Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm pretty sure there's only actually one roll you need to pass. There's a couple others that look like you do, but if you've gotten all the bonuses the game just goes "eh, you failed, but we need to get this show on the road"

There's the one roll that's absolutely necessary (looking at the billboard) and a pair of them right afterwards where you need to get one or the other (breaking into the basement or "teleporting" to the roof). The only other rolls that are absolutely necessary to progress (the three with Titus Hardie) you can fail three times and it'll give you a dialogue option to get past that leg of the quest instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/mattbarton/status/1282370948658847745

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sit on my Jace posted:

There's the one roll that's absolutely necessary (looking at the billboard) and a pair of them right afterwards where you need to get one or the other (breaking into the basement or "teleporting" to the roof). The only other rolls that are absolutely necessary to progress (the three with Titus Hardie) you can fail three times and it'll give you a dialogue option to get past that leg of the quest instead.

very early on you have to be able to look at the body without barfing but volumetric poo poo compressor gives a pretty good bonus. but i don't think there's any other way around that, you have to pass it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

very early on you have to be able to look at the body without barfing but volumetric poo poo compressor gives a pretty good bonus. but i don't think there's any other way around that, you have to pass it.

But that's actually a pretty good one because if you aren't set up to pass that test then the game gives you a 'spend a point in this and come back later' piece.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think you can skip that by going to Claire and asking for help

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
You don't have to get the body down at all to finish the game

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mr. Prokosch posted:

if measurehead gets the body down you don't have to pass the check to not barf? that's actually kind of weird and gamey if the decomposing corpse smell doesn't bother you if someone else drops it on the ground. this game is usually more internally consistent than that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rabidsquid posted:

if measurehead gets the body down you don't have to pass the check to not barf? that's actually kind of weird and gamey if the decomposing corpse smell doesn't bother you if someone else drops it on the ground. this game is usually more internally consistent than that

Honestly if you think about it the smell of a days old corpse suspended in the air is probably going to be measurably worse than one on the ground, muffled by the grass and soil

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Poking the game again I am reminded how oddly frustrating it is that you can only beg Joyce for your first debt to Garte. Regardless of if it's 130 or 60

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure you don't have to deal with the corpse at all. The evidence you uncover (or don't) at the crime scene just helps you with dealing with the Hardie Boys and Klaasje, but it's not necessary.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

paradoxGentleman posted:

does anyone know of a screenshot let's play or a liveblog or. something. I wish to experience this game vicariously through the eyes of a newbie.
i will only accept video let's plays if the let's player is like, REALLY entertaining and/or clever.
for reference to what i consider good, my favorite LPers are Norhternlion and BaerTaffy

If you want something done from a completely different (but entertaining) viewpoint, you could try ScottyDGaming's take on it if you want to see a very blase Northerner get into the game.

Well, I say Northerner, he's a Southerner by my standards. From North England, ok?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I know that ZAUM is apparently planning on releasing an official pen & paper book at some point, but I wanted to see how the game systems hold up, so I had a few brief sessions with players. Not even the same setting - it was near-future scifi. All but one of the players did not know about Disco Elysium, so it was a nice experiment. Aside from renaming some of the skills to recontextualize them somewhat (Esprit de Corps became "Law & Order", Inland Empire "Dreams", Half-Light "Survival Instincts"...), I think it worked pretty well!

Obviously, I couldn't spend the entire session yammering to each player in 24 different voices (WEAK, I know), so instead I made it obvious that the approach to certain challenges strongly determines which skill you'll use, and suggested a couple of times what their character believes to be the best approach; something like suggesting to the Half-Light 6 player that sudden bursts of violence and fight-or-flight responses seem best (and why not, it's one of their highest skills!). Which colours the entire action, of course, successful or not. There's a lot of interpretation from the side of the game master, so it's definitely not very strict. But using the skills as personality traits rather than static skill bonuses is quite fun. Some notes:

- Half-Light is king of loving stuff up for the other players.
- Inland Empire is basically an excuse to waffle at confused players with ominous metaphors that spoil what you've planned.
- Endurance, Physical Instrument and Pain Threshold seem to have a lot of overlap - I found it difficult to keep them separate. But that might also be because I didn't play a high Phys run yet, so I'm not very familiar with their DE interpretations.
- Savoir Faire got used CONSTANTLY - it became the de facto stealth skill. Might wanna spread that out over some others.
- I didn't make it an actual genius loci in our short game, but I feel like Shivers is an excellent tool as well - it's like a shorthand to make players feel something's happening in the grand scheme of things. Good for freaking out people, too.
- The high Encyclopedia player started avoiding the skill because I gave out too much entirely incidental and useless trivia, most of which I made up on the spot. I feel like that captured the spirit of the skill quite well.

The game went all over the place, and I got kinda wild with the circumstance bonuses lategame, but it was fun to see! Definitely gonna try that again.

Anybody else try something out with the DE system/ideas?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Torquemadras posted:

I know that ZAUM is apparently planning on releasing an official pen & paper book at some point, but I wanted to see how the game systems hold up, so I had a few brief sessions with players. Not even the same setting - it was near-future scifi. All but one of the players did not know about Disco Elysium, so it was a nice experiment. Aside from renaming some of the skills to recontextualize them somewhat (Esprit de Corps became "Law & Order", Inland Empire "Dreams", Half-Light "Survival Instincts"...), I think it worked pretty well!

Obviously, I couldn't spend the entire session yammering to each player in 24 different voices (WEAK, I know), so instead I made it obvious that the approach to certain challenges strongly determines which skill you'll use, and suggested a couple of times what their character believes to be the best approach; something like suggesting to the Half-Light 6 player that sudden bursts of violence and fight-or-flight responses seem best (and why not, it's one of their highest skills!). Which colours the entire action, of course, successful or not. There's a lot of interpretation from the side of the game master, so it's definitely not very strict. But using the skills as personality traits rather than static skill bonuses is quite fun. Some notes:

- Half-Light is king of loving stuff up for the other players.
- Inland Empire is basically an excuse to waffle at confused players with ominous metaphors that spoil what you've planned.
- Endurance, Physical Instrument and Pain Threshold seem to have a lot of overlap - I found it difficult to keep them separate. But that might also be because I didn't play a high Phys run yet, so I'm not very familiar with their DE interpretations.
- Savoir Faire got used CONSTANTLY - it became the de facto stealth skill. Might wanna spread that out over some others.
- I didn't make it an actual genius loci in our short game, but I feel like Shivers is an excellent tool as well - it's like a shorthand to make players feel something's happening in the grand scheme of things. Good for freaking out people, too.
- The high Encyclopedia player started avoiding the skill because I gave out too much entirely incidental and useless trivia, most of which I made up on the spot. I feel like that captured the spirit of the skill quite well.

The game went all over the place, and I got kinda wild with the circumstance bonuses lategame, but it was fun to see! Definitely gonna try that again.

I never ended up playing it with a group but this is a cool FATE take on a DE rpg: https://wadabadah.itch.io/this-is-a-city-of-sacred-and-terrible-fate

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Torquemadras posted:

I feel like everyone should keep Esprit, but rather than being cop-centric it applies to whatever it is they do specifically. Line cook esprit de corps is different from spec ops esprit de corps which is different from weird internet shut-in esprit de corps.

I'm also leaning towards the idea there should be about 80 skills and character creation is largely determining which ones apply to a given character-- but I haven't thought about it enough to know if it's possible to make that interesting.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Maybe you could go a bit off the wall and just have each player representing a skill in a single character's fractured psyche, with control rotating as each skill comes to the fore.

You could probably hack "everyone is john" quite easily to get it to work

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 14, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JustaDamnFool posted:

Maybe you could go a bit off the wall and just have each player representing a skill in a single character's fractured psyche, with control rotating as each skill comes to the fore.

You could probably hack "everyone is john" quite easily to get it to work

I feel like a way to make this distinct from "everyone is john" would be to make it so that one player is the player character, and everyone else is their individual skills that give advice and make rolls but ultimately don't get to make decisions. To make it more interesting, the player character can choose to take actions in the world, but cannot "ask" their skills anything. The skills have to offer advice on their own, and the player character cannot take an action that a skill has not suggested (maybe with a caveat that the PC is allowed to do extremely basic stuff like "moving around" and "having plain conversations with people" on their own just to keep the action moving).

This could lead to fun stuff like whenever the GM wants to give information to the player character, they pass it along to one of the skills as something that skill has noticed - but it's up to the player representing the skill to interpret that information and they are encouraged to do it in a way that's "in character".

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 14, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tylana posted:

Poking the game again I am reminded how oddly frustrating it is that you can only beg Joyce for your first debt to Garte. Regardless of if it's 130 or 60

Who is Joyce?

I got to the end of day one with 6 bucks in my hobo pockets and ===Kim=== went and got some spinners from his car, we pawned them, and he gave me the 130.

Dude’s a real bro. :hfive:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Explore more, talk to more people.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Apropos, since I'm finally playing this game for the first time, I'm sure this has come up before but there's basically a soft lock in Day 2 if you don't have enough money for a room after Kim leaves? The clock doesn't progress past 2 AM and I got a game over when I tried to sleep in the dumpster (lol) I realize there are multiple options but still, that's kind of silly. Wasted a lot of time walking around.

Otherwise great game, thanks thread for keeping the spoiler tags going, I'm basically doing an iron man and miserably failing every check, hence my frustration with the above

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

zenguitarman posted:

Apropos, since I'm finally playing this game for the first time, I'm sure this has come up before but there's basically a soft lock in Day 2 if you don't have enough money for a room after Kim leaves? The clock doesn't progress past 2 AM and I got a game over when I tried to sleep in the dumpster (lol) I realize there are multiple options but still, that's kind of silly. Wasted a lot of time walking around.

Otherwise great game, thanks thread for keeping the spoiler tags going, I'm basically doing an iron man and miserably failing every check, hence my frustration with the above

They haven't fixed that? It's been a thing since the beginning!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Didn't they come out and say that's working as intended? Seems like a terrible design decision imo but I wouldn't expect a fix

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I thought they added the ability to sleep in the dumpster as finally patching the soft lock, but lmao that it just game overs you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I thought they added the ability to sleep in the dumpster as finally patching the soft lock, but lmao that it just game overs you

yeah lol it's funny that's like the only thing you can truly gently caress up in this game

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The gane warns you multiple times that you need to pay your bill and not to leave it until the last minute.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
That it can form a softlock (or could) is still bad design. If it game overed you that'd be, annoying but managable.

I got a Savoir Faire or something saying I could sleep in a dumpster recently, but I'd paid for my room and when I looked at the dumpster I was not offered the option to sleep there. So can't confirm if that's in. (I did have Hobocop internalized.)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

TommyGun85 posted:

The gane warns you multiple times that you need to pay your bill and not to leave it until the last minute.

Just let me be hobocop ffs

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
You should be able to bunk with pawn shop guy. He doesn't give a poo poo.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Enjoy posted:

The pale is also similar in theme and manner to the river Styx, it crosses planes of existence while annihilating memories (information)

I figured that the pale is a video game logic. Continents linked through lore, but not physically. When you travel between them, time stands still and suddenly you arrive.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:stare:

How do you have all of that health/morale/money... :stonklol:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
hax, probably

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Megazver posted:

hax, probably
Health and morale, yeah. The money is semi-legit, as I'm trying to figure out every instance when Wompty-Dom and Art Cop pop up.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BlueGrot posted:

I figured that the pale is a video game logic. Continents linked through lore, but not physically. When you travel between them, time stands still and suddenly you arrive.

Weather and radio signals can pass between continents. And also there's a space program that takes pictures of continents.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This game is wild. I think I'm close to the end so I'm trying to finish up side quests before progressing. Stupid people sleeping after 2 am.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Weather and radio signals can pass between continents. And also there's a space program that takes pictures of continents.

Yeah it would be hard for them to have any political and cultural influence between eachother if not.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BlueGrot posted:

naw, it's an actual thing -

joyce mentions pictures taken from low orbit
ruby mentions people who spend time in radio relay stations in the pale, who go crazy after only a few years
the two expeditions of Queen Irene's that returned, one sane and one gibbering mad, returned at times significantly after their departure

of course this can be hard to square with the concept of pale being a lack of measurable reality - if universal laws start breaking down in the pale, presumably you can get deep enough that time stops being a thing too - but, you know, fiction

e:

Doc Hawkins posted:

interesting... do we actually know that weather does extend through the pale? I mean presumably the pale still has an atmosphere, since people can breathe in it. there is also the concept art of a paleworker that depicts what I assume are clouds. don't remember if the game says anything specific along these lines.

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 16, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

of course this can be hard to square with the concept of pale being a lack of measurable reality - if universal laws start breaking down in the pale, presumably you can get deep enough that time stops being a thing too - but, you know, fiction

You can get deep enough that math stops being a thing

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone managed to get suicidal ideas due to the Finger on the Eject Button thought? It doesn't seem to affect anything.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So I've checked things out - every Titus check has 4-5 different things affecting the outcome, and failing twice allows you to turn to Kim, who solves it for you. Neither Klaasje check is actually necessary to proceed. The obligatory Shivers check, with 0 in Shivers, is depicted above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You're doing the disco work here.

Tequila Sunset's dread of his own past gets some great reactions from the chorus whenever it pops up, and it's nice to see them in full.