Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So long as they're all horribly wrong in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I'm after watching Deconstruction of Falling Stars and I have one small question. When the Nazi propaganda guy made holograms of the crew for his video, why exactly did he make accurate representations of them if he just overrides their personalities to make them say or do what he wants to anyways? Especially when you consider that making an accurate hologram of Garibaldi led to a nuclear war.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's the only ep I gave up on half way, iirc they made it in a hurry when they got the fifth season.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Eighties ZomCom posted:

So I'm after watching Deconstruction of Falling Stars and I have one small question. When the Nazi propaganda guy made holograms of the crew for his video, why exactly did he make accurate representations of them if he just overrides their personalities to make them say or do what he wants to anyways? Especially when you consider that making an accurate hologram of Garibaldi led to a nuclear war.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember if he says anything. It may have been part and parcel of the tech used that it just inherently makes them accurate physically and mentally as an integrated unit. It may have also been the case that they thought some could be persuaded.

The real answer of course is that it makes for a good story.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Fox News has one of the most accurate and reliable fact checking departments in the business. The reason is that you have to know exactly what the truth is in order to tell the best untruths that fall just short of being lies so you can avoid being sued for libel and slander.

The nazi guy needed to know what the command staff knew and how they would act in order to properly manipulate it for the official record and narrative.

Garibaldi was just the narrative getting away from them.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
He starts by loading reference personalities (accurate representations) just to make sure the system's working fully for when they're running the modified personalities, and then just never turns them off.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Earlier that episode Sinclair is complaining that they got a raise of the military budget while the workers got nothing.

I think I was putting these two lines together then. It wasn't explicit but it sure is implied.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Slamhound posted:

Fox News has one of the most accurate and reliable fact checking departments in the business. The reason is that you have to know exactly what the truth is in order to tell the best untruths that fall just short of being lies so you can avoid being sued for libel and slander.

Any coverage of that you can point to?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For what it’s worth I can barely make it out.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Meanwhile we've got Alpha Centauri posting in the Younger Races thread with a spoiler avatar/text. They've already seen some of that scene, IIRC, but it's still kinda rude given his text adds context they're lacking.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

For what it’s worth I can barely make it out.

Polaron posted:

Meanwhile we've got Alpha Centauri posting in the Younger Races thread with a spoiler avatar/text. They've already seen some of that scene, IIRC, but it's still kinda rude given his text adds context they're lacking.

We're in a time warp/loop. I saw the comment on discord and for some stupid reason replied here.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TraderStav posted:

We're in a time warp/loop. I saw the comment on discord and for some stupid reason replied here.

I was wondering about that. Not the one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CainFortea posted:

I was wondering about that. Not the one.

Nobody listens to Stavros.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TraderStav posted:

I'm not even in the Discord.

Am I? :psyduck:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:thunk:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Polaron posted:

I'm not even in the Discord.

Am I? :psyduck:

I made a comment on discord. Though I should let you have your psyduck headache for not being on discord!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It’s the hair. Understandable mistake.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I didn't notice it because I almost never look at the avatars of posters. So maybe the blind watchers didn't see it, either. One can only hope. The image itself is also not that revealing, considering it's shown in Londo's prophetic dream. The text on the other hand is just not okay.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That feels like something JMS would've hinted at. Even if you know it's coming, there are a lot of questions about what happens between now and then. It should be avoided, but it's not the worst thing to see.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Legally, he is.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Is "The Gathering" not on amazon prime at all, even for purchase? I sure can't find it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's Conaway, not Conway. Show some respect for the dead. :colbert:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

abrosheen posted:

Is "The Gathering" not on amazon prime at all, even for purchase? I sure can't find it.

Scroll down to the bottom of season 1.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Seeing the newbie thread got to Confessions and Lamentations, when is it that the series outright says the Shadows are attacking people who they feel wronged them?

I've always felt the Markab plague was punishment for their ambassador being the only person to talk about the Shadows in one of the early S2 episodes (The Long Dark, I think).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I wonder if that would've come up in Crusade. Definitely seems like the bioweapon that was aimed at Earth.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zaroff posted:

Seeing the newbie thread got to Confessions and Lamentations, when is it that the series outright says the Shadows are attacking people who they feel wronged them?

I've always felt the Markab plague was punishment for their ambassador being the only person to talk about the Shadows in one of the early S2 episodes (The Long Dark, I think).

:monocle: I never thought about that!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zaroff posted:

No, that's explicitly contradicted by the text of 2X18. This isn't the first go-around that the Markab had with the Drafa plague, but the first time was before they were spacefaring IIRC and they confined it to a single island on their homeworld.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

From IMDB's bio of Stephen Furst:

quote:

Never had to read for the part of "Vir" in Babylon 5 (1993). When he went to the audition, he saw that the other actors had their hair done in the Centauri crest, while he didn't. A trip to the bathroom to raid the soap dispenser and plaster his hair up ended disastrously with his hair askew and tears running down his face where the soap had gotten in his eyes. When he was called in, he entered apologizing profusely in run-on sentences for his appearance, whereupon the creator and producers looked at each other and said, "Oh my God! It's Vir!" He asked if they wanted him to read and they said no, he had the part.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That owns

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

If you check YouTube, there are at least two con videos where either Furst or Jurasik tell that story.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Oberndorf posted:

If you check YouTube, there are at least two con videos where either Furst or Jurasik tell that story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTWg7n6AANQ at around 18 minutes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Oof, TheAardvarks reply about "Divided Loyalties"

"I will be interested to see what more we get out of Talia. It doesn't seem like she'll be returning as a good guy, but there's a lot of psi-corps to cover and we still have her secret TK abilities to worry about."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oof, ultrafilter's reply in which he demonstrates exactly WHY we shut the gently caress up in the Blind Thread. Lyta doesn't have her gills until after she's been to the Vorlon homeworld, which happens in between this episode and Passing Through Gethsemane in S3.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ahem.

Everyone shut the gently caress up in the younger races thread please.

Thank you for your time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Edited that out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is why you gotta kick all the older civilizations out beyond the Rim.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

“Wannabe manipulative jerkwads who aren’t as slick as they think they are having a laugh at the expense of people who haven’t been around as long” is an unfortunately accurate characterization of where this seems to be going.

ultrafilter posted:

Edited that out.
Idiot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ultrafilter posted:

Edited that out.

Nothing plot relevant in the spoiler thread! It's not hard!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

DrBouvenstein posted:

"I will be interested to see what more we get out of Talia. It doesn't seem like she'll be returning as a good guy, but there's a lot of psi-corps to cover and we still have her secret TK abilities to worry about."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

TheAardvark posted:

S2E20 - The Long, Twilight Struggle

Wow. Yep, seems pretty clear to me now why G'Kar will be the one to kill Londo.

That felt like a season finale to me, holy poo poo.

I'm pretty sure we all thought this back in the day. :lol: