Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Starting at 3am this morning I will be reflecting on the international conspiracy that's clearly at play against me.
A lot of research remains to be done. I'll have to dig through every Q announcement ever made, but there's something going on.
I just watched Blade Runner 2049 5 times in a row and the abuse has NOT stopped one bit, clearly this is about something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Bronze Fonz posted:

Starting at 3am this morning I will be reflecting on the international conspiracy that's clearly at play against me.
A lot of research remains to be done. I'll have to dig through every Q announcement ever made, but there's something going on.
I just watched Blade Runner 2049 5 times in a row and the abuse has NOT stopped one bit, clearly this is about something else.

dude please you have so many threads why are you here

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Code Jockey posted:

it's 3 am and I'm watching a link to the past gdq run I've seen like a dozen times, but it's either this or sit here worrying about the forums dying

Same right down to watching the same GDQ stuff I've watched over and over again except not worrying about the forums but suffering under the concept of infinity and that I have to go through the entire rest of my life and then once that's over I then need to wait for not the heat death of the universe but an infinite amount of time

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm too worried about everything to go back to sleep so the threads in PYF about specific decades and also BYOB really help me chill eventually

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Bronze Fonz posted:

Clearly something is afoot!

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!
I was hoping to have some cool 5AM insomniac wisdom to share, but instead I am sad for no reason. Why is this the way that I am.

I drew a weird birdmask lady in the hopes that I would feel better. It didn't really work, but it didn't get worse, so hey.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Umbilical Lotus posted:

I was hoping to have some cool 5AM insomniac wisdom to share, but instead I am sad for no reason. Why is this the way that I am.

I drew a weird birdmask lady in the hopes that I would feel better. It didn't really work, but it didn't get worse, so hey.

cool picture :) you should try coloring it in. might I recommend crayons.

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

cool picture :) you should try coloring it in. might I recommend crayons.

Too delicious. Temptation is unavoidable.

Thank you for the good words though :)

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

It was on fire when I got here
Since i work graves, am i allowed to post my 5-8pm thoughts instead?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

notanarsonist posted:

:justpost:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

notanarsonist posted:

Nite crew is nite crew. Its 3am somewhere

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
3am is a state of mind

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wasted my entire day writing a toy kafka app for the first time that I can use for testing keda for scaling based on kafka consumer lag. near the end one of my consumer groups just stopped working somehow, like doesn't register at all that messages are coming in and I don't know why even though a second consumer group continues to work just fine with the exact same code.

took me like 2 minutes to write a prometheus query to pull my kafka lag stats out of burrow but 2 hours to figure out how to write something in line in my app to calculate the instantaneous lag for each partition because I thought the burrow stuff being delayed by a minute was too much for initial testing. probably would have been easier if i just used confluent's library instead. and i still don't know why the autoCommit thing doesn't work. i set the timer to do it every second and it still did nothing, except it was I think but something somehow in my code wasn't picking it up until i did an explicit commit(). i looked at the source for that method but idk i didn't see anything about a state refresh in it so i don't know why it wasn't working

i should have just wrote it in golang and stole the exact code that the kafka scaler plugin uses for its calculations of lag but ive never actually written golang before and didn't want to rock the boat

im a fraud and i need to carry this burden forward for like another 10 years until I have enough money to retire and become a gardener

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 2, 2020

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
I don’t like 5th edition. 4th had more interesting encounters and 5th guidelines like “just fudge rice rolls” or “give the monsters more HP” devalue the sheer variety of monsters dnd offers.

There.

I said it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
another day another 100 swipes on all the different dating apps met with silence

I got my RSU cliff last week. I've been counting the days ever since I got my 3rd quarterly password change notification, all 93 days. now that i've gotten it i don't have anything to look forward to.

I had a thought that I should start going to church every week as a way to try and meet some women but they're all still closed.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
idk why i do anything. the government stole literally 50% of my rsu cliff when i was forced to sell to cover

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I don’t like 5th edition. 4th had more interesting encounters and 5th guidelines like “just fudge rice rolls” or “give the monsters more HP” devalue the sheer variety of monsters dnd offers.

There.

I said it.

4th edition had a lot of good ideas that were ignored because it was 4th edition. Shardminds, Wardens and minions I include in every goddamn game because I can and they're great.

I like 5th edition, but I feel that it could have included a wider variety of playtesters and/or more time in the pot. It is pointless to dismiss the good things that came before.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I tried playing Starfinder and D&D at my LGS and I encountered:
Guy who would not stop questioning the fact that a girl was playing an android that identified as a man
Guy inviting everyone over to his house to play his homebrew setting that has rape as a backstory
A table full of guys doing Beavis and Butthead laughs about rolling a D10 to see how hot a woman NPC was

Also nobody seemed to be interested in the roleplaying, everyone just really seemed to be into the combat mechanics at which point just play a computer game instead? Computers are better at handling that stuff than pen and paper. Seems like would be fun with a group of cool people though

naem
May 29, 2011

Hyzenth1ay posted:

There.

I said it.

3.5 fo lyfe

feelix posted:

Seems like would be fun with a group of cool people though

I’m watching Critical Role on youtube to make my apartment less lonely during covid and pretend I have friends

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

I wasted my entire day writing a toy kafka app for the first time that I can use for testing keda for scaling based on kafka consumer lag. near the end one of my consumer groups just stopped working somehow, like doesn't register at all that messages are coming in and I don't know why even though a second consumer group continues to work just fine with the exact same code.

took me like 2 minutes to write a prometheus query to pull my kafka lag stats out of burrow but 2 hours to figure out how to write something in line in my app to calculate the instantaneous lag for each partition because I thought the burrow stuff being delayed by a minute was too much for initial testing. probably would have been easier if i just used confluent's library instead. and i still don't know why the autoCommit thing doesn't work. i set the timer to do it every second and it still did nothing, except it was I think but something somehow in my code wasn't picking it up until i did an explicit commit(). i looked at the source for that method but idk i didn't see anything about a state refresh in it so i don't know why it wasn't working

i should have just wrote it in golang and stole the exact code that the kafka scaler plugin uses for its calculations of lag but ive never actually written golang before and didn't want to rock the boat

im a fraud and i need to carry this burden forward for like another 10 years until I have enough money to retire and become a gardener

hack the planet

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I haven't been up in the night in a while. I think I've gone from a manic to depressive phase. I miss y'all late nite folk :(

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

hack the planet

i cant thats the problem

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot to post all weekend lolol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I forgot to post all weekend lolol

oh god it's monday; gently caress.

crossposting from the maymay thread

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thank god its friday right? lamo

wiat no...iots saturday

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat... these aliens bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stuntman posted:

drat... these aliens bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride...

:hmmyes:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

thank god its friday right? lamo

wiat no...iots saturday

what even is time anymore

like it's technically sunday now but is it really thursday, did I miss work yesterday, who knows

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

notanarsonist posted:

3-6am i'm always wide awake. I've worked full time graveyard shifts for almost 2 years now. Money is pretty alright for what i do, and i like it because i'm not a people person, so the only things that talk back are the machines and floors i clean. Lately though, i'm beginning to realize the full price of these shifts, which is costing more than the companies money.

I recently took 8 weeks off work. They shut down on account of the bug going around, and instead of switching to mornings, i opted to take life easy and live off that federal check that went around. During that time, i saw friends i had not seen in forever, and met new people both irl and online. But as i returned, those relationships dissapeared as quickly as my exposure to the sun. My old friends miss hanging out at reasonable hours, and the new friends i've made thought i fell off the face of the earth. I catch them from time to time (mostly the online people) on the weekends, when they can stay up late. But they've already done their gaming/drinking/party for the night, and i only get a handful of minutes before the party winds down and people start heading to bed.

I was fairly content with the work situation before my vacation, but now that my eyes are open and i realize the life i'm forefitting in exchange for work, it's hitting me hard. I'm almost 30, and my friends are living their lives right before mine. Out of state trips, camping and fishing expeditions. Marriages, kids, deaths in the family. All of it is taking a backseat to my career, and i'm being left on the sidelines. A decent relationship also has yet to be found, and it's not going to get easier to find in my 30's.

May this rant serve not only as decent bathroom reading material, but as a potential cry for help. Hopefully it doesn't hit too close to home with anyone else reading this.

Life is too short goonfriend. Take care of yourself and think about recalibrating your work to support your life, not having your life support your work.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At this point its like i involuntary stay up just to post at 3AM

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

'it's dark, let's not sleep anymore and go over your failures.'

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh poo poo there's birds chirping outside and the sun is rising, I guess maybe I should go to bed

oh but there's this thing on steam I haven't played yet, and there's that vacuuming I needed to do,

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I accidentally took a bitchin day nap and woke up at 10pm! Ive been awake ever since

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

that guy with the white hair in the beggining of the xfiles movie really knows how to run

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

arms out to the side all flailing like your stuck always about to fall over. i might give that a shot tomorrow. i dont think ill be able to get a bunch of cops to chase me through the snow but ill give it my all

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

notanarsonist posted:

3-6am i'm always wide awake. I've worked full time graveyard shifts for almost 2 years now. Money is pretty alright for what i do, and i like it because i'm not a people person, so the only things that talk back are the machines and floors i clean. Lately though, i'm beginning to realize the full price of these shifts, which is costing more than the companies money.

I recently took 8 weeks off work. They shut down on account of the bug going around, and instead of switching to mornings, i opted to take life easy and live off that federal check that went around. During that time, i saw friends i had not seen in forever, and met new people both irl and online. But as i returned, those relationships dissapeared as quickly as my exposure to the sun. My old friends miss hanging out at reasonable hours, and the new friends i've made thought i fell off the face of the earth. I catch them from time to time (mostly the online people) on the weekends, when they can stay up late. But they've already done their gaming/drinking/party for the night, and i only get a handful of minutes before the party winds down and people start heading to bed.

I was fairly content with the work situation before my vacation, but now that my eyes are open and i realize the life i'm forefitting in exchange for work, it's hitting me hard. I'm almost 30, and my friends are living their lives right before mine. Out of state trips, camping and fishing expeditions. Marriages, kids, deaths in the family. All of it is taking a backseat to my career, and i'm being left on the sidelines. A decent relationship also has yet to be found, and it's not going to get easier to find in my 30's.

May this rant serve not only as decent bathroom reading material, but as a potential cry for help. Hopefully it doesn't hit too close to home with anyone else reading this.

I know this is a stupid and obvious thing to say but really, find a way to switch it up. Talk to your work about some different shifts if they have them? Night shifts are certainly a fine way to live, but it seems you might be like me where it’s chill to live in a state where you’re not necessarily unhappy, but not good. I can totally relate to what you posted, and it sounds like you’ve realized something you might find worth doing between work shifts. If you let the return to normal ride too long, you’ll forget how much better it feels until you catch another one of those fleeting returns to living.

Anyway it’s goin on 4am and I’m chillin.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Replacing the word "shoes" in any song that has in the the title the word "you" vastly improves it when singing it outloud.

Like U2's "with or whithout shoes".
Or mariah careys "i cant live (if living is whithout shoes)"
Or george harrisons "got my mind set on shoes"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melon stripe tastes like.. melon. :munch:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

im watching bitter lake for the first time and drat kingsley and cleo are great names for afghan hounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

is wahhabism good i cant tell please avoid spoilers