like that focuses on what you were successful at and is a bit punchier.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yossarian-22 posted:

Second page here. Sorry for the poo poo res

Nice user name. Love that book. Ok, your resume is atrocious. I can't tell if you're trying to milk a week's worth of work into an 8 year job history or if you've been steadily grinding 80 hours/week. Quantify that stuff so people reading your resume can tell.

References don't belong on the resume itself. Take 'em off.

I'd probably drop the last two jobs as well. A summer job 8 years ago probably isn't all that relevant. And the tutoring gig in 2014 for 3 months probably isn't long enough to include. It kinda makes it look like you're stretching.

Also, if you're trying to get hired as a teacher, I'd lead with the substitute teaching experience and explicitly say how many days per month you actually taught. You're leaning awfully hard on one 30-day stint in 5 years of subbing. Furthermore, are you bilingual? I can't tell, but if you are, you should make that front and center on your resume. That's a huge positive.

Your format is also confusing.

You're doing:

Job: Description of job
*bulleted details.

Rather, it should be:

Job
*examples of success at job.

So:

Math Tutor
*Created and taught lesson plans to improve student performance on CORE tests by 17%.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp I got the job, I'll admit I sorta misunderstood what I had been told by the recruiter. I get to work in the major company with their employees as a contractor with other employees to run RF equipment with super nice equipment. Ideally I could work my way into the calibration lab of the larger company since that's my background, we'll see if that pans out

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What is the cool dude way to refer on your résumé to an intermittent job that is more on than off?

I just accepted a job with FEMA, which is as you might imagine contingent on disasters (and yes, as far as I can tell life is a constant disaster these days), so there certainly may be a week or month here and there I am not working. But saying "part-time" seems pretty weak for a job where I could theoretically be working 60 hours a week for eight months straight, and "seasonal" obviously does not make any sense either.

I thought about averaging the hours I worked, including non-work weeks, but is that somehow also misleading?

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

Yossarian-22 I think you would benefit from some paid resume writing help if you have the means right now. You need to start all over again and I assume you're busy wrapping up your master's program. Do they have any resources at CSU you can use? I know UC used to have first come, first served resume workshops that were pretty good. If there's something like that at your school maybe now would be a good time to register before the crunch.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Welp I got the job

~congrats~

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dr. Quarex posted:

What is the cool dude way to refer on your résumé to an intermittent job that is more on than off?

I just accepted a job with FEMA, which is as you might imagine contingent on disasters (and yes, as far as I can tell life is a constant disaster these days), so there certainly may be a week or month here and there I am not working. But saying "part-time" seems pretty weak for a job where I could theoretically be working 60 hours a week for eight months straight, and "seasonal" obviously does not make any sense either.

I thought about averaging the hours I worked, including non-work weeks, but is that somehow also misleading?

I don't think you need to worry about this. You can include the job without specifying if it's 100% full time, I don't think there is any expectation that you need to spell out exactly how often you worked somewhere unless it is explicitly part time, an internship/apprenticeship, or something like that. Someone else can correct me if I'm mistaken.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Do they have any resources at CSU you can use? I know UC used to have first come, first served resume workshops that were pretty good. If there's something like that at your school maybe now would be a good time to register before the crunch.

University resources are uniformly terrible. Yossarian-22, you'll get much better advice here or at askamanager.org

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dik Hz posted:

University resources are uniformly terrible. Yossarian-22, you'll get much better advice here or at askamanager.org

+1 to this

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
I've got a video interview Monday :toot: -- but I have bad pandemic hair and live in a house with very bad air conditioning. I'm a lady and this is a tech position where the company recommends "something nicer than a tee" for the interview. I've got the outfit planned already -- what I wore for presentations at current job so it's above the minimum but not like I'll be completely overdone.

Are ponytails/one big braid still verboten because they make you look bald on camera? I've always worn it down in business situations because it feels nicer, but it definitely won't be nicer in this situation. I'm sure they've seen plenty of bad haircuts lately. Am I overthinking this?

ScamWhaleHolyGrail fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 15, 2020

bee
Dec 17, 2008

As long as it looks neat and you feel comfortable, I think you're good :)

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail posted:

I've got a video interview Monday :toot: -- but I have bad pandemic hair and live in a house with very bad air conditioning. I'm a lady and this is a tech position where the company recommends "something nicer than a tee" for the interview. I've got the outfit planned already -- what I wore for presentations at current job so it's above the minimum but not like I'll be completely overdone.

Are ponytails/one big braid still verboten because they make you look bald on camera? I've always worn it down in business situations because it feels nicer, but it definitely won't be nicer in this situation. I'm sure they've seen plenty of bad haircuts lately. Am I overthinking this?

Is your hair long enough for a neat side pony/braid? If you pull it all the way back, though, I'm sure you don't look bald! :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
everyone knows that COVID has hosed up most people's personal appearance. you'll be fine. why don't you experiment in advance to see what will look best on you?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Before we had a freeze I did an interview with someone who was in shorts and his nephew who he was watching barged in like 3 times. We laughed, it was fine. If the company can't understand that maybe your appearance is slightly different you probably can do better. If its a tech company, making a pleasant joke about covid hair would probably be a good ice breaker.

Agree 100% with play around a bit and see what looks (and most importantly) feels best. You don't want to be self-conscious about your hair, that is more obvious than a bad-hair day.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

Start here.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

Well I've already EMBARRASSED myself by suggesting campus resources for resume help, so I might as well add another post that will probably make people mad.

I have a BA in Liberal Arts, which hasn't really been super meaningful to me except that it's got my foot in the door for roles that require a Bachelor's or higher. It's been a while but I still have the option of taking 4 more online classes and I could get an additional associate degree in December of this year (AS in Computer Science). The total cost with all the fees would be about $4000 😬. That's a hefty sum but it wouldn't strain our finances or derail any long-term goals if it was put towards education.

Would this be worth it? It feels like an obvious "no" but I keep thinking about it. I would love to go back for a Master's but my kids won't be old enough for me to have the time/money/focus for that until many years from now. But I could swing this AS financially and have it done this fall. They have some pretty good online classes to choose from that would be easy for me, but genuinely useful for brushing up on some things plus getting some structured formal learning about subjects I taught myself years ago. It's not an ivy league school, but it's an accredited state college with a physical campus and it's not known for being a degree mill or anything like that.

I'm posting this in this thread because I'm wondering if any of you think your impression of a candidate would change based on that degree being listed. I am mid-career with a solid history and experience so education doesn't usually come up. But, I follow this thread because I'm someone who reviews resumes, interviews, and suggests hires. I usually check out the education section and consider what's there if it sticks out. It's hard to think about it from an outside perspective so I'd like to know if you think this is worth considering for my own career development. I don't think anyone will be blown away by an associate degree but maybe it could make my education seem more focused?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I'm on my phone so pardon any terseness, but don't go for any AS with the thinking that it will open any doors, because any opportunity that gates people through education just will not accept anything short of a four year degree. By all means do it if you want the skills, but trying to use an associates to qualify yourself for a job on paper is never going to help you in the slightest, and your BA already fills that checkbox anyway.

If you want to go that route, in all honesty it's better to portray and position it as work experience, and yes there are ways to do so considering that if you're contemplating an AS degree as a stepping stone, whatever you'd be applying to would probably be entry level.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Well I've already EMBARRASSED myself by suggesting campus resources for resume help, so I might as well add another post that will probably make people mad.

I have a BA in Liberal Arts, which hasn't really been super meaningful to me except that it's got my foot in the door for roles that require a Bachelor's or higher. It's been a while but I still have the option of taking 4 more online classes and I could get an additional associate degree in December of this year (AS in Computer Science). The total cost with all the fees would be about $4000 😬. That's a hefty sum but it wouldn't strain our finances or derail any long-term goals if it was put towards education.

Would this be worth it? It feels like an obvious "no" but I keep thinking about it. I would love to go back for a Master's but my kids won't be old enough for me to have the time/money/focus for that until many years from now. But I could swing this AS financially and have it done this fall. They have some pretty good online classes to choose from that would be easy for me, but genuinely useful for brushing up on some things plus getting some structured formal learning about subjects I taught myself years ago. It's not an ivy league school, but it's an accredited state college with a physical campus and it's not known for being a degree mill or anything like that.

I'm posting this in this thread because I'm wondering if any of you think your impression of a candidate would change based on that degree being listed. I am mid-career with a solid history and experience so education doesn't usually come up. But, I follow this thread because I'm someone who reviews resumes, interviews, and suggests hires. I usually check out the education section and consider what's there if it sticks out. It's hard to think about it from an outside perspective so I'd like to know if you think this is worth considering for my own career development. I don't think anyone will be blown away by an associate degree but maybe it could make my education seem more focused?

If you want to get into programming, a boot camp is probably a better place to spend your money.

If you want to get into IT/DevOps, certifications are probably a better place to spend your money.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I have a BA in Liberal Arts, ... in the door for roles that require a Bachelor's or higher. ... option of taking 4 more online classes ... (AS in Computer Science). ... $4000 😬

Would this be worth it?

I got a BA in English from reading this long rear end post.

Anyway, no it likely wouldn’t be worth it. You’re probably better off with a high quality coding bootcamp or self teaching. IMO, picking some projects you want to do, particularly web apps, completing them with live examples and posting the code to your github repo is prob the way I’d go. 4 online classes to get an AS is prob not gonna make you a good coder. Deploying code you worked on will.

I hire programmers, mostly CS grads, and would consider code bootcamp people as well. It’s fairly common in computer touches jobs for your undergrad degree to not be in CS but the hierarchy goes like this for programmer jobs: EE/CS > other hard engineering/math/physics > IT > code bootcamp with projects > BA with projects > everyone else

An AS in CS would require the same sort of github showing you can do the job that your BA would.

Thanatosian posted:

If you want to get into IT/DevOps, certifications are probably a better place to spend your money.

Also this is a good suggestion if you’re not really that into coding. Particularly Azure/AWS. It fits with my above suggestion as well.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 17, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

If you want to get into programming, a boot camp is probably a better place to spend your money.

Basically this. An associates in CS wouldn't hurt, per se, but as another guy who hires programmers an associate would not be enough by itself. Either way you need a good github with a couple different examples. If you have that now you might be better served finding something to get your foot in the door, if you don't have that a bootcamp would be way better path, but you still need to build some actual code.

If your goals are something other than developer, I still don't think an Associates would be the best use of time/money, but post here or in the Career Path thread and a bunch of us can help you out.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

Sorry everyone I wrote that looong post but forgot to say this: I am a long-time skilled coder, my career has been in web development, and I moved into IT PM/management roles a couple years ago. I didn't realize I left that off until I saw bootcamps in the replies. This endeavor would just serve the purpose of adding "Computer Science" somewhere on my resume, but I now realize this is not worth 4k and nobody would care anyway.

I usually think of myself as immune to marketing stuff, but they reached out to me and got me all jazzed up for another degree, even though it's a lesser kind than what I already have. Technically it's a "deal" because that's way less than an associate would normally be. I'm sure there's some term for that fallacy.

I'm not going to do it, but on the bright side browsing the course catalog gave me some ideas for some (free) online classes I should take.

Lessons learned: if you need to write a long meandering essay on a message board to barely justify an expensive decision, the answer is no.

gamer roomie is 41 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I am a long-time skilled coder, my career has been in web development, and I moved into IT PM/management roles a couple years ago.

lol

Yea if you wanna throw away money on a degree that might maybe but probably not matter theres an MBA thread. And a program management/bitch about the PMP thread.