Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I had the Enhanced Autopilot trial enabled during one of my long trips. The lane change & navigate on Autopilot features were pretty bad; lane changes were VERY slow, half-hearted, and canceled 1/3 of the time even in perfectly clear conditions. It would take off-ramps at 20 mph UNDER the speed limit. I don't think you're missing much at the moment.

When was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Oh I don't want it to change lanes for me. Right now if you hit your signal indicator it just dumps you out of AP. I just want AP to resume automatically after I complete the lane change. It's a minor thing but on a long drive I will pass a lot.

Gotcha. I agree that it's weird you have to tap-tap again after finishing a lane change instead of automatically resuming after completing it.

Edit:

Wibla posted:

When was this?

Late December 2018. I've been reading up on Tesla Motors Club forums enough lately that it's hardly improved since then.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 16, 2020

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't know, a friend of mine has FSD and he says the opposite. The lane change stuff is fairly assertive and functions well now. He is pretty pissed about Smart Summon being utterly useless though. He was demonstrating it for me and even as a party trick its really unimpressive. Apparently its functionality has actually been getting worse over time for some reason. Their weird auto parallel park thing is way too limited in the scenarios you can use it too.

I will never buy FSD unless they tie it into a subscription with AP or something. The fact that it's tied to the car instead of account based really bugs me considering the obscene cost. I would think they would want to make it some sort of account based subscription, helps keep people buying future cars in the brand.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lane changes, on/off ramp curves, and complex exit navigation (left at the first fork then right at the second one, etc) have very noticeably improved recently. I absolutely do not trust it to merge or let people in, but that's less due to its performance and more due to me not wanting it to make me look like an rear end in a top hat.

It's worth giving it another shot.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The Gunslinger posted:

I will never buy FSD unless they tie it into a subscription with AP or something. The fact that it's tied to the car instead of account based really bugs me considering the obscene cost. I would think they would want to make it some sort of account based subscription, helps keep people buying future cars in the brand.

It's not even tied to the car, really. If you buy FSD and sell the car the FSD will be removed and the new buyer will have to purchase it again. But it looks like they are going to start offering FSD as a subscription service at some point.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

McPhearson posted:

It's not even tied to the car, really. If you buy FSD and sell the car the FSD will be removed and the new buyer will have to purchase it again. But it looks like they are going to start offering FSD as a subscription service at some point.

The people who fall all over themselves in the Jalopnik comment section to explain that Tesla isn’t the bad guy and that this is an acceptable business practice are displaying some impressive mental gymnastics.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I bought an EV! Got a 2012 Leaf with a poop battery (7 out of 12 bars) for $3500. I already ruined it.

I drove it from Tiburon to Santa Rosa, a roughly 46-mile trip. Mostly highway, but a third is on back roads. The estimated range when I started was 44 miles. I stopped once and used a Blink charger in Petaluma. Easy process, I started the charger from the app. It only took me up to 70% charge (from 30% when I got there) and then stopped without giving me an error. Wouldn't charge anymore, I tried both plugs and neither would do it. I assume it's because the battery is such a dud and the car got scared. Anyway, it got me up to 31 miles of dubiously estimated range with 20 miles left to go. I have AAA so I said 'gently caress it'. Made it with 11 miles range to spare.

Then the dismantling began. The Leaf shall die, so the Alfa can live.

I'll use this battery for testing and make a proper one later with better cells.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The people who fall all over themselves in the Jalopnik comment section to explain that Tesla isn’t the bad guy and that this is an acceptable business practice are displaying some impressive mental gymnastics.

So explain your position on why its a bad business practice. I'm curious to hear your thoughts. :)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

gwrtheyrn posted:

I can count on one finger how many times I've done that in the last 5 years. Not saying it's not good, just I don't make that kind of trip a lot where it's a gamechanger, and on a ~120 mile range vehicle it's not like I'm looking to make those kind of trips

You're in the Seattle area, right?

This place has a fuckton of Leafs in stock, they're pretty easy to deal with and don't forget WA doesn't charge sales tax on EVs at the moment.

Test drive one and see if you like it, the bad thermal management on the battery is much less of an issue in the PNW than it would be elsewhere, and the 8 year/100kmi battery warranty follows the car, I found the prices to be unbeatable compared to a similar condition/year used ICE in the same class.

E: the attached VW dealer had at least one eGolf when I was there, so you might be able to do a twofer on test drives!

EE: yup, they have a '16 eGolf in stock.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 16, 2020

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

You're in the Seattle area, right?

Roughly yeah. The golf is 2016 like all the others I've found so it's only like 87 miles range which is a little too short. Leafs are super easy to find, so that's not really a huge problem, but the potential battery issues aren't really appealing if I can get something else for a similar price.

No sales tax up to certain price thresholds...then you get your $600 annual tabs and wonder if it was all worth it :v:, Well more like $300 since I'm not in the RTA area

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

So explain your position on why its a bad business practice. I'm curious to hear your thoughts. :)

You bought a car with advertised features, and Tesla decides after the fact that you don’t get to keep them, despite it being in direct conflict with what they’ve told people.

In one instance a poster says Tesla took off the underlining which signifies Ludicrous mode.

This is contrary to how the car market has operated for its entirety and not in a good way.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

It's not made clear it doesn't stay with the car, people have purchased cars that have FSD on the window sticker and then it's taken away (which would have factored into the purchase price), and it's the only thing you can pay thousands more for which now won't help you on resale. Those are the obvious factors, then you can add in that people have paid for it, owned the car for four years, never had a chance to use it (because it will never exist), and now don't even get the benefits when they sell the car.
Musk has also drastically walked back his FSD claims in that now he considers it complete if the car could theoretically have a chance of driving across the country (got to realize that FSD revenue to post a profit), but realistically it's never going to arrive for any Tesla with the current hardware.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just don’t understand how are people ok with this.

lol,

*unplugged seat belt buckle taps pillar*
:kingsley: RETURN THE CAR :kingsley:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

It's not made clear it doesn't stay with the car, people have purchased cars that have FSD on the window sticker and then it's taken away (which would have factored into the purchase price), and it's the only thing you can pay thousands more for which now won't help you on resale. Those are the obvious factors, then you can add in that people have paid for it, owned the car for four years, never had a chance to use it (because it will never exist), and now don't even get the benefits when they sell the car.
Musk has also drastically walked back his FSD claims in that now he considers it complete if the car could theoretically have a chance of driving across the country (got to realize that FSD revenue to post a profit), but realistically it's never going to arrive for any Tesla with the current hardware.

I can’t understand how Tesla can continue to sell vaporware for a car that it will never deliver on. Well, I can, but I don’t understand how it’s allowed by regulatory agencies. If you paid up for FSD and the car is totaled in a fire, you’re not getting any extra money on your total loss settlement and Tesla won’t refund you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

gwrtheyrn posted:

Roughly yeah. The golf is 2016 like all the others I've found so it's only like 87 miles range which is a little too short. Leafs are super easy to find, so that's not really a huge problem, but the potential battery issues aren't really appealing if I can get something else for a similar price.

No sales tax up to certain price thresholds...then you get your $600 annual tabs and wonder if it was all worth it :v:, Well more like $300 since I'm not in the RTA area

Lol, I had to pay the whole ~$700, then got a refund check from the State for ~$400 like a month later, thanks to the inane way tabs work in this State.

The eGolf is still air cooled AFAIK, still supposed to be a little better at it than the Leaf though, and there's no problems like there are with the 30kW battery.

We should see a much more abundant selection of used EVs in the next couple years, WA just followed CA's mandate for a minimum% of EVs sold.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

I've bought two cars from these folks. They specialize in used EVs. Super nice to do business with.
https://www.paramountmotorsnw.com/home

Looks like they have a '17 Ionic EV in stock that might suit your needs.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Elviscat posted:

The eGolf is still air cooled AFAIK, still supposed to be a little better at it than the Leaf though, and there's no problems like there are with the 30kW battery.

Checking out this site, it seems like <2015 is where things get really bad for the leaf, while 2016 and onwards is 'only' about 2.5% a year so far, where the 2017 golf is around 1.5%. VW claims that the cooling has not much of an effect on longetivity, and i've seen people claim that the nissan leaf's battery issues were primarily chemistry issues. I'll keep both on my radar

RZA Encryption posted:

I've bought two cars from these folks. They specialize in used EVs. Super nice to do business with.
https://www.paramountmotorsnw.com/home

Looks like they have a '17 Ionic EV in stock that might suit your needs.

Not looking to buy in the next 3 months at minimum, but I'll bookmark this for future use. Thanks

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I can’t understand how Tesla can continue to sell vaporware for a car that it will never deliver on. Well, I can, but I don’t understand how it’s allowed by regulatory agencies. If you paid up for FSD and the car is totaled in a fire, you’re not getting any extra money on your total loss settlement and Tesla won’t refund you.

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't keep up with tesla news too much because it's like 70% :argh: but didn't they back down from the whole 'remove FSD from sold cars' although only after it was plastered all over social media? Also, wouldn't you get FSD on your insurance claim if it was totaled as long as you ordered the car with it and it was put on the window sticker? I'd guess anything you pay for afterwards through the tesla app or w/e you'd probably just get hosed on, but I would hope the as-delivered configuration would be covered since it has a documented cost.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tesla's false promises via future updates is unfortunately a trend other manufacturers are trying to copy.

In a few years, most auto companies will have OTA updates in their cars, and we'll look back, and miss that we used to have feature complete cars when we bought them. It's just like how awesome games were in the 90s.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Elmnt80 posted:

Tesla has failed to articulate what an FSD purchase entitles you to. It doesn’t follow the driver to a new car, but also doesn’t always stay with the car when it’s sold. They’ve intentionally created a customer unfriendly model because it allows them the most freedom to make money from a product that they’ve been selling for years that doesn’t even exist.

Moving to a subscription model at least provides clarity but moves even closer to “car as a service” models that are frankly heinous and stupid.

Oh, and of course the extortionate practice of ramping up the price on FSD constantly to try and force people to buy early despite the fact that it still doesn’t exist.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 16, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't keep up with tesla news too much because it's like 70% :argh: but didn't they back down from the whole 'remove FSD from sold cars' although only after it was plastered all over social media? Also, wouldn't you get FSD on your insurance claim if it was totaled as long as you ordered the car with it and it was put on the window sticker? I'd guess anything you pay for afterwards through the tesla app or w/e you'd probably just get hosed on, but I would hope the as-delivered configuration would be covered since it has a documented cost.

An insurance claim only reimburses you for actual losses suffered. You don’t actually own a car with FSD at the time of the loss, because it doesn’t exist, so how do you prove the value?

There’s an even bigger wrinkle if you buy it later, because that could be considered custom parts and equipment and US auto insurance typically only covers $1k of that without purchasing additional insurance.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

An insurance claim only reimburses you for actual losses suffered. You don’t actually own a car with FSD at the time of the loss, because it doesn’t exist, so how do you prove the value?

There’s an even bigger wrinkle if you buy it later, because that could be considered custom parts and equipment and US auto insurance typically only covers $1k of that without purchasing additional insurance.

Is this a thing that has actually happened or is this wild speculation?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is this a thing that has actually happened or is this wild speculation?

The 2nd part is dependent on your policy contract. I suggest you read it, most people don’t and it can set you up for some surprises.

The 1st part is just industry standard. Unless you have a replacement cost policy (if you’re not sure, you don’t have one) every US policy is actual cash value. While heated seats or a sunroof are tangible items that add some value and move with the car, how do you put a price on a software flag that doesn’t stay with the car?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Tesla has failed to articulate what an FSD purchase entitles you to. It doesn’t follow the driver to a new car, but also doesn’t always stay with the car when it’s sold. They’ve intentionally created a customer unfriendly model because it allows them the most freedom to make money from a product that they’ve been selling for years that doesn’t even exist.

Moving to a subscription model at least provides clarity but moves even closer to “car as a service” models that are frankly heinous and stupid.

Oh, and of course the extortionate practice of ramping up the price on FSD constantly to try and force people to buy early despite the fact that it still doesn’t exist.

https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot

Seems to me that Tesla has very clearly articulated the differences between Autopilot and FSD.
Beyond that, older Model S/X/3 with FSD get their autopilot computers upgraded to HW3, as Tesla figured out that the older HW2 does not fulfill the processing needs to actually provide FSD features.

FSD stays with the car if sold privately. If you trade it in to Tesla, they're free to do whatever they want with the car after it is in their possession, including removing or adding software-controlled features like FSD, free Supercharging and performance modes.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Honestly, it's kind of a scum gently caress move as it is to double dip on FSD by stripping it out of their own used car sales. They used to (not sure if still common practice) still factor the depreciation from the FSD msrp. Not anywhere near the worst practice in the biz, but I could understand being annoyed with it, unfortunately it's ultimately their choice. Don't buy used through Tesla if you don't like it. The people who bought used through dealerships and had it stripped on registering their cars got it back though.

Tesla really needs to define the FSD upgrade is supposed to work in general. As an account option, yeah that's pretty sweet to have a lifetime upgrade on any Tesla you drive. Bound to a car, eh, much harder sell.

One of my coworkers just bought a new model 3. For giggles I decided to take a look around it from the outside. Had a single panel with a weird alignment issue on the panel between the trunk and passenger side rear door. Otherwise, pretty well put together. And no, I'm not going to pour a pitcher of water on his car. :cheeky:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Sure, but they can also disable your supercharging which makes your car worth approximately gently caress all. My understanding is the whole 'disable fsd' thing was only for cars sent back to tesla that tesla then resells and that they restored FSD to all affected vehicles since removing it was questionably legal. So yeah, it does follow the vehicle?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Yuns posted:

Are any other people in this thread parents of kids old enough to be heavily involved in extracurriculars including travel sports? If so how do you deal with recharging and planning? As a parent of kids who compete year round in sports (ski racing, swimming, lacrosse, etc.) as well as participate in other extracurriculars like state orchestra etc., pre-COVID I was on the road pretty much constantly on weekends. This includes both long out of state trips to compete as well as just being on the road chauffering them locally from lesson to lesson. Even without long trips, 8 hours on the road in a day including sitting at Starbucks waiting for them is not abnormal.

We did a lot of that insanity when the kids were younger. We live in a rural area so my wife would be in and out of town 3x a day as well as the weekend trips. This is how you put 430,000 kilometres on a Toyota hatchback.

We had one day like that shortly after getting the Bolt. That was what motivated us to upgrade our home charger from L1 to L2. The Bolt can recharge a day's worth of juice while the kids are sleeping so it would be fine for routine in town practices.

Not so sure about the out of town stuff. The arenas/pools we used to go to up and down the island all have chargers nearby so those competitions would have been fine. Part of the adjustment to EVs is becoming aware of where the chargers are, how predictable your driving is, and adjusting your planning accordingly. It might be as simple as walking 10 minutes from the charger to the Starbucks instead of parking in front.

Places like ski hills, dirt tracks, other remote locations, and long range trips could be a problem though. If I had to deal with those now I'd probably look more closely at a plug-in hybrid.

If horses are involved you default to a truck anyway. Count your blessings if they're not. Logistics for transporting a bassoon are a lot simpler.

ReaperUnreal posted:

Thanks for the link and tip. I'm in Canada, near Toronto. Budget is 30-40k, range is bimodal. I'm either driving 30-40km or 500km along major highways. I'm definitely fine watching a bunch of youtube vids, got plenty of time.

Similar, except I'm in coastal B.C. where we don't really do that winter thing. We do need a vehicle that's capable of doing the 400 kilometre trip across southern B.C. during winter with a minimum of hassle in case my wife gets a call that her parents need help.

We spent some time on PlugShare mapping out the chargers for potential trips and dealing with range loss due to heating/defrosting requirements. Nice thing about EVs on the Coquihalla is that slowing due to ice and snow = increased range = more heat for the defrosters.

(And just lol if you want to travel to Prince Rupert. You can get in, but you can't get out, unless you want to hop the ferry down the coast to Port Hardy. Might work better to go the other direction, recharging in Port Hardy would give you enough juice to get on the ferry to Rupert then travel to Terrace.)

As mentioned there's a number of interesting Canadian EV YouTubers out there. There's some Norwegians as well playing in the ice and snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWg3jKi-ceA

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Westy543 posted:

Honestly, it's kind of a scum gently caress move as it is to double dip on FSD by stripping it out of their own used car sales. They used to (not sure if still common practice) still factor the depreciation from the FSD msrp. Not anywhere near the worst practice in the biz, but I could understand being annoyed with it, unfortunately it's ultimately their choice. Don't buy used through Tesla if you don't like it. The people who bought used through dealerships and had it stripped on registering their cars got it back though.
When I asked the local Tesla service center about this, they told me that they add or remove FSD from inventory and used cars depending on what they think will sell the best at that time. I've been following the inventory market for used S/X here in :norway: for a while and most of the cars are listed with FSD.

Westy543 posted:

Tesla really needs to define the FSD upgrade is supposed to work in general. As an account option, yeah that's pretty sweet to have a lifetime upgrade on any Tesla you drive. Bound to a car, eh, much harder sell.
It follows the car. I wish it was account-based, but it isn't :(

Westy543 posted:

One of my coworkers just bought a new model 3. For giggles I decided to take a look around it from the outside. Had a single panel with a weird alignment issue on the panel between the trunk and passenger side rear door. Otherwise, pretty well put together. And no, I'm not going to pour a pitcher of water on his car. :cheeky:
You should take it for a test ride, and also pour a pitcher of water on his car :sun:

gwrtheyrn posted:

Sure, but they can also disable your supercharging which makes your car worth approximately gently caress all.
Just to be very, very clear: this happens to SALVAGED cars. Tesla's policy on salvaged cars is loving atrocious, but unless you are very, very stupid when buying a car, this will never be a problem.

A bigger issue is that they're now throttling supercharging for older cars with the 85 kWh battery, because they don't want the batteries to wear out and have to replace them within the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty period. That's some scummy poo poo.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 16, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wibla posted:

https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot

Seems to me that Tesla has very clearly articulated the differences between Autopilot and FSD.
Beyond that, older Model S/X/3 with FSD get their autopilot computers upgraded to HW3, as Tesla figured out that the older HW2 does not fulfill the processing needs to actually provide FSD features.

FSD stays with the car if sold privately. If you trade it in to Tesla, they're free to do whatever they want with the car after it is in their possession, including removing or adding software-controlled features like FSD, free Supercharging and performance modes.

That’s the thing though. Tesla says that once an upgrade is purchased on the car, it stays on the car. However, they seem to do something different in practice where they strip our software from cars they get possession of to hopefully sell again.

quote:

The manufacturer has yet to issue an official response as to why this practice exists, though the brand’s customer support hotline told both us and Jalopnik that any features purchased when the car was new (that weren’t subscription based) would carry over to all subsequent owners. This would be a huge relief if we didn’t already know Tesla was acting contrary to the claim. Instead, it feels as though the automaker is testing the waters to see what it can get away with.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Wibla posted:

Just to be very, very clear: this happens to SALVAGED cars. Tesla's policy on salvaged cars is loving atrocious, but unless you are very, very stupid when buying a car, this will never be a problem.

The point is they can not that they will/do. It is also a software flag, so does the insurance agency just get to pretend your tesla doesn't have supercharging and say it's worth like 10k?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

That’s the thing though. Tesla says that once an upgrade is purchased on the car, it stays on the car. However, they seem to do something different in practice where they strip our software from cars they get possession of to hopefully sell again.

Once you sell it back to them, it's not yours anymore, so who cares if they remove an option to sell it cheaper. (As an aside, I was looking at CPO Models S and it looked like they pretty much all were FSD enabled). If they pulled the upgraded wheels off to put the cheap ones on, would people be all up in arms about how "the rims don't stay with the vehicle!!" ?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

The point is they can not that they will/do. It is also a software flag, so does the insurance agency just get to pretend your tesla doesn't have supercharging and say it's worth like 10k?
You're arguing from (imho) a flawed standpoint (strawman: no supercharging = car not worth anything), so I'm not sure why I bother responding further to this... but here goes:

If Tesla were to arbitrarily remove supercharging from a vehicle for no reason (FYI: salvage title is a valid but lovely reason), they would take a massive public relations hit. They have absolutely nothing to gain from doing this.

If an insurance company tried to pull that stunt, it would be classified as fraud. Which is why it hasn't ever happened (as far as I know), and is very unlikely to ever occur.

borkencode posted:

Once you sell it back to them, it's not yours anymore, so who cares if they remove an option to sell it cheaper. (As an aside, I was looking at CPO Models S and it looked like they pretty much all were FSD enabled). If they pulled the upgraded wheels off to put the cheap ones on, would people be all up in arms about how "the rims don't stay with the vehicle!!" ?
Basically this. A buyer of a used vehicle (from Tesla) doesn't know if that vehicle came with 21" or 19" rims before it was sold back to Tesla, the same thing goes for FSD.

Most of the newer (HW2 and up) CPO cars I've seen on the :norway: Tesla site had FSD listed.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

borkencode posted:

The thing in the Jelopnik article was that a dealer saw it at auction and it was shown with FSD, put it on his lot as having FSD, guy bought it, then Telsa took the feature away because the buyer, personally, did not pay Tesla for it. They also have examples of that same thing happening to other people who bought a car on a lot that had Ludicrous Mode, then a little while later Tesla removing it and not restoring it because, "it would not be fair to those who have paid for Ludicrous Mode to make an exception."

In your example it would be more like you buy a used car with upgraded wheels, take it home, then the manufacturer sends someone out to your house to change them out for cheep ones because you didn't pay them for it.

If these features were already disabled when they were sold to the dealerships I would completely agree with you.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Wibla posted:

You're arguing from (imho) a flawed standpoint (strawman: no supercharging = car not worth anything), so I'm not sure why I bother responding further to this... but here goes:

If Tesla were to arbitrarily remove supercharging from a vehicle for no reason (FYI: salvage title is a valid but lovely reason), they would take a massive public relations hit. They have absolutely nothing to gain from doing this.

It's roughly the same argument for the FSD guy is complaining about. There is no question that a tesla without supercharging is worth less than one with it, just like one with the FSD is worth more than one without it. Both can be arbitrarily pulled from a technical standpoint, but neither are/should be done except in certain circumstances such as salvage titles and resale back to tesla. The basic argument was that software features that you pay for aren't insurable because they can be pulled, and if it's totalled, the car is going to be both sold and salvage titled, so it ends up the same as far as insurance cares.

McPhearson posted:

The thing in the Jelopnik article was that a dealer saw it at auction and it was shown with FSD, put it on his lot as having FSD, guy bought it, then Telsa took the feature away because the buyer, personally, did not pay Tesla for it.

Except the apparently restored it 5 days later. And again, this was for a car sold back to tesla, sold at auction to a dealer, and the sold again. There is no evidence that I've seen that this happens in sales that do not include tesla. It's still scummy, but saying it never goes with the car and is thus uninsurable is silly.

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 16, 2020

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wibla posted:

A bigger issue is that they're now throttling supercharging for older cars with the 85 kWh battery, because they don't want the batteries to wear out and have to replace them within the 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty period. That's some scummy poo poo.

Is the 8 year battery warranty for used vehicles and second/third etc owners too?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Wibla posted:

You should take it for a test ride, and also pour a pitcher of water on his car :sun:

On my way back from lunch I realized there were water spots in a few odd areas (charge port, in a weird recess) so maybe he already did water it. :ohdear:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Do we have any Kona EV owners here? If so are you happy with the car? My sister is interested and I don't know much about them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

It's roughly the same argument for the FSD guy is complaining about. There is no question that a tesla without supercharging is worth less than one with it, just like one with the FSD is worth more than one without it. Both can be arbitrarily pulled from a technical standpoint, but neither are/should be done except in certain circumstances such as salvage titles and resale back to tesla. The basic argument was that software features that you pay for aren't insurable because they can be pulled, and if it's totalled, the car is going to be both sold and salvage titled, so it ends up the same as far as insurance cares.

Except they're not the same argument? Supercharging is a huge selling point for Tesla and almost all their cars support it (apart from some very early 40/60 kWh cars, and the original Roadster), Tesla won't remove it unless the car gets a salvage title. FSD is something you can choose to buy (or not).
If insurance companies are dinging payouts to owners who got their car totaled because supercharging gets disabled on a salvage title, I would suggest liberal application of class action lawsuits, pitchforks and 9x19mm.

Russian Bear posted:

Is the 8 year battery warranty for used vehicles and second/third etc owners too?
It follows the car :sun:

Westy543 posted:

On my way back from lunch I realized there were water spots in a few odd areas (charge port, in a weird recess) so maybe he already did water it. :ohdear:
:haw:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Wibla posted:

Except they're not the same argument? Supercharging is a huge selling point for Tesla because almost all their cars support it (apart from some very early 40/60 kWh cars, and the original Roadster), Tesla won't remove it unless the car gets a salvage title. FSD is something you can choose to buy (or not).
If insurance companies are dinging payouts to owners who got their car totaled because supercharging gets disabled on a salvage title, I would suggest liberal application of class action lawsuits, pitchforks and 9x19mm.

The whole drat thing was about insurance not paying out for features that could get removed when the vehicle gets totalled because "it's just software"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just don’t understand how are people ok with this.

Westy543 posted:

Congratulations on your new EV! Enjoy it!! I'm glad to hear you had a positive delivery experience. Let us know what the rattle is once you fix it (if you're okay sharing).

Bum the Sad posted:

lol,

*unplugged seat belt buckle taps pillar*
:kingsley: RETURN THE CAR :kingsley:

The really embarrassing part is: that's exactly what it was. Passenger side buckle was tapping against the plastic on the B pillar because it was turned funny, fixed it without even trying when I was putting in my floor liners...