Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Booley posted:

I've been doing some painting for the last few weeks:
Captain:

Lieutenant:

Judiciar:

Eradicator Squad:

Assault Intercessors:

The glowing eyes on the Judiciar is a very nice touch and helps it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I really like them all especially the Assault Intercessors. If I can say something though, the rightmost Eradicator looks kind of like a blob from afar because the weathering on the same coloured helmet breaks up the lines between the head and chest.

The Judiciar is sick tho

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:staredog: Goddamn, Booley

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is this a good time to start collecting imperial guard? i've not played since 2nd edition, how's the model variety and such?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Razzled posted:

is this a good time to start collecting imperial guard? i've not played since 2nd edition, how's the model variety and such?

If you like the same Cadian infantry units repeated over multiple squads then you're in luck. Otherwise there are plenty of third party producers making different heads and such to break things up a little. But the Cadian Infantry kits are, after some Eldar ones, some of the oldest kits in production I think.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

I really like them all especially the Assault Intercessors. If I can say something though, the rightmost Eradicator looks kind of like a blob from afar because the weathering on the same coloured helmet breaks up the lines between the head and chest.

The Judiciar is sick tho

Yeah I need to figure out a way to break up the yellow on my next batch

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Razzled posted:

Yeah, the Cadian and Catachans are basically your only two choices for infantry, and the kits are quite old. The tanks look fine.

In terms of where they stand as an army, they are "OK". Vehicles are good in 9th and board control is good in 9th which plays into our hands. On the other hand though troops have to stay on an objective through your opponents turn, meaning easily killed infantry aren't great unless you chuck loads of them at one objective.

The biggest downside to the vehicles is simply the fact that everyone comes tooled up to kill Knights, and our vehicles, even the big ones, are easier to kill than a Knight due to no invulnerable save.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, the Cadian and Catachans are basically your only two choices for infantry, and the kits are quite old. The tanks look fine.

In terms of where they stand as an army, they are "OK". Vehicles are good in 9th and board control is good in 9th which plays into our hands. On the other hand though troops have to stay on an objective through your opponents turn, meaning easily killed infantry aren't great unless you chuck loads of them at one objective.

The biggest downside to the vehicles is simply the fact that everyone comes tooled up to kill Knights, and our vehicles, even the big ones, are easier to kill than a Knight due to no invulnerable save.

I only got the itch to get back in because I randomly listened to a podcast about the fall of Cadia. I was never good at wargames so I'm not too worried about their tournament viability, just a little concerned about the hobbyist variety in the model range. Love the idea of having infantry of all races/sexes and it's cool that there are third party bits now to support that

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
My gf and I have been trying out the new 9th edition rules that have been given online by the gw community site and the free pdf using 8th ed points. So far we have been liking them over the old 8th edition rule set.

Moral feels relevant but not as devastating as it was in 8th.

Terrains -1 to hit and line of sight blocking makes the board a bit more interesting.

Tanks being able to move and shoot means our armies don't feel like two parking lots taking pot shots at each other. Combined with new terrain and everyone is moving around a lot more.

There are a bunch of rules confusion with how things can play out from the old 8th ed codexs and the new wording in 9ths core rules. Hopefully the full book addresses.

The example mission had the objective scoring points for you at the start of your turn instead of the end. Gives the opposition time to shoot stuff off the objective.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

should berserkers ride in a rhino?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are the FW points going to be in the annual? Is this finally when they get incorporated into 40k proper?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Razzled posted:

I only got the itch to get back in because I randomly listened to a podcast about the fall of Cadia. I was never good at wargames so I'm not too worried about their tournament viability, just a little concerned about the hobbyist variety in the model range. Love the idea of having infantry of all races/sexes and it's cool that there are third party bits now to support that

Every imperial army is single sex, I think maybe some eldar units are mixed sex, but it's not that common. You ca increase your diversity a bit with different skin tones, but it's pretty much just one set all the way.

Third party bits are all over the shop now, just bear in mind you wouldn't be able to play in a GW store or event using them (if this matters to you). Though it's a bit weird as basically you can't buy third party bits and use them but you can design your own and 3D print them, it's weird.

Even if a new set of plastic guard miniatures came out, I doubt it would be a mixed gender set.

moths posted:

Are the FW points going to be in the annual? Is this finally when they get incorporated into 40k proper?

No, its getting its own index "soon"

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

aren't 3rd party bits allowed if they're below a certain percentage of the model? like 3rd party heads on cadians would be okay?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Omar al-Bishie posted:

aren't 3rd party bits allowed if they're below a certain percentage of the model? like 3rd party heads on cadians would be okay?

Used to be a certain percentage of your model had to be GW bits, but last time I read the Warhammer world rules it was basically other than bases no commercially available third party bits allowed. No idea how they feel they can distinguish between s third party set of bits you bought and bits you 3D printed yourself though (which was apparently fine). Ultimately it doesn't matter unless you go to a GW store to play or warhammer world itself.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

drat, what a stupid and short sighted rule that is

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fwiw, the chaos guard in BSF included some Cadian women, and Steel Legion are as androgynous as every in great coats and promasks. FFG also included women in the Vostroyan Firstborn, which had to get past GW approval.

Kitchner posted:

No, its getting its own index "soon"

Rats. That's good to know though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Working out my army for Iron Hands. How does this list look?

quote:

HQs

Gravis Captain
(Warlord, Imperium's Sword, Chapter Master, 2 CP)

Primaris Chaplain

Iron Father Feirros

Coteaz
(No Force Org Slot)

Troops
5 Intercessors
(Auto Bolt Rifles, Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Thunder Hammer)

5 Intercessors
(Auto Bolt Rifles, Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Power Fist)

5 Intercessors
(Stalker Bolt Rifles, Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Chainsword)

Elites

Apothecary
(Hero of the Chapter, Chief Apothecary, Father of the Future, 3 CP)

Redemptor Dreadnought
(Heavy Onslaught Cannon, Onslaught Cannon, Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod)

3 Aggressors
(Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launcher)

Invictor Tactical Warsuit
(Incendium Cannon)

Fast Attack

3 Suppressors

Heavy Support

3 Eliminators
(2x Bolt Sniper Rifles, Instigator Bolt Carbine)

Thunderfire Cannon

3 Eradicators

Flyers

Stormtalon Gunship
(2x Lascannons)

Total Spent
1,997/2000 Points
5/12 Command Points

Units in bold are already painted up. I also have a smash captain, primaris lieutenant with stalker bolt rifle, another squad of stalker bolt intercessors, a squad of regular bolt intercessors, a vindicator, and a land speeder painted up, but I'm not sure they quite rate.

The idea is to have the stalker bolt intercessors and thunderfire cannon hang back, ideally on a backline objective. The Eliminators and Invictor deploy forward where they can be a pain in the enemy's neck. The rest of the army moves forward in a mobile castle, splitting off as necessary to take points. Thoughts?

JackMann fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 16, 2020

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

moths posted:

Fwiw, the chaos guard in BSF included some Cadian women, and Steel Legion are as androgynous as every in great coats and promasks. FFG also included women in the Vostroyan Firstborn, which had to get past GW approval.

Ciaphas Cain series also had a mixed gender regiment.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Based on the amount of mold lines and flashes I've seen on my guard sprues recently, surely it means the moulds are reaching end of life and 9th edition is when we see decent new sculpts.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

if they released plastic guard with gas masks I would sell a kidney to buy an army

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

But would it be your kidney?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just got done reading the Core Rules PDF. Anyone know what size (points) the armies will be playing the 3 different board sizes: Combat Patrol, Strike Force, Onslaught?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

tangy yet delightful posted:

Just got done reading the Core Rules PDF. Anyone know what size (points) the armies will be playing the 3 different board sizes: Combat Patrol, Strike Force, Onslaught?

EDIT: Excuse me, misread your post. 500, 2000, and 3000, with Incursion coming between Combat Patrol and Strike Force at 1000.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 16, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yep!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Omar al-Bishie posted:

drat, what a stupid and short sighted rule that is

It was buried at the end, but it should be stressed that said rule is for if you want to play at Games Workshop's headquarters and flagship store not if you want to gently caress around in some random-rear end local tournament (I'm assuming you don't live in Nottingham).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

JackMann posted:

EDIT: Excuse me, misread your post. 500, 2000, and 3000, with Incursion coming between Combat Patrol and Strike Force at 1000.

Thanks ya'll!

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I know a couple of people who have tried playing 40k with alternating moves rather than the traditional you-go-I-go, and unfortunately the game kinda breaks down and becomes really silly.

However! I’m convinced that playing the charge phase (only the charge phase, not the move phase) as alternate activation like the fight phase already is, would improve the game substantially. At the beginning of the charge phase the person whose turn it is chooses the first unit to charge with, rolls charge etc. resolves rules (like impact hits or whatever) then the other player chooses a unit to charge with and so on. After all charges are done, move to melee phase and resolve as normal with alternate activation, chargers going first etc. in theory you could also have a rule for special units, that always get to charge first, but that might be convoluted. I think this would actually help combat-based armies somewhat. It might be more simple to combine the charge and fight phase, but I like having done all the charges before fighting.

e: a feature of this would obviously be that once the first unit charges in, the opponent will have an easier time charging that one (if gets in lines etc).

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 16, 2020

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Didn't they show female imperial guard in some of the promotions stuff so they might release something.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Supposedly Guard are next in line for a large line refresh ala Necrons.

It'd be the perfect time to pull it off.

Also fix Catachans.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SteelMentor posted:

Supposedly Guard are next in line for a large line refresh ala Necrons.

It'd be the perfect time to pull it off.

Also fix Catachans.

Catachans now twice as muscly and can crush terminators like tin cans.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Strobe posted:

It was buried at the end, but it should be stressed that said rule is for if you want to play at Games Workshop's headquarters and flagship store not if you want to gently caress around in some random-rear end local tournament (I'm assuming you don't live in Nottingham).

Nobody ‘lives’ in Nottingham. You can ‘exist’ there.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Do they actually enforce the third party rule?

I mean maybe they care a bit about it at Warhammer World, but I can't see the average GW manager trying to run one of their stores giving a poo poo short of someone literally waving it in their face while boasting about it.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Arch is Norwegian, and doesn't speak for people here..

Every time I see Arch doing something dumb, I want to get in my car, and smack that smug poo poo accent out of his face..

loving chud

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I just looked up an Arch video and lmao

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
What's the recommendation for Kill Team nowadays, I only have the original starter box. Should I add the Elites or Commanders, or both? I don't have any other 40k models, so not sure if that is needed if I pick up elites/commanders.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I haven't played Elites, but I liked the things Commanders added.

You'll probably need like a box of some new unit type for Elites, and maybe a few Characters or some other Unit for Commander depending on your army

Like Death Guard get a Lord of Contagion, and some Termies in Elites. I forget what they got in Commanders, and apparently I don't have the epub on my phone like I thought I did :)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 16, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Deptfordx posted:

Do they actually enforce the third party rule?

I mean maybe they care a bit about it at Warhammer World, but I can't see the average GW manager trying to run one of their stores giving a poo poo short of someone literally waving it in their face while boasting about it.

GW stores want to be able to tell people "if you want that model, we have it on the wall over here!" because they host games as a form of advertisement of the product. Most managers don't care if it's not immediately very obvious just don't bring it up and no one will talk about it.

I can't imagine being told "sorry you can't play with those models" and then setting up to play anyway because that just comes off as weirdly sociopathic but I guess if you kept doing it they'll ban you from the store?

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Sab669 posted:

I haven't played Elites, but I liked the things Commanders added.

You'll probably need like a box of some new unit type for Elites, and maybe a few Characters or some other Unit for Commander depending on your army

Like Death Guard get a Lord of Contagion, and some Termies in Elites. I forget what they got in Commanders, and apparently I don't have the epub on my phone like I thought I did :)

Cool, I was thinking of adding the death watch box, for some space marines, and thought of the elites and commanders.

I always end up with starting boxes (underworlds, warcry, kill team) and then I just sit with them not sure what to add. :)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Eej posted:

GW stores want to be able to tell people "if you want that model, we have it on the wall over here!" because they host games as a form of advertisement of the product. Most managers don't care if it's not immediately very obvious just don't bring it up and no one will talk about it.

I can't imagine being told "sorry you can't play with those models" and then setting up to play anyway because that just comes off as weirdly sociopathic but I guess if you kept doing it they'll ban you from the store?

I also think the rule is a way for GW to get rid of inappropriate models like Kromlech boob-daemons in an environment where kids can be around.

But if you're not going to those extremes with your 3rd-party stuff, then 'dont ask dont tell' very much applies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
For the smaller stores it's absolute manager's discretion wrt 3rd party stuff. Not just model bitz but paints and the like as well.

With four GW stores near me I've seen attitudes swing wildly. From "Yeah use your Vallejo paints just keep 'em in your bag when you're not pouring some out" to "No non-GW stuff, not even clippers and glue" to "hey hold your breath for a moment imma whip my airbrush out while it's quiet".