Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

If you don't understand how mods work though, Baby's First Space Race or FTB Academy are probably better places to start though because Blightfall throws you into the deep end as soon as you land. That said, if you like a challenge go ahead haha, but you're gonna have no idea what's going on.

Also as far as I know, Mojang has never actually stopped hosting every single version of Minecraft ever released (except maybe snapshots) so your pack launcher of choice (Technic, Twitch, GDLauncher, MultiMC - GDLauncher being the recommended one but you'll need Technic for Blightfall) will literally download everything you need to play whatever pack you have it install.

Mojang is however beginning to phase out old versions of minecraft. If you Try to run ye olde Yog Box which has thaumcraft 1 or 2, I don't know, you can install and run the game but there will be no sound or music because mojang made the sounds for that version unavailable for download, you will have to get your sounds and music elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Uh, why does GDLauncher ask for your mojang login? It should not need to do that.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

Uh, why does GDLauncher ask for your mojang login? It should not need to do that.

Since it launches the game directly, yes it does, so it can check to see if you've bought the game or not.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Does half-decent documentation for the “Better With Renewables” section of Better With Addons exist anywhere? That specific section of the in-game documentation is incomplete, the config has extremely vague descriptions of everything, and the forum thread for the original BTW version of BWR is purposely vague because “discovery is half the fun” or some poo poo.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
oh my look at the time, it is modder being dumb and petty o'clock. Thread on reddit about drama with the Corail Tombstone Mod. Unlike Plustic it looks like the modder for Corail just took his ball and went home. If CurseForge wasn't just bought out I'm sure adding code that intentionally crashes if it detects another mod is probably not something they'd like.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

runchild posted:

Does half-decent documentation for the “Better With Renewables” section of Better With Addons exist anywhere? That specific section of the in-game documentation is incomplete, the config has extremely vague descriptions of everything, and the forum thread for the original BTW version of BWR is purposely vague because “discovery is half the fun” or some poo poo.

Anyone who does a fan port of a BTW addon is probably not going to bother with documentation.

runchild
May 26, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

Anyone who does a fan port of a BTW addon is probably not going to bother with documentation.

That doesn’t seem to be true, BWA adds a whole section to the BWM in-game manual that provides decent documentation for some modules, and the config and github wiki clarify most of the rest. But for some reason the skyblock/renewables section is incomplete. There’s an index for it, but none of the pages have content.

runchild
May 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuHG5ja3ig

The BWM discord pointed me to this video, it clears up most of my questions.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So, a lot is made about not having a hoe in the first age of sevtech, and how you'll have to trade for farmland (I know that's not true, but the quest tricks a lot of people into not noticing there's just a recipe for it) but I just learned that you can just throw seeds on top of wet mud and they'll just grow. I had a full inventory and tossed some wheat seeds and when I came back there was just wheat growing there.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Anybody know of a way to see all items that can’t be crafted? Mod-supplied crafting methods included. Basically anything that won’t show something when you left-click it in JEI.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
So Mekanism v10 (for 1.16.1) was just released and it has changed one of the things I didn't like about the previous versions. You can finally do both input and output from the same side. Also it added a RS/AE2 style item storage, but no crafting grid or autocrafting.

Now to wait 4 years for there to be big modpacks for 1.16.

Edit: I do wonder if the Osmium Compressor is no longer wasting osmium ingots if you put in multiple ingots when enriching glowstone or obsidian.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 10, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It would be nice if they released v10 for 1.15 as well.

Who am I kidding, I've been playing Mekanism packs for 7 years I'll probably download Enigmatica 6 once it's approved and play with v10 mek.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
ME^5 feels pretty good so far. Being able to turn keepinventory on removes a lot of the frustration that might result from the harder combat parts(like the fast-exploding creeper spawners while you're fighting over void). You can also turn the difficulty down which is probably a good idea since it seems pretty difficult to get a decent set of armor.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

McFrugal posted:

ME^5 feels pretty good so far. Being able to turn keepinventory on removes a lot of the frustration that might result from the harder combat parts(like the fast-exploding creeper spawners while you're fighting over void). You can also turn the difficulty down which is probably a good idea since it seems pretty difficult to get a decent set of armor.

i played a bit of it and i can really feel the "balanced for multiple players" part, the combat is a lot to push against solo even on easy.

i'm gonna give it some time to get some more patches in and bully my friend who did sevtech with me into checking it out

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
A silver sword helps a lot if you can get the part from a tier 2 tinker loot box. For me the hardest part was the room full of mushroom skeletons, which you could probably cheese with water florbs.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Anyone have personal favourite Skyblock packs they want to sell me on, maybe with accompanying caveats? I'm looking to host a server for a few friends and want something with some meat to it but without being too overwhelming. I enjoyed SkyFactory 4 but I'm only on the brink of understanding Applied Energistics myself, let alone being able to explain it to anyone, and the prestige system and high-tier prestige unlocks are a bit too insane to deal with.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I despise the fact that there is now an API split and another holy war seems to be on the horizon

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Danny Glands posted:

I despise the fact that there is now an API split and another holy war seems to be on the horizon
Fabric and Forge? Or are you talking about something else?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Anyone have personal favourite Skyblock packs they want to sell me on, maybe with accompanying caveats? I'm looking to host a server for a few friends and want something with some meat to it but without being too overwhelming. I enjoyed SkyFactory 4 but I'm only on the brink of understanding Applied Energistics myself, let alone being able to explain it to anyone, and the prestige system and high-tier prestige unlocks are a bit too insane to deal with.

My favorite recent Skyblock is Ultimate Alchemy.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Khorne posted:

Fabric and Forge? Or are you talking about something else?

Yes, the Fabric/Forge split, knowing that it's impossible to run both at the same time.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Danny Glands posted:

Yes, the Fabric/Forge split, knowing that it's impossible to run both at the same time.

Forge has the institutional inertia, but Fabric has some new, cool performance-enhancing mods that slap the poo poo out of Optifine...

Hard to say which will win, or if they'll both end up with healthy ecosystems.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Wow. EnderIO Omnivoirs are loving terrible. Low capacity, incredibly slow fluid output, probably laggy as hell since it constantly levels out fluids.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Wow. EnderIO Omnivoirs are loving terrible. Low capacity, incredibly slow fluid output, probably laggy as hell since it constantly levels out fluids.

For EnderIO itself they’re not that bad, but they’re definitely not my first choice in modpacks. Especially ones that have either cooking for blockheads (sink) or nuclearcraft.

Does EnderIO itself use water in large amounts?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Maguoob posted:

For EnderIO itself they’re not that bad, but they’re definitely not my first choice in modpacks. Especially ones that have either cooking for blockheads (sink) or nuclearcraft.

Does EnderIO itself use water in large amounts?

You're thinking of the Reservoir, which is useful enough for generating water. Omnivoirs are just fluid containers. They don't produce infinite anything.
edit: okay the Reservoir is now called the Endervoir.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 16, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

McFrugal posted:

You're thinking of the Reservoir, which is useful enough for generating water. Omnivoirs are just fluid containers. They don't produce infinite anything.
edit: okay the Reservoir is now called the Endervoir.

but when do they implement the Gardevoirs

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

dragonshardz posted:

Forge has the institutional inertia, but Fabric has some new, cool performance-enhancing mods that slap the poo poo out of Optifine...

Hard to say which will win, or if they'll both end up with healthy ecosystems.

Major modpacks will create their own abstraction layers to work between the two systems and add yet another layer of core junk you have to install to use everything.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Some friends spun up a vanilla 1.15.2 server. What can I mod on locally for quality of life? I've already got optifine and Xaero's maps, but I'm particularly looking for
a) inventory sorters
b) light level checkers

EDIT: I should note I have Forge installed

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 17, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Major modpacks will create their own abstraction layers to work between the two systems and add yet another layer of core junk you have to install to use everything.

I...sincerely doubt this will happen, because Forge and Fabric are architecturally incompatible. They both hook into and/or modify base classes of the game and cannot coexist.

It's possible that someone will create a Fabric compatibility layer for Forge, or vice-versa, but again unlikely.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

dragonshardz posted:

I...sincerely doubt this will happen, because Forge and Fabric are architecturally incompatible. They both hook into and/or modify base classes of the game and cannot coexist.

It's possible that someone will create a Fabric compatibility layer for Forge, or vice-versa, but again unlikely.

Aren't there already major mods using various abstractions in common libraries to support multiple major versions of Forge simultaneously?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Aren't there already major mods using various abstractions in common libraries to support multiple major versions of Forge simultaneously?

...I have no idea. By major versions, you mean Forge for 1.12.2 and 1.15, right?

Generally even the mods that have required libraries still have specific versions of the mob and libraries for each version of Minecraft and the associated major revision to Forge.

Forge and Fabric are, currently, and it looks like architecturally, mutually exclusive. Some mods have both Fabric and Forge versions, but you can't run Forge and Fabric simultaneously in the same instance of Minecraft.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

dragonshardz posted:

Forge and Fabric are, currently, and it looks like architecturally, mutually exclusive. Some mods have both Fabric and Forge versions, but you can't run Forge and Fabric simultaneously in the same instance of Minecraft.
Running fabric on forge is mutually exclusive, but the opposite isn't. Forge or forge mods could theoretically be ported to work with fabric.

I'm on team forge pretty firmly. Fabric seems to be nice for one-off type stuff and having a lower barrier of entry, but the cost of that is taking a few steps backward when it comes to more complex mod interactions.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 17, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So Material Energy. I played 3 and loved it, I bounced hard off 4 a number of times, and 5 was very excellent. I agree that as a solo player, 5's combat got to be a bit much about 2/3 of the way through. I really liked the way you had to make do with whatever tinker parts came out of the loot crates instead of instantly making the optimal weapon. The worst part was one area that just forced you to grind materials to progress, but it only took a couple hours and that's because I just let it run with my garbage machines instead of expanding operations to speed it up. I cheated with creative/spectator once or twice, especially near the end when I was expected to mine materials in a huge room with rapidly spawning skeletons (with the spawner encased in reinforced obsidian). The room would fill with 15-20 skeletons shooting rapid fire flame arrows that killed me in 3-4 hits with full armor. The obvious, painful solution would have been to build forward to the spawner an eventually disable it, but it got a gently caress-it-peaceful from me. A couple of the other final areas were just overtuned combat slogs so they got skipped as well.

Make sure you do the quests in order because I broke progression at least twice and had to use edit mode to fix it. Once in the third zone I killed a quest mob before the quest was open and it wouldn't complete, and in the final set of zones I grabbed the quest item before completing the pre-requisite quests. Then I accidentally completed ALL quests because I'm not familiar with the ftbquests and that broke the final boss encounter, so I had to go down into the command block section of the map and fix that (the quests spawns a redstone block next to a command block that spawns the boss, but it couldn't spawn because it already placed the block before I had put the spatial disk in).

The areas were beautifully sculpted and interesting, the production quests were a healthy mix of reasonable and optional, and the pack kept it pretty fresh the whole way through. Not perfect but highly excellent. Going to play it again with my wife because she digs exploration packs and hand-crafted stuff is always the best.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

No. That existed very briefly between 1.10 and 1.11 with a compat mod made by Mcjty (rftools dev) but it never caught on. No notable mods besides his own ever used it, and it only worked because the changes between 1.10 and 1.11 were tiny. A similar compat layer wasn't made for any other versions.

Re: fabric/Forge, I've never used fabric but developers say that there is no limitations to what it can do compared to Forge. The primary difference is that Forge provides a ton of preexisting hooks into the base source code to facilitate common functionality, but makes it difficult to add new ones, while fabric adds almost no basic hooks like that but allows them to be easily created by mod devs. In theory this makes fabric potentially even more open-ended than Forge, but likely slower to initially develop for. Updating between versions (for both fabric itself and fabric mods) should be much faster than with Forge though. Guess we'll see how things play out in the next year or so.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So is there a current way to skip adfoc.us? All the information is years out of date/dead or "install a browser extension" and I want the latest forge.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Carecat posted:

So is there a current way to skip adfoc.us? All the information is years out of date/dead or "install a browser extension" and I want the latest forge.

Install it through one of the launchers like GDLauncher or MultiMC.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Thanks, MultiMC works real nicely.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

At one point I was using a modpack that had a completely loving absurd modular inventory extender. I think it was Ender-themed, and for some pretty costly materials you could slot expansion chips into it and add on extra side panels, multiple pages of inventory to toggle through, and increase maximum stack sizes exponentially to where you could fit probably a quarter million cobblestone on a single tile. I think the item itself was called something like "handy pack" but I can't for the life of me remember the mod name or anything that's yielding search results. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

E: Found my old save. Handy Bag; Ender Utilities. Nevermind!

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 20, 2020

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That sounds fairly similar to /dank/null (I know) which is a solid backpack-ish mod. Mostly good for holding near-infinite amounts of mined materials rather tools and such.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I keep having issues with danknulls just...eating my items? Like I could go on a nice mining trip, see that I got a bunch of cobble/coal/lapis/whatever and when I try to empty it the slots just become empty and maybe I can get stuff out manually or not. Anyone knows whats up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Xun posted:

I keep having issues with danknulls just...eating my items? Like I could go on a nice mining trip, see that I got a bunch of cobble/coal/lapis/whatever and when I try to empty it the slots just become empty and maybe I can get stuff out manually or not. Anyone knows whats up with that?

Is it up to date? I know previous version of dank null had issues with items vanishing, but it should have been fixed in more recent ones. If it is updated, I guess check the bug reports to see if anyone else has reported it?