Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

FBS posted:

here's a rant: it's too loving hot out

I'm glad wearing a full face helmet still makes me uncomfortable when it's 100 degrees outside, otherwise I'd be wearing the "forbidden gear" more often (boat shoes, shorts, t-shirt, maybe a mesh jacket, maybe not) rather than just taking the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My mesh jacket feels so niiiiiice though

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If it's a decent mesh jacket with hard parts on the impact area it"s fine, just know you're gonna pick up a lot of incidental road rash if you go down.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Even in a mesh jacket and short gloves and riding jeans it's too hot.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My A* Viper Air still feels pretty warm in the summer. I guess it's not when you're moving, but I'll get stuck at lights and just start roasting.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is any kind of motorcycle-specific base layer under the jacket, I've just been wearing fairly thick cotton t-shirts tucked into my jeans and they don't seem to flow much air under the jacket. Is the polyester/spandex stuff any better for that?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I wear a synthetic wicking t-shirt when it's super hot and it feels better, yeah. Cotton sucks when its wet.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

The only thing I haven't tried yet is any kind of motorcycle-specific base layer under the jacket, I've just been wearing fairly thick cotton t-shirts tucked into my jeans and they don't seem to flow much air under the jacket. Is the polyester/spandex stuff any better for that?

Doesn't need to be motorcycle specific; any sort of wicking polyester/polypropylene base layer will help keep you cooler. Under Armour HeatGear stuff is inexpensive and works just fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I keep forgetting to buy a neck tube to soak before hot weather rides :(

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I keep forgetting to buy a neck tube to soak before hot weather rides :(

they don't work if it's humid, you just end up with a hot wet rag on your neck

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Four years ago my 690 Duke grenaded its engine on the Paris ring; two days ago the same happened to my 701, 5km from the previous spot. Long story short, no more motorcycle trip to the Pyrenees for me, back to Holland by train. I find Japanese bikes extremely boring and lame but I'm ready for one now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well you have a point. Never knowing if you’ll make it home or not IS exciting in certain ways

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

High Protein posted:

Four years ago my 690 Duke grenaded its engine on the Paris ring; two days ago the same happened to my 701, 5km from the previous spot. Long story short, no more motorcycle trip to the Pyrenees for me, back to Holland by train. I find Japanese bikes extremely boring and lame but I'm ready for one now.

Did the 701 last longer (more km)? Will your insurance pay to get the bike back to Holland, or are you just selling it to a wrecker there in France?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Did the 701 last longer (more km)? Will your insurance pay to get the bike back to Holland, or are you just selling it to a wrecker there in France?

Insurance will get it back to Holland and I have extended warranty, which is still good this year. 27000Kms, which is a lot for this type of bike (but of course not in general). My Duke grenaded itself at 15k, this bike never had anything major, but did have annoyances such as oil leaks and brake rotors warping.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My FE came with a small, but super irritating factory oil leak, from around the oil fill cap of all places, just enough to make the clutch cover gross and oily.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Since I have a tendency to like motorcycles based only on how they look and what they sound like and also never doing or planning on doing any of my own maintenance, I can say that the Benelli 752 looks and sounds so good that I don't care it's heavy and not as "MARIO 64 WAHOOO HERE WE GO" as the MT07 or SV650, I want one in green:

The reviews seem to comparte it unfavorably against the MT 07, but I don't care much about weight or dragging pegs or wheelies, I want want a cruiser that sounds and looks good. It's got good hardware with Marzocchi forks and Brembo stuff so, How bad can it be? it's not "HERE WE GO IT'S SO LIGHT I LOVE THE MT07 I LIVE IN JOURNALIST LAND" and like Boris says: "weight is a sign of reliable, if it doesn't work you can always hit them with it".

I wish more Benelli stuff was avaliable in America. Anyways... Glad I got that off my chest.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Reliability is a myth, fight me DR400 nerds:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's a funny looking cruiser.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mulligan posted:

Since I have a tendency to like motorcycles based only on how they look and what they sound like and also never doing or planning on doing any of my own maintenance, I can say that the Benelli 752 looks and sounds so good that I don't care it's heavy and not as "MARIO 64 WAHOOO HERE WE GO" as the MT07 or SV650, I want one in green:

The reviews seem to comparte it unfavorably against the MT 07, but I don't care much about weight or dragging pegs or wheelies, I want want a cruiser that sounds and looks good. It's got good hardware with Marzocchi forks and Brembo stuff so, How bad can it be? it's not "HERE WE GO IT'S SO LIGHT I LOVE THE MT07 I LIVE IN JOURNALIST LAND" and like Boris says: "weight is a sign of reliable, if it doesn't work you can always hit them with it".

I wish more Benelli stuff was avaliable in America. Anyways... Glad I got that off my chest.

1. Not a cruiser

2. Made with a mixture of malice and incompetence

3. They are sold brand new here and parts are still not a thing

4. The MT07 is a perfect little jewel and only comparable to that pile on paper

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Like, if you're into it get a Ducati scrambler or monster if you want the Italian experience with at least half a chance of having stuff available when you need something fixed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

1. Not a cruiser

2. Made with a mixture of malice and incompetence

3. They are sold brand new here and parts are still not a thing

4. The MT07 is a perfect little jewel and only comparable to that pile on paper

Don't get a Benelli, they don't even look better than a Yamaha, what the gently caress.

And they're objectively worse in Every. Single. Way.

Like, get a Ducati or a KTM if you want a unique cruiser standard naked bike with reliability issues, at least you can fix those.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that a parallel twin?

:chloe:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you're going to buy a Chinese bike just buy an SSR or CSC and plan to sell it for scrap when it eventually self destructs. Don't pay extra for a formerly-Italian nameplate.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
When I started reading that post I thought you were talking about a moto guzzi and I was gonna be like "eh whatever you got a point that it looks and sounds good".

But a ptwin benelli?! That looks like that?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah if you want a p-twin middleweight naked standard, how do you look at that thing and buy anything other than an ER6N?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Benelli conference room: “what if we took the excellent styling of the Suzuki Gladius and mated it to the most exciting engine yet created: the middleweight parallel twin”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Benelli conference room: “what if we took the excellent styling of the Suzuki Gladius and mated it to the most exciting engine yet created: the middleweight parallel twin”

Built with traditional Italian methods by the finest motorcycle constructors in the world: zongshen, of course.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Well this isn’t called the good opinion and sane comments thread. I wanted to experience this moment of madness and I honestly believe this bike looks good, sounds good and I would own one for the glorious 6 months it would work right.

Fight me in your one piece aerostich nerds

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

mulligan posted:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the exhaust note of my MT07 as I'm doing a sick wheelie away

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Carteret posted:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the exhaust note of my MT07 as I'm doing a sick wheelie away

The Benelli is 270 crank... :agesilaus:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mulligan posted:

Well this isn’t called the good opinion and sane comments thread. I wanted to experience this moment of madness and I honestly believe this bike looks good, sounds good and I would own one for the glorious 6 months it would work right.

I mean, hell yeah if you've got money to burn. Buy it, ride it, sell it on for 1/3 of what you paid once you've got it out of your system. Or keep it and just be That Guy with the weird sino-italian bike that's always waiting for parts, no, I've never seen it either.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

mulligan posted:

The MT07 always has been. Your point?

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Jazzzzz posted:

The MT07 always has been. Your point?

The Mt 07 is 10 times the better bike yet I still don't lust for it like this Chinese Italian bike and Im not sure why, I just wanted to vent my bad opinions here so they don't leak into the world.

All kidding aside, I like new Benelli, cheap beautiful sounding bikes are kinda my kriptonite.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mulligan posted:

The Mt 07 is 10 times the better bike yet I still don't lust for it like this Chinese Italian bike and Im not sure why, I just wanted to vent my bad opinions here so they don't leak into the world.

All kidding aside, I like new Benelli, cheap beautiful sounding bikes are kinda my kriptonite.

I rode a big benelli triple once, a TnT or whichever with the big stupid PC fans on the arse. I wanted it to be as cool and exciting as it looked and if it was I might have considered even buying it, since the price was very good at the time. But I rode it and thankfully it was so not as cool or exciting as it looked at all. That said if you ride one and still love it and it's not going to be your only or main bike that you have to rely on to get you to work, and you can afford it, why not get one and indulge your deviant desires?

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 16, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does this Benelli have any relation to the shotgun manufacturer? I have to assume so, but I don't see the logical connection

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mulligan posted:

Initially at least.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

MomJeans420 posted:

Does this Benelli have any relation to the shotgun manufacturer? I have to assume so, but I don't see the logical connection

I think it's kinda like an old Husqvarna gun and a new Husqvarna tractor from like home depot

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Started as the same company and split apart, just like Enfield and BSA who were both also arms manufacturers who turned to making bikes because having experience with bits of metal with stuff exploding in them is fairly useful to making bikes.

Not entirely sure what this says about Ducati, who started off making electronics components and now make switching gear and transformers for power grids.

It's actually really common, the only 100% bike manufacturers I can think of that's not two blokes in a shed are KTM and Triumph (and even they started off making cars) - Kawasaki make ships, Yamaha make musical instruments, Honda, Suzuki and BMW make cars, Piaggio and Agusta make planes and helicopters, etc etc - in almost all cases the bike bit of the company was someone working there just going "I need a cheap way to get to work, I'll make a scooter, hey maybe we can sell them"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Started as the same company and split apart, just like Enfield and BSA who were both also arms manufacturers who turned to making bikes because having experience with bits of metal with stuff exploding in them is fairly useful to making bikes.

Not entirely sure what this says about Ducati, who started off making electronics components and now make switching gear and transformers for power grids.

It's actually really common, the only 100% bike manufacturers I can think of that's not two blokes in a shed are KTM and Triumph (and even they started off making cars) - Kawasaki make ships, Yamaha make musical instruments, Honda, Suzuki and BMW make cars, Piaggio and Agusta make planes and helicopters, etc etc - in almost all cases the bike bit of the company was someone working there just going "I need a cheap way to get to work, I'll make a scooter, hey maybe we can sell them"

In the case of Honda though, they started out with motorcycles then added cars and lawnmowers and eventually a jet.
Also you kind of forgot Harley Davidson, although I suppose you could argue they're also an apparel company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Triumph also made cars once upon a time, and although they don't anymore they are now owned by BMW.

Also in the course of checking this I found out they were founded by a German, which is beautifully ironic given they're one of the most well known British brands.