Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

RBA Starblade posted:

The ghost in Halo 2 can be immediately blown up if you shoot the fusion core underneath the driver's left foot, it's suicide to be in it lol

I think that’s also the only game where it does it’s delayed explosion after it blows up the first time, posing quite a hazard on tank levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

If you think the banshee levels are bad wait until you try legendary on the space combat level in Reach. Enemy fighters can take you out in < 2 seconds, they know how to lead aim and compensate for speed boosting and trick moves, and you have to fight like a dozen at a time. Only way I was finally able to pull it off was by flying tight circles behind pieces of space debris / the enemy capital ship to use as some semblance of cover and hope that only 1 enemy fighter decides to engage me on that side at a time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

If you think the banshee levels are bad wait until you try legendary on the space combat level in Reach. Enemy fighters can take you out in < 2 seconds, they know how to lead aim and compensate for speed boosting and trick moves, and you have to fight like a dozen at a time. Only way I was finally able to pull it off was by flying tight circles behind pieces of space debris / the enemy capital ship to use as some semblance of cover and hope that only 1 enemy fighter decides to engage me on that side at a time.

when you're attacking the enemy ship, if you boost to it's bottom right away, you can catch all the banshees still docked and take them all out instantly

however all the seraphs are still a pain, and this doesn't really help for the station defense. but yeah you can hide behind debris or the station or your corvette in the last bit for some cover

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Looks like the update came out early. 343 responding to question about if its intentional on Reddit with "🤔"

edit: the season unlock system is being updated and is unavailable, but that part should go live tomorrow apparently.

Okan170 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 14, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

downloading the update now. is the loving sound fixed?????????? did they really do it????????????

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:toot:

:tootzzz:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Farm Frenzy posted:

downloading the update now. is the loving sound fixed?????????? did they really do it????????????

The Changelog posted:

Audio has been updated with Waves integration, aligning closer to Xbox 360 quality.

Changelog
Known Issues

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The audio in reach is fixed.

Was the audio distortion when using the cloak always in the game?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was the audio distortion when using the cloak always in the game?

For Reach? Yeah, that's intentional.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

holy poo poo it only took them seven months after the release but they did it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont remember the lip sync in Halo 3 being this rough. I wonder if its a result of the shift to 60fps.

Also Nathan Fillion is all over this game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dont remember the lip sync in Halo 3 being this rough. I wonder if its a result of the shift to 60fps.

Also Nathan Fillion is all over this game.
A lot of the face stuff in Halo 3 has aged pretty poorly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Beyond the facial animations and 2007 shadow rendering, the game is still really pretty. And it plays really well too, but I chalk that up to the level design playing much better with the movement than Halo 2's cramped sections and Halo CE being way too open at times. I ran through Sierra 117 and it hits that sweet spot where its open but not too open and you also don't run the risk of getting stuck on geometry that got me killed so many times in halo 2.

And Johnson remains badass and strong enough to hold his arm steady when a one tonne space marine uses him as a brace to haul himself to his feet.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Yeah I forgot how good Halo 3 was because I mostly remembered the plot and writing being rubbish. I still hate the Cortana telepathy too much to really love Sierra-117 but the big final section where you rescue Johnson at the dam was just so well designed. Something about how you get to see the lay of the fortified position you're assaulting like reconning a base in MGSV is just really satisfying.

I really love Crow's Nest though, the way it's this lived-in setting that you criss-cross defensively putting out fires rather than going linearly forwards was fun. The Ark is pretty fantastic.

I could do with about one less scarab battle and "Cortana" can die in a fire.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

man it's been more than half of my life since halo 3 came out and I still remember the mp maps like it was yesterday. hope the player count sticks for this one, i know a few of my friends only bought reach and were waiting for 3 since that's the only one they really cared about

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like some new stuff (and some old, oooold stuff) got snuck into the Halo 2 files in the Halo 3 patch? Wonder what that's about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsAV1p_yXYo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does this have a custom server browser yet? I read they were adding that at some point, and I loved Halo for the custom games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Boba Pearl posted:

Does this have a custom server browser yet? I read they were adding that at some point, and I loved Halo for the custom games.
Latest dev update lists a custom game browser as "in design iteration", which I guess means they're figuring out how they're gonna do it before they put fingers to keyboard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My only real gripe at this point with MCC is I keep seeing the same five-six maps in each game. Halo 2 had like forty by the end didn't it?

The Kins posted:

A lot of the face stuff in Halo 3 has aged pretty poorly.

I've never been able to figure out if they were trying to model Hood after Ron Perlman or if the face just sort of ended up like that

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

My only real gripe at this point with MCC is I keep seeing the same five-six maps in each game. Halo 2 had like forty by the end didn't it?

I've never been able to figure out if they were trying to model Hood after Ron Perlman or if the face just sort of ended up like that

I think they did try to model i after Ron Perlman. In my opinion, the Halo 2 A rendering looks like Ron Perlman if you made him a space captain.

It's just the Halo 3 game engine facial rendering is not good lol.

Anyway I'm stoked as gently caress to re-play this tonight. The Halo 3 campaign is my favorite of the series.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh man loving hype zone here.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

God, walking into the infested Covenant ship at the end of Floodgate only to get hit with 'Infinite Devil Machine' is still such a good moment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The fight on the Ark where they play the remix of Under Cover of Night spliced with In Amber Clad is so good.

Not sure if the music is as good as the Halo 2 or ODST scores, but the instrumentation going for a full orchestra really gives the redone tracks some punch. Certainly more care put in than the Anniversary soundtracks that end up drowning out the melodies with super heavy brass and percussion.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

For anyone looking for some of your old favorite custom games, this spreadsheet had a good amount. Just use the Find A Player function in game to search for the gamertag and check their file share.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BX6V17ZWzqI2elsQurQ9XjFQa4tI8S9sUZfqb9NEEb8/edit#gid=1260675830

Some dorks on Reddit are also working on making a couple gamertags with filled up file shares to serve as libraries of them. If anyone wants to play some customs my Steam friend code is 68783707, or if you only have the Microsoft Store version (lmao @ you) my gamertag is vomitkittens

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Something that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that I didn't expect and is super nice - all the halo 3 cosmetics are unlocked by default.

As someone who barely made it three pages through reach's unlock system that feels like a breath of fresh air. (I should note that at the very least you don't need to unlock everything sequentially on reach anymore though).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I spent forever unlocking the security armor in 3 because it kept bugging out and locking it again. It's finally mine lol

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since the Reach audio fix is out, I'm going to restart my campaign playthrough. Is Reach->Halo 1 the best way to go story-wise if I've never played the campaigns/owned an Xbox before?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

chaosapiant posted:

Since the Reach audio fix is out, I'm going to restart my campaign playthrough. Is Reach->Halo 1 the best way to go story-wise if I've never played the campaigns/owned an Xbox before?

End on Reach, storywise it's a sequel but it's essentially Bungie's sendoff for the series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Start with Combat Evolved. It throws you into the world immediately and strikes a good chord by telling you the minimum amount you need to know to get going. It'sa lot more minimalist with its storytelling and I think that works to its benefit for easing new players into the universe. Reach is a lot more reliant on knowing expanded universe materials from the books, otherwise a lot of the stuff regarding the Spartan IIIs can be tricky to follow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reach is a lot more reliant on knowing expanded universe materials from the books, otherwise a lot of the stuff regarding the Spartan IIIs can be tricky to follow.

I don't think that's true at all. I never read a single Halo book, all you really need to know is they're the shittier knockoff mister chiefs and the planet they're on is hosed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think that's true at all. I never read a single Halo book, all you really need to know is they're the shittier knockoff mister chiefs and the planet they're on is hosed.

I dunno, I feel that Reach expects you to know more going into the game than CE. Given that it was the final Bungie title it wasn't designed as an introduction to the franchise, and the writing reflects that. I guess you don't need to read Ghosts of Onyx to accept spartan IIIs, but having a working knowledge of the setting makes Halsey's attitude towards them versus her attitude to Jorge more understandable.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I dunno Jorge is everyone's fave

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I never had a problem understanding the broad strokes of Reach and I never read the books. If anything, seeing things I might not have fully understood the context for made me interested in learning more later. Reach's plot isn't that complicated.

That said, it's going to be much more impactful if you've played the other games first. Definitely recommend saving it for last.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, what's the verdict on the quality of the Halo 3 port? Any significant fixes for previous games, beyond just the Reach audio bug?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched Halo Canon's breakdown of the Battle of Reach and all I can say is that it is confusing as hell trying to square away the events of Halo Reach with all the other material on the battle. It works but it's veering into Star Wars EU levels of minutiae to make everything line up.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I see that the grunts in 3 no longer train at the imperial stormtrooper academy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They really like throwing grenades when the Brutes tell them to.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Roluth posted:

So, what's the verdict on the quality of the Halo 3 port? Any significant fixes for previous games, beyond just the Reach audio bug?
Halo 3 seems to be in pretty good nick port-wise, with the exception of the hitreg issues introduced in the Xbox One version. They know what the cause is, but it's buried deep within Bungie's old netcode so it's gonna take a minute to fix.

As for other games, the Plasma Pistol charge sound bug in Halo 1 was fixed, and Halo 2 received various bug fixes, the most important of which being enemy Elites once again being allowed to dual-wield.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Reach actually completely ignores the Halo books lol. You absolutely do not need to read any of the books to play the game / understand the plot.

Like the Battle of Reach as presented in the game is wildly different than how it went down in the book Fall of Reach.

I liked the way the battle went down in the book better :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Reach actually completely ignores the Halo books lol. You absolutely do not need to read any of the books to play the game / understand the plot.

Like the Battle of Reach as presented in the game is wildly different than how it went down in the book Fall of Reach.

I liked the way the battle went down in the book better :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8d4z5Zg_Bc

The way they get around most of the contradictions is through a communications blackout as stipulated by Winter Contingency protocols. The insane compartmentalized organization the UNSC and ONI use to prevent information leaks to the Covenant means that the northern continent of Reach was under siege for nearly a month before the Operation Red Flag Spartans were redeployed in the final hours of the battle. Given that the Covenant usually only landed troops when they were securing anti orbital defenses or pursuing forerunner artifacts (as is the case in Halo Reach), the battke would have been over way sooner if they were just going on a glassing run.

A planet-wide comms blackout with most of the armed forces unaware of a massive invasion happening under their noses makes the defense of Reach look like an operational disaster. The games might show the humans as strong underdogs but the books make them and especially ONI into self defeating morons who throw away dozens of Spartan IIs in a single day or get 300+ Spartan IIIs killed in suicide missions.