Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kidcoelacanth posted:

No brother moment will ever top the dry pasta prank.

That is still the most insane thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I have to wonder if they chose that question just to reveal that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kidcoelacanth posted:

No brother moment will ever top the dry pasta prank.

THE PRESTIGE!!!

Kazy posted:

I have to wonder if they chose that question just to reveal that.

They had to, either knowing Griffon would go 'haha like at Olive Garden, weird' or if he didn't they could just go 'hey Griffon remember when we were kids...'

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
New TAZ this week due to maxfun drive. I forgot they did that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am so envious of the people who paid $40 to be there that night, not knowing that they were getting the deal of a lifetime.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/1283823050962669568

I'm a little morbidly curious to see how/if they'll address Graduation's poor reception.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Props to whoever predicted that Argo wanted to work for the Commodore so he could kill them, turns out you were right!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

made it to the justin episode, and every improv in hey riddle riddle ends with gunshots. i really appreciate that as someone who cannot do improv because it makes it more relatable to know that even professionals have no loving idea how to bail out of bits

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Well that TAZ sucked.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the part where Travis tells PCs what they say, then topping it off with how they feel.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I liked the part where Travis tells PCs what they say, then topping it off with how they feel.

He learned well from Griffin!

One day I'll listen to Graduation but I trailed off somewhere around episode 4.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

SpacePig posted:

As the 3 get a bit more comfortable performing together, he gets closer to his natural state of just saying bad puns, stepping on improv, and frustrating his partners with bad premises.

He's usually not bad, I'm being a bit hyperbolic calling him exactly Travis, but he's absolutely the Travis of the show. At his worst, he's everything I don't like about both Travis McElroy and Scott Aukerman.

Why are you crying?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

um excuse me posted:

I actually thought it was neat how he used that for dramatic effect. Normally it's a bad DMing habit, but in this specific instance it made sense that the players would feel disconnected from their characters.

Not that I thought this episode was great. It had some long overdue reveals that were done in the most boring way imaginable, and although I'm not sure how else he could have executed that particular scenario, I'm really sick of all the party-splitting.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was fine with it because it's essentially a bonus episode.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Shinjobi posted:

I was fine with it because it's essentially a bonus episode.

It's true. Though it's funny, in a way, that what should have been a nonstandard episode format was actually still pretty close to standard procedure.

Also I'm looking at some of the #TTAZZ questions on Twitter and some of them are pretty savage:

https://twitter.com/blrdnames2/status/1283830683417423876
https://twitter.com/Mr_Dude_Sky/status/1284107003112165376

I've also seen several mentioning that the centaur arc (and some of the Fir Bolg stuff) involved some "white savior" tropes, which hadn't occurred to me at the time but yeah, I can see it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I feel like if this is the stuff they are going to get in terms of fan response then they should just hire a writer to full-time handle the story and never bother personally running a campaign ever again.

Like, I understand wanting more out of the campaign and finding fault with Travis's DMing, but if you're turning to the family of white men who wanted to try a roundtable approach to crafting these stories for your perfect narratives you hosed up long before they did.

People get so goddamn catty with this poo poo like Travis McElroy is actively trying to just poo poo out his story to piss off their fanbase. No, he had an idea, he's trying to make it work. If it does, great, if not, he needs to know why it isn't and being a dick about it solves nothing. I am so worn out by the hyperbolic negativity whenever anything isn't handled with pitch perfect execution.

I would bet Travis is gonna feel like an idiot when someone points out the white savior stuff. It looks pretty bad in hindsight, and it'll be something I think he tries to avoid moving forward.

In summation, breaking news: Twitter loving sucks rear end.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Fred is on posted:

https://twitter.com/blrdnames2/status/1283830683417423876
https://twitter.com/Mr_Dude_Sky/status/1284107003112165376

I've also seen several mentioning that the centaur arc (and some of the Fir Bolg stuff) involved some "white savior" tropes, which hadn't occurred to me at the time but yeah, I can see it.

Centaurs aren’t real. And I don’t think any of the main characters have been described as white. Argo is a fish and firbolg is a firbolg.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Glad I don't have the complete lack of self-awareness that leads to trying to get in my dunks on someone's work directly to their face like some kind of rear end in a top hat

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I haven't listened to TAZ in months but those tweets seem disproportionately mean

edit: it would be funny if the TAZ account blocked those fools

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Squack McQuack posted:

Centaurs aren’t real. And I don’t think any of the main characters have been described as white. Argo is a fish and firbolg is a firbolg.

Ehhhhh, I can see the criticism, though. The Centaurs aren't exactly the typical cliche of "mystic natives" or whatever, but the plot in play involved an outside force being brought in to save two spiritually opposed tribes from their mistaken conflict. I don't think it's the biggest reach.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

are there TAZ fans that still think blue skin for an elf is anti-semetic

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Shinjobi posted:

In summation, breaking news: Twitter loving sucks rear end.

Sorry, those tweets I posted aren't really a representative sample at all. Most are fairly positive, but the ones I posted I picked because they echoed sentiments expressed in this thread. Even the ones about white savior tropes seemed to be approaching them in good faith (mostly) since the boys have a pretty good track record about these things.

Squack McQuack posted:

Centaurs aren’t real.

Fantasy races in fiction, especially tabletop games, have a long history of being (granted, rarely intentional) allegorical vehicles for tropes reflecting real-life racist dynamics. But I guess you're right, if it's fiction it doesn't count!

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 17, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

centaurs aren't real i tell myself as i watch the original cut of fantasia

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alaois posted:

*google*

holy moly

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

*google*

holy moly

Song of the South ain't the only thing Disney's locked in the "DON'T OPEN: RACISM INSIDE" box

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Alaois posted:

Yipes. See, that's a clear example of a fake species being used as a racial stereotype. They're depicted as minstrel show characters with horse legs.

I don't think that's what's happening in TAZ. Yeah the centaurs are a spiritual people who are close to nature, but I don't think it's fair to call that a racial stereotype or "white savior trope." If they were smoking peace pipes and putting their hands over their mouths and going "awawawawawa" then it would be a different story.

Give them the benefit of the doubt. They have bent over backwards time and time again for their fans' sensitivities. And they just keep on catching criticism despite their best efforts.

Squack McQuack fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 17, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what i do know about centaurs from past MBMBAM episodes is that humans will create their own attempt at centaurs who will yell OHHHHH YES OATS ME DAWG

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
For sale: baby dice, never rolled

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

RandomFerret posted:

I am so envious of the people who paid $40 to be there that night, not knowing that they were getting the deal of a lifetime.

I was one of those people, it was incredible. It didn't make it into the podcast, but at the beginning Clint came out to do "The McElroy Brothers are not experts" and he messed it up so bad. They were yelling at him from offstage, Travis was like, "It's sexpert!" It was hilarious.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's commonly speculated that centaurs are a mythologization of steppe horse archers, so in a way, they are kind of a classic racial other

that said, those tweets are mean and travis should by no means respond to them lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alaois posted:

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Orcs aren’t real, which is why it’s fine for them to be wild savages from far off lands
Goblins aren’t real, which is why it’s okay for them to be hook nosed bankers

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Lol I never said it’s impossible for fictional species to be used as stereotypes. My point is that sending a human, a forest giant, and a fish man to help a centaur tribe is a far cry from a white savior trope.

Also I haven’t listened to latest episode so if it includes something egregious like a magical black man, well then oopsie on my part.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Argo says The Legend of Bagger Vance is his favorite movie

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Squack McQuack posted:

Lol I never said it’s impossible for fictional species to be used as stereotypes. My point is that sending a human, a forest giant, and a fish man to help a centaur tribe is a far cry from a white savior trope.

Also I haven’t listened to latest episode so if it includes something egregious like a magical black man, well then oopsie on my part.

fitzroy is a half-elf

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Except it isn't, because 'the educated, civilized people being the only ones who can bring peace to these warring natives who can't see how pointless their conflict is' is a trope that comes directly from white savior poo poo. Even if you replace all the people involved with fantasy bullshit, just the implications of civilization vs. native continues and reaffirms racist ideology.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Squack McQuack posted:

I get what you're saying, but "[fantasy race] aren't real" is a dumb argument and you shot yourself in the foot making it.

It's not an egregious thing, probably only a 5 or 6 on the Yikes-O-Meter (1 being water chestnut jokes and 10 being the original cut of Fantasia) but that doesn't mean it's not worth talking about. And as I said, it's not like the people asking about it on Twitter were actually raising a stink about it, though I realize now that mentioning the white savior trope stuff after posting some really mean-spirited tweets made it seem that way.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The 7th Guest posted:

are there TAZ fans that still think blue skin for an elf is anti-semetic

Green. It was green skin that was anti-semitic because witches had green skin and all witches were actually jews. Blue skin’s fine

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was also basically one person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Fairly sure this live presentation of the graphic novel doesn't have chat on because half the TAZ fans are just awful/ weird as gently caress.