Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redeyes posted:

Its been bothering me recently. I feel like I cant rely on their stuff anymore. I transferred my library from Gmusic to youtubewhatever and now its utterly broken. All i can say is the day they kill Voice is the day google is dead to me.

Uthor posted:

That day was July 1, 2013.

I really don't like using iOS much (based on the iPad I bought this year and use sporadically), but the iPhoneSE is sure tempting. iMessage already managed to gently caress me once, and I've only ever had it on one device that doesn't have access to my phone number!

redeyes posted:

I will never apple. Id rather bake my own than deal with losing my soul.

Rexxed posted:

The pinephone is going to have another preorder this month and runs https://postmarketos.org/ so it's time for linux on your phone-top.

redeyes posted:

I do actually need to get one of those for my kiddo that is balls deep in linux. I hope it isn't a POS.

it's amazing people still have this mindset in tyool 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

it's amazing people still have this mindset in tyool 2020

my linux phone

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

still think about the ubuntu phone now and again

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

didn mozilla firefux make one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is sailfish os still a thing?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
remember the freerunner? i do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

:rip:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the signature feature of the freerunner was that it could neither receive nor send phone calls

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the perfect phone for linux users

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

how did google get sound and microphone to work on android linux

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Last Chance posted:

java

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

very poorly, based on the latency

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Last Chance posted:

didn mozilla firefux make one

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KaiOS

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

dumped pulseaudio, wrapped alsa in a mandated more minimal api, wrote a new audio server (audioflinger) on top.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

dumped pulseaudio, wrapped alsa in a mandated more minimal api, wrote a new audio server (audioflinger) on top.

in other words, they took something that works and threw it out for some homerolled java garbage that had horrible latency. audio latency on android was abysmal for years and the issue was entirely in google's domain

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

in other words, they took something that works and threw it out for some homerolled java garbage that had horrible latency. audio latency on android was abysmal for years and the issue was entirely in google's domain

haha, "works"

i mean, now maybe, but in 2008 and the better part of the following decade pulseaudio, and even alsa itself, was a horrible clownshow.

if anything anyone serious about getting linux on the desktop would have done better to take aosp as the basis.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

haha, "works"

i mean, now maybe, but in 2008 and the better part of the following decade pulseaudio, and even alsa itself, was a horrible clownshow.

if anything anyone serious about getting linux on the desktop would have done better to take aosp as the basis.

if you are going to copy anything in the audio domain, you copy coreaudio, which is basically what pipewire is doing now

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

on topic for this thread, i got a new tv that uses anroid as the os

it's.... surprisingly not bad. not only is it the first smart tv that i've ever used where the interface wasn't a horrible laggy pile of poo poo that takes somewhere between 2 and 5 seconds to register a button press, but it's quicker than my old dumb tv. i dare say the ui even feels a little smoother than my appletv 4k

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The_Franz posted:

on topic for this thread, i got a new tv that uses anroid as the os

it's.... surprisingly not bad. not only is it the first smart tv that i've ever used where the interface wasn't a horrible laggy pile of poo poo that takes somewhere between 2 and 5 seconds to register a button press, but it's quicker than my old dumb tv. i dare say the ui even feels a little smoother than my appletv 4k

expect this to last a year at most before new android versions turn it into a janky freezy mess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you should've bough an LG, OP. webOS, the choice of champions

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

infernal machines posted:

you should've bough an LG, OP. webOS, the choice of champions

i thought about it, but the picture and general build quality of the sony seemed better. sony's local dimming algorithm in particular is much better. i don't use the smart stuff anyways and keep it disconnected from the internet aside from brief periods for firmware updates

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
if your tv has local dimming, that means it's not an oled, which means you bought the wrong tv

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

expect this to last a year at most before new android versions turn it into a janky freezy mess

lol at the implication that it'll get updated

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol at the implication that it'll get updated

my tv did, as far as I can tell all it did was move the ads further up the home screen which I fortunately never have to see

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
never connect your tv to the internet. your tv doesn’t need firmware updates, all that will do is put ads in.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

all that will do is put ads in.
not true! it will also turn on the mic and send information back about what youve been watching (and what youve been saying) for the company (and anyone it sells its data to) to use

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

never connect your tv to the internet. your tv doesn’t need firmware updates, all that will do is put ads in.

it did fix a cec issue I was having so it was worth it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i'm sad my old 55" non-smart tv has these slightly dark spots in the upper left corner. i really don't want to buy a smart tv, which i assume is pretty much all that's out there these days because the ads on the roku amazon fire tv horseshit subsidize the loving things.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

mine is getting all of the hdmi 2.1 features (4k 120hz and vrr) and atsc 3 tuner enabled by future firmware updates, so there is a point to them besides ads

i don't mind waiting on the hdmi 2.1 stuff as there are no consumer devices that support it yet, but the atsc 3 tuner would be nice, as there is a test station in the area that goes live occasionally

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the tvs that listened to you in your apartment were curiously presented as a Bad Thing in 1984 :thunk:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Management posted:

lol if you're not blocking ads at the router level

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeza4UNOm8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gracias, lo detestoy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

who needs a computer anymore

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I'm still using my old 60" plasma TV!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fallom posted:

who needs a computer anymore

certainly no one that buys one of those, if indeed they ever did

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

is it a pine??? is it a phone??

pine phone

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
trying out mobile firefox because, in a twist that literally nobody could have seen coming, google chrome started to randomly run like poo poo on my piece of poo poo google phone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

trying out mobile firefox because, in a twist that literally nobody could have seen coming, google chrome started to randomly run like poo poo on my piece of poo poo google phone

if it winds up not suiting your needs give edge a try, ultimately mostly the same codebase, but sometimes different enough to shift which bugs you experience in a positive direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I been using chredge on my pixel after chrome started running like absolute poo poo