Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Any potential benefit for losing a month on purpose pales in comparison to the time spent playing another game. Time is our most valuable resource. You could always just skip the intentionally lost game, give yourselves the benefits, and then play the second game thst month as your only game. Find some way to randomize board stickers to even it out and bam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

FulsomFrank posted:

drat you for recommending these Hollandspiel games that cost an arm and a leg and are difficult to get.

Cloth of Gold is like 30bux in the US, you just gotta order direct. If you're UK or EU, order from Second Chance Games here.

If you're outside the US/EU, the print and play version should be up on wargame vault in a month or two.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 14, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Our team won some months on our first try and never felt like we were missing anything at all.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Gutter Owl posted:

Cloth of Gold is like 30bux in the US, you just gotta order direct. If you're UK or EU, order from Second Chance Games here.

If you're outside the US/EU, the print and play version should be up on wargame vault in a month or two.

$51 USD shipped to Canada.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

$51 USD shipped to Canada.

The components are minimal and it would be better to get the print and play version. I'm already upgrading mine to Scrabble tiles and such. The board is very small and easily-mounted.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

rydiafan posted:

Our team won some months on our first try and never felt like we were missing anything at all.
Spoilers for, effectively, all of Pandemic: Legacy S1 in the bars:
It wasn’t the winning, directly, so much as it was losing the opportunity to complete the other objectives in the month.

In our specific case, we beat a month before having completed one of the limited-time offer “find the character” objectives. This triggered a “you royally hosed up, here’s some help,” event and we were informed by the end-of-campaign scoring that we’d incurred a big ol’ penalty as a result.

It just rubbed us the wrong way because it felt like the primary goal of the game had become a videogamey “point of no return” that we got caught out by.

Maybe it should have been obvious that doing the thing that causes the game to progress would, in fact, have caused the game to progress, but still, I’d have appreciated just a little something to thematically spell out, “hey, poindexters, there’ll always be cubes to clean up but brad in atlanta needs a ride home, like, yesterday.”

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My wife and I just lost the first part of September in Season 1. Other than that, the only loss we've had has been in May. Although we tend to collaborate really well, and are super analytical in our approach, I guess it can't also hurt that we are only playing with 1 character each (and that we accidentally abused one character's "once per turn" ability for a few games), and I have considered suggesting we try with a couple each, to give us more to chew on, but the game does seem to be getting harder anyway, though maybe that's my misperception. Having just played Eldritch Horror for the first time, it's interesting how that game, which has some fundamental structural similarities to Pandemic, putatively (and after one game, ostensibly) gets conversely easier with more players/characters, as the intensification stage happens once per round of character actions and encounters, rather than per character turn like in Pandemic. Though some of those Mythos cards are drat harsh. Horrific, even. :cthulhu:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Gutter Owl posted:

Thanks for these links. I was thinking that I didn't have enough games for small player counts so hearing good things about this is tempting, even if it is a bit pricey for a filler game, especially since I like Tom Russell. I was also looking at Mantis Falls which seems like an interesting concept, I will definitely be giving the rules a quick read to see how it looks.

Although I could always just get Patchwork and be done with it!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I mean, Cloth of Gold and Patchwork are really different games, I think a collection can bear having both.

Never heard of Mantis Falls. I'll have to take a closer look, but Inhuman Conditions is still my go to for 2-player social deduction.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
It makes me sad that the new edition of Sidereal Confluence is coming out at a time when I can't have people over to play it :( I'll still probably pick it up for future gaming.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Some Strange Flea posted:

Spoilers for, effectively, all of Pandemic: Legacy S1 in the bars:
It wasn’t the winning, directly, so much as it was losing the opportunity to complete the other objectives in the month.

In our specific case, we beat a month before having completed one of the limited-time offer “find the character” objectives. This triggered a “you royally hosed up, here’s some help,” event and we were informed by the end-of-campaign scoring that we’d incurred a big ol’ penalty as a result.

It just rubbed us the wrong way because it felt like the primary goal of the game had become a videogamey “point of no return” that we got caught out by.

Maybe it should have been obvious that doing the thing that causes the game to progress would, in fact, have caused the game to progress, but still, I’d have appreciated just a little something to thematically spell out, “hey, poindexters, there’ll always be cubes to clean up but brad in atlanta needs a ride home, like, yesterday.”

Spoilered just in case (mechanic spoilers):

My team always prioritized the optional objectives, sometimes this meant we lost the game. It's just one of those things you need to prioritize - fighting the virus or completing the other objectives. It's a little gamey, sure, but that's just one of those things you have to choose.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Radioactive Toy posted:

It makes me sad that the new edition of Sidereal Confluence is coming out at a time when I can't have people over to play it :( I'll still probably pick it up for future gaming.

I chuckle at the idea of playing sidereal on TTS with 9 people shouting over voice chat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

I mean, Cloth of Gold and Patchwork are really different games, I think a collection can bear having both.

I agree. Cloth of Gold is Patchwork's "all of my options this turn transparently help you even more" without the Tetris-planning or lacking buttons to buy pieces. I was in a position where I could afford to buy from Hollandspiele, but knowing what I know now, I would have rather purchased the P&P and blinged out my own copy. Obviously, the board should be printed on (fake) gold cloth.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

I chuckle at the idea of playing sidereal on TTS with 9 people shouting over voice chat.

Playing Civ that way was brutal enough. Can't wait to grab the new edition of SC, hope they don't really gently caress something up in production that makes you have to wonder whether the first edition is better or not.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

homullus posted:

I agree. Cloth of Gold is Patchwork's "all of my options this turn transparently help you even more" without the Tetris-planning or lacking buttons to buy pieces. I was in a position where I could afford to buy from Hollandspiele, but knowing what I know now, I would have rather purchased the P&P and blinged out my own copy. Obviously, the board should be printed on (fake) gold cloth.

While the designers and artists get their royalty cuts off the P&P sales just the same, Hollandspiele only makes its real keep-the-lights-on-and-the-cats-fed profits off the boxed copies. The P&Ps are really there as an option for folks who are struggling or who live in shipping hellzones. So if nothing else, that box helps fund Tom and Mary to stay open and publish my next weird stupid game. So hey thanks.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Just checked in with Hollandspiele and saw that Richard Berg's Dynasty went out of print. I was planning on getting that at some point but I guess I missed that boat.

In other news, I'm late to the party but FFG is discontinuing their card sleeves. :smith:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

VoodooXT posted:

In other news, I'm late to the party but FFG is discontinuing their card sleeves. :smith:

Oh drat! :aaa: I hope I can stock up on their mini sleeves... (I used to use their standard sleeves a lot too, but I think the ones I use now are Mayday Premium ones? Essentially the same, but a fraction thinner and a little shorter, so they fit boxes and the like better)

In other news, my copy of Cartographers has arrived! Gonna have to give it a whirl and see how prettyugly my maps turn out

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
We've got a board game weekend away with 8 of us, booked in August, that's hopefully going ahead. This group are generally up for anything, but they bounced off Captain sonar so hard it felt like they were gonna cry. There was just something about the chaotic nature combined with the competitiveness that they couldn't stomach.

With that in mind, would sidereal confluence be a terrible pickup? It looks awesome and plays 8 well, but I gather the simultaneous trading stuff gets raucous?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

!Klams posted:

With that in mind, would sidereal confluence be a terrible pickup? It looks awesome and plays 8 well, but I gather the simultaneous trading stuff gets raucous?

I haven't played with more than 6, so perhaps it's different at 8. I don't think the trading necessarily has to be raucous in a way that's overwhelming--though at that number you kind of have to jump in on conversations if you have a particularly good deal in mind. My biggest worry with 8 might be that at that count you need someone to be either the Yengii or the Zeth, which may not be fun for them or others just learning the game...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VoodooXT posted:

Just checked in with Hollandspiele and saw that Richard Berg's Dynasty went out of print. I was planning on getting that at some point but I guess I missed that boat.

That's worrying. I thought they were making a lot of bank on those because every game they make has the required sleeves listed on it. I'm glad I bought that huge bundle of sleeves from Giochix now.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Think while the FFG ones are being discontinued, Asmodee have launched and are pushing Gamegenic ones instead. I believe newer games even have the same sleeve colour-coded listing on the box like the FFG ones did.

I've no idea how different they are. I don't sleeve, myself.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The Narrator posted:

I haven't played with more than 6, so perhaps it's different at 8. I don't think the trading necessarily has to be raucous in a way that's overwhelming--though at that number you kind of have to jump in on conversations if you have a particularly good deal in mind. My biggest worry with 8 might be that at that count you need someone to be either the Yengii or the Zeth, which may not be fun for them or others just learning the game...

I don't know what Yengii or Zeth do, but I know that there's myself and at least one other player that would be happy to be weird ones that don't quite work the normal way / "you're gonna lose your first four games with them" type stuff? That's good to hear it doesn't have to be overwhelming, I haven't really seen a lets play of it and all the descriptions make it sound kinda like a trading floor, which is one of the maddest places on earth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Think while the FFG ones are being discontinued, Asmodee have launched and are pushing Gamegenic ones instead. I believe newer games even have the same sleeve colour-coded listing on the box like the FFG ones did.

So it's more a rebranding, then. Probably a sign that FFG is going to be dissolved, which is very sad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think SidCon is necessarily going to evoke the same anxiety that you might see with Captain Sonar, but a group who had a bad experience with Sonar might have their opinion of real-time competitive games tarnished and be predisposed to thinking it's overwhelming.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

!Klams posted:

I don't know what Yengii or Zeth do, but I know that there's myself and at least one other player that would be happy to be weird ones that don't quite work the normal way / "you're gonna lose your first four games with them" type stuff? That's good to hear it doesn't have to be overwhelming, I haven't really seen a lets play of it and all the descriptions make it sound kinda like a trading floor, which is one of the maddest places on earth.

The Zeth play very differently and they kinda impose rules on everyone else so avoid them to start with. The Yengii are merely weird but their rules are largely contained to just them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Latest news about SPIEL.digital: registered attendees will get one month free Premium on Tabletopia and two weeks free premium on BGA.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nothing like browsing an online board game store looking to buy something as if the next time I'll be able to actually play my purchases with friends won't be sometime in 2021.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Been trying to tell myself that if I back a kickstarter now maybe by time it delivers I'll be able to actually play board games again lately.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Jedit posted:

So it's more a rebranding, then. Probably a sign that FFG is going to be dissolved, which is very sad.

This is just crazy to me. Just... Why? How do you take the most well-known and followed American board game company and get to this point?

I know, flipping a company is disconnected from the reality of the market, etc., but it's still just insane to see.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

M a x posted:

Been trying to tell myself that if I back a kickstarter now maybe by time it delivers I'll be able to actually play board games again lately.

Yeah, I've still got Millenium Blades on its way but there's no way the gf will be playing that with me so whenever it arrives it'll just sit on the shelf.

Anyway I bought Root Underword, the Mechanical Expansion, and the Menara expansion. Whoops!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Codeacious posted:

This is just crazy to me. Just... Why? How do you take the most well-known and followed American board game company and get to this point?

Well, they didn't, because that's Hasbro. But the answer is because they want to consolidate their brands.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Imperial Struggle showed up, finally. It felt like a month after the shipping notice.

GMT included a counter tray!

We're hoping to get it on the table this weekend.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jedit posted:

I think you’re reading it the wrong way. Back when FFG was independent branding their sleeves with FFG made sense. Now with 20+ companies, it makes way more sense to rebrand the sleeves to something not tied to just one brand. FFG still has huge name recognition, and if they are consolidating brands under Asmodee there are lots of smaller names that will go before them.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 16, 2020

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I mean don’t get me wrong, Asmodee ratfucked FFG and turned it into a Star Wars license factory, but I don’t see them killing the name as there is still some prestige on it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Don't know if I saw this here, but there's some info about the upcoming Pandemic Legacy Season 0:

https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/pandemic-legacy-season-0/news/pandemic-legacy-season-0-revealed-cold-war

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

While the designers and artists get their royalty cuts off the P&P sales just the same, Hollandspiele only makes its real keep-the-lights-on-and-the-cats-fed profits off the boxed copies. The P&Ps are really there as an option for folks who are struggling or who live in shipping hellzones. So if nothing else, that box helps fund Tom and Mary to stay open and publish my next weird stupid game. So hey thanks.

Oh, I know. I have eight other Hollandspiele games, including yours, and will be doing more than my share of supporting them as long as he keeps cranking out weird games that aren't mediocre hex and counter affairs. Cloth of Gold, though, is a game where I will probably be replacing every component with something cooler, because there's so few components, and so little information on them.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I've no idea how different they are. I don't sleeve, myself.

I haven't tried them myself, but I heard they're either slightly smaller/larger than the original FFG sleeves, so you won't be able to mix and match.

Edit: Comparison here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2qGPX7bsF0&t=408s

Zaphiel fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 16, 2020

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I've also heard varying degrees of differences in quality between the Gamegenic and FFG sleeves. In any case, this probably means I'm switching over completely to UltraPro for the common sleeve sizes once all of my FFG sleeves are gone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VoodooXT posted:

I've also heard varying degrees of differences in quality between the Gamegenic and FFG sleeves. In any case, this probably means I'm switching over completely to UltraPro for the common sleeve sizes once all of my FFG sleeves are gone.

I'd recommend bulk orders from Swan Panasia or jumping on the next Giochix kickstarter, if you're likely to need a lot of sleeves. They both make better sleeves than UltraPro at lower cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

I'd recommend bulk orders from Swan Panasia or jumping on the next Giochix kickstarter, if you're likely to need a lot of sleeves. They both make better sleeves than UltraPro at lower cost.

Swan Panasia doesn't appear to have sizes that match FFG, or at least FFG's Standard European size of 62x94 is not matched on their website. Does anyone have a link to BGGs card sleeve geeklist? Not sleeveyourgame as all they do is copy BGG's list.