Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fever tree's a British company but they sell worldwide. They're a huge success story because no one else was making good tonic before them and there was absolutely a need for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For gin, btw, my favorite after all these years and all these gins is still Gordon's.

ditto. dollar for dollar it cant be beat

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Helith posted:

Fever tree's a British company but they sell worldwide. They're a huge success story because no one else was making good tonic before them and there was absolutely a need for it.

nice. im glad they're on top of it. absolutely worth the price

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

for the citrus gin lovers, get your hands on some Malfy con Limone. it's distilled in Italy and it's like if limoncello and gin had a baby. there's also blood orange and grapefruit versions, but the lemon is the standout.

Steve Yun posted:

Tell me thread is there such a thing as a good coconut rum

no, but there is good pineapple rum: Plantation pineapple. it's loving amazing

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I bought Finton’s from Lidl for damson gin, and have a bit leftover. It’s decent. Especially at the price. I don’t love Gordon’s. I don’t like most spirits but I really enjoy a good G&T. It’s the only liquor I drink with any frequency.

A local brewery makes ginger beer: beer with a goodly amount of ginger added to give it a real kick. It’s absolutely delicious. And close enough that I can hop in my bike and be there in 5 minutes to pick up more when needed.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Tell me thread is there such a thing as a good coconut rum

Absolutely not. Make your own! Clement also makes a really good agricole-based coconut liqueur, you might blend that with your rum of choice.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
I have an urgent question:

Can you make a grilled cheese when one of the slices of bread is an end piece? Should I turn it upside down and do it that way? What is the way to do this?

Emergency here.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yes, but it’s not as good

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
Should I do the crust on the inside?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I wouldn’t. I’ve done it with crust on the outside and it was fine. Not great, but fine.

I think crust on the inside would be weird.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

In my opinion crust inside is fine and I have done it with excellent results

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inside Crusters have a vile secret deep within them, the burden of which they find somewhat relieved by the mirroring of this awful situation in their cooking. If you were an InCruster you'd already be doing it as naturally as one scratches an itch. If you're having to ask, you're normal.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

in god we incrust, heathen

You can ease into the incrust life by making the crust-cheese boundary less jarring until you build up a tolerance. The easiest transition tip for a first-timer is to put Ritz brand crackers between the crust and the cheese. Ritz is nature's crust-bread hybrid, you see

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The superior grilled cheese is a quesadilla, which doesn't have problems like this.

:smug:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The superior grilled cheese is a quesadilla, which doesn't have problems like this.

:hmmyes:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Is that a kind of sandwich?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I got four of the biggest beets I've ever seen in this week's CSA haul.

That's a full size can of cat food for reference. Each one is well over a pound.

Soooo what can I do with like 5+ lbs of beets?

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 15, 2020

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That's a full size can of cat food for reference. Each one is well over a pound.

Butt plug party?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Drink and Fight posted:

Butt plug party?

They cut away the flared base, that would be irresponsible. :(

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

roast em, toss with salt and pepper and butter and eat until your hands and face and kitchen look like a murder scene

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Casu Marzu posted:

roast em, toss with salt and pepper and butter and eat until your hands and face and kitchen look like a murder scene

edit: this joke was gross, reconsidering.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 15, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cut up the bread, make a cheese custard and a cheesebread pudding

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Beet tzatziki is amazing. I use this recipe, subbing in homemade labneh for the yogurt. https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/health/nutrition/28recipehealth.html

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mmm. What do you eat it with?

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
God I love beets. I would slice them and cook em with a little butter, water sugar, salt and pepper and a lettuce leaf. Cover and steam until tender. So delicious. Beets are one of my favorites.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I do beets in the instant pot because it's so easy. I actually usually get bigger ones than yours, because when they're spherical, the ratio of insides to peel is so much better.

Wash your beets (cut off the roots/stems but don't peel). Put a couple cups of hot water into the instant pot, then the steamer insert. Pressure cook about 45 minutes. Pull them out and put them on a plate or something to cool. When they're cool, you can use a paper towel to rub off the skins easily. Then I put them in the fridge and eat them for like a week with butter and salt, but you can do whatever.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Beet and mint soup with yoghurt or sour cream is delicious too. Pickle some of them. Cook, dress with vinegar and mint for easy and tasty salad/side. Grate and make a beet curry with coconut milk - very good. Oh! This is spectacular but needs more cooking time than they say: I par cook them in the microwave first.

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/beetroot-gratin
It’s extremely good.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How about a Beetroot curry?

https://www.stroke.org.uk/sites/default/files/anna_jones_beetroot_curry_with_spiked_cottage_cheese_recipe.pdf

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
How has no one said borscht?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bloody ghost titty posted:

How has no one said borscht?

Borscht in the summer feels weird but yeah, these are all great ideas. I'll be trying a few of them out, thanks!

Do beets freeze well at all?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Borscht in the summer feels weird but yeah, these are all great ideas. I'll be trying a few of them out, thanks!

Do beets freeze well at all?

Cold borscht in the summer doesn't feel weird at all.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Cold borscht in the summer doesn't feel weird at all.

Huh, hadn't considered that. Got a recipe recommendation?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Huh, hadn't considered that. Got a recipe recommendation?

Borscht, but not hot.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The key for summer borscht, besides serving cold, is tons of fresh dill to brighten it up.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

We had a lot in our CSA earlier this spring and did Sohla's beet gratin. It was super good: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/11/beet-gratin-pistachio-crumble-recipe.html

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you have a way to make ice cream a beet sorbet can be kinda nice. Brighten it up with some citrus juice.
Cook beets however you normally do puree them adjust sweetness, acid, salt etc...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

The key for summer borscht, besides serving cold, is tons of fresh dill to brighten it up.

I hate dill which is why I mentioned mint. Mint and beetroot is very good.

We sometimes make a very simple soup, using a food processor or blender. Chuck some cooked beets, a bit of cooking juice if available, yoghurt and a splash of vinegar into the blender and blend. Maybe chill for a bit afterwards. That's it. Delicious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Thumposaurus posted:

If you have a way to make ice cream a beet sorbet can be kinda nice. Brighten it up with some citrus juice.
Cook beets however you normally do puree them adjust sweetness, acid, salt etc...

It's also a good ice cream or custard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I just realized I havent eaten beets since I was a kid. All I've ever eaten is sad, sickly sweet canned beets. I should try a beet