Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

The issue is less that they are centrist, but that they have managed to gain a mainstream reputation for being very left-wing. And they still have enormous influence on the left - I would say that The Guardian is the no. 1 reason Keir Starmer is Labour leader right now by miles.

I agree. So many of the folk I know in the Labour party trust and buy the Guardian. Funnily enough the only person I know in real life who hasn't trusted the Guardian for years is a former labour MP I know who was of the Blairite tendency and who told me he was surprised when I said members trusted the Guardian because, he said, the Guardian have always been against the Labour Party. (And then he told me some issue which I can't remember when the Graun had totally rubbished labour who were in power at the time but since when he has never trusted them).

Blimey second page snipe in 2 pages.

Catte tax:

CATTE
Acronym Definition
CATTE Combined Arms Tactical Training Exercise

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Guardian does did very good investigative journalism into things the other papers would rather be ignored.

I'm fairly sure that the Graun has fired most of its investigative reporters over the past five years. Hence why nobody goes to them with stuff like the panama papers anymore. See: That article I keep posting about how the security services turned them post-snowden.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so the labour party are formally apologising to all the cunts in the panorama documentary

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

Is it wrong to be hoping The Guardian just loving goes under already?

I feel like as the default 'left' newspaper they suck all the oxygen out of the room with their lovely centrism and ghoulish columnists. Maybe something better would replace it, maybe we'd be better off with literally nothing filling its spot.

I don't know if I'm just defeatist but I fancy we're better with it than without it. Otherwise we're allowing a worse, more-right wing publication like The Independent to designate how far to the left broadsheet journalism can be.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
nobody goes to them with the panama papers because they were housebroken by the intelligence service after the snowden leaks

luke harding is the SIS's tame journalist used to place or shape stories in the broadsheet press, frank gardner (at the bbc) does the same for security service. naturally they couldn't share and had to develop competing solutions.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The DPRK posted:

I don't know if I'm just defeatist but I fancy we're better with it than without it. Otherwise we're allowing a worse, more-right wing publication like The Independent to designate how far to the left broadsheet journalism can be.

I have to say I have found The Independent much more left than the Graun in the past few years. Yes they have Rent-a-tool but there are also some more supportive items in there.

Dead Goon posted:

I went to the local shop for the first time in ages and decided to wear a mask as I have some now.

No one on the way to the shop had a mask, no one coming in and out of the shop had a mask, and the lady behind the counter didn't have a mask (although she was wearing gloves).

It was really hot and uncomfortable, but I didn't die and members of the public didn't hurl bricks or abuse at me.

In summary, I have eaten a whole bag of Skittles.

For the sake of the cleaning persons, never eat Skittles in a pub and drop them all over the floor. They are a sod to clean up - as bad as chewing gum. Ask me how I know (not really. I was an early morning pub cleaner for a 3 months).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you'd think after luke harding made them look like massive fools over the manafort met assange story they would stop featuring him

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

so the labour party are formally apologising to all the cunts in the panorama documentary

Sounds like they want to "draw a line under the problem". Meaning Keir wants people to shut up about it forever since it negatively effects him instead of the left now.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Either that or they really haven't thought this through properly. Not sure which is worse tbh

Wear a mask if you're in Boots for pharmacy etc. but not if you're buying a meal deal

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The concept of "broadsheet journalism" is irrelevant imo. It's just rich people circle jerkin'.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Either that or they really haven't thought this through properly. Not sure which is worse tbh

Have they given any reasoning at all for it? I don't see why it's suddenly ok for people to be coughing freely if there's food being prepared nearby.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/15/police-treated-unfairly-over-incidents-caught-on-video-says-senior-officer

Lol at the Met. Being mildly critiscised and suffering absolutely no consequences for tasering someone unecessarily who then was seriously injured by the fall is 'unfair.'

For reference this is the video in question.

https://twitter.com/Wretch32/status/1270430645584572417?s=20

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 15, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dead Goon posted:

I went to the local shop for the first time in ages and decided to wear a mask as I have some now.

No one on the way to the shop had a mask, no one coming in and out of the shop had a mask, and the lady behind the counter didn't have a mask (although she was wearing gloves).

It was really hot and uncomfortable, but I didn't die and members of the public didn't hurl bricks or abuse at me.

I only started with the masks after lockdown started easing in... april? gently caress IDK - and I've watched numbers of people using them go down and down since. When I was out last Friday i would guesstimate maybe 10% of people wearing them, and of those only 90% wearing them properly.

It's so loving disheartening.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

so that's yr response to the sabotage leaks foreshadowed then

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

it's good but it's not as good as this

There's a face covering the whole nation can get behind

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
So many people maskless today and the poor retail workers are clearly being forced to grin through it. I really hope they invent a vaccine soon

Then again if people are kicking off about mandatory masks they're going to go fullon anti-vaxx on the vaccine aren't they? loving thing's going to mutate and be around forever cos the tinfoil hats are going to be out there protesting about the government is putting 5G in our kids.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Isomermaid posted:

So many people maskless today and the poor retail workers are clearly being forced to grin through it. I really hope they invent a vaccine soon

Then again if people are kicking off about mandatory masks they're going to go fullon anti-vaxx on the vaccine aren't they?

Absolutely yes.

It's exacty the same reactinoary right-wing movement as in the US, it shares the same talking points, and anti-vaxx is a huge part of it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1283417739638562816?s=20

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

You can call all the right wing labour people anti Semitic non stop btw, it’s a gift they’ve given us

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Saros posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/15/police-treated-unfairly-over-incidents-caught-on-video-says-senior-officer

Lol at the Met. Being mildly critiscised and suffering absolutely no consequences for tasering someone unecessarily who then was seriously injured by the fall is 'unfair.'

For reference this is the video in question.

https://twitter.com/Wretch32/status/1270430645584572417?s=20

quote:

“What the commissioner apologised for was the distress caused to Bianca Williams … she was not apologising for the stop and search. That has to be very clearly stated. We have reviewed that stop and search twice by two separate teams of officers from professional standards. Neither team saw anything wrong with it.”

we investigated ourselves and decided we're good lads who mean well and the public are being so horrid and unfair to us :qq:

gently caress the police

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/CatholicHerald/status/1283371303492345856

Brendan with his long tradition of defending child rapists again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao at that being in the catholic herald

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I've not seen many at all in the Co-op.

No masks in the Co-Op I work at - but it's OK I've been told policy is we don't have to worry about contract tracing etc unless we have been within 2m of an infected person for 15mins.

The co-op have been remarkably poo poo at PPE - it took a month from lockdown to get perspex screens at the tills, there's a bag of paper masks in the office, and the gloves issued are the same ones used in the bakery. They tear all the time and are too slippery to use when handling glass and so on.
We got face shields last week (That are too cloudy to actually see through properly).

I wear a mask and gloves at work, no one else does.

I probably had the virus in mid March, and have had symptoms ever since, coming and going.

As of last week, I'm signed off work with Respiratory Distress - I was aiming for stress, but that's what my GP put as she booked me in for a chest X-Ray (I've had migraine and gout attacks over the last 4-6 weeks which are all due to stress).
So now I'm sitting here with a resting pulse of over 100, waiting for the results.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 15, 2020

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
did he just dox his own 'maxwell photo' or is that some sort of subtle own from the photo editor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/CatholicHerald/status/1283371303492345856

Brendan with his long tradition of defending child rapists again.

Replies are predictable, but impressive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao?

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1283436580489887744?s=20
https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1283437919634698240?s=20

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

Regular or Tropical Skittles?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/mediocredave/status/1283377830810853376?s=21

oh dear

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

and nothing of substance will happen

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
*banging table* FIVE MORE YEARS

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/07/15/sagegate-government-still-chasing-long-term-herd-immunity-for-covid-19/

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Blocking one psychotic tory for another equally psychotic tory feels like opposition for oppositions sake.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1283397488561532928?s=20

lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yup that's how long it will take Covid to wipe out half the population.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Darth Walrus posted:

Replies are predictable, but impressive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ISaysto/status/1283432502833618951

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Studies indicate that only about 5%developed immunity in Spain and that it wore off after a couple months but hey anything else would affect the economy so gently caress it I guess.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

If Labour concedes the case now and apologises, Starmer gets to look like the fresh broom who's cleaning up the party, a line is drawn under it and everyone who matters is happy.

If Labour continue the case and win, well, that's all kinds of awkward.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Necrothatcher posted:

Is it wrong to be hoping The Guardian just loving goes under already?

I feel like as the default 'left' newspaper they suck all the oxygen out of the room with their lovely centrism and ghoulish columnists. Maybe something better would replace it, maybe we'd be better off with literally nothing filling its spot.

I like the crossword :shobon:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

ForkBanger posted:

Regular or Tropical Skittles?

Regular.

Occasionally I will go for Sour.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Studies indicate that only about 5%developed immunity in Spain and that it wore off after a couple months but hey anything else would affect the economy so gently caress it I guess.
The conservatives could continue killing the entire country, reducing the population smaller and smaller until it's just Michael Gove and Boris Johnson, and they'd still both refuse to go out and scavenge for beans because they are management class and therefore their talents are better spent overseeing the proper utilisation of the beans once they finally arrive while trying to set up some kind of elaborate ponzi scheme.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
e:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Failing Grayling continues (although he normally gets the job first).