Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SkeletonHero posted:

It's amazing how pissed off people get about Hellblade because of that.

People see it or hear about it and they get mad and refuse to play on principle because how dare a game have stakes! :argh: But then when someone politely spoiler tags the real deal they get mad and refuse to play on principle because how dare a game developer lie to them! :argh:

People got real mad about trailers in The Last Of Us 2 having Joel in scenes when in the game itself it's someone else.

I'd be wondering where all the people who learned this lesson back with MGS2 are, but apparently they're all still waiting for Death Stranding to secretly be Silent Hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Playing through while terrified of something that might not actually be real is incredibly on-brand for Hellblade

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I legitimately never died in Hellblade so I never got to see if anything changed.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

This. The downfall of Telltale is well documented and shockingly it has gently caress-all to do with "everyone suddenly universally agreed with my opinion, that all of their games were trash garbage, and they instantly shrank into nothing and disappeared overnight :smug:"

Sales of their games were in steady decline. Clearly their financial model imploding is what killed them, but never changing or improving on their formula was a contributing factor. If every game sold like Walking Dead 1 they would have been fine. Their style was enough for some people, but clearly a lot of people who played their games at least once weren't interested in a second or third or x however many more servings of the same dish. Or at least not at that frequency.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Necrothatcher posted:

I never understood the complaint that Telltale's games only offered the illusion of choice and that it's ruined if you peek behind the curtain to see how it works.

Like... just don't do that and enjoy the illusion. Are you standing up at magic shows to complain that the rabbit wasn't really in the magician's hat?
I never tried to peek behind the curtain. The curtain had holes in it.

What is Hellblade and what was the thing that it did/lied about?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Tiggum posted:

I never tried to peek behind the curtain. The curtain had holes in it.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is the latest Ninja Theory game, came out I think in 2017 and was a pretty good third-person swordfighting viking game.

The major theme/gimmick was that the main character, Senua, had severe mental trauma and paranoid schizophrenia, and they did their best to take that seriously and impress it on the player. So you had a lot of voices whispering to you all the time, saw a lot of hallucinations, and the part that we're talking about - to put the player into a similar paranoid headspace, it implies early on that dying enough will cause your save to be deleted. It won't happen, and going by exact wording of the warning it's technically not a lie, but it got people riled up real bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LifeSunDeath posted:

if I remember correctly, Telltale were going around saying their games had all this choice and that it effected future episodes of games etc, which it did not

A lot of the time it affects character relationships and dialogue and if you buy into that it works pretty well. Kenny's with you for a lot of TWD1 no matter what you decide but your conversations can be pretty different.

If you go in expecting radically different plot outcomes (which do tend to happen in the final episodes) then you'll be more likely to be disappointed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tiggum posted:

Hellblade has almost no UI elements and is told almost entirely from Senua's perspective. Senua suffers from severe mental trauma and you control her in the midst of a psychotic episode brought on by the murder of her lover Dillion to the Vikings. Early on in the game, it breaks the fourth wall for a single moment to deliver the following message about the rot growing on Senua's right arm:

quote:

The dark rot will grow each time you fail. If the rot reaches Senua's head, her quest is over and all progress will be lost

Many game reviewers interpreted this as a permadeath mechanic, believing that if you died too many times your save would be erased. And indeed it was successful at inducing that paranoia within the player, as many first-time buyers still ask if Hellblade has a permadeath mechanic. But in actuality (major spoilers) it's an illusion. Technically everything in the message is true: The dark rot continues to grow, it eventually reaches Senua's head in the climactic battle with Hela, and the game erases your save once you finish the story. But by the end of Hellblade both Senua and the player's perspectives have changed. She learns to stop fighting the loss of her lover Dillion, and that nothing can be done to bring him back. Similarly, what you as the player feared in the beginning of the story (Senua's quest being over and losing your progress) actually represents her triumph in accepting Dillion's death and moving on with her life.

The misdirection around the so-called permadeath message is one of the things that elevates the game for me beyond "pretty cool" to "still think about years later."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A lot of the time it affects character relationships and dialogue and if you buy into that it works pretty well. Kenny's with you for a lot of TWD1 no matter what you decide but your conversations can be pretty different.

If you go in expecting radically different plot outcomes (which do tend to happen in the final episodes) then you'll be more likely to be disappointed.

The secret about games with Choices is that the act of choosing itself is often the main appeal. Not gonna claim immediately following a dilemma with "haha sike they died anyway" is super smooth, but what I would take away from that is that the choice was never about mechanically picking between parallel realities where Steve was either eaten by zombies or not eaten by zombies. The choice was about characterizing the player character as someone who would either leave someone to die or put themselves at risk to save them instead.

See also: Mass Effect, where the overwhelming majority of choices either never "mattered" or had incredibly minor outcomes down the line but were still notable for fleshing out each player's particular version of Shepard.

Phigs posted:

Sales of their games were in steady decline. Clearly their financial model imploding is what killed them, but never changing or improving on their formula was a contributing factor. If every game sold like Walking Dead 1 they would have been fine. Their style was enough for some people, but clearly a lot of people who played their games at least once weren't interested in a second or third or x however many more servings of the same dish. Or at least not at that frequency.

All of that follows from the company making really, really dumb decisions and not people arbitrarily deciding they don't like TT games anymore.

VVV Exactly. VVV

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Jul 16, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The more well-known Telltale games continued to sell into the hundreds of thousands on Steam, they just weren't gonna catch lightning in a bottle like TWD1 again for all the expensive licenses they were buying up.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Just a heads up if anyone thinks about playing Hellblade because the stuff in this thread seems interesting: Play it with headphones. Trust me on this one!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There is seriously a market niche for telltale-style A games, it's just that they need to develop a better production pipeline for design and visuals and VA direction, and more judicious negotiation for licenses. Heck, you could probably pull off that tech with just Unity or Unreal.

Naughty Dog is definitely not that, it's way too expensive and could never be sustainable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

John Murdoch posted:

The secret about games with Choices is that the act of choosing itself is often the main appeal. Not gonna claim immediately following a dilemma with "haha sike they died anyway" is super smooth, but what I would take away from that is that the choice was never about mechanically picking between parallel realities where Steve was either eaten by zombies or not eaten by zombies. The choice was about characterizing the player character as someone who would either leave someone to die or put themselves at risk to save them instead.
The thing about that interpretation though is that it's not actually something the game does. If you're going to advertise that your game has meaningful choices then they need to affect the plot, because otherwise you're not doing anything that any other game doesn't do. You can play Doom as a guy who just hates hell demons so drat much that he'll hunt down and kill every last one, or as a guy who is just trying to survive and get out of this situation, and the game doesn't need to do anything to support that because it's just something you, the player, can do. If the game's choices are just about how you, the player, conceptualise the character you're playing as then the game has done nothing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

There is seriously a market niche for telltale-style A games, it's just that they need to develop a better production pipeline for design and visuals and VA direction, and more judicious negotiation for licenses. Heck, you could probably pull off that tech with just Unity or Unreal.

Naughty Dog is definitely not that, it's way too expensive and could never be sustainable.

I felt like Detroit: Become Human pushed the basic Telltale formula forward quite a bit - shame about all of the other massive problems it had.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Necrothatcher posted:

I felt like Detroit: Become Human pushed the basic Telltale formula forward quite a bit - shame about all of the other massive problems it had.

Yeah for all its faults, when you see the branches of each chapter of Become Human it's pretty impressive.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah for all its faults, when you see the branches of each chapter of Become Human it's pretty impressive.

How does it compare to Alpha Protocol? Because that game had a serious amount of variation, especially for things that weren't obvious explicit choices. You always had the same missions but they played out pretty differently depending on what you had and hadn't done.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Hel posted:

How does it compare to Alpha Protocol? Because that game had a serious amount of variation, especially for things that weren't obvious explicit choices. You always had the same missions but they played out pretty differently depending on what you had and hadn't done.

You could have some wildly different results when playing Detroit. One of the chapters has 30+ variations based on your previous actions, and which characters are even left alive at that point (someone can die the very first time you even get to play as them), and there are over 40 ending variations.

Shame about the actual writing, though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

See also: Mass Effect, where the overwhelming majority of choices either never "mattered" or had incredibly minor outcomes down the line but were still notable for fleshing out each player's particular version of Shepard.

Yeah, it's one thing if a developer lies, but the act of flavoring a story has value. I remember a really minor bit in Mass Effect where I was boarding a station and the security guy wanted me to surrender my weapons. I could choose to either do so, or point my gun at him and tell him hell no.

The guy's boss came over the PA and told him to leave me alone, so I realized that regardless of choice, the outcome is "you pass peacefully, and keep your weapons." But the character who chooses to keep their head down and comply in that situation, is very different from the one who draws their gun and risks a shootout! Even if it's not reflected in gameplay it lets you flavor the storytelling.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I wish RPGs and other character driven games would follow through with things like that a bit more. Some way of making flavor/character choices feel a bit more weighty. Like imagine there's a range of options your character could go for but the ones available to you are dependent on how you've played your character. Or a reputation system that is just about how people react to you based on how you've acted in the past. Mass Effect's paragon/renegade system would have been a lot more fun if it was just a system of determining which badass things you could say or what cutscene triggers you had access to. I think RPGs have a great opportunity to reward players in pure roleplay ways that hasn't been properly explored.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hel posted:

One of my favorite “not obvious choices” things in that was antagonizing Marburg. If you read his file and decide to be the kind of spy he hates when you first meet him, but are otherwise professional through the game, he knows you’re trying to play him and respects you for it. If you’re consistently an unprofessional dick to everyone, he hates your guts and you can kill him in Rome. Which boss fights you get in the last level are also hugely dependent on how you played the entire game, with some bosses straight up killing each other before you would have fought them.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
alpha protocol was really good

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Okay, TellTale shutting down because it's games were lovely was a bad take on my part, full stop.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of my favorite “not obvious choices” things in that was antagonizing Marburg. If you read his file and decide to be the kind of spy he hates when you first meet him, but are otherwise professional through the game, he knows you’re trying to play him and respects you for it. If you’re consistently an unprofessional dick to everyone, he hates your guts and you can kill him in Rome. Which boss fights you get in the last level are also hugely dependent on how you played the entire game, with some bosses straight up killing each other before you would have fought them.

I liked how if you turned up to the Embassy in full battledress the guards would just assume you're one of them and just wave you in, that was a great example of having a non-explicit, non-textual choice in the game that made a difference.

Shame about the bug that set the "you shot your way in" flag if you went in stealthily though.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I think the main thing bringing Alpha Protocol down is that it didn't do well enough for "spy" to become a genre. Imagine a bigger budget sequel with more locations and divergence in gameplay, so you can go through properly as the three types of JBs.

Actually, didn't Rockstar have a spy game in development? I remember reading about that before GTAv came out. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure I want to play a Rockstar spy game really

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Phigs posted:

Sales of their games were in steady decline. Clearly their financial model imploding is what killed them, but never changing or improving on their formula was a contributing factor.

I'd say that their formula was not only not improving, it was regressing and going towards simplified graphic novel route aggressively. With the early Telltale releases (Monkey Island, Sam&Max) you still had typical adventure stuff like inventories, item puzzles, conversations and sometimes even minigames (Puzzle Agent). The needed activities to progress didn't have to happen in a certain order, and there were sometimes even different ways to solve things.

When TWD was a massive hit, they ditched most of the adventure and puzzle elements to make stories simple enough so that you could not get stuck anywhere, nor were you required to think for a solution for more than 5 seconds. An adventure game where you could not get stuck, with each episode doable in 2-3 hours depending on how much you paid attention.

The simplification of the gameplay obviously also allowed them to more closely control what the player could try to do, so they started to crank out games which really were closer to interactive animation series than actual adventure games, but due to very limited need to play test they could do them relatively quickly and with low resources. IMHO that was the point they lost it and finally over-extended.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

As much as people say that your choices don't amount to anything big in Mass Effect, there are some bigger things in ME3 that rely on choices from previous games.

Getting the good endings for Tuchanka and Rannoch is impossible if you din't make the right choices in the previous games and of the eight possible squad members in the game four of them could be dead.
One of the ME1 characters is guaranteed to be dead (as both the Human ME1 squaddies are available in ME3, but one will die in ME1) and the survivor will be on your squad in the prologue but can die before rejoining your squad in the second half of the game. The two returning squaddies from ME2 could be dead as every one in ME2 can die. Only one returning character is guaranteed to be alive, the other three are new characters for ME3 and one of those is from a DLC so you could have as few as three available squad members.

Sure, a lot of the choices amount to nothing and you'll never miss out on a mission because of a choice, the game will just sub-out a returning character for a new one (or not replace them with anyone) but some of the choices do have a decent effect on the game. And yeah, none of this has any effect on the ending other than adding to your score that unlocks the three ending choices.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tight aspirations posted:

I liked how if you turned up to the Embassy in full battledress the guards would just assume you're one of them and just wave you in, that was a great example of having a non-explicit, non-textual choice in the game that made a difference.

Shame about the bug that set the "you shot your way in" flag if you went in stealthily though.

Or if you show up to the subway meeting in the stealth armor you get lectured about how if you really wanted to be stealthy in broad daylight in a public location, you’d actually just dress like a civilian and not a loving navy seal

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Bogmonster posted:

I think the main thing bringing Alpha Protocol down is that it didn't do well enough for "spy" to become a genre. Imagine a bigger budget sequel with more locations and divergence in gameplay, so you can go through properly as the three types of JBs.

James Bond
Jason Bourne
Jeff Bridges

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cliff posted:

James Bond
Jason Bourne
Jeff Bridges

Johnny Bravo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Jerry Bruckheimer

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The new paper mario apparently still relies on consumable attacks and incredibly long puzzle boss fights with time limits. Why does Nintendo desperately want me to not play what used to be one of my favorite franchises?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Veotax posted:

As much as people say that your choices don't amount to anything big in Mass Effect, there are some bigger things in ME3 that rely on choices from previous games.

I agree. I was always pretty impressed by all of the Mass Effects (except Andromeda) and the inner workings although I will admit im kind of easily impressed.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bogmonster posted:

Actually, didn't Rockstar have a spy game in development? I remember reading about that before GTAv came out. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure I want to play a Rockstar spy game really

They did, but it just all went quiet and I think they just shelved it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Necrothatcher posted:

I think even that game is a bit too high budget for the niche that I am envisioning, D:BH has much higher production values than anything Telltale has ever produced.

Der Kyhe posted:

I'd say that their formula was not only not improving, it was regressing and going towards simplified graphic novel route aggressively. With the early Telltale releases (Monkey Island, Sam&Max) you still had typical adventure stuff like inventories, item puzzles, conversations and sometimes even minigames (Puzzle Agent). The needed activities to progress didn't have to happen in a certain order, and there were sometimes even different ways to solve things.

When TWD was a massive hit, they ditched most of the adventure and puzzle elements to make stories simple enough so that you could not get stuck anywhere, nor were you required to think for a solution for more than 5 seconds. An adventure game where you could not get stuck, with each episode doable in 2-3 hours depending on how much you paid attention.

The simplification of the gameplay obviously also allowed them to more closely control what the player could try to do, so they started to crank out games which really were closer to interactive animation series than actual adventure games, but due to very limited need to play test they could do them relatively quickly and with low resources. IMHO that was the point they lost it and finally over-extended.

I think it is precisely this kind of stripped down game design that can be pumped out en-masse that constitutes the niche. Something higher than visual novels, but lower than what Quantic Dreams or Naughty Dog specialize in. Telltale filled that, but they ran up too much overhead due to bad tech and production workflows, and overextending to too many licenses.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Heaven's Vault did a lot of the things that Telltale games promised with regards to a dialogue system and meaningful choices and attached it to a neat puzzle game about space archaeology and linguistics.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically telltale games worked out a way to make funkopops for popular franchises

i demand funkopops *jaw falls open into a wide faced smile, facial hair sprouts randomly across patches of my face*

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think I remember reading someone saying they only really made a profit on Walking Dead and Minecraft. GoT must have been expensive but I only heard bad things about it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It was terrible because you’re adjacent to all of the canon characters but you can’t do a thing about it, so at the end of ep 1 Ramsey shows up and there’s not a loving thing you can do because he’s an important character and you’re literally filler.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

yeah you're like the not-Starks just kinda loving about and occasionally talking to the Important Characters for a scene or two. I managed to get the equivalent of Sansa executed in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Necrothatcher posted:

I didn’t really see it as having massive problems, it achieved pretty much exactly what it was going for- a lot of the criticism just felt like people had it ready since it was announced so they could dunk on David Cage because a lot of his prior games were bad or ridiculous. It didn’t sputter out like Indigo Prophecy did.