Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

thanks for the summary, it's appreciated. I'm running a World Eater's army so I'm not sure if they use cultists as much. I still need to research but right now I'm focusing on my daemon prince and some converted berserkers I'm going to be making

Thing is you're going to want some cultists...or something else cheap...if only to hold objectives. 9th is all about getting to the middle of the board and standing on objectives to rack up VP. But all those Berserkers of yours really want to be moving towards the enemy at all times. How else are they going to get their heads chain-axed off? Having them stop the slaughter so they can babysit an objective is waste of points and killing potential.

That's something cultists, or regular Chaos Marines with bolters and maybe a heavy weapon or something, should be used for instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Youtube's algorithm actively promotes hatred

Is this bullshit because I've never heard this said so bluntly

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

From what I understand it's sadly not bullshit. Youtube promotes watchtime at the expense of all else, and it turns out hateful fearmongers are great at building groups of people who will spend hours upon hours of watching them rant about whatever.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

senrath posted:

From what I understand it's sadly not bullshit. Youtube promotes watchtime at the expense of all else, and it turns out hateful fearmongers are great at building groups of people who will spend hours upon hours of watching them rant about whatever.

Oh god that reminds me of my buddies 16 year old brother getting really into Alex Jones.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

From the replies to that Twitter post about Arch:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I assumed Arch was some loudmouth aussie that swears a lot but nope he's the dude with the weird voice that is missing a fedora

I quite enjoy Auspec tactics. The videos are fairly low effort but he churns them out

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
Just want to chime in with a hearty "go to hell, Arch". gently caress this 'you claim to not exclude people, but what about me, the excluder supreme?' as if it's some logical gotcha and they'll have to let him back in.

Psyber Spine posted:

Oh, this is wonderful :allears:

So I assume the "default" Necron faction going forward will be the Silent King's? Has this ever been done before, one subfaction becoming the poster-boy while replacing another? I know the Ultra's weren't always the poster-marines, but was there a clear leading chapter/legion before?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what is this arch dude’s channel so i can avoid it, i get a bunch of 40k channel recommends. hopefully not Almost Pro Gaming because i like listening to that guy :ohdear:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I assumed Arch was some loudmouth aussie that swears a lot but nope he's the dude with the weird voice that is missing a fedora

I quite enjoy Auspec tactics. The videos are fairly low effort but he churns them out

He's doing the pound shop version of Totalbiscuit's awful fake intelligent voice to appeal to the same people who fell for it from TB.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's very much the case unfortunately. As much as youtube is a place for creatives to express themselves, doing deepdives into hobby stuff and for influencers to sell dumb products to idiots. It's also very much a breeding ground for extremism. It's been dubbed 'the radicalization engine' - which honestly sounds like a loving cool piece of archeotech a genestealer cult clamavus would be lugging about - because it's very good at turning normal kids and teenagers (oh, and boomers obviously) into insane redpill racist incel mra flat-earth chuds.

Have some links:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/08/technology/youtube-radical.html

https://www.theverge.com/interface/2019/4/3/18293293/youtube-extremism-criticism-bloomberg

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/youtube-extremism-and-the-long-tail/555350/

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 15, 2020

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

what is this arch dude’s channel so i can avoid it, i get a bunch of 40k channel recommends. hopefully not Almost Pro Gaming because i like listening to that guy :ohdear:

It's Arch, formerly Arch Warhammer.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Oh okay, that’s easy to remember :)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Just flicking through 9th and already this seems quite good for AdMech. Everyone's gonna hate my kastelans even more than they do already... Looks like Orks and Nids are gonna have to be a bit more defensive? That seems a little off, fluff wise? But what do I know, I started with 8th.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Psyber Spine posted:

Lol I assumed there would at least be some level of pretending not to be racist, like when people say "Look, I'm not saying black lives don't matter, I'm saying all live matter *wink*".

But nah, he's just like "Hey check out my cool white hood and noose".

What a moron. Sadly though we see that social media makes it much easier for niche groups (small and large) to exist and reinforce their own views away from the rest of society, be that the alleged supremacy of the "white race" (apart from all the white people they don't like) or that drinking bleach is the cure to all disease.

I'm glad GW have made their position clear and I'm glad it's "gently caress off bigots" but it's a wider problem than just toy soldier communities. I'm just glad this isn't a historical wargame where its easier to be really keen to collect nazi models and makes it hard to differentiate between an avid gamer who likes their rules and a guy who wanks himself unconscious every night imagining being a nazi General.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Just flicking through 9th and already this seems quite good for AdMech. Everyone's gonna hate my kastelans even more than they do already... Looks like Orks and Nids are gonna have to be a bit more defensive? That seems a little off, fluff wise? But what do I know, I started with 8th.

The best defence is a good offence. If you look at the missions, it's all about board control, and forcing your opponent back into their small section of the board because you've swamped them with units is a possibility.

The Tabletop Titans battle streams have been really great (again, the only ones I can stand to watch) and it seems "Engage on all fronts" is a secondary picked a lot and does score a lot of points. That's be in multiple table quarters but 6 inches from the centre. It requires you to be aggressive. On top of that, being able to stop your opponent from scoring is just as important as scoring, and if they have just one model sat on an objective, it can make them a lot of VP, if it's not an ob sec model by having your own ob sec troops there you take it, forcing them to deal with that.

So far I've not seen them play a game where the player playing defensively has won. The most defensive strategy was the Ad Mech with 8 Castellan robots funnily enough, and they lost to Harlequins because they didn't push up the board enough. The logic being actually you don't need loads of tough units sat on a single objective at the back, and they do more for your score by being aggressive.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 15, 2020

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Ah Christ what did ss82 do, I’m sure I’ve seen some of his videos and if he’s fash he’s getting purged.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Kitchner posted:

The best defence is a good offence. If you look at the missions, it's all about board control, and forcing your opponent back into their small section of the board because you've swamped them with units is a possibility.

The Tabletop Titans battle streams have been really great (again, the only ones I can stand to watch) and it seems "Engage on all fronts" is a secondary picked a lot and does score a lot of points. That's be in multiple table quarters but 6 inches from the centre. It requires you to be aggressive. On top of that, being able to stop your opponent from scoring is just as important as scoring, and if they have just one model sat on an objective, it can make them a lot of VP, if it's not an ob sec model by having your own ob sec troops there you take it, forcing them to deal with that.

So far I've not seen them play a game where the player playing defensively has won. The most defensive strategy was the Ad Mech with 8 Castellan robots funnily enough, and they lost to Harlequins because they didn't push up the board enough. The logic being actually you don't need loads of tough units sat on a single objective at the back, and they do more for your score by being aggressive.

That makes sense and I guess "defensive" wasn't quite the right word, as you say it's about board control and holding positions feels a little less orky than charging everything in sight. I'm not personally bothered by the changes yet, but I'm yet to actually play them. Just stoked that my robits can move and shoot on a 4+ now without a daedalosus having to always shepherd them, even if my precious Stygies Dragoons do lose their -2 to hit. Looks like it's all Mars, all the time for me.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
SS82 posted a rambling screed-style video around the brexit calling immigrants snakes or vermin and such. He also features guests with questionable Nazi styled models. There might be other things but he went on the bad list for me then and I haven’t l looked at his stuff since.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I believe he also deleted comments on those videos that called out the questionable taste his guest had in painting decisions.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Right he’s going in the bin then.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lizard Combatant posted:

That makes sense and I guess "defensive" wasn't quite the right word, as you say it's about board control and holding positions feels a little less orky than charging everything in sight. I'm not personally bothered by the changes yet, but I'm yet to actually play them. Just stoked that my robits can move and shoot on a 4+ now without a daedalosus having to always shepherd them, even if my precious Stygies Dragoons do lose their -2 to hit. Looks like it's all Mars, all the time for me.

To be honest if you're a melee army and you manage to charge everything in sight you'll probably win due to board control.

So every mission has a primary, and every mission you pick 3 secondaries.

You get a max of 45 points for the primary and a max of 15 for each secondary (for 45 total). The primaries are pretty much all "control objectives".

If you're playing an aggressive combat army with big blobs of troops that wants to chop everything up you can pick:

Attrition - Score 4 points if more enemy units have died than friendly units in each round.

Engage on all fronts - Score 2 VP if you're in three table quarters, 3 VP if you're in every table quarter. No closer that 6" to the centre (or you could pick Linebrraker which requires you to get into the enemy deployment zone).

Then maybe Assassinate/Bring it down which is VP for characters or monsters respectively.

If the board has 5 objectives, if you charge everyone up the board and have a couple of token units that can hide on top of objectives (shokk attack guns, gretchin, cheap small gaunt units etc) it means you can cap those while your opponent gets their objectives contested by a 30 model strong objective secured unit.

Obviously there's ways to counter this, Non-LoS shooting, deep striking, strategic reserves etc but generally it seems the more you're able to push up the board and get into your enemy's face the easier time you'll have holding into your objectives.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

He's doing the pound shop version of Totalbiscuit's awful fake intelligent voice to appeal to the same people who fell for it from TB.

What's really funny is he's not even British. He's Norwegian and apparently his accent is super cringe to British folk but an English accent is like catnip to US chuds. Also if you want the true measure of who you're dealing with in a video he described some of the Ogor Mawtribes' Gnoblars as 'house n-words.'

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Lol i had to look up this Arch guy and who on earth thinks he sounds British :wtf:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Pretty sure Arch does. Beyond himself, I'm guessing it's mostly Americans with no real exposure to actual British accents.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
oi guvna this is arch hea to talk your bollocks off about them ninnies whomst thinks they can say who canna play with plastic spacemen

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

oi guvna this is arch hea to talk your bollocks off about them ninnies whomst thinks they can say who canna play with plastic spacemen

this is how my warboss talks. OI, GITS. IT'S ARCH HERE, LET'S GET KRUMPIN'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

senrath posted:

Pretty sure Arch does. Beyond himself, I'm guessing it's mostly Americans with no real exposure to actual British accents.

Yup. As long as you can sound vaguely like Grand Moff Tarkin, you're golden. They're not exactly the best and brightest.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

For real though if you can talk exactly like Peter Cushing there's no reason to ever not.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

there was a kid of a British family at my college who used a British accent even though he was raised in the US and could also speak with a standard US accent, it bugged me at the time because everyone fangirled on him all the time and I was like NO HE'S FAKING but now I get it and would probably do it too lol

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Though it's not Warhammer related, Chud milkshake enthusiast Andy Ngo pulls the same stunt. Confusing British accent == smart was also a plot line in Arrested Development.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

moths posted:

For real though if you can talk exactly like Peter Cushing there's no reason to ever not.

Gotta be pretty exact though

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Beautiful work.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

JollyBoyJohn posted:

YouTube once created pedophile communities by recommending videos of children in bathing suits, giving random videos hundreds of thousands of views: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/world/americas/youtube-pedophiles.html YouTube is pretty terrible.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Kitchner posted:

To be honest if you're a melee army and you manage to charge everything in sight you'll probably win due to board control.

So every mission has a primary, and every mission you pick 3 secondaries.

You get a max of 45 points for the primary and a max of 15 for each secondary (for 45 total). The primaries are pretty much all "control objectives".

If you're playing an aggressive combat army with big blobs of troops that wants to chop everything up you can pick:

Attrition - Score 4 points if more enemy units have died than friendly units in each round.

Engage on all fronts - Score 2 VP if you're in three table quarters, 3 VP if you're in every table quarter. No closer that 6" to the centre (or you could pick Linebrraker which requires you to get into the enemy deployment zone).

Then maybe Assassinate/Bring it down which is VP for characters or monsters respectively.

If the board has 5 objectives, if you charge everyone up the board and have a couple of token units that can hide on top of objectives (shokk attack guns, gretchin, cheap small gaunt units etc) it means you can cap those while your opponent gets their objectives contested by a 30 model strong objective secured unit.

Obviously there's ways to counter this, Non-LoS shooting, deep striking, strategic reserves etc but generally it seems the more you're able to push up the board and get into your enemy's face the easier time you'll have holding into your objectives.

Makes sense so far. I'll have to pick up the book this weekend instead of trying to read scans on my phone.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
I wanted to share these glow in the dark resin crystals I made for my Necron bases. I've decided to re-base my whole army which is quite the process. Pleased with how these turned out, though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Anasurimbur posted:

I wanted to share these glow in the dark resin crystals I made for my Necron bases. I've decided to re-base my whole army which is quite the process. Pleased with how these turned out, though.

Lies, you've just stolen some Tiberium

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Lies, you've just stolen some Tiberium

Kane will be most pleased.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

picked up a box of blood warriors to convert into berserkers, are the bases the same size? I Googled and it said both of them use 32mm bases but I just want to be sure

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Omar al-Bishie posted:

picked up a box of blood warriors to convert into berserkers, are the bases the same size? I Googled and it said both of them use 32mm bases but I just want to be sure

Yep 32 mm for marines.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yep 32 mm for marines.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I think everyone has seen the google doc with the points in it at this point, does anyone know of a place to see the FW points values?

I'm thinking some of the Fighters/Bombers/Gunships might be better takes now due to heavy weapon changes.