Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/DSW74859954/status/1283288238593945600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

I literally don't remember what the characters looked like or anything else about the show, just that the robots had really weirdly wide legs.

The landmates in Appleseed have thicc thighs

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

did Korone discover how to do the jumping glory kills in Doom?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

That's the one! Thanks!

I dunno if you can identify the other on comparatively little info, that being "women who pilot mecha, the mecha have gigantic thighs"

Bubblegum Crisis

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Sakurazuka posted:

Bubblegum Crisis

This is the OVA that opened the anime floodgates for me about 2-3 years ago. Before that it was just DBZ at one point and that's about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sinky posted:

The landmates in Appleseed have thicc thighs

Sakurazuka posted:

Bubblegum Crisis
unfortunately neither of those are them, they were big ol' building-sized mecha with huge rounded thighs, not power armor like those. I feel like there was a lot of grey in their design, maybe? sorry, it's been literal decades since I watched it the one time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
googling "mecha big thighs" has been very unhelpful so far

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Could be Brain Powerd? Might be a bit late though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
OR NOT, I saw a gundam wing suit in the results, and remembered they're called Mobile Dolls, and then remembered the anime had Doll in the name, it was POWER DOLLS!

yep, them's some gigantic thighs alright

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

First anime I watched was 20+ years ago, early seasons of Ranma 1/2, rented Viz vhs cassettes from a local comic book shop with my friend who introduced me to it. I was 15 (playing a lot of psx jrpgs at the time, too) and thought the animation quality, whimsy, and earnest 'feelings' were really refreshing at the time because I was so downtrodden. I went down the rabbit hole from there renting just about every anime series cassette in the store. I pretty much overdosed on everything, and by 2002 I was completely done with anime, jrpgs, etc, and wouldn't revisit any of that stuff for like 15 years. The last series I watched before that big break was the entirety of Kimagure Orange Road and it ended up leaving a profound impression on me right as I was going into college.

I recently revisited jrpgs, manga, and anime in general in the last 3 years (due to my nieces who love Ranma) and the Kimagure anime/manga specifically very recently just for my own sake, watched the entire series and it's still my absolute favorite. I may be a washed-up jobless x-ennial locked in a quarantine...but that show just makes me f~e~e~l . a~l~i~v~e .

I've been meaning to read KOR for a long time. I'm just not a huge manga reader but I don't really have a choice since I can't follow subs or understand Japanese. It does look really sweet. I'm a Rumiko Takahashi fan and first had it pitched to me by a fellow Takahashi fan as it was apparently in competition with Maison Ikkoku at one point.

It's heartwarming if a bit strange that one of Shounen Jump's biggest selling tiles ever is a romance.

Anyway, I started with Pokemon like everybody my age. Then I moved onto DBZ, again pretty normal. But they were so heavily Americanized that I really don't count them as my first anime. No, it was Inuyasha and Xenosaga Episode 1 that got me really into Japanese culture and media. I love them both to this day.

On the topic of classics though, I don't understand the appeal of Tenchi Muyo or Slayers, both of which I watched after protracted recommendations and discussion on internet forums. This was so long ago I was talking to somebody on AIM about Inuyasha not even being finished yet and he told me all about TM's supplementary information. That supplemental info was basically the only stuff people talked about with me going into the OVAs. Apparently the guy who wrote it had all the deeplore planned out for this fascinating scifi universe with this complex cosmology and the villain from the first OVA was a hermaphrodite and that was the girl Tenchi saw at the end of OVA3. None of this poo poo is really explained anywhere in the show which is just a painfully generic harem series with a protagonist who has all the charisma of old socks. But he gets all the girls and is also God. I don't know how a writer does this. Did he secretly want to write a good series with interesting ideas but couldn't get that funded so he churned out this romcom crap and had to settle for writing a fascinating backstory for all the romcom?

I liked Z, i guess. Even then he was barely in OVA3.

But yeah, Slayers, Tenchi, Vnadread, Haruhi - the most notable series I watched once and never again. Well, Vandread was kinda notable at one point, I don't think anybody remembers it anymore,

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I grew up watching Goldorak Grendizer, Albator Harlock, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon, not to mention stuff like Ulysses 31 or Mysterious Cities of Gold being local co-productions (or other European co-productions like Calimero). None of that stuff was ever recognised as "anime," it was just part of the undifferentiated mass of "cartoons."

Then anime moved off public channels at the end of the 90s, so other than watching Pokémon on UK satellite on Saturday mornings, that was it until the mid-00s when French satellite channels started picking up "mature" anime like Evangelion, Escaflowne, Stand Alone Complex or Ergo Proxy.

Then I was on a university connection that blocked torrenting and didn't have a TV, so I stopped watching anything until I got into seasonal shows 7 or 8 years ago.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 15, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Had never heard of KOR until just now but those gifs look cute and I want to go read/watch it now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Had never heard of KOR until just now but those gifs look cute and I want to go read/watch it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI56z5C2elc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wId7utadqgk

the music for the anime was all really good. It was done by the Evangelion/Bleach guy. I bought the OSTs to listen to while reading the manga.

The mangaka passed away a year or two ago now, sadly. He had a really nasty disease.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Albator Harlock
I will never not be fascinated by France being a hotbed of Leiji Matsumoto fans because they got both Harlock series aired on TV. Albator 84 has an extremely infectious opening too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also, caught up on Nagatoro. Still kinda dislike the first handful of chapters but it grew on me pretty quick as it went on.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

drat, thick :eyepop:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
My first anime technically were stuff like Pokemon, Digimon and Naruto but I wasn't super into them. My brother was though and I guess it's thanks to him that those weird Japanese cartoons stayed in my mind so I could get into them years later. My first "official" anime, i.e. the one I went and serached online for because I heard my friends talking about it, was uh... Fairy Tail in 2010? I guess this is why I followed this series until the end despite how lovely it was.

And I remember distinctly the moment when I learned what manga is. It was summer camp, I was 11, and one girl in my room was reading this fancy black-and-white comic from right to left. I don't remember the title but it was a shojo manga about uhhhh... incest romance?? Oh, and incidentally when my brother who was also on this camp hugged me once (it was a scout camp and I got like an awesome badge or sth and he was congratulating me) this girl would get all weird about it, telling me we can't hug because it's creepy, lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the power dolls games have good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqF2QpGYHo

the devs of them also made a couple yuri atelier-ish management games and nowadays they pretty much only make yuri vns lol

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Colonel posted:

the power dolls games have good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqF2QpGYHo

the devs of them also made a couple yuri atelier-ish management games and nowadays they pretty much only make yuri vns lol

do you know if the show is any good?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RottenK posted:

drat, thick :eyepop:
I mean. wouldn't YOU remember those thunder thighs?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean. wouldn't YOU remember those thunder thighs?

they're pretty memorable

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1283404407007305728?s=20

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

everythingWasBees posted:

do you know if the show is any good?

it's an old video game ova so the odds are uh. against it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
however the ova for aoi umi no tristia is surprisingly good

https://files.catbox.moe/mqkwkk.mp4

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

NikkolasKing posted:

But yeah, Slayers, Tenchi, Vnadread, Haruhi - the most notable series I watched once and never again. Well, Vandread was kinda notable at one point, I don't think anybody remembers it anymore,

I loved Haruhi's first season but the second season made me swear off anything Haruhi-related.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not a fan of the endless eight huh

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not watching shoushitsu is just owning yourself, though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the haruhi movie is the best thing to come out of the entire series

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also the tristia ova ed is cool

https://files.catbox.moe/ecpl5s.mp4

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I loved Haruhi's first season but the second season made me swear off anything Haruhi-related.

Endless Eight is the greatest troll in modern anime history. You can't hate on Haruhi S2 too much. Plus, the movie is phenomenal.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They should have cast epcar as zenigata

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Endless Eight is the greatest troll in modern anime history. You can't hate on Haruhi S2 too much. Plus, the movie is phenomenal.

well they got me good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stairmaster posted:

They should have cast epcar as zenigata

He was Zenigata in Fujiko and it was weird because he was using the exact same voice he usually uses for Jigen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

the haruhi movie is the best thing to come out of the entire series
The soccer fail and the smash-cut to Kyon sulking afterward was perfect.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still never seen the Haruhi movie

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's like 2 1/2 hours long...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

Still never seen the Haruhi

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the movie is the payoff for making it through the series

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I think I saw one or two episodes of Haruhi, and didn't get what the big deal was.

Endless Eight was pretty loving hilarious though, if only because it's just a season of poo poo posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Willo567 posted:

I think I saw one or two episodes of Haruhi, and didn't get what the big deal was.

It was one of those "you had to have been there" things.