Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The durametric pro let's you do that too. I'm not sure if the enthusiast model does. Having done mine (987.1), with the tool it's a simple procedure to have them cycle and bleed it with the valves actuated and not for each corner. Couple extra steps but not unattainable for the home gamer at least.

Might be able to do without if you're just doing a fluid change, although you wouldn't get all the old fluid out without actuating the valves. In my case I had the calipers off to get powdercoated so had the system open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, after I posted that I was thinking "Does Durametric do that?" and I fired it up and there is it...... Not surprising considering it even does the super weird poo poo like re-leveling/test the air syspension on the Cayenne (which looks wild while it's happening).

I doubt the enthusiast version would. It doesn't so much of anything other than scan.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I've had a mid-engined, rwd hole in my heart for a while. I was seriously contemplating an MR2 v6 swap but the prices on even crappy donor cars are through the roof at this point.

So I fell down a Boxster rabbit hole. I haven't got any experience with Porsche outside driving my friends horrible 98 Boxster. Top down, swapbar and suspension banging around, with a big grin on my face I was sold even by that terrible example.

This: https://sp.pooleauto.com/details/used-2006-porsche-boxster/64175932 is about 90 minutes from me. Am I insane for buying a 90k miles Porsche? The price is on the low end of KBB, seems like a decent deal. I've researched common issues as much as I can, anything y'all with more intimate knowledge can warn me to look out for?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

another loser posted:

Picked up the old man 986 Boxster S that I posted about earlier. Think it's going to be a fun summer.

That's sexy as hell. Nice find!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sipher posted:

I've had a mid-engined, rwd hole in my heart for a while. I was seriously contemplating an MR2 v6 swap but the prices on even crappy donor cars are through the roof at this point.

So I fell down a Boxster rabbit hole. I haven't got any experience with Porsche outside driving my friends horrible 98 Boxster. Top down, swapbar and suspension banging around, with a big grin on my face I was sold even by that terrible example.

This: https://sp.pooleauto.com/details/used-2006-porsche-boxster/64175932 is about 90 minutes from me. Am I insane for buying a 90k miles Porsche? The price is on the low end of KBB, seems like a decent deal. I've researched common issues as much as I can, anything y'all with more intimate knowledge can warn me to look out for?

Commons stuff on those:

- get a PPI, treat it like an expensive car because the current price doesn't necessarily reflect what your risk is in terms of deferred maintenance. (they also have a tattle tale in the ECU that logs if it's been over-reved)
- puff of oil smoke on first start after night can be indicative of an AOS failure / weakness. These can be fairly involved to replace so if you're not DIY it can be pretty pricey.
- coils and plugs likely need to be replaced at this mileage if they've never been touched.
- the S model is anecdotally more likely to have issues with borescorring.
- The convertible top push rod ends are plastic and can crack, leaving you with an inop roof. Inspect them to see if they show any signs of wear (factory are a white plastic, if they're black they've been replaced.
- The tensioner cords get weak with age and the top will not tuck into the window trims. Not terrible to DIY with some new elastic fabric but something to be aware of.
- I'm 2/2 for bad luck with waterpumps on these, budget to replace it would be my suggestion at this mileage.
- I'm questioning the PO's taste with those oversized wheels, ideally you should have an 18" wheel. Ride comfort will suffer with those and depending on your local roads the suspension might be coming due for new struts and bushings.
- Interior vents can be fragile, check to make sure they all work. They're a bit of a pain to replace if the plastic arms in them break.
- Seat pulls are fragile, check to make sure all 4 are intact and not just put in place. They're pricey for what they are if you want to replace them.
- Exhaust looks to be sitting weird, check to make sure its not some aftermarket thing with the factory tip.

It's mostly your typical used car stuff. PPI is strongly encouraged as there can be quite a few expensive items to address if you miss them from a quick drive or look with the seller. It's always good to get it up on a hoist and be able to inspect it better for any fluid leaks, general condition of rubber stuff, and to get a module scan to see if there are any faults or if it's been over-rev'ed in the past.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Sipher posted:

Not insane. This has pasm which is nice, and xenons and auto climate control. Check for sticky buttons on climate control and infotainment. Make sure frequent-ish oil changes done

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Also yes I had 2 water pump replacements in 75k miles and yes you should get a DME report for over revs. Range 1 and 2 are ok, 3 and up are not

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Thanks! Closest dealer to get a PPI is an hour away so we'll see if they'll let me borrow the car for an afternoon. If not, I'll walk and keep looking. Either way I figure I'll take it on a test drive this weekend, why not.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 10, 2020

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
How do the earlier Boxsters rate as a fun roadtripping holiday car for 2 people? Would you happily take one on a two week driving holiday for instance, or are they a bit too harsh and noisy to spend hours driving in repeatedly? I'm considering trying to find a well sorted later 986 or 987.1, probably an S, but maybe I would be better off saving some cash on a base model since they are apparently also a little bit softer riding? Did the 987s come with any really big improvements over the later 986s?

Edit: Those are some awesome photos Baja, thank you for helping to encourage me!

Mahatma-Squid fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 11, 2020

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've been posting a lot but it's my area of expertise so...

Personally I find them comfy, longest trips I've done is 6000km and a 10000km road trip in my 987.1 Boxsters and it was a great time both trips. There is more cabin noise from the convertible top but on my second trip I tried noise cancelling earbuds and it helped a lot to cut the road noise on the long highway stretches. You'll likely be fine but knowing someone with tinnitus I'm kinda overly cautious with my hearing.

987 vs 986 is mostly down to the interior and styling. Mechanically they're not hugely different other than the 987 base getting the 2.7 so it's more comparable to the outgoing S model in terms of getup and go. The interior on the 986 is higher quality but looks more dated. Personally I much prefer the 987 generation but that's personal preference.

E: suffer through my road trip photos

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 11, 2020

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Mahatma-Squid posted:

How do the earlier Boxsters rate as a fun roadtripping holiday car for 2 people? Would you happily take one on a two week driving holiday for instance, or are they a bit too harsh and noisy to spend hours driving in repeatedly? I'm considering trying to find a well sorted later 986 or 987.1, probably an S, but maybe I would be better off saving some cash on a base model since they are apparently also a little bit softer riding? Did the 987s come with any really big improvements over the later 986s?

Having PASM and smaller wheels really makes a difference to the ride. I had PASM and downgraded the wheels from 19" to 18" and was very happy to have done so. It took the ride from borderline to decently comfortable for long distances. Would recommend trying out the seats because imo they're not for everyone

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
The last car I posted here sold before I could look at it, so now I'm down to cabs:

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/butler-porsche-911-carrera-cab-manual/7140842607.html

goon thoughts on this one?

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Test drove that 2006, but I'm gonna pass. Zero service history and while they're willing to let me take to get a PPI, ehhhh. Big puff of smoke on startup, rest of the car seemed in decent enough condition but that worn out base interior just sort of made me sad, I'd rather spend a few more bucks on something nicer optioned or better condition.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 11, 2020

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
:barf: at that interior and the base 987 Boxster wheels but mechanically the 1999 is a good year to get. If it's been maintained regularly and driven like a Porsche (i.e. seen high revs regularly) it should be a decent buy as long as you can get past the cosmetic issues

Sipher posted:

Test drove that 2006, but I'm gonna pass. Zero service history and while they're willing to let me take to get a PPI, ehhhh. Big puff of smoke on startup, rest of the car seemed in decent enough condition but that worn out base interior just sort of made me sad, I'd rather spend a few more bucks on something nicer optioned or better condition.
The full leather really makes a difference, but it's uncommon. Fastest way to tell IMO is look for the seam on both sides of the center console, when looking at the center console straight on from the front

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: e/n leak, rough week

blk fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 12, 2020

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

got off on a technicality posted:

The full leather really makes a difference, but it's uncommon. Fastest way to tell IMO is look for the seam on both sides of the center console, when looking at the center console straight on from the front

Fastest way to tell what?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Sipher posted:

Fastest way to tell what?

Whether the car has full leather

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Thanks

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hey does anybody know if this high beam switch fix is applicable to 944s as well, specifically an '86?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Hey does anybody know if this high beam switch fix is applicable to 944s as well, specifically an '86?

I can't tell you for sure since I haven't had that problem, but in the dusty recesses of my mind those pictures look like the turns signal switch on my 85.5. So probably.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Rate my taste in wrap color

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scionix fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 15, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Looks awesome, I would never have guessed that's a wrap

*edit*

had to click the ? icon to see the original color, I love black cars but this may actually be better. Here's his original:

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 15, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yay you did it! looks awesome

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Scionix posted:

Rate my taste in wrap color
Wow that is really pretty indeed

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

MomJeans420 posted:

Looks awesome, I would never have guessed that's a wrap

*edit*

had to click the ? icon to see the original color, I love black cars but this may actually be better. Here's his original:

Yeah was really not a fan of the BLACK ON BLACK ON BLACK

also I live in Texas and the paint was in rough shape. Black is also borderline impossible to keep clean with Austin's stellar roads.

Glad people liked the color. Eventually I would like to re-surface the interior in beige leather but I have to stop spending money 😅

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
The reflection from the dash may annoy you over time, esp since you live in a sunny place. That's the one regret I had about black/beige

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you can just put some tan interior pieces in. I think a black dash/wheel with tan lowers looks good especially with dark blue.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Didn’t have time to do a proper photo but this came out OK. It’s a goofy 996 with tons of sidewall!

Needs tires and some trim stuff inside (and reverse lights aren’t working).

I had someone take a second look at it today and cam deviation is way out of spec on one side, but they think some dealer monkey might’ve misaligned the chain when the IMS was done 3000 miles ago - going to keep an eye on it, as long as it doesn’t get worse I should be fine. If not, well, I better not get attached to the car.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

blk posted:

I had someone take a second look at it today and cam deviation is way out of spec on one side, but they think some dealer monkey might’ve misaligned the chain when the IMS was done 3000 miles ago - going to keep an eye on it, as long as it doesn’t get worse I should be fine. If not, well, I better not get attached to the car.
Totally betraying my ignorance here, but what about fixing it given the ridiculous cost of a new engine? How much are we talking about

blk
Dec 19, 2009

got off on a technicality posted:

Totally betraying my ignorance here, but what about fixing it given the ridiculous cost of a new engine? How much are we talking about

They have to get pretty deep inside to look at all the possible points of failure. The shop I talked to advised against doing that now - it’s fragile, fussy, and expensive work.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

They have to get pretty deep inside to look at all the possible points of failure. The shop I talked to advised against doing that now - it’s fragile, fussy, and expensive work.

After all the search time, how did you end up with this crapshoot?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

After all the search time, how did you end up with this crapshoot?

Can’t travel nationally for a car now and I wanted to see in person.

Used market is tighter and lower inventory, including used 911s.

Needed to quickly replace and consolidate my other vehicles.

Owner was leaving town for 2 months (verifies) so I had to act fast.

Only mechanic available before then could only do a cursory inspection and didn’t check cam deviation. I didn’t realize it should be checked before then.

Car is low mileage, very good condition and all other major work has been done with records. PPI otherwise looks good. Only needs consumables because it’s been sitting.

All of the M96/M97 cars seem risky to me. A mid-high mileage NA 997 can still be anywhere from 30k (C2) to 60k (Targa). Most of the ones I found on the lower end have 5+ owners and no records.

This seemed like the lowest liability option given the history and cost. The shop that measured the cam deviation strongly suspects the dealer was one tooth off on the chain when they did the IMS. They have an alternate theory that it was caused by the car sitting, which I don’t really understand. They tell me it’s nothing to worry about if it doesn’t get worse, and that it might actually get better as I drive the snot out of the car, which I’m doing.

So far so good, 1000 miles on a week with no issues.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

They have an alternate theory that it was caused by the car sitting, which I don’t really understand. They tell me it’s nothing to worry about if it doesn’t get worse, and that it might actually get better as I drive the snot out of the car, which I’m doing.

Neither of these makes sense to me?

Nice buy tho, I'm still too much of a scaredy-cat from bore scoring, d-chunking, ims and whatnot to get one. :sigh:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I thought cam deviation was basically wear on the tensioner pads so it shouldn't be anything else. How far out are they?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Besides the interior being gross I didn't get much feedback on this last time, and it's been reposted with new photos:

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/butler-porsche-911-carrera-cab-stick/7161334208.html

I was going to check out a similar car closer to my house until...

a pox upon this dealer

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

Besides the interior being gross I didn't get much feedback on this last time, and it's been reposted with new photos:

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/butler-porsche-911-carrera-cab-stick/7161334208.html

I was going to check out a similar car closer to my house until...

a pox upon this dealer

That's a rude tease.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
So would this 2010 be worth looking at for this kind of price? No idea what the 997 C2 cabrio market is looking like right now.

https://www.lexusoftucsonautomall.com/vehicle-details/used-2010-porsche-911--tucson-az-id-36385118

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If that floats your boat, but I don't think you could get more of a blue-haired senior citizen combo if you tried. Also, pretty sure that's an auto and not a manual like the ad says.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is absolutely an auto, and was traded in by the geriatric for a Lexus. Wow - I've rarely seen something so new that clearly states "my best days were in the early 70s."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

That is absolutely an auto, and was traded in by the geriatric for a Lexus. Wow - I've rarely seen something so new that clearly states "my best days were in the early 70s."

I love the ipod label. Is it an auto or a pdk? Was PDK an upcharge? I would take a brown PDK coupe of that year if I could find one. Lol a porsche that drives women and men away is perfect!