Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Game Options-> Interface-> Show Yields in HUD Ribbon

AHA! Thank you. Should be handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Speedball posted:

AHA! Thank you. Should be handy.

Yeah it’s nice to see at a glance how far behind you are in tech/ culture and who has cash on hand to deplete.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh man. Do not settle next to a volcano in Apocalypse mode unless you're ready for some crazy poo poo to happen.

This thing kept destroying my, uh, everything, so I had to get Liang, the governor who focuses on building stuff, and get her that promotion that prevents districts and whatnot from being damaged by disasters.

Note that Liang's ability does NOT prevent population loss from a volcano, sadly, so my capital's population got set back a lot whenever that drat volcano erupted, but the unexpected upside was that the extremely active volcano kept upping the yields of all its tiles, so my capital quickly became INSANELY productive and fertile, able to bounce back from any disaster in moments and producing most military units in at most 2 turns.

Didn't hurt that there were also floodplains that I built the Great Bath on and I was playing as Peter for crazy good yields on nearby tundra tiles. This guy was ready to launch himself into space when everyone was in the Rennaisance.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Why wouldn't you settle near a volcano? Just don't put any important districts in its first ring, and you've got farms that don't need a builder to improve.

I love volcanos.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Organic Lube User posted:

Why wouldn't you settle near a volcano? Just don't put any important districts in its first ring, and you've got farms that don't need a builder to improve.

I love volcanos.

In Apocalypse Mode the Disaster settings are set to 4. Any setting above 2 gives volcanoes a two tile radius of effect.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Kaal posted:

In Apocalypse Mode the Disaster settings are set to 4. Any setting above 2 gives volcanoes a two tile radius of effect.

Even better. Just move one more tile away.

For some reason I haven't noticed any second ring tiles get damaged in any eruptions in my games.
Would be nice if the little cinematic would show you which tiles specifically got damaged and fertilized.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yeah the volcanoes can be annoying but the yields make it worth it. What's worst is when there's a luxury or an important resource in the first two rings. It usually doesn't even pillage the improvement, it just blows it to hell. Over and over.

Still worth it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Even better. Just move one more tile away.

For some reason I haven't noticed any second ring tiles get damaged in any eruptions in my games.
Would be nice if the little cinematic would show you which tiles specifically got damaged and fertilized.
The second ring can get damaged, but doesn't always. My apocalpyse-mode Aztec capital was 2 tiles away and got pillaged about 50% of the time on a megacolossal eruption.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
If you put Liang with the natural disaster protection in a city by a volcano does it protect resource tile improvements as well or only the city/districts?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jovial Cow posted:

If you put Liang with the natural disaster protection in a city by a volcano does it protect resource tile improvements as well or only the city/districts?

Tile improvements as well. She's real good.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah the volcanoes can be annoying but the yields make it worth it. What's worst is when there's a luxury or an important resource in the first two rings. It usually doesn't even pillage the improvement, it just blows it to hell. Over and over.

Still worth it.

I had an apocalypse mode game where my empires only aluminum was 2 tiles, next to each other that were between 2 volcanos

Didn't get to build a lot of bombers that game :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

Tile improvements as well. She's real good.

Yup, tile improvements as well, the only thing she can't stop is population loss from disasters.

I should note that this particular location also had a desert to the south and tundra to the north, so I was getting smacked down by blizzards *and* haboob dust storms. What a wild ride that city had. (Also found out that, sadly, while Russian units are immune to blizzard damage they are not immune to tile improvement damage from blizzards.)

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Welp the game updated itself this morning (on Switch) and ever since it says there's a new update available every time I start the game, and when I click download it spins for a second and then displays the same "new update available" screen. If I just hit "Start Software" it starts the game but suddenly the Maya and Gran Colombia pack is gone (Frontier pass still shows as installed) and it won't let me load save files made while that expansion was enabled.
I'm assuming I should just nuke it and redownload?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Welp the game updated itself this morning (on Switch) and ever since it says there's a new update available every time I start the game, and when I click download it spins for a second and then displays the same "new update available" screen. If I just hit "Start Software" it starts the game but suddenly the Maya and Gran Colombia pack is gone (Frontier pass still shows as installed) and it won't let me load save files made while that expansion was enabled.
I'm assuming I should just nuke it and redownload?

You could also try verifying file integrity via Steam, it's generally faster than redownloading a game. Not sure how well that works with the launcher, however.

Edit: Whoops, I completely missed that part. Disregard.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 16, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This is on Switch, not Steam, sadly.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
so if you don't disable religious victories, what's the strategy on deity to make sure the CPU doesn't just win it while you aren't looking?

suppose you don't form your own religion, how do you stop them from taking over?

try to ally with and bolster a civ that did start a religion so they can hold out, or like invade the country that is taking over with religion and try to just get rid of them before they can keep spreading, or what?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Stefan Prodan posted:

so if you don't disable religious victories, what's the strategy on deity to make sure the CPU doesn't just win it while you aren't looking?

suppose you don't form your own religion, how do you stop them from taking over?

try to ally with and bolster a civ that did start a religion so they can hold out, or like invade the country that is taking over with religion and try to just get rid of them before they can keep spreading, or what?

i never find it a problem, as long as two ais are spreading religion they just seem to splaff endless apostles at each other to no great effect, and neither gets a dominant position. maybe on a < small map it could be an issue.

if you are at war with someone you can use your military to kill their religious units. this also creates negative pressure for their religion in nearby cities which will reduce their numbers of followers. there is also a world congress motion that allows you to condemn a targeted religion even when not at war - but good luck rolling that motions and getting it passed.

you don't actually need to found a religion, you can still build a holy site in a city converted to another civ's religion. and still get apostles (debaters ideally) to fight off and invaders.

obviously if you wipe out a civ completely they can't win.

or easiest is to just win whichever victory type you're pursing quicker.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
Playing on switch, are there any known issues with Maya and gran Colombia? It reads as not purchased on my dlc list even after a new install, and because it it switch I don’t have any option to install dlcs individually

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Huh, saving one's configuration also seems to save the map seed, so there will always be the same map to play. Wonder if this was an oversight or intended. I just want to have my favourite config handy but play a different map each time.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

Playing on switch, are there any known issues with Maya and gran Colombia? It reads as not purchased on my dlc list even after a new install, and because it it switch I don’t have any option to install dlcs individually

I'm having the same issue. Checking for corrupt data didn't help so now I'm just redownloading. Guess I'll see in an hour or so if that fixed poo poo. My Plex server is dead anyway so I guess I have the spare bandwidth.
This is probably because they have the same expansion data in two different packages (standalone and frontier pass) but who knows. Looks like this has been happening to people frequently with the frontier pass.

Edit: redownloading didn't do poo poo. Sonsoffuckingbitches.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 16, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Man they really hosed up the Switch version. First that thing where using the touchscreen broke everything. Now this.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Ethiopia preview up - faith/culture based as one would expect

https://youtu.be/YCVa4LYYmoo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

double negative posted:

sounds cool as hell, but also lol this is literally just if Georgia wasn't a dogshit civ, RIP.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The leader screen says it's +15% science and culture but the tooltip they have shows something like +30 science off of +81 faith, did I miss something?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

The leader screen says it's +15% science and culture but the tooltip they have shows something like +30 science off of +81 faith, did I miss something?

I think they’re also getting a bonus from one of the Secret Societies’ effects

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Huh, saving one's configuration also seems to save the map seed, so there will always be the same map to play. Wonder if this was an oversight or intended. I just want to have my favourite config handy but play a different map each time.

Delete the seed fields so they're blank, then re-save the config.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How often do people restart on deity when you get a bad map?

I'm new to playing on the highest difficulty and I got a couple maps where I was just like lmao gently caress this where I had nothing but like ocean and desert around me but I was wondering if people usually just power through it or if it's possible be good enough you can just win on any map

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I reload until I get a decent start on any difficulty

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Forced myself to win through culture as Victoria on 7 difficulty with an empire consisting of almost entirely tundra and small hilly islands, probably the least suitable terrain for it, bought almost every single great work in the game with my absurd gold production then eventually pivoted to my whole empire just pumping out faith for rock bands (the last one cost 5k) while nuking other civs who were about to send offworld expeditions out. Could have won by science 3 times over while i was waiting - are mass seaside resorts or particular wonders/city state bonuses something key I was missing or is a culture victory a rare occurrence/something you need to plan from turn 1 for the average game?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

Forced myself to win through culture as Victoria on 7 difficulty with an empire consisting of almost entirely tundra and small hilly islands, probably the least suitable terrain for it, bought almost every single great work in the game with my absurd gold production then eventually pivoted to my whole empire just pumping out faith for rock bands (the last one cost 5k) while nuking other civs who were about to send offworld expeditions out. Could have won by science 3 times over while i was waiting - are mass seaside resorts or particular wonders/city state bonuses something key I was missing or is a culture victory a rare occurrence/something you need to plan from turn 1 for the average game?

Two wonders are super important: Eiffel Tower (increases appeal, making your Seaside resorts and Natural Parks a lot better)
Cristo Redentor (Doubles tourism produced by seaside resorts and removes the penalty against religious great works toward other civs that have unlocked, some tech I can't remember)

So yes you want to spam seaside resorts, every inch of coastline that can have one should have seaside resorts. Use your builders to to remove marshes and jungles and even the occasional mine (which all lower the appeal of adjacent tiles) and replace them with forests (which increase the appeal of adjacent tiles)

Make sure you have mutual open boarders with every civ and an international trade route going to every civ. There is a multiplier to tourism for having open boarders and one for having trade routes.

Use spies rather than warfare to disrupt spaceports. Warfare incurs a tourism penalty, successful spying does not.

There is a great merchant that gives bonus tourism to civs which you have a trade route to.......it is super powerful. There is a policy card that does the same (Online Communities).

Create national parks to generate large amounts of tourism, and use rock bands to to steal tourists from the civ other than you generating the most culture.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 16, 2020

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Also ski resorts on every mountain that you can that isn't part of a national park

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Also ski resorts on every mountain that you can that isn't part of a national park

Ah, knew I forgot something. But honestly, a culture win can be WAY faster than the science win, especially since Gathering Storm changed the science win to have the mandatory delay of finding the exoplanet expedition and the projects randomly in the future era.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 16, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Something to keep in mind is, it also matters a lot who your opponents are. Sometimes you roll the dice and get zero competition for a culture victory, and then sometimes you have every other culture-strong civ working against you, snapping up all the great people and wonders.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Also anyone also going for a culture win is going to be generating a lot of culture. Since their culture generated is effectively the “defense” to your tourism “offense” if they have a lot of culture it will dramatically increase the time it takes.

Try to squeeze every last ounce of tourism out of your tiles and policy cards and then BOMB the heaviest culture civ with rock bands.

Remember - tourism generated from works, tiles, all sources applies to everyone, and you drip the same amount of water into each opponents tourism bucket. Then look for the biggest bucket which will take the longest to fill up and rock bands are like dumping water directly into only their bucket.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

double negative posted:

They sure like hills.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chad Sexington posted:

They sure like hills.

whomst among us does not enjoy a good hill

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

mllaneza posted:

Delete the seed fields so they're blank, then re-save the config.

:negative:

All this time...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Geez Ethiopia might be able to rival Russia in faith generation, and stacking up on faith only makes your science and culture better to boot.

I guess OP civs really are the theme of this Frontier Pass.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Super Jay Mann posted:

Geez Ethiopia might be able to rival Russia in faith generation, and stacking up on faith only makes your science and culture better to boot.

I guess OP civs really are the theme of this Frontier Pass.

Power creep is generally a feature of games that have extended DLC releases - it's not limited to Civ VI or even 4X games in general. After awhile it becomes difficult to create new and interesting ways to play that aren't outright better than what was previously available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Everybody hates the Romans, but I won Diplomatic Victory by giving them 10,000 gold. Is there a mod that increases the point requirement for Diplomatic Victory? I'd rather not disable it completely, but it feels a bit too easy to achieve compared to everything else - I was going for a Religious Victory but stalled out while trying to peacefully convert Russia, so I won Diplomatic Victory while hardly even trying.

Also, is there a TSL Earth map where cities get accurate names for their geographic location?