Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

crispix posted:

This time he didn't even have to get the job

I think he just needs to be in proximity to something for it to turn to poo poo

To steal a quote I read this morning, only Chris Grayling could lose a rigged election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is this government malevolent or just entirely loving useless?

Yes.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

LiveNation has canceled all of its drive-in gigs coming up around the country. They cite an expected increase in local lockdowns across the country.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/six-the-musical-drive-in-tour-completely-cancelled_51979.html

LiveNation posted:

"The latest developments regarding localised lockdowns mean it has become impossible for us to continue with the series with any confidence."

The article is about Six the musical but other shows are being canceled as well. Maybe this is that cancel culture everyone has been talking about.

Meanwhile, the Mayor of Leicester is very keen to open 'er up again and is hoping the Hancocks "very important" update to ministers today at 5 is going to be an announcement to that effect. So, who is right? Will Hancock announce additional local lockdowns as LiveNation anticipate or will he open up Leicester and let all the garment sweatshops get back to operation.

As I was writing this Grammarly has let me know that the tone is "Joyful".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

How much crossover was there between the Panorama whistleblowers (who've been paid off) and the #labourleak "haha we actively undermined the Party" cunts?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

How much crossover was there between the Panorama whistleblowers (who've been paid off) and the #labourleak "haha we actively undermined the Party" cunts?

I seem to recall that Venn diagram is the clichéd circle.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Which ever goon got through a bag of skittles yesterday, well i bought a bag today so well done helping perpetuate capitalism :mad:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

bessantj posted:

Which ever goon got through a bag of skittles yesterday, well i bought a bag today so well done helping perpetuate capitalism :mad:

Nice one, hope you enjoy them :)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1283691458743205891?s=20

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

bessantj posted:

What variety? Original, Sour, Darkside or the weird imported Smoothie ones from B&M?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The goon knows not the meaning of "share bag"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Heath0X89/status/1283713215327805441?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

The goon knows not the meaning of "share bag"

This goon doesn't understand that term either.
What is a 'sharing bar' or 'sharing bag' of chocolate? I don't grok.
And don't EVER try to steal a chip off my plate because you only want a few. Want chips? Get your own darn plate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's sort of like when the chinese takeaway meal says "serves 3" on the box when you know drat well you're going to shovel the whole thing into your gullet and smear the hoisin sauce all over yourself and pretend you're a crispy duck.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Cereal boxes say a serving is 35g. Lol gently caress off

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/BWhytelaw/status/1237061781631258624

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
regular skittles seem to give me headaches for some reason. not sure what's going on there. i do like the sour ones though. i also have some fond memories of actually liking the mint ones though it is long enough ago that i can no longer confidently vouch for their edibility

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Angepain posted:

regular skittles seem to give me headaches for some reason. not sure what's going on there

They go in mouth, not up nose, op

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

I was legit wondering what happened to Dawn and if she'd be hosed by the graun going under. Good to see the answer is 'no, gently caress 'em'.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I hope she nicked as much as she could carry from their building as well

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Presumably the chairship of the committee is up to the committee and they can't fire him as an MP so for once our stupid-rear end system is actually working in a way boris can't just cheerfully ignore.

O Frabjous Day I guess.

there is one way around it that Rees-Mogg was not answering questions about this morning

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1283488150132862977

but that might be too late if they've declared the report be released by next week now

e: looks like they're just trying to get ahead of it now but deflecting with a 2019 attempt

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1283734264564023296

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 16, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

This may be the first time the Tories have appointed a qualified expert to head any committee. However, I don't think that they quite grasp that the Racial Inequality Commission is not looking for ways to increase it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Doccykins posted:

there is one way around it that Rees-Mogg was not answering questions about this morning

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1283488150132862977

but that might be too late if they've declared the report be released by next week now

e: looks like they're just trying to get ahead of it now but deflecting with a 2019 attempt

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1283734264564023296

So the plan is to just make out Labour was getting help from Russia.

Which doesn't make sense considering how angry Boris is. So am I misunderstanding what she's saying here?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Don't forget that the guy who was revealing that died a week before his conference on it.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1292080/famed-hacker-barnaby-jack-dies-week-hacking-convention

In fairness, mixing speedballs with diazepam will do that. Who the gently caress knows though

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

So the plan is to just make out Labour was getting help from Russia.

Which doesn't make sense considering how angry Boris is. So am I misunderstanding what she's saying here?

I don't think you're misunderstanding anything. The question is: why is this report supposedly showing signs of Russia interfering on Labour's behalf in 2019, when the Russia report was investigating interference into the 2017 General Election and Brexit referendum and it was completed before the 2019 GE?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The replies to Cohen's panhandling are a rare mix of being told to gently caress off by the left for sinking corbyn, and being told to gently caress off by the right for being 'woke'. It's pretty fun to see centrism reaping what it sows:

https://twitter.com/Doug_Hastings/status/1283528873909641216

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I see the Guardian's urgent appeal for aid. However they have spent years teaching me that one can't react to these things with an unquestioning, factional mentality, and must carefully consider both sides of the situation, so that is what I will do.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

Nice one, hope you enjoy them :)

I will but I'll curse my lack of willpower with each one I eat.

Dell_Zincht posted:

What variety? Original, Sour, Darkside or the weird imported Smoothie ones from B&M?

Its "no shell" which I had never seen before. They're not bad.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The guardian should have figured out How They Are Going To Pay For That

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

StarkingBarfish posted:

The replies to Cohen's panhandling are a rare mix of being told to gently caress off by the left for sinking corbyn, and being told to gently caress off by the right for being 'woke'. It's pretty fun to see centrism reaping what it sows:

It's impressive given our divided society that pretty much everyone agrees that the Guardian loving sucks.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

It's impressive given our divided society that pretty much everyone agrees that the Guardian loving sucks.

It's the Power of Centrism™️

More seriously, I can imagine the Radical Centrists in charge of the Guardian thinking thoughts such as, "the golden middle is inherently a compromise, and a good compromise leaves everyone mad, therefore if everyone hates us that must because we're right :smuggo:"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1283721480493314049?s=21

lol, this is going to be a trend for Spectator columnists, isn't it?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

pretty sure the guardian is sitting on a huge pile of cash, and will more likely just whittle down its staff until its just the comment is free people left, writing articles complaining that their romanian cleaner doesnt wipe her nose after she sneezes

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
gently caress the guardian and liberals in general.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jaete posted:

It's the Power of Centrism™️

More seriously, I can imagine the Radical Centrists in charge of the Guardian thinking thoughts such as, "the golden middle is inherently a compromise, and a good compromise leaves everyone mad, therefore if everyone hates us that must because we're right :smuggo:"

Honestly, takes some serious skill to end up being equally hated by both trans rights activists AND terfs.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1283721480493314049?s=21

lol, this is going to be a trend for Spectator columnists, isn't it?

Reminded me of an old tweet

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1197590898311344130?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, this Russia report is looking to be really loving bad for the Tories.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

pretty sure the guardian is sitting on a huge pile of cash, and will more likely just whittle down its staff until its just the comment is free people left, writing articles complaining that their romanian cleaner doesnt wipe her nose after she sneezes

Is that complaining about the cleaner not wiping their own nose, or the writer's?

Because honestly I wouldn't put either past comment is free.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Narrator: Nobody powerful faced any consequences.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is this government malevolent or just entirely loving useless?
The behaviour of the right wing in both the UK and the US in the last few years has been like they know the gig is up. They know the system they created is unsustainable, they know it's all about to get shut down or collapse, so they've switched to fire-sale mode and are all trying to see how much they can get away with and how much they can steal before either environmental disaster or civil protest takes it all away from them.

Honestly I think this phase has strung out much longer than any of them expected and now we're stuck in this weird hell of the political right seeing how far they can get away with pushing things before society breaks.

I don't think this is malevolence or incompetence, I think this is the 'movement behind the curtain' Matt Crispman of Chapo keeps talking about. We'll never really get to see what's going on back there or understand the nature of the best, but occasionally we do see shapes moving against the surface, every so often a brief glimpse as some disturbance lifts the hem of the curtain ever so slightly. The epstein trials, or the labour leaks, or Greensill.

In a weird way though it's a good thing that we're seeing things like this, because it shows that the government is losing control over both the events and the messaging right now. In most cases it unfortunately means next to nothing because the concept of political accountability died with David Cameron.

In web monetisation there is the concept of black hat & white hat (probably in a lot of other areas too, but that's where I heard it). As an example, a white hat site takes the time to build a good UI, good community, ethical ad policy and content that results in a site which is pleasant to use, and people will wsnt to spend time on and come back to.

Black hat sites will use clickbait to sucker people into clicking on a page of shambolic, ad and malware infested copy/paste from another site with popunders leading to other clickbait sites, and every dirty trick in the book.

Note that I said white hat site (singular) and black hat pages (plural), because the thing about black hat sites is that they are not built to be revisited. It doesn't matter if you block the domain because the url was never made to be remembered, it was autogenerated by a script somewhere, which then spammed it onto a few hacked social media accounts and moved on to generate a new one. In the time it takes to build up and make money from one white hat site, a black hat script kid will have written something that can throw out hundreds of clickbait pages.

Gaming is another good example, where you can either take time crafting unique assets for something like GTA Online, or you can rush out a couple of hundred lovely match 3 clones in half the time and make ten times the money.

The difference between white and black hats (yes the term is stupid but it's the one I'm familiar with) is the difference between Corbyn and the tories. Corbynism was about building a better country through sustainability and long-term investment. Thatcherism was always about selling off the country for a profit and then investing it in your mates businesses.

At the start of this rant I had this thought that the tories were acting like it's all going to be over soon, but I think that too is part of the game. They drain all they can from the country, getting more venal and corrupt as they do so, until we reach a point where it has got bad enough that the dickheads finally ignore the Sun and Mail and vote Labour.

Then Labour try and rebuild, try and get rid of the deficet (white hat). And while out of power the tories reap the benefits of all the scams they ran while in power, all of the companies now giving them consultancy fees and directorships.

Eventually the public forget. They forgot how nakedly evil they were back in the 80s and early nineties. The press ramps up its support of the tory party because of course it loving does, they're all married to or appointed by tories. A number of economic bombs go off, like things the tories buy with PFI which gently caress Labour budgets up after they've gone.

And they get back into power just as Labour pays off the deficet, only to run it back up with insane giveaways to their friends in business.

It's a pattern we're going to see over and over, because now instead of Corbyn fixing the country we'll have at best sir Keith Haircut QC wringing his hands and being all forensic at PMQT while hundreds die as a result of tory incompetence.

E: Haircut is trying to invent the concept of grey hat, and it's failing hilariously because he refuses to build for the future like a white hat, but refuses to lower himself to the exploitative techniques of black hats. So he just sits there, a meaningless grey blob, doing nothing. Also the hat is a fedora.

Dell_Zincht posted:

I haven't bothered with skittles in years, then the wife bought a bag of giant skittles the other day and now I want them all the time, they're amazing.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The guardian does do good investigational journalism some times. It's problem is it fills the rafters with absolute guff at all other times.

I'd probably consider paying for it if I wasn't also paying for think pieces about the price of haluumi and the terrible cut backs upper middle class people have to make just to get by.