Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Captain Magic posted:

Anyway I watched Upgrade. This was the first movie I’ve watched all the way through in one sitting in a long time. It was real good. Cheeky shithead from Prometheus gets a super-chip inserted in his spine that makes him stand up real fast; he uses this to kill bad men with gun arms.

What amazes me most about the movie is how awesome it looks for its budget. The same director did The Invisible Man which also looked fantastic for its budget and was creepy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

yea ok posted:

it's normally shown in either 1 go or in 3 parts, but even if you watch it in 12 parts it kicks major rear end. a brighter summer day is so good, like all ed yang movies that i've seen. any other comments i could make? probably

e; lol https://letterboxd.com/japey/films/diary/by/longest/

Your favorite Kurosawa, please

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

idk. high & low maybe or seven samurai or yojimbo or throne of blood but not ikiru

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

You're a villain

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

stinkyru

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oh aye my stomach hurts time to go on a swing *BLLSOSHHH shotgun noise* gently caress off

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It Chapter 2 is one of the most baffling movies I've seen in years because it has all the talent to be good, and then it's just this pointless mess that you can't even blame on studio interference.

Palm Springs is great though everyone should check that out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It Chapter 2 is one of the most baffling movies I've seen in years because it has all the talent to be good, and then it's just this pointless mess that you can't even blame on studio interference.

Palm Springs is great though everyone should check that out.

Hader was really good in it, but Hader is absurdly talented

He could have been good in like, Slam Dunk Ernest and I wouldn't be surprised.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Honestly I'd rather watch Bill Hader doing a Jim Varney gimmick than whatever Zack Galifinakis bullshit he was doing in It 2

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

yea ok posted:

oh aye my stomach hurts time to go on a swing *BLLSOSHHH shotgun noise* gently caress off

I respect your opinion but you have also broken my heart

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I liked when they humiliated the clown but wish they had left in the deleted scene where pennywise paid for it through bev's onlyfans for additional context

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Dangerous Person posted:

I respect your opinion but you have also broken my heart

:razzy: nah it's a great movie

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i can't find joe pera season 1. Oh it was on the website for the tv station.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

yea ok posted:

:razzy: nah it's a great movie

Too late. For revenge I'm gonna say something mean about High & Low whenever it shows up in my mail

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

they named it that because it has a high price and low quality

got em

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i feel like i'm a front-facing 2D sprite and my upper half is leaning forward too much on its own without me being able to do anything about it because i'm not "actually" leaning forward, just my perception is. it's causing me vertigo even while sitting down or doing anything, like i'm trying hard to not fold in half or roll up from the top-down.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

they named it that because it has a high price and low quality

got em

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Akira Kurosawa's Hi and Lois

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Akira Kurasawa's The Fast And The Furious

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Looks like Ghost of Tsushima is gonna be my jam for a minute. I am all about open-world level-up a person games.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Captain Magic posted:

Looks like Ghost of Tsushima is gonna be my jam for a minute. I am all about open-world level-up a person games.

Is the expectation that it will be similar to Nioh, difficulty wise?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If it's a Souls-like with a Nioh difficulty level that's gonna be a hard pass from me.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is the expectation that it will be similar to Nioh, difficulty wise?

Early reviews have said that it's not Soulslike at all in difficulty so if you want to be punished jack the difficulty up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It has pretty much nothing in common with any of the souls games, the boogyman of gaming.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

It has pretty much nothing in common with any of the souls games, the boogyman of gaming.

I get that loads of people like them (enough to spawn a whole subgenre of games anyway) but nothing about those games is anything I'm looking for in a video game.

If Ghosts has more of a casual difficulty level I'd definitely give it a shot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I get that loads of people like them (enough to spawn a whole subgenre of games anyway) but nothing about those games is anything I'm looking for in a video game.

They're definitely in my "more fun for me to watch someone else play than to actually play it" category

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It looks fun. Along with cowboy games, I also enjoy samurai games, so I might consider playing this.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

If Ghosts has more of a casual difficulty level I'd definitely give it a shot.

Yeah, I'm just taken by how many people I've seen worried it's a souls like when they've shown nothing souls like, never said it was, and appears to have the common elements of "swords".

It is however really similar to the modern AC games/Far Cry/Batman action games/every other action game with a big open map and a mix of stealth/combat. The combat looks a lot closer to the AC/Batman games.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Right now I am bored as hell waiting for Ghosts of Tsumshima to come out. I've reached a point in Outward where I need help from another player to do what I want to do*. Also I am super frustrated with Outward now so I don't know if I even care anymore.
(*You don't need another player to advance in the game in any way. This is something different).

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I want the vampire game to come out now, on ps5, and I also want to have a ps5

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I heard that game is about running around slashing your sword at ghosts who can't do anything to you and you gain 10 levels and 1,000 gold every time you swing your daikatana. daikatana means table sword. Your sword is made out of a table that your dad tripped and fell onto and died. It's really easy to beat the game

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I'm just taken by how many people I've seen worried it's a souls like when they've shown nothing souls like, never said it was, and appears to have the common elements of "swords".

It is however really similar to the modern AC games/Far Cry/Batman action games/every other action game with a big open map and a mix of stealth/combat. The combat looks a lot closer to the AC/Batman games.

It's more that the Souls model seems like a general trend, and is seemingly so popular that a lot of big budget games lean on it as a way to extend the life of their title.

At the same time, I don't really follow games media very closely. I'm pretty much the definition of a casual gamer who, more often than not, just wants something I can pick up and play for a couple hours and then forget about it until next time. The more story I can get through in that time, the better. If that couple hours is spent on playing the same sequence dozens of times I'm probably not going to play that game again.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

God I wish that was true. I love the genre but there is like a very tiny handful of games that actually get what makes the Souls games and the style work. Another like 5 games are ok but miss why the genre works. And then I guess some people just make bad games but tell you "it's a souls-like" to try to tell you that is why it's lovely and bad.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tsushima looks very much like Assassins Creed but Japan, to me

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah 'souls-like' is awful for everyone really. Code Vein and all those games are unsatisfying dog poopie. i had hopes for mortal shell but it's bad just like all the rest.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
In this last year I've heard people describe Kingdom Hearts, Assassin's Creed, God of War(2018), loving SPYRO and all kinds of poo poo as Souls-like, I think those games have just gotten so popular that people are confusing anything with a third person camera and any kind of combat for one of those.

The confusion with this one seems to also be brought on by FROMsoft's most recent game being Sekiro, a game entirely set in fictional/feudal Japan, and Ghosts of Tsushima also being a game set in fictional(?)/fuedal Japan, I don't think they even showed any gameplay until really recently, it was all cinematic trailers.

Also, this:

jesus WEP posted:

Tsushima looks very much like Assassins Creed but Japan, to me

Most importantly, I'm here to tell you that along with Ghosts of Tsushima, July 17th is the release date for the new Paper Mario game, which I hear will be very good.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm also being overly defensive of the souls games and I'm super cool that people don't like them. Nothing is made for everyone. I just get defensive because I've weirdly been given some mean poo poo for liking them, pretty much that enjoying them is ableism because of how difficult they are and that the games have lovely accessibility options. (They do have awful accessibility and I wish they'd have better ones.) But I've also beaten all of them while being disabled, specifically with my hands and my motor control. So it's something I'm proud of.

But anyone can like anything, if you don't like the games you don't like that's cool and not liking something doesn't mean you're saying poo poo about me.

The new paper mario also looks really good and will probably be very easy and I'm going to love it. I hope, this new combat stuff looks a lot better than the past few tries.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like a bunch of companies trying to make the next Souls is why nothing like Dragon's Dogma has come out since Dragon's Dogma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Brut posted:

The confusion with this one seems to also be brought on by FROMsoft's most recent game being Sekiro, a game entirely set in fictional/feudal Japan, and Ghosts of Tsushima also being a game set in fictional(?)/fuedal Japan, I don't think they even showed any gameplay until really recently, it was all cinematic trailers.

This is it exactly. I'm an idiot and didn't realize that these were two different games.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm also being overly defensive of the souls games and I'm super cool that people don't like them. Nothing is made for everyone. I just get defensive because I've weirdly been given some mean poo poo for liking them, pretty much that enjoying them is ableism because of how difficult they are and that the games have lovely accessibility options. (They do have awful accessibility and I wish they'd have better ones.) But I've also beaten all of them while being disabled, specifically with my hands and my motor control. So it's something I'm proud of.

Oh I'm completely the opposite. I respect the hell out of people that can play those games, especially if they can play them well. What CJ2 said about them being more fun to watch than play (for me) is pretty accurate. I think they really lend themselves to that Lets Play/Twitch culture because they really show off the player's skill set. Just personally prefer something that's like Streets of Rage 4 where there's not such a huge barrier to entry. An 'easy to play, hard to master' kinda vibe where you can pick it up and bust some cops heads for a while but also get super deep with it if you want.