Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Gamer Dilbert is just ripping off a story line from famed Science Fiction Novel "Bill the Galactic Hero".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I was thinking that Wally was out of character in Gamer Dilbert, but suddenly his masterplan is unveiled

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Elviscat posted:

Gamer Dilbert is just ripping off a story line from famed Science Fiction Novel "Bill the Galactic Hero".

Only if the doc reattached the replacement hands to the wrong arms

(Bill ended up with two right arms)

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Am I misreading this, or is Everett taking a poo poo behind a dumpster here? :confused:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Frazzbo posted:

Am I misreading this, or is Everett taking a poo poo behind a dumpster here? :confused:

He's taking a poo poo behind a desk.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Doesn't really have a very effective work surface, the sliding cupboard doors make it more of a bureau.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Only if the doc reattached the replacement hands to the wrong arms

(Bill ended up with two right arms)

One of which was from his dead black buddy.

I just hope Dilbert's hands start acting independently and I'm right.

Or Dilbert lucks out and blows up a superior alien Battle Cruiiser through sheer luck and incompetence, after being impressed into the Galactic Space Navy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Doesn't really have a very effective work surface, the sliding cupboard doors make it more of a bureau.

That's explicitly a writing desk, the top rolls up to reveal a flat writing surface with quills, blotters, sand, sealing wax, everything the modern businessman requires to conduct correspondence.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Everett doesn't really seem like some desk sitting bureaucrat, he seems like he gets paid for randomly wondering around and beating people.
Some sort of municipal special officer perhaps.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Elviscat posted:

That's explicitly a writing desk, the top rolls up to reveal a flat writing surface with quills, blotters, sand, sealing wax, everything the modern businessman requires to conduct correspondence.

Ah, I only saw one like that as a kid and we used it more for storage of papers and things, so I never thought of it as a desk. :P

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Ah, I only saw one like that as a kid and we used it more for storage of papers and things, so I never thought of it as a desk. :P

Your family was all buffoons! *punches u all*

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Obi-Wan didn't say "Use your eyeballs, Luke"

The comic was wrong, and the universe needed to know.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Let's face up to the facts, Luke was not the most impressive jedi knight.
Anakin would have done it blindfolded.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nastyman posted:

He's taking a poo poo behind a desk.

I've never seen one of those without a lock. I mean the whole point of those was so you could lock up your work, unlike drop-front secretaries where the idea was to save space by folding up the writing surface (although I've never seen one of these without a lock, either):

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
What

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's a political cartoon that's been mutilated by 4chan, there's nothing of value to glimpse here.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

By popular demand posted:

Let's face up to the facts, Luke was not the most impressive jedi knight.
Anakin would have done it blindfolded.

He wasn't anything but a force sensitive at that point.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's a political cartoon that's been mutilated by 4chan, there's nothing of value to glimpse here.

1) What's the blue/red stance on GIF
2) I resent that

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I believe the original was about the pronunciation of 'gif'.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

1. Pardon me for not memorizing every Bors in existence.
2. Good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Beachcomber posted:

Obi-Wan didn't say "Use your eyeballs, Luke"

The comic was wrong, and the universe needed to know.

Comic would have been better is the Death Star missed in the last panel.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've never seen one of those without a lock.

There's a tiny keyhole right up the top :ssh:

E: or maybe a 19th century webcam, I'm no professor of antique rolltop desk-ology

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I got a mobile telephone in 1998 because I was stationed in a fort in the middle of nowhere with only two telephones for conscripts and the very first call I ever get is, of course, when I'm in a public library. I was loving mortified but at least learned quickly how to mute the drat thing.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Old timey comics could be pretty dark

https://twitter.com/BarnaclePress/status/1283284249429377025

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol, that idiot couldn't even foresee the invention of hands-free headsets.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I pity the fool who has no designated pocket phone answering personal assistant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anyone else hear a slide whistle?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

anyone else hear a slide whistle?

No but I smell toast.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Does anybody else find it bizarre how often mr true is...I dunno...not a chud?

Yeah, "An angry man who vigilantly makes sure that his fellow citizens behave properly" sounds like something that would very quickly became super conservative and he looks like a mascot of a far-right group, but thankfully it manages to avoid most pitfalls and even be pretty progressive at times.

There's still stuff like him bullying people who dress non-traditionally and an excessive use of violence for minor offenses can be a bit too much, but it's mostly fun.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Svenska? Varför?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kennel posted:

excessive use of violence for minor offenses can be a bit too much, but it's mostly fun.

August 2020: Disney finally starts asserting their copyright so American cops appropriate Everett True with a blue waiscoat as their symbol for "we will murder you with impunity".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Does anybody else find it bizarre how often mr true is...I dunno...not a chud?

I'm not American but I'm pretty sure this is the era of American history dominated by 'morally upright social justice', see suffragettes, the temperance movement, serve your country in WWI like a good boy, etc. I would guess that the main reason it came to an end (specifically things like temperance when Prohibition failed spectacularly, not so much the idea of women voting obviously) is that it was often a front for hypocrisy, classism, and xenophobia. Or in Everett True's case, ultraviolence.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Don't mind me, just posting more Viz

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Turns out the real solution to the trolley problem had already been found two centuries ago!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not American but I'm pretty sure this is the era of American history dominated by 'morally upright social justice', see suffragettes, the temperance movement, serve your country in WWI like a good boy, etc. I would guess that the main reason it came to an end (specifically things like temperance when Prohibition failed spectacularly, not so much the idea of women voting obviously) is that it was often a front for hypocrisy, classism, and xenophobia. Or in Everett True's case, ultraviolence.

I do not quite recall where I read it, but I did read a bit that said Prohibition did not fail. Yes, the law was repealed and people could drink again, but it massively reduced how much, and how many of the population drank regularly.
That is, for the decades after it was ended.

So, it failed in removing alcohol entirely, but it succeeded in reducing it's consumption across the national board.

it could have been bullshit,though. I unno

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Johnny Aztec posted:

I do not quite recall where I read it, but I did read a bit that said Prohibition did not fail. Yes, the law was repealed and people could drink again, but it massively reduced how much, and how many of the population drank regularly.

So, it failed in removing alcohol entirely, but it succeeded in reducing it's consumption across the national board.

The decade after prohibition? You mean 1933-1943, a decade that started early in the Great Depression and ended in the middle of WWII? I can think of different reasons why people wouldn't be able to drink regularly as much.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

This is supposedly alcohol consumption in the US over time, measured by gallons per capita per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that is just the period in which alcohol consumption would have dropped regardless, as it was when the working classes rose from crushing poverty to a quasi-respectable standard of living. It happened in Western Europe as well, where in most countries there was never any form of prohibition on alcohol. Correlation is not causation, and I'd like to see how the study disentangled that.

Prohibition did make sense in the context of America's Puritan tradition and enforcing Protestant supremacism. What I don't really understand is how they reconciled that with their national mythos of loving liberty, freedom from tyranny, big gub'ment telling me what to do, etc. I realize they weren't entirely the same groups, as I believe temperance was mostly a Northern Protestant thing, but I'm amazed at how easily everyone just went along with a blanket ban on alcohol.