Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Every company he's licensed out the property to for a game has done mediocre work so I expect much the same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The mistborn videogame wasn't mediocre, it was vaporware

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The art looks cool at least, I kinda want the game just to have the cards.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
In the same vein as the Powder Mage books but with a couple female leads I'd recommend the Shadow Campaigns series by Django Wexler.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If you end up liking Cradle, the somewhat inferior ‘Thousand Li’ series by Tao Wong is a decent not quite bottom of the barrel scrape for a similar feel of books.

But Sanderson is better than Wright by as much as Wright is better than Wong.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's Wight, like a ghost, not Wright.

I actually think Wight is basically as good as Sanderson. He's weaker on some things sure, but his dialogue and humor are wayyy better imo, which makes up for it to me.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

wizzardstaff posted:

Has anyone played the original game that this is adapting? Reviews on BoardGameGeek are not too favorable.

Call to Adventure is not great as a game. It's got a lot of RNG (what cards come out and what your dice rolls turn up) so there's no real way to play optimally other than reacting to the board and maybe hate drafting? The art is great and the storytelling aspect is neat but it's not satisfying like a game with full agency or player interactions. You never feel like you're in control or making meaningful decisions.

I mean I will probably get it because it's stormlight and my wife likes the game. I'm also a huge board game snob so take my minireview with a grain of salt.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Call to Adventure is not great as a game. It's got a lot of RNG (what cards come out and what your dice rolls turn up) so there's no real way to play optimally other than reacting to the board and maybe hate drafting? The art is great and the storytelling aspect is neat but it's not satisfying like a game with full agency or player interactions. You never feel like you're in control or making meaningful decisions.

I mean I will probably get it because it's stormlight and my wife likes the game. I'm also a huge board game snob so take my minireview with a grain of salt.

I am also relatively snobby about board games so thank you for the overview.

e: okay this is pushing me back over the edge:

Daric posted:

The art book for this is incredible. It has a page for all of the races with concept art I haven't seen before and gives brief descriptions of most of the world. It even talks about the Unmade and gives a rundown of each one.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 13, 2020

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I haven't played it yet so I could be totally wrong but games like that are great for getting people into modern boardgaming. They don't get destroyed by a more experienced player metagaming and they realize board games are more than Monopoly and Candyland.

We use Betrayal at House on the Hill for this exact purpose. If you play a lot of board games, it's not one of the best, but if you're new to modern board gaming then it's a great intro.

The art book for this is incredible. It has a page for all of the races with concept art I haven't seen before and gives brief descriptions of most of the world. It even talks about the Unmade and gives a rundown of each one.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cicero posted:

I actually think Wight is basically as good as Sanderson. He's weaker on some things sure, but his dialogue and humor are wayyy better imo, which makes up for it to me.

This got me curious. I'll probably check him out after I'm done with Abercrombie's stuff.

Is the Cradle series finished? He doesn't seem to have a Wikipedia page and I don't want to risk Google leading me to spoilers.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

101 posted:

Is the Cradle series finished?

No. There is at least an 8th book coming.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I seem to remember him saying he's aiming at 12 (number 7 is the latest, 8 is imminent). And that's to wrap up things on Cradle.

He has two other completed series (Elder Empire and Traveller's Gate) that I liked. Cradle is the superior product in my opinion. It gives much more insight into the nature of the multiverse these are all set in.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Daric posted:

I haven't played it yet so I could be totally wrong but games like that are great for getting people into modern boardgaming. They don't get destroyed by a more experienced player metagaming and they realize board games are more than Monopoly and Candyland.

We use Betrayal at House on the Hill for this exact purpose. If you play a lot of board games, it's not one of the best, but if you're new to modern board gaming then it's a great intro.

Absolutely fair. It's in the same pile as settlers of Catan. A little too random for me, but still fun and great as lighter fare or to drag people into the hobby. I brought it to my regular group and the consensus was very mild but positive. Sort of a "yeah that was fine and no one hated it, no one regrets the time spent playing, but no one is wowed or fell in love".

Like we snatched up the name of the wind expansion for call to Adventure at PAX even though my wife didn't read the books. Stormlight CtA will be the same thing: I'll appreciate the art and flavor and she will actually enjoy playing the game!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i read several of those cradle books and they could not possibly be any more repetitive than they already are

it'd be like if each stormlight was 95% focused on figuring out what the next oath is to level up

they're fine pulpy magical martial arts fun, but i kept waiting for there to be more to them and there never was

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 13, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

My mistake, thanks. And I didn’t mean to disparage Wight, he’s just about a 7/10 if Sanderson is an 8/10, and Wong is a 6/10.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

eke out posted:

i read several of those cradle books and they could not possibly be any more repetitive than they already are

it'd be like if each stormlight was 95% focused on figuring out what the next oath is to level up
Yeah they're basically like shonen anime (DBZ/Naruto/Bleach) in spirit, though Cradle's writing is a lot better than those -- admittedly not a high bar at all, was watching Demon Slayer earlier this year and my eye rolling muscles were getting tired.

Anyway, imo if you liked that kind of stuff as a kid you'll probably like Cradle. If you never understood what the fuss was about as a kid, you probably won't like it.

quote:

they're fine pulpy magical martial arts fun, but i kept waiting for there to be more to them and there never was
Sadly, Cradle is one of the strongest, if not the strongest example of the progression fantasy genre. LitRPG's, as well as Xianxia by actual Chinese authors tend to be much, MUCH worse.

Like if you thought Cradle was spending too much time on powering up or gaming the magic system or it was too repetitive, something like Delve or A Will Eternal would probably make your head explode (and those are themselves considered significantly above-average entries in their respective genres).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cicero posted:

Yeah they're basically like shonen anime (DBZ/Naruto/Bleach) in spirit, though Cradle's writing is a lot better than those -- admittedly not a high bar at all, was watching Demon Slayer earlier this year and my eye rolling muscles were getting tired.

Anyway, imo if you liked that kind of stuff as a kid you'll probably like Cradle. If you never understood what the fuss was about as a kid, you probably won't like it.

Sadly, Cradle is one of the strongest, if not the strongest example of the progression fantasy genre. LitRPG's, as well as Xianxia by actual Chinese authors tend to be much, MUCH worse.

Like if you thought Cradle was spending too much time on powering up or gaming the magic system or it was too repetitive, something like Delve or A Will Eternal would probably make your head explode (and those are themselves considered significantly above-average entries in their respective genres).

yeah I knew nothing about the genre, I'd just seen it recommended in (i think) this thread or maybe the stormlight reddit at some point.

cradle's definitely fun and addictive and comparing it to shonen manga seems really apt, i don't mean to poo poo on it or anything, it just is only similar to Sanderson's stuff in some extremely specific ways.

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 13, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's more info about RoW here: https://www.tor.com/2020/07/13/brandon-sanderson-has-finished-the-final-draft-of-rhythm-of-war/

Including this spoilery quote from Brandon:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

There is a character moment that was one of the pillars of my outline from the very beginning. This scene that I was working on. There were only two or three scenes that were core pillars. My beta readers feel like it landed. There won’t be a moment like this again until Book 7 or 8.

They also mention that the word count is about 460k, which is similar to Oathbringer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Suxpool posted:

In the same vein as the Powder Mage books but with a couple female leads I'd recommend the Shadow Campaigns series by Django Wexler.

I'll 2nd this recommendation. Quite enjoyed this series.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sanderson to take break from writing Stormlight by writing three other books: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/hquq36/stormlight_book_four_update_9_final_update/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cicero posted:

Sanderson to take break from writing Stormlight by writing three other books: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/hquq36/stormlight_book_four_update_9_final_update/

Including The Lost Metal! I said this before, but I would have preferred Wax & Wayne 4 over Stormlight 4, but I'm just happy we'll get a conclusion of their story soon-ish.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

gently caress I'm so ready for RoW.

I know by the ends of Bands of Mourning I was really enjoying the book, but Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self definitely aren't my favorite books. I'm on my first re-read of Era 2 right now, almost done with Shadows of Self and I still feel that way. I like Wayne, and Marasi and Steris can be amusing in their own ways, Wax isn't bad but something about the whole series kind of falls flat for me. I don't like that everyone is "just" a Misting or at best a Twinborn, and I've never been a fan of urban fantasy.

drat, didn't realize Skyward was a 4-book series, thought it was just going to be a trilogy. I'll read 3 and 4 but I'd definitely rather he works on something else :) As a metalhead Songs of the Dead really interests me though.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Captain Monkey posted:

But Sanderson is better than Wright by as much as Wright is better than Wong.

Cicero posted:

I'd rank Wight about the same when it comes to coming up with awesome visuals/action sequences (Traveler's Gate spoilers the rain cats in the rain garden dissolving into the frozen horn was a pretty amazing visual) and overall plotting. His world building and magic system engineering is also pretty good but lags Sanderson on sheer scale and depth (then again, unless you're Steven Erikson or Tolkien, you probably aren't going to beat Sanderson at world building).

He's way behind on character arcs or character moments and that's a deliberate choice based on his business model. In his reddit posts, he talks about how Elder Empire is a Cthulhu classic fantasy, Traveler's Gate is a cross between traditional fantasy and a light novel, with Cradle being basically a light novel (progression fantasy). Elder Empire did ok, Traveler's Gate did well and Cradle is the reason he's popular.

eke out posted:

Yeah, this is progression fantasy in a nutshell. The premise of the genre is basically to follow the main character(s) as they power level their way from zero to hero. The draw is in seeing how powerful they eventually become and how they lay waste to everything and everyone (including everyone who has wronged them/legendary enemies). Character development is secondary, if not tertiary or completely nonexistent.

101 posted:

Is the Cradle series finished?

Proteus Jones posted:

I seem to remember him saying he's aiming at 12 (number 7 is the latest, 8 is imminent). And that's to wrap up things on Cradle.

He has two other completed series (Elder Empire and Traveller's Gate) that I liked. Cradle is the superior product in my opinion. It gives much more insight into the nature of the multiverse these are all set in.

Of Wight's books, Cradle has the most polished writing and plotting, Elder Empire has the deepest lore and Traveler's Gate was his first series so it's rougher in comparison but probably has the most well written character arcs. Elder Empire was a writing experiment to write two different sides of the same story (like what L.E. Modesitt Jr did with The Magic Engineer/The White Order & Colors of Chaos in his Recluce books) so it's interesting from that perspective.

Cradle is structured as a set of four trilogies and because he is self published, he strictly sticks to his word count/publishing schedule (twice a year).

Books 1-6 are extremely satisfying to read, Book 7 ended on a divisive cliffhanger that had his fan base rioting, the first draft of Book 8 was just finished last week and will be the middle book of the third trilogy. He writes at a Sanderson like pace, so I'm pretty sure we'll have a new Cradle book every 6 months between now and Book 12.

Sab669 posted:

drat, didn't realize Skyward was a 4-book series, thought it was just going to be a trilogy.

I think it started as a standalone actually, then Sanderson got to the end of the first one and went, let's plot the rest of the series. Then he started on Starsight and realised it was actually 4 books total, not 3. I think he turned in the manuscripts for Skyward and Starsight together, so they could be released in quick succession.

Leng fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 14, 2020

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I need to finish Wax & Wayne and then probably re-read the whole fuckin Stormlight series. I was supposed to read so much other stuff in 2020 but I guess I'll just mainline Sanderson

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

New title for Between-3-and-4 Stormlight novella: Dawnshard. It sounds like if you want to get it as soon as possible, you have to get it in the kickstarter; you'll be able to get it later normally, but it'll be later than for the backers. Mid October release for ebook to backers, everyone else comes later.

Also: holy poo poo 5 million dollars! Have any book-based kickstarters gone higher than that?

edit: nope, the next most funded project in the "Publishing" category is Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls 2, which raised $866,000.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 15, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

He's releasing it this October?

I know he writes fast, but

that reddit post posted:

After that, I'm going to dive into the kickstarter novella, the official title of which I believe we'll be announcing tomorrow.

Sounds like he hasn't even started it to me?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That's no problem for Branderson, he once knocked out the rough draft of a novella on a particularly long flight.

And it's just the ebook in October, so he doesn't need the buffer time involved with printing and shipping.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

New title for Between-3-and-4 Stormlight novella: Dawnshard. It sounds like if you want to get it as soon as possible, you have to get it in the kickstarter; you'll be able to get it later normally, but it'll be later than for the backers. Mid October release for ebook to backers, everyone else comes later.

Dawnshard!! Even better than Wandersail as a title. I'm assuming it's still the Rysn novella. So is that confirmation that one of the Dawnshards is located in Aimia?!?!

Also those coins in the Kickstarter are really cool and I totally want the Lightweaver one but it doesn't seem like you can pledge for that independently of the physical books.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leng posted:

Dawnshard!! Even better than Wandersail as a title. I'm assuming it's still the Rysn novella. So is that confirmation that one of the Dawnshards is located in Aimia?!?!

Also those coins in the Kickstarter are really cool and I totally want the Lightweaver one but it doesn't seem like you can pledge for that independently of the physical books.

I think there's an option to get stuff parceled out as add-ons when the kickstarter is over if you like, donate $1 or something, I don't really understand it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, usually those Stretch Goal things are often available as extras you can add on to your backing. I'm no Kickstarter expert but the few products I have backed have always handled it that way, anyways.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Man, now that book 4 is coming out soon-ish, I should start a re-read. I haven't read Way of Kings in years, and only read 2 and 3 one time each. Looking forward to jumping back in.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Hello, I'm Brandon Sanderson. I just finished the final draft of my 450k word epic fantasy novel -- only the 4th of a 10 book series -- and between now and the time that it will release, I will write a novella set in the same universe that will come out a month before the book. I will then write 3 more books in the next year and a half before starting on the 5th novel. I also teach a creative writing class at BYU and have a weekly podcast where I claim each episode is only 15 minutes but in reality they're all about twice that. I don't sleep. I don't eat. I don't partake in earthly delights. I am the beginning and the end. Before me there was nothing. After me, the world will suffocate under the weight of my works.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

I don't partake in earthly delights.
Pretty sure he gets to open a pack of Magic cards every time he hits another milestone. Pure hedonism.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sab669 posted:

He's releasing it this October?

I know he writes fast, but

Sounds like he hasn't even started it to me?

Daric posted:

Hello, I'm Brandon Sanderson. I just finished the final draft of my 450k word epic fantasy novel -- only the 4th of a 10 book series -- and between now and the time that it will release, I will write a novella set in the same universe that will come out a month before the book.

I was browsing through the new WoBs that have been added to Arcanum and there's been a lot since he's been doing signing livestreams. He did actually talk about this one:

Arcanum posted:

Badger1289

When will the Wandersail ebook come out?

Brandon Sanderson

Ballpark is October. In a perfect world, here is my process:

Write it mid-july to mid-august. Beta read late august. Revisions early October. Copyedit done mid october, to get to people a month before the new book.

That's my goal, at least. Things can always slide--and I'll try to be up-front about that, if it happens.

Note that I've been toying with a variety of different names. Wandersail might not be the best title, since that's the ship name--but it's not doing anything that has to do with the Wit story from book one. So I might call it something else, to prevent confusion.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/406/#e13838

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Man is an absolute machine.

If nothing else this year, having 2 books to look forward to is still pretty sweet.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I listen to the podcast he does, Writing Excuses, and I listened to an episode yesterday about Agent Queries. At one point he goes "I hate querying, I don't even do it anymore." And everyone else in the group goes "Yeah, Brandon, but you're a household name. If you wrote something on a cocktail napkin, they'd publish it."

Even if you're not a writer (I personally am working on a novel) I would suggest listening to a few of the episodes. He's really good about explaining his thought processes and how he gets things done. It's very interesting.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it always cracks me up to think about how i started listening to some writing excuses because of howard tayler and only later went 'well this sanderson guy's pretty sharp what's he about'

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Speaking of Will Wight, he's making the entire Elder Empire dual trilogy free for a few days, starting tomorrow: https://www.facebook.com/willwightauthor/photos/a.220166148165870/1527203304128808/

The structure of this series is unusual, the gimmick is that it's two trilogies told from opposing sides, where each pair of books is happening at the same time. So the first ones are Of Sea & Shadow/Of Shadow & Sea.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Work has started on the second Stormlight novella:

Arcanum posted:

Brandon Sanderson

I will start writing [Dawnshard] on Monday. I'm almost through with my revision of Songs of the Dead. Takes a lot less time for me to do a revision on that, because basically instead of fixing problems, because I'm co-authoring with Peter Orullian, I get to say, "This is working. Maybe change this to be like this." And give Peter the chance to make the changes. The book is looking really good, this last revision.

I thought a lot about the title for this one, because I wanted to fit with the other two: Edgedancer, and Horneater (which I will write). So I was thinking I need some sort of classic Brandon mashup word. For a while, I was thinking of calling it Wandersail, because Rysn's ship is the Wandersail, but I thought that would be duplicitous because the story has nothing to do with the story Wandersail, from Hoid's stories. And in fact, I'm more and more thinking that I want to do some picture book versions of Hoid's stories that would make nice read-alouds, and I would call one of those Wandersail. So I'm like, this is just a bad title for this book.

So, I thought I would dig into instead one of the things that we were talking about in the book, which is the Dawnshards. So, it is named Dawnshard. For those who are deep lore cosmerenauts and are wondering about the Dawnshards, we are going to talk about them in this novella. So, yes, we will be going to Aimia.

Right now, Rysn, probably Lopen as a secondary viewpoint character is my guess. But I haven't written it yet, so I have to see how the viewpoints work out.

YouTube Livestream 12 (July 16, 2020)
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/430/#e13974

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sanderson posted:

For those who are deep lore cosmerenauts and are wondering about the Dawnshards, we are going to talk about them in this novella. So, yes, we will be going to Aimia.

I am so hyped for this. I've always found the Aimians very interesting, but on my most recent reread - where I already know most of the main story - I've really tuned in to what little we know about the Aimians so far and it's one of the things I'm most eager to learn more about.