Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is there really no way to save in the TV World? I don't remember that. I just fuckin' died to Shadow Chie because she Knocked me down an then killed me with the next attack even though I had just healed myself basically to full health and I had the only armor on that I could have right now.

I did not miss the true challenge of P4 which is never having any loving money for the first couple dungeons because you only really gain money on the hardest difficulty from thE Golden Hands and you can't reliably kill them at first because they resist everything and poo poo.

I had that Slime which I guess I should have had on Yu but I was using Pixie to heal so....bleh. I guess I should just go for broke and blow all my money on armor for both me and Yosuke. I only had armor for Yu which meant I kept Yosuke guarding all the time. Maybe with armor on him I can use him to heal and keep Slime and Izanagi on Yu to ensure he doesn't die even if that poo poo happens again.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there really no way to save in the TV World? I don't remember that. I just fuckin' died to Shadow Chie because she Knocked me down an then killed me with the next attack even though I had just healed myself basically to full health and I had the only armor on that I could have right now.

I did not miss the true challenge of P4 which is never having any loving money for the first couple dungeons because you only really gain money on the hardest difficulty from thE Golden Hands and you can't reliably kill them at first because they resist everything and poo poo.

I had that Slime which I guess I should have had on Yu but I was using Pixie to heal so....bleh. I guess I should just go for broke and blow all my money on armor for both me and Yosuke. I only had armor for Yu which meant I kept Yosuke guarding all the time. Maybe with armor on him I can use him to heal and keep Slime and Izanagi on Yu to ensure he doesn't die even if that poo poo happens again.

there's a save point at the entrance, in the front-left corner.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

there's a save point at the entrance, in the front-left corner.

Yeah I see now. The y force you right to the entrance of the Castle at first instead of starting in the "entrance hub" area or whatever you normally start with after that and that hub is where the save point is. Oh well.

Thanks.

I still anticipate dying a lot. It's so weird, I remember P4 starting off like a nightmare then becoming trivially easy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah that's pretty much the case. The first dungeon is rough because of the lack of SP recovery (just be ready to do it over two days unless you're really good at conservation). The second one is also rough, but a bit more manageable. From the third dungeon on it's pretty smooth since you have the Fox and you have four party members to rotate.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I thought the reason it got easier post-first dungeon was that Yukiko is a bottomless bin of SP who can still be anywhere from half to a third full when Chie and Yosuke are running on fumes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
She kind of is, but it's also because she's so slow that she tends to perform one less action than everyone else every fight. Yusuke is extremely fast so he always empties first.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

Yosuke is extremely fast so he always empties first.

So that’s why he’s so mean to Kanji

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheKingofSprings posted:

So that’s why he’s so mean to Kanji

:drat:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Honestly the most bs part about social links in P3 is that you can't even rank 10 any of the lady social links without it being a romance. You literally have no choice in the matter as far as I remember.

I think that's something they fixed in P3P, but only for the lady main character?

This was intentional, because the director (the guy in the thread title) did not believe that men and women could be friends. Like, he could not imagine men and women hanging out for any reason that was not romantic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Clarste posted:

This was intentional, because the director (the guy in the thread title) did not believe that men and women could be friends. Like, he could not imagine men and women hanging out for any reason that was not romantic.
If there's something in Persona 3-5 that's weird about women, gay people, or both, it's a fair assumption that Katsura Hashino's fingerprints are all over it.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
do you think my secret anime harem would forgive my philandering if I explained that I only get maximum superpowers if we get busy?

No? 'scuse me everyone, gotta go die a hero's death. hash it out at the funeral, ladies.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And then one of them tries to bring you back anyway. Hell, maybe even two of them depending on if you count Elizabeth or not.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The game clearly states that you form an unbreakable bond with your anime harem--at least in P4G. They're sisterwives to you now and will all cry together at your funeral without it turning into a wrestling cage match.
Your bros are gonna be super-pissed when they all find out you did a clean sweep through the friend circle though. Except Yosuke if that mod ever fanfics him back in.

Atlus, dudes c'mon, give me P3P and P5R on Steam, guys. I could play P3P on my Vita, but I'm not replaying the PS2 version again and would rather do it on PC without an emu.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Andrigaar posted:

Atlus, dudes c'mon, give me P3P and P5R on Steam, guys. I could play P3P on my Vita, but I'm not replaying the PS2 version again and would rather do it on PC without an emu.
P4G broke all kinds of Steam records, I definitely think P3P is coming to Steam. Persona 5, I'm not so sure.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
While I'd love to see p3p with hi-res assets, I can't imagine that's what they'd release. It's pretty barebones presentation-wise. Maybe they'll finally mush FES and Portable together somehow. I can only dream.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

And spend tons of time animating all of the girl side scenes? Yeah, no. Not even in your dreams.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The next Steam release will be the DemiKids Collection and we're all gonna like it

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I enjoy P3P's story and the (female) SLs but man everything else about it is super outdated. Even fusion is kinda outdated.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Obviously the next releases are going to be the Raidou Kuzunoha Pack and the Digital Devil Saga Pack

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dx2 (the phone game) is having an anniversary event. you can get a bunch of free poo poo right now, and they've added an alternate second Alice to the game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cleretic posted:

The next Steam release will be the DemiKids Collection and we're all gonna like it

I'd buy that. Especially if they set up a trading system between the pair of the GBA titles, since they had such solidly different stories.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
If the P3P Steam rumors do end up being true, then you can be drat sure I'm going to be cranking that game down to ultra-baby-easy VN mode just to watch it again like a movie, with occasional button inputs to attack something.

Reason is I watched that four part P3 anime series around a month ago and it was clear I remember nothing but the true ending and some of FES. P4G is infinitely more positive and full of group hugs by comparison, even with the narrative changes that I had to skim over reviews to have pointed out to me.

BTW, does P3P have the same NG+ as P3 where MC waltzes back into the world at level 90 and sneezes everything dead?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cleretic posted:

I'd prefer that to a game I already bought twice before

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Andrigaar posted:

If the P3P Steam rumors do end up being true, then you can be drat sure I'm going to be cranking that game down to ultra-baby-easy VN mode just to watch it again like a movie, with occasional button inputs to attack something.

Reason is I watched that four part P3 anime series around a month ago and it was clear I remember nothing but the true ending and some of FES. P4G is infinitely more positive and full of group hugs by comparison, even with the narrative changes that I had to skim over reviews to have pointed out to me.

BTW, does P3P have the same NG+ as P3 where MC waltzes back into the world at level 90 and sneezes everything dead?

I think so yeah, NG+ on any Persona game is easy other than the superbosses.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think so yeah, NG+ on any Persona game is easy other than the superbosses.

NG+ is a huge cakewalk, yeah. Even if you get dumped back down to level 1, you usually have enough money leftover from the previous timeline to summon one of your Level 70+ endgame personas with huge stats/resistances and broken passive skills that lets you just faceroll your way through at least the first half of the game.

As far as onboarding goes at the beginning of the game, I think P4 is the only one that's really outrageous. You play for like hours before the first real fight. You play for even more hours before the first real dungeon. P5 has you first entering the dungeon on like the first day of school, and doing actual Dungeon poo poo shortly thereafter.

I have a feeling we'll never see another P3-style "here's your party members, now get in the loving Dungeon" intro.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You say that as if it doesn't take like two hours for p3 to get there too. There's a lot of setting up intrigue and worldbuilding before that.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I don't really have a problem with slow burn opening and in the case of P4 it's sort of necessary - protag is in the same shoes as three other characters, all of whom to some extent think Inaba is boring and that boredom to some degree motivates them. You're kind of supposed to feel that way too.

P5 probably suffered from it's rush into the supernatural core, but it's also a pretty intense story (at the start) and needed something. Maybe an active gameplay loop that wasn't based in the Metaverse?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nah, P5's opening worked pretty well. It's really the midgame that drags.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Agree, in my opinion P5 had one of the strongest openings, as it got you into the action relatively quickly and there's tension, with Kamoshida and the protagonist being an outcast at the new high school.

Immediately after Kamoshida though the story takes a big nosedive.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Is Rumi stuck living a false life? Cause that's kinda hosed up no matter how "happy" she is.

I know it's nitpicky, but I just wonder what her and Maruki's mutual friends thought about everything that went down. She "breaks up with him" and then remains real committed to pretending he doesn't exist? It sounds like poo poo would be real awkward for everybody like how it was implied that things were awkward for the people who knew Sumire before Maruki "helped" her. Similarly, if she thanked the doctors for her surgery that didn't happen. I thought for sure that we'd get some scene of her remembering his name or her name appearing on his caller id, but after the final boss the game just kinda ends the same as vanilla P5 except for white day/Maruki is now a taxi driver.

Congratulations, you put more thought into some parts of that plot than the writers did.

I like Royal, and I overall like the new stuff, but...some things just falter a bit.

ETA: As much as I think P4 is the weakest of 3-5, I still want to get Golden on PC, but not until Denuvo's gone.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nah, P5's opening worked pretty well. It's really the midgame that drags.

They could easily cut 75% of the text message conversations in the game and it would do nothing but improve the pacing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has Leader Death = Instant Game Over ever been good? I first encountered this in FFXIII and everyone absolutely despised it. I thought it was a weird and unique quirk because FFXIII's system is such that it really isn't that crippling. But then I played SMT and Persona years later and discovered it's a series tradition. And like many traditions, it sucks and nobody actually likes it because this battle system is such that you can very easily die and then lose everything.

Most seem to agree SMTIV Apocalypse has the best gmeplay in the series and I definitely remember one thing it changed was Party Leader Death = Game Over was a special "App" you had to buy and not just the irremovable default.

I'm really wanting to play Apoc even more now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's at least story explanation for it in P3. They just kept it in P4 and P5 because, shrug.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's at least story explanation for it in P3. They just kept it in P4 and P5 because, shrug.

It's also in most of the main Megatens, where it makes total sense. Those demons aren't gonna stay obedient, they wanna slip that leash ASAP.

I still like it, because it means they can deliberately design around your protagonist being strong as poo poo. In games like Final Fantasy the protagonist is usually the strongest anyway, but everyone else has to at least kinda keep pace because it's possible the leader will fall. SMT drops the pretense and sees where that design philosophy goes, and I find it pretty fun. It'd be awful in a game with party balance more like Chrono Trigger, though.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 16, 2020

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They actually made it somewhat more punishing in 3 and 4 compared to the first games that had it, since in SMTI and II you needed every human in your party to die for that to happen.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SMTIV doesn't even do it, it's weird

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I shout out to P3 for making you fight all the phases of the final boss, and giving the final boss access to charm which can then have party members heal it and an actual instant death move in one of the later phases that can, if you don't know about it, instantly kill the main character and cause you to have to restart the fight

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I got to Shadow Yukiko but way, way underleveled (Level 7) so I'm grinding a lot, dying a lot, and I decided to take a look at the difficulty setting.

And so I noticed I can change the various specific difficulty settings like Money Won or Battle Retries.

Wasn't that a NG+ feature in the original Golden? I feel like in Golden for the Vita you just picked a generic difficulty level that changed all these values but then when yu did NG+ you could specify things like more money, less EXP, etc..

But here I can change anything I want right from the start. Give me goddamn Normal Money Won. Thank God I noticed this. If it was in the original Golden too and I just didn't notice it until after my first playthrough, I really was missing out. I was always struggling for money in the early game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

yeah that's a great modifier, i wanted to blaze through the game so i set money high and exp high, everything else normal

no grinding and no fussing over cash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Artelier posted:

yeah that's a great modifier, i wanted to blaze through the game so i set money high and exp high, everything else normal

no grinding and no fussing over cash!

Yeah it's honestly a huge QOL change and let's you play the game exactly how you'd like with no fuss.

I'm very down for these kind of flexible difficulties being adopted by more games