Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Uhh this is probably a dumb question, but for the whole "fully painted and based" criteria what about the clear plastic flying bases? For example, the ones used for tau drones. Do you have to paint those too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Spanish Manlove posted:

Uhh this is probably a dumb question, but for the whole "fully painted and based" criteria what about the clear plastic flying bases? For example, the ones used for tau drones. Do you have to paint those too?

Good question. I don't think you have to but many choose to.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

no

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

RagnarokAngel posted:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Cool, I didn't think so but I don't really have experience playing against random people as back when I played way long ago during 7th I played against my friends who got me into the game. I don't know how pedantic clubs/tournaments would be about stuff like that.

I'm hoping that by the time everything opens back up I'll have my tau ready for some games at the GW store nearby and FLGS as well, but given that florida is the laughing stock of epidemiological responses I'm going to have a lot more time. It'll be kinda funny if my first game in years is a fully painted 2000pt list

Gunder
May 22, 2003

In my short amount of experience playing with randoms, prepare for maximum pedantry and minimum generosity of spirit.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

Obviously tournaments can set their own rules but generally no, because the idea behind the plastic black bases is that it represents the area in which the model is standing, the clear plastic bases basically don't exist, which is why they are clear. You can paint them if you want though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gunder posted:

In my short amount of experience playing with randoms, prepare for maximum pedantry and minimum generosity of spirit.

People have warned me that because I'm playing Tau it's gonna raise the salt floor a lot, so uh yeah i'm at least a little prepared for pedantry and douchbaggery

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
GW themselves used to keep the bases clear (but maybe not in all cases?) but that's changed recently; all of the Tau and Dark Eldar images I could find on their site had painted/based flying stands, but the Craftworld Eldar models are mostly still clear.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
anyway. eventually all your drone stems will snap off inside the model and become permanently stuck

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I am pumped for Indominus, i have not built a model since my Knight at the start of lockdown and i am craving the smell of plastic and adhesive

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

People have warned me that because I'm playing Tau it's gonna raise the salt floor a lot, so uh yeah i'm at least a little prepared for pedantry and douchbaggery

I mean in my experience play random people your army doesn't change whether they are an arsehole or not. The only thing that may piss people off is if you don't talk before the game about what type of game you're playing and you plonk down 3 riptides and 40 drones or whatever the best Ta'u list is these days and they have a fun list and you just stomp them. This can be avoided by just being like "Hey, what army are you bringing? I don't want to tailor my list or anything, just to avoid me bringing a crazy list if you're bringing something more casual". This is what I used to do and if someone was new or juust bringing something a bit fun I'd use it as an excuse to break out units that I never get a chance to play with competitively because they are a bit shite. For my Guard that would be Ogryns or Conscripts with Send in the Next Wave! (when it was free) etc.

fashionly snort posted:

anyway. eventually all your drone stems will snap off inside the model and become permanently stuck

This guy telling the hard truths.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

is there such thing as 40k shotguns?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

notaspy posted:

Space marine scouts and a handful of guard have em iirc

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fashionly snort posted:

I'm not going to glue the drones to the flying stand :twisted:

(this really just makes moving them slightly more tedious as i have to grasp the shaft instead of the model)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

notaspy posted:

Scouts have shotguns, they are effectively a 12" assault 2 boltgun that gets +1 strength within 6"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

notaspy posted:

Tau breachers have one, which is thematic and cool as being a cqc oriented unit.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Deathwatch has one too. I gave a biker one even though its not a great weapon because I needed my Arnie T2 fix.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GSC also have a bunch of them as well.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

They're also all over Necromunda and are pretty killer. Anyone have any insight on the whole "there are options for your FLGS to get the made to order Indomitus?" Like is this going to be an ongoing thing, a second wave, etc?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure the only way to get a second wave is via the made to order option on the webstore. Don't think they mentioned anything about stores getting a second batch or anything.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure the only way to get a second wave is via the made to order option on the webstore. Don't think they mentioned anything about stores getting a second batch or anything.

From their Twitter:

"Heya, we're also contacting local stores with some options on how they can get more copies to their customers."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Spanish Manlove posted:

(this really just makes moving them slightly more tedious as i have to grasp the shaft instead of the model)

Warhammer 40,000: Grasp the Shaft Instead of the Model.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

GSC also have a bunch of them as well.

Jackals especially dig them with that like one good Strategem out of The Greater Good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

From their Twitter:

"Heya, we're also contacting local stores with some options on how they can get more copies to their customers."

I stand corrected then. I admittedly don't keep track of twitter replies in this case.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I like the cult neophyte with old timey side-by-side double barreled sawed-off. That guy is ready to do some poo poo for the cult.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

I stand corrected then. I admittedly don't keep track of twitter replies in this case.

Wayland in the UK are taking pre-orders for it already, not seen any elsewhere yet

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cooked Auto posted:

I don't usually either, but I was intrigued about that one since my LGS started taking preorders like the day the box was announced and then had their order cut from 120 to 45. I didn't realize they were taking POs so early. And like, as a White Scars player, I NEED those bikes and chainswordy dudes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I'd be lying if I didn't say I want at least one of the bikes to paint. Would even consider painting it as a White Scar since painting a normal Intercessor as a WS would be really boring.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I'd be lying if I didn't say I want at least one of the bikes to paint. Would even consider painting it as a White Scar since painting a normal Intercessor as a WS would be really boring.

It's pretty cool, actually! Really helped me up my white game, and leaves a lot of room to do jaggy freehands and such. I should probably stop being so self conscious about my models and post them one of these days.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dumb question but are small marines still on 25mm bases? Got bunch of old power squatters to do at some point.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No they're on 32mm as well now. They look a lot better for it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only thing in my army with 25mm bases are my scouts which I used those little circular base extenders to bulk out and my Sanguinor who is also my only non-plastic model

Is there a good resource for finding out what year specific models came out? seems theres plenty wikis covering lore and tabletop rules but not actual physical release information

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Some smolmarine characters still came on 28mm bases at least until fairly recently and honestly its weird how much better they look on 32s.

edit: actually thinking about it there are a bunch of marines that still come on 28s like the Command Squad boxes.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 15, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cheers. :)

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only thing in my army with 25mm bases are my scouts which I used those little circular base extenders to bulk out and my Sanguinor who is also my only non-plastic model

Is there a good resource for finding out what year specific models came out? seems theres plenty wikis covering lore and tabletop rules but not actual physical release information

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/ has a lot of info on older metal models including release date.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

how many melee weapons come in a chaos space marines box? anyone know? I was considering making my second unit of berserkers out of them and I want double melee weapons for each guy except for the Icon of Wrath

edit: I just checked out the sprues on the GW site and it seems like there are five, but I could probably cut off the pistols from the five pistol arms and add melee weapons there

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 16, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Omar al-Bishie posted:

how many melee weapons come in a chaos space marines box? anyone know? I was considering making my second unit of berserkers out of them and I want double melee weapons for each guy except for the Icon of Wrath

edit: I just checked out the sprues on the GW site and it seems like there are five, but I could probably cut off the pistols from the five pistol arms and add melee weapons there

Looking at the sprues on the website -- one power fist, one power maul, one dagger, one power axe, and seven chainswords. And every single one of them is left-handed.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah, the usual when it comes to 40k models and melee weapons then. :v:

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Stephenls posted:

Looking at the sprues on the website -- one power fist, one power maul, one dagger, one power axe, and seven chainswords. And every single one of them is left-handed.

Thank you for the info. It'll be interesting having two very different looking units of berserkers if I go with the standard chaos marine kit as my second squad after going with the blood warriors for my first.

I'm not sure I like the leather boots for the blood warriors as space marines but I don't want to order legs separately and I couldn't find any that seemed like they would fit the blood warrior torso on 3D printing sites

e: legal files, of course. I don't use problematic copyright files, mostly because I can't rely on them to stay up and be reusable BUT ALSO BECAUSE THEFT IS WRONG

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I've been doing some painting for the last few weeks:
Captain:

Lieutenant:

Judiciar:

Eradicator Squad: