Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Big IPAs are like heavily peated whiskies in that they do not play well with most other flavors, particularly anything nuanced. I enjoy both but trying them together will generally be unpleasant.

Depends. I had a fairly fruity double IPA I made with Amarilla, Belma, and Citra, then about an hour or so later poured some Laphroaig 10. I got all toast and vanilla bomb, with a touch of smoke. Zero iodine or eucalyptus. It wasn't bad, but it was astoundingly different. Even having some of my Pilsner first reduces the medicinal notes. For me, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Peaty scotch and chocolate chip cookies is such an insane combination. I don't remember where I first read about it but it's so drat good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I know YMMV but I've found that bourbon goes really well with black licorice.

I got my bottle of Talisker 10, and it's amazing. I can totally get what reviewers say about the taste reminding them of a salty ocean spray. It's really good, but I'm afraid I won't find it at the $50 deal I got it for ever again. It's my first peaty whisky, and I was afraid it would have the sharp burning swallow of Johnnie Walker Black, but it's not there at all. I wouldn't call it smooth, but it doesn't hurt going down either.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Peaty scotch and chocolate chip cookies is such an insane combination. I don't remember where I first read about it but it's so drat good.

Can confirm

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I will die on the "OGD BiB is the best bang for your buck on the market" hill.

The ugly orange label keeps people away and I like it like that.

I know it’s a little hyped (though not as much as it should be) but Dickel BiB is probably my favorite right now and it’s equally cheap. Just picked up a bottle of the 2019 and 2020 for $38 each today. It’s not readily available in a lot of places though. I buy literally every bottle I see when I travel.

$38 for a 13 or 11 year BiB is a crazy deal.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I have a $50 bill burning a hole in my pocket, what should I spend it on? Here’s what I’m seeing around town:

Kirkland 22 year sherry finish single malt ($80)

a 15 year knob creek store pick ($48)

Redbreast lustau ($64)

an older packaging Springbank 15 ($91)

Glendronach 15 backup bottle(mines about half gone, $100)

Jack Daniels single barrel barrel proof Total Wine store pick ($65 think)

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Id go 1 cause i love sherry finished whiskey or 2

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Store picks, if they let you try them right now and the store has a good picker, are always solid choices.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I vote for the springbank or the red breast. Those prices are CHEAP though. I can't find springbank for under $100

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Lowness 72 posted:

I vote for the springbank or the red breast. Those prices are CHEAP though. I can't find springbank for under $100

This bottle has been sitting on the shelf for a long time in a bit of an out of the way shop. It’s got old packaging and so I’m sure it’s an old price before price jumped and before tariffs.

It’s a tough call, I found out the knob creek was cleared, so down to the other choices. I’m leaning the Kirkland, but I’ve always heard good things about springbank, just don’t know if I’ll like it and that’s more than I like to spend on a gamble.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Man I’d take the springbank, it’s been a while since I had it but those were p. good bottlings back when

What kinda whisky do you like otherwise?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I have a $50 bill burning a hole in my pocket, what should I spend it on? Here’s what I’m seeing around town:

Redbreast lustau ($64)

That Knob Creek store pick is really an unbeatable deal, and the single barrel program may not be offering those super old bottles forever.

That Sprinfbank 15 also sounds cool, though.

Personally, I would buy both, but that's how I ended up with an unreasonable amount of whiskey on hand.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Redbreast lustau ($64)

Definitely redbreast for that money. It's a steal.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I went to costco today with every intention of buying that 22 yo Kirkland scotch, but they were out!

Went to the shop that had the KC store pick and they didn’t have any on the shelf. Asked if they had any stashed away and lo and behold, they aren’t putting them on the shelf anymore, but had like 6 cases for people who asked.

$49.99, feels good man.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Found a bottle of Wee Beastie so decided to do sub-100 proof islays this week for my blind flight.

Port Charlotte 10
Ardbeg Wee Beastie
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Lagavulin 8

Quarter cask was the winner purely for the balance of oak, vanilla, saltiness, sweetness and smoke
Wee Beastie and PC10 both held their own, each highlighting different aspects, but the charry-woodfire smoke flavor in the QC just beat them out.
There's some really nice bourbon-like notes in the oakiness of the PC10 (remiscent of compass box spice tree which I re-tasted a few weeks ago in the virtual tasting) the beast is just a piney-vanilla-pepper smoke bomb with very little oak probably due to the age and cask blend. I started the tasting with the Ardbeg at #2 but I swapped them when my glasses were nearly empty
The lagavulin is just disappointing. It is just too floral, almost resiny/hoppy, and a bit too upfront and unsubtle with the smoke. There's more fruitiness to this than the others but it's overshadowed by that off-putting bitterness
Unfortunately the lagavulin 8 was also so much lighter it was obvious which of the bunch it was, but I feel like was still able to objectively put it last

Gonna have to have a go with my >100 proof peat bombs sometime soon and see if the QC holds up against those (in its cairdeas cask strength form)

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Your reports are always interesting, thanks!

Disappointing to hear this about the Laga 8 because I recently bought a bottle at a pretty good discount.

Other notable additions:

Ardbeg TEN
Laphroaig QC
Glenfarclas 105
Aberlour 12

All at a great price. I am a pretty happy camper right now.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
I always felt that the Laga 8 is much more peppery + flowery than the Laga 16. It's far from being as good as the 16, but it's not a bad whisky by any sense of the imagination.

I just went to a whisky bar in town for the first time with a good friend and collegue last night. So I got to try a few things I had not tried and probably can't afford mostly.

Octomore 10 years: what an absolutely beautifully smoky and velvety smooth whisky!
Ardbeg Uiegedail: I thought this was actually smokier than the Octomore in a way. Very good whisky without a doubt, it still has those Ardbeg notes that are to die for
Yamazaki (I believe it was the 12): Surprisingly scottish for a japanese whisky. It's good but not fantastic for my palette. Compared to the Octomore and Ardbeg it was quite anonymous in a way.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

abske_fides posted:

I always felt that the Laga 8 is much more peppery + flowery than the Laga 16. It's far from being as good as the 16, but it's not a bad whisky by any sense of the imagination.

Right, its not bad by any stretch, just disappointing relative to the others

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
The Laga Distiller's edition that came out this year is also fantastic. To my palette it was a slight minty flavour which I've never gotten in any Laga I've had the pleasure to try although I know a lot of people comment exactly on that in 16.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Tried a basil julep today, just what it sounds like. I can't say the flavors don't pair, OGD100 + fresh basil from the garden but I probably wouldn't choose it over a mint julep. But if you don't like mint and do like basil, might be for you.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

wormil posted:

Tried a basil julep today, just what it sounds like. I can't say the flavors don't pair, OGD100 + fresh basil from the garden but I probably wouldn't choose it over a mint julep. But if you don't like mint and do like basil, might be for you.

I’ve been enjoying the ‘whiskey smash’ lately, which scratches the refreshing and minty itch if anyone DOES enjoy mint.

Put 1/4 of a lemon chopped into 3-4 pieces + maybe 4-5 sprigs of mint into a cocktail mixer glass thing, muddle well to release juices.

Add 1 oz simple syrup, 2 ounces bourbon. Fill remainder of mixer with ice.

Shake it up good

Pour through a strainer into a glass filled with ice.

Enjoy a minty, lemony, refreshing summer cocktail!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

A basil julep sounds interesting and I may do it just because I have a shitton of basil growing in the garden.

Okay now someone recommend some zucchini-based cocktails before I am smothered to death by it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

DoctaFun posted:

I’ve been enjoying the ‘whiskey smash’ lately, which scratches the refreshing and minty itch if anyone DOES enjoy mint.

Put 1/4 of a lemon chopped into 3-4 pieces + maybe 4-5 sprigs of mint into a cocktail mixer glass thing, muddle well to release juices.

Shake it up good

That sounds really good and I will be trying this today

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't have any zucchini drink recipes but I've made a few with cucumbers which we are getting by the buckets, none with whiskey though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Shake it up good

This sounds incredible.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Enigma posted:

That sounds really good and I will be trying this today

Trip report: it is excellent

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Enigma posted:

Trip report: it is excellent

+1
Can confirm.

I didn't have any fresh lemons so I squeezed half a lime + a squirt of store bought lemon juice, and a shaker instead of muddling. Delish. I bets it's even better with fresh lemon.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Glad you goons enjoyed it! It is officially the only cocktail I know how to make, well that and a basic old fashioned I guess.

I have enough lemon left for one more smash and I’m saving it for when I don’t have an 8 AM meeting the next day.

Ran out of WT101 for these the other night and had to make one with some makers cask strength. Was very good, but I prefer the WT.

Oh! I also make an old fashioned the other day with muddled peach in it, and it was great and summery as well! I think I may enjoy fruits in old fashioneds more than others though, a lot of purists out there I know.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got a half a bottle of Chivas Regal I don't really care for straight. Any good scotch-based cocktails out there aside from penicillin and sours?

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Toebone posted:

I've got a half a bottle of Chivas Regal I don't really care for straight. Any good scotch-based cocktails out there aside from penicillin and sours?

Maybe a Rusty Nail (if you like Drambuie), a Blood and Sand, or just a whisky highball, which would make the taste milder and be more refreshing in summer?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

DoctaFun posted:

Glad you goons enjoyed it! It is officially the only cocktail I know how to make, well that and a basic old fashioned I guess.

It's basically a mint julep with lemon. That's not to detract from how good it is, but rather to say that whether you realize it or not you basically already know how to make a mint julep.

Mint julep is simple syrup, mint, muddle to bruise leaves, top of with crushed ice and 2 oz bourbon, stir, drink, repeat.

Probably my favorite cocktail though is a man o' war:

2 oz bourbon
1 oz triple sec
0.5 oz sweet red vermouth
0.5 oz lime lemon juice

Shake with ice, strain. Add a Luxardo cherry if you're feeling fancy.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 18, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

On the off chance that anyone lives in or knows the area, any good liquor stores in Lincoln/Omaha/Des Moines? Gonna be out that way next week, and wouldn't mind making a pit stop or two for decent bottles.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DoctaFun posted:

I have enough lemon left for one more smash and I’m saving it for when I don’t have an 8 AM meeting the next day.

Ran out of WT101 for these the other night and had to make one with some makers cask strength. Was very good, but I prefer the WT.

Oh! I also make an old fashioned the other day with muddled peach in it, and it was great and summery as well! I think I may enjoy fruits in old fashioneds more than others though, a lot of purists out there I know.

I used Woodford which is rye heavy and it works well which makes me think a RR rye version would be really good.

Drinking an OGD100 old fashioned right now and it's not bad. I like fruit in drinks so I might try that.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Toebone posted:

Mix with club soda and lots of ice in a high ball glass, tastes like cream soda for adults. Dewars And soda is even better.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

GEEKABALL posted:

Mix with club soda and lots of ice in a high ball glass, tastes like cream soda for adults. Dewars And soda is even better.

Yep, it’s Highball Season (at least in the northern hemisphere??)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What's a good scotch for highball drinking?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lowness 72 posted:

What's a good scotch for highball drinking?

I quite enjoy white label tbh. It's my go to for long scotch drinks or hot toddys.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I've been making a lot of highballs with Cutty Sark Prohibition this summer (not regular Cutty Sark, which is awful; Prohibition is 50% abv and actually good). Usually somewhere around a 1:2 ratio with soda and a lemon peel garnish.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've always found Japanese whisky to work very well in a highball although they're too expensive for that nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Enigma posted:

It's basically a mint julep with lemon. That's not to detract from how good it is, but rather to say that whether you realize it or not you basically already know how to make a mint julep.

Mint julep is simple syrup, mint, muddle to bruise leaves, top of with crushed ice and 2 oz bourbon, stir, drink, repeat.

Probably my favorite cocktail though is a man o' war:

2 oz bourbon
1 oz triple sec
0.5 oz sweet red vermouth
0.5 oz lime juice

Shake with ice, strain. Add a Luxardo cherry if you're feeling fancy.

No bitters?