Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

A kid walks around a video rental store in '91 and talks about movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azYLbtCujJI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I legit wonder sometimes if Shout Factory takes a bath on some of their more obscure or uncommercial releases just for the sake of preserving the best possible versions of them on physical media.

I certainly admire the depth and breadth of their efforts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

empty baggie posted:

I think The Wonder Years had the same issue, but I picked up a DVD box set last year and all of the music seems to be original.

Yeah, I got the box set too last summer. I think they got like 95% of the original music rights.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

empty baggie posted:

I think The Wonder Years had the same issue, but I picked up a DVD box set last year and all of the music seems to be original.

The Wonder Years was an odd case. It was very popular in the early 90's, and then seemed to be ubiquitous in syndication until around 1998 when it just seemed to blink out of existence all together. I just looked it up, and the full series didn't appear on DVD until 2014/2015.

I have a feeling part of why it was really fondly remembered is because it was nostalgia for boomers revisiting their first days of middle school, as well as Kevin and friends being relatable to boomer's children of similar ages. :shrug:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember the lovely ending to that series?

(not talking about the dude and chick not getting together, just basically everything else was either dying or having a tragic future, iirc)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

The Wonder Years was an odd case. It was very popular in the early 90's, and then seemed to be ubiquitous in syndication until around 1998 when it just seemed to blink out of existence all together. I just looked it up, and the full series didn't appear on DVD until 2014/2015.

I was going to say, I think that’s when Nick at Nite got it, and for what it’s worth that’s what Wikipedia says:

quote:

Reruns of the show aired in syndication between September 1992 and September 1997. Nick at Nite then reran the show from October 13, 1997 to February 2, 2001. It also reran on The New TNN (January 22, 2001 to September 28, 2001), ABC Family (November 12, 2001 to October 2, 2004), Ion Television (April 2, 2007 to October 4, 2007), and The Hub (October 11, 2010 to August 31, 2012).

I’m too young to have seen the show during its original airing, and I don’t recall any of my local channels having it in syndication all that often, but I definitely recall it’s stint on Nick at Nite.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

(not talking about the dude and chick not getting together, just basically everything else was either dying or having a tragic future, iirc)

Just like real life!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a feeling part of why it was really fondly remembered is because it was nostalgia for boomers revisiting their first days of middle school, as well as Kevin and friends being relatable to boomer's children of similar ages. :shrug:
yeah it's that (it's basically A Christmas Story, the TV show) and most TV at the time being really bad... the latter was the secret superpower of all half-decent TV shows up through the 1990s.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

no broccoli please posted:

I've been rewatching my Freaks and Geeks DVDs, and yeah, SHOUT Factory did a hell of a job keeping all the original music which is huge for this show.

And now I've spent $30. Thanks, jerk.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Is Life Goes On streaming anywhere? That was early 90s as hell.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alterian posted:

Is Life Goes On streaming anywhere? That was early 90s as hell.

Jesus, that's a blast from the past. I haven't thought about that show in decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSj5Ge-7PO4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Don't forget My So-Called Life.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

Don't forget My So-Called Life.

Nah, that show is legendary among women around my age that I know, for some reason.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

You could have photoshopped the logo for Party of Five on there and I wouldn’t have known the difference. I’d have just thought that any more than the five mains would have just been ancillary characters.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Since we're on a kick of shows with "Life" in the title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKjOPSBRF4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randaconda posted:

Well those were the Wonder Years. By the title alone anything after them is gonna be downhill.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The mom ended up doing well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mu Zeta posted:

The mom ended up doing well.
The dickhead brother ends up being a good tradesman (who probably loses his shirt by Reagan's 80s, tho). Dad dies but eh, rage will do that. Nerdy Beat Friend guy becomes an accountant or something? Mom gets a degree? Hippie sis gets knocked up and... iono what ended up happening to Savage's character aside from having a kid and a wife that wasn't Winnie.

It's amazing how much of that Boomer poo poo colored my perfections of life. I hope my kids aren't weighed down by my bombard candy pop and love of the wild west internet :(

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

FilthyImp posted:

Nerdy Beat Friend guy becomes an accountant or something?

He became Marilyn Manson, duh.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

He became Marilyn Manson, duh.
You're thinking of Drunk Brother from Mr. Belvedere.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adIDkAXl5Yk

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

It's amazing how much of that Boomer poo poo colored my perfections of life. I hope my kids aren't weighed down by my bombard candy pop and love of the wild west internet :(

Eh, The Wonder Years ran from 1988 to 1993, and took place from 1968 to 1973, life wasn't terribly different for children of the same age at that those times. It may have been created to appeal to boomers, but a lot of the life of a 12 - 17 year old boy is going to be fairly universal no matter what time period you set it in.

Any way you look at it, at least it's not nearly as sinister as Forest Gump.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

As someone who watched Wonder Years as a kid during the original run, it's a bit mind blowing to realize the original series was as far removed from the from the time it depicted as we are now from the early 2000s.

I know they just announced a Wonder Years reboot with a black family in the same era, but it would be interesting to do one now with the same "20 years ago" time frame. Imagine a Kevin Arnold who comes of age from 2000-2005 during 9/11 and the societal mess that followed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Porfiriato posted:

As someone who watched Wonder Years as a kid during the original run, it's a bit mind blowing to realize the original series was as far removed from the from the time it depicted as we are now from the early 2000s.

I know they just announced a Wonder Years reboot with a black family in the same era, but it would be interesting to do one now with the same "20 years ago" time frame. Imagine a Kevin Arnold who comes of age from 2000-2005 during 9/11 and the societal mess that followed.

I was actually having thoughts about one that took place during the original run of the Wonder Years. You have the election of Bush I, computers and automation progressively making workers obsolete, the satanic panic, DARE, white suburbia's permeating fear of gangs, and smack dab in the middle of all if it was the first Gulf War. Musically you have the death of glam metal, the birth of grunge, and the release of The Chronic.

One could probably argue that some combination of The Goldbergs and Fresh Off The Boat fill that niche, but they're sitcoms and just don't have the same tone. The Wonder Years was a comedy, but it was more based on the absurdity of life at a certain age.

Also, it would be pretty interesting IMHO, if a hypothetical Wonder Years 2 was centered around a girl instead.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
TWY is a comedy?

How is it not a drama?

I see wiki lists it as a comedy drama. Whatever.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dialhforhero posted:

TWY is a comedy?

How is it not a drama?

I see wiki lists it as a comedy drama. Whatever.

It's drat near a silent movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d8h-tOKYTU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPRD-ce1s2w

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBwe6IL10o

Or just about all of trip-hop, I guess.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Nah it's gotta be the Clown video for Most 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3dEWeu7aII

I still want that floral button-up!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sex Hobbit posted:

Nah it's gotta be the Clown video for Most 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3dEWeu7aII

I still want that floral button-up!

I'm just happy somebody else recognized the band :yaycloud:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Nah, that show is legendary among women around my age that I know, for some reason.

The CNN docu on the 90s spent a lot of time talking about that show in the same category as 90210 and I was pretty surprised to find it was a single season. They also talked up Freaks and Geeks but that had a ton of famous people in early roles.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pentyne posted:

The CNN docu on the 90s spent a lot of time talking about that show in the same category as 90210 and I was pretty surprised to find it was a single season. They also talked up Freaks and Geeks but that had a ton of famous people in early roles.

Yeah, I think there was a strike or something else that delayed filming the second season, and by the time they were ready, Claire Danes was doing other poo poo and wasn't coming back, so they said gently caress it.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Speaking of 90s ensemble shows, I just learned that Parker Lewis Can't Lose is on Crackle. I haven't sat down yet to see if it holds up, but I watched this Shout TV promo and spontaneously blurted out "Oh my God, Kubiac! [pause] Wait, how do I still remember that?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzkh_PQqheY

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
idk of there is a what song is this/ help me find a song thread and in too high to look so imma just post this question here

i bought a 90s rock cd secondhand at a bookstore a few years ago based on the cover art (duh) and i dont have it anymore. However i have a very good recollection of TWO parts of the album.

1. The cover had a buncha strange brights 90s nonsense. There background was a blue sky i think and on the right side was one of those cacti "with arms" and a man's face in the center of it that kinda looked like those Spitting Image puppets

2. one of the songs was called I Won't Cut My Hair or something very close to that

What loving album was this

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

verbal enema posted:

idk of there is a what song is this/ help me find a song thread and in too high to look so imma just post this question here

i bought a 90s rock cd secondhand at a bookstore a few years ago based on the cover art (duh) and i dont have it anymore. However i have a very good recollection of TWO parts of the album.

1. The cover had a buncha strange brights 90s nonsense. There background was a blue sky i think and on the right side was one of those cacti "with arms" and a man's face in the center of it that kinda looked like those Spitting Image puppets

2. one of the songs was called I Won't Cut My Hair or something very close to that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I3kWSBE5qo ?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

no

u rear end

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

verbal enema posted:

no

u rear end

i wanted to help :smith:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Randaconda posted:

i wanted to help :smith:

oh no :c

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Naked Man Punch posted:

Speaking of 90s ensemble shows, I just learned that Parker Lewis Can't Lose is on Crackle. I haven't sat down yet to see if it holds up, but I watched this Shout TV promo and spontaneously blurted out "Oh my God, Kubiac! [pause] Wait, how do I still remember that?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzkh_PQqheY

All I remember from that is the "swoosh" noise they'd constantly use when characters turned their head. Oh and the nerdy jewish kid calling the others sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

verbal enema posted:

The album cover doesn’t match, but Cut Your Hair was a Pavement song off of the album Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, and it’s pretty drat 90’s.