Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/UtahYang/status/1283258680608034817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1283260628036128768

In one extremely small bit of good news, the Bexar County GOP voted out the batshit crazy chairwoman (y'all remember, the COVID conspiracy theorist with the husband who was kicked out of the Army for sexual assault and indecent exposure towards minors, including her own daughter) and will return to being chaired by a generic chamber of commerce-type Republican.

e: Also, this seems like a step in the right direction
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1283376080397762561

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 15, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wonder if the 2016 number didn't confirm that theory!

noncompetitive primary yadda yadda at least say that in the tweet imo

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

i say swears online posted:

i wonder if the 2016 number didn't confirm that theory!

noncompetitive primary yadda yadda at least say that in the tweet imo

My guess as to his reason for omitting 2016 was that there was no senate or gubernatorial race that year, so the only statewide races were the unsexy ones. But yeah, he probably should've explained that.

(Incidentally, TX SOS website shows turnout in the 2016 Dem runoff was 186,912.)

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1283378181819465730

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hegar has done nothing but spout slogans. So disappointing.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Hegar has done nothing but spout slogans. So disappointing.

I wish she'd just stick to generic slogans, that'd be an improvement. Get a load of her whining response last night to questions about her benefitting from the national Dems going all-in on her over West:
https://twitter.com/JTiloveTX/status/1283239005832839169
I enjoyed this bit from the Texas Tribune's article on her victory (which also gives context to the above quote):

Texas Tribune posted:

"In reality — and without the special effects — her candidacy isn't very impressive," Cornyn spokesperson Travis Considine said in a statement. "She would not have won the runoff in Texas were it not for the support of national Democrats like Elizabeth Warren and Chuck Schumer, to whom she is now indebted."
He's arguing in bad faith, of course, but he's still correct.

e: I'm far more excited to vote for Wendy Davis than I am to vote for troop motorcycle mom. (I am not excited to vote for Wendy Davis.)

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 15, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
she's literally a Cornyn donor (using the weak excuse of 'uh I had to to talk to him' when called out) with no policy agenda other than 'working mom, veteran, orange man bad'. She's going to be another useless centrist rubber stamp if she wins, but she won't so I guess it's moot and it'll be funny to force Cornyn to spend money for once

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Yeah, there's a lot of national politicians I respect who I end up not liking their endorsements and wishing they'd stay out of our races.

Like, Cornyn's staffer had a point on the impact of those national endorsements, but I remember he also noted that Texas Democratic leaders endorsed West. It's a bad look.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Dems were hoping Hagar would be another fundraising sacrificial lamb like McGrath in Kentucky but all they seem to be getting is the sacrifice

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Thinking on it some more, she definitely has a certain... palinesque quality to her, although somewhat more informed.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Got a fun one over in the TX-23 Republican primary to replace Will Hurd: the Trump-endorsed candidate is declaring victory with a lead of seven (7) votes, while his opponent insists that he will be saved by mail-in ballots.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if Warren endorsed West he would have won true/false

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Even with just all the succ in austin yeah probably if she had done it early enough.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

this would have shown he was snake trash though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/aliyyaswaby/status/1283463207009624064?s=21

!!!

https://twitter.com/ChronJacob/status/1283464055328509952

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 15, 2020

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
Well, looks like I'm running a fever with my wife and kid in the house with me.

If I die of the 'roni the I want everyone to know that British chili succkkkssss.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Would love to get a leaked audio recording of one of the many three-way screaming matches that must've been happening in the last week or two between the governor's office, TEA, and various school district superintendents

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Disnesquick posted:

Well, looks like I'm running a fever with my wife and kid in the house with me.

If I die of the 'roni the I want everyone to know that British chili succkkkssss.

That's called curry.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because we fund our schools based on actual attendance and not like target attendance, parents who are justifiably afraid to send their kids to school will also be directly costing their district funds. Waiving that requirement in some way is the only possible solution. Especially since they passed that huge ed reform/spending bill last year.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1283487244435820546

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

https://twitter.com/AllenBlakemore/status/1283493433437491202
:thunk:

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 15, 2020

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1283164212852817926

Is that the first marker down on distance learning for all, or did I miss DISD doing it.

Hidalgo county just announced yesterday that no on-campus instruction will occur until after September 27th at minimum. Cameron County issued a similar order with September 8th as the start date.

In other news, we had over 30 deaths yesterday and there was an article about the mortuaries being unable to keep up.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
Because of COVID, my Austin employer just sent out an email saying that our hourly wages would be cut down to 75% until "leadership and Board of Directors feel comfortable returning to normal operations." We're still expected to work the same amount of hours, but with reduced compensation. Fuuuck. I don't think I can even survive off this.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Chorrax posted:

Because of COVID, my Austin employer just sent out an email saying that our hourly wages would be cut down to 75% until "leadership and Board of Directors feel comfortable returning to normal operations." We're still expected to work the same amount of hours, but with reduced compensation. Fuuuck. I don't think I can even survive off this.

Its amazing just how transparent businesses have been through this

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Chorrax posted:

I had the same thing happen to me back in late april. My wife got cut by 10% as well in may. It really sucks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My company just discontinued their salary matching. But not conveniently when the suits were still collecting monster paychecks while we were still furloughed.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My company did everyone not in management above $x/year gets a 10% cut. Management up to CEO gets graduated cuts with C levels taking 50%.

It sucked but was better than taking a furlough which at one point was 98% of the company.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Dell (so like a sizeable chunk of North Austin/Round Rock) scrapped raises and promotions for the year, and also yanked 401k matching. Haven't heard of any layoffs yet, maybe b/c everyone still needs laptops to WFH or something, I dunno.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

she's literally a Cornyn donor (using the weak excuse of 'uh I had to to talk to him' when called out) with no policy agenda other than 'working mom, veteran, orange man bad'. She's going to be another useless centrist rubber stamp if she wins, but she won't so I guess it's moot and it'll be funny to force Cornyn to spend money for once
Hegar is just about everything about the national-level, professional-class Democratic Party types that I loathe wrapped up in a single politician: the chauvinistic military pandering that tries to out-macho and out-jingo the Republicans, the focus on wave-riding and constructing these empty cults of personality, the focus on style over substance, etc. etc. etc. I could go on. I don't know much about West but I'll take a machine politician who is rooted in a constituency and has labor union support over that. At least maybe you'll get something out of it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mitsuo posted:

Dell (so like a sizeable chunk of North Austin/Round Rock) scrapped raises and promotions for the year, and also yanked 401k matching. Haven't heard of any layoffs yet, maybe b/c everyone still needs laptops to WFH or something, I dunno.

Yep. Dell sold more computers this year than last year (First two quarters of the year saw growth). https://www.storagereview.com/news/worldwide-pc-shipments-growing-despite-covid-19

Cutting benefits is B.S.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

The university I work for cut 10% of jobs, and cancelled raises for the year. The guy who hired me was among the cut, big F to a real one there.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Remember when that dude came to the TEXAS thread and tried to tell us when and what we can jack off to?

Fucker doesn't understand liberty.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Hegar is just about everything about the national-level, professional-class Democratic Party types that I loathe wrapped up in a single politician: the chauvinistic military pandering that tries to out-macho and out-jingo the Republicans, the focus on wave-riding and constructing these empty cults of personality, the focus on style over substance, etc. etc. etc. I could go on. I don't know much about West but I'll take a machine politician who is rooted in a constituency and has labor union support over that. At least maybe you'll get something out of it.

That's basically where I was at. I don't have particularly strong feelings about West, but he seemed like he at least had a reason to be there. Hegar is everything you described for sure. Just an empty vessel shouting vet mom motorcycle into the void. I loathe her. But I'll still vote for her to get rid of Cornyn.

Anyone heard anything about third parties on the ballot in the fall? Curious if I'll be able to vote for Howie or not.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Remember when that dude came to the TEXAS thread and tried to tell us when and what we can jack off to?

Fucker doesn't understand liberty.

If you don't jack off the concept of Texas can you even really say you are from here?

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I heard in passing of Austin issuing new guidelines for construction today. Something about staggered shifts and no more than X amount of workers present. I haven’t found anything regarding it online. I’m sure I’ll hear of it in the morning from one of my bosses or some GC rep. I’m also sure that somehow a loophole will be found and nothing will change.

Fuckin’ get my money fam. I’m ready to be off.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pobrecito posted:

That's basically where I was at. I don't have particularly strong feelings about West, but he seemed like he at least had a reason to be there. Hegar is everything you described for sure. Just an empty vessel shouting vet mom motorcycle into the void. I loathe her. But I'll still vote for her to get rid of Cornyn.
I hadn't really thought about this connection before but I think it really is tied up in #BlueWave thinking.

You know, you build up a lot of popular, personality-driven momentum to dazzle people and then sweep the polls. I don't really have a solution to it, but I think there are some problems with it, probably a lot of problems, one being that a "wave" can recede just as fast. And it leads to a superficial kind of politics that ends up getting intensely focused on the edge in the balance of power, where I'd prefer some quiet, unassuming ministers who spend their time engaging in long-range planning. What's also interesting... Biden is very popular with Democrats who engage in this kind of thinking, but his campaign doesn't seem like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems like he's running to be a quiet administrator. Like, well, Royce West. I'm out on the left politically but seeing Biden's campaign, it's like... well, the way he is putting himself out there is probably a huge relief compared to Beto winning the nomination and jumping on tables.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 16, 2020

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
This is a tinfoil hat post, but my wife says she heard from a friend of a friend that Abbott is supposedly going to announce a full Texas shutdown either tomorrow or Friday. The friend of a friend is allegedly on the Texas COVID panel that regularly communicates with Abbott so it could be legit....or maybe it’s just a “my uncle works at Nintendo” situation.

Just thought I’d pass it along.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't surprise me.

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1283531261408088066

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah now that the primaries are over

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

As long the rumor is a full shutdown like at the beginning and not the same rumors before that they heard from their dad's best mans pool guy that the National Guard was going to enforce a full on Martial Law shutdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Xarthor posted:

This is a tinfoil hat post, but my wife says she heard from a friend of a friend that Abbott is supposedly going to announce a full Texas shutdown either tomorrow or Friday. The friend of a friend is allegedly on the Texas COVID panel that regularly communicates with Abbott so it could be legit....or maybe it’s just a “my uncle works at Nintendo” situation.

Just thought I’d pass it along.

Lol my loving barber said the same thing today so uh...probably not true