Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Deviant posted:

Yes, I've had this thing for a few months.

Yeah, And its dead.

This isn't uncommon at all. I'm on my 3rd LH2.0 and I have had a total of 8 1.0s (Yes, 8. I've had the WORST luck with light houses). They've never been dropped. They were opened, hung, THEN powered on. They were never dropped while running, they were never moved while running. They just up and died because "reasons".

Start the RMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQwMAl9bGNY

this is nuts

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah, And its dead.

This isn't uncommon at all. I'm on my 3rd LH2.0 and I have had a total of 8 1.0s (Yes, 8. I've had the WORST luck with light houses). They've never been dropped. They were opened, hung, THEN powered on. They were never dropped while running, they were never moved while running. They just up and died because "reasons".

Start the RMA.

This is like epic curse level unluckiness.

You sure you don't get lots of mini-surges or something? Do you have them plugged into a protector?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dietrich posted:

This is like epic curse level unluckiness.

You sure you don't get lots of mini-surges or something? Do you have them plugged into a protector?

Yep, And they run off power from a totally independent power source. I was going to blame power dips but naw, they have literal dedicated power at this point and every single one has been the spinny thing inside loving up and going wobbly (Getting louder basically, then finally either not spinning up at all, or just going red while being loud), not electronics dying.

EDIT: To be clear, 8 LH1.0s should probably be that I have had 4 die, so I'm on #5-8 on 1.0. Those all still work but have been retired for the 3 2.0s I currently run. Which, I've had 3 of those die so far. so we are on #4-6 on 2.0.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 16, 2020

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Pierson posted:

...but is Beat Saber still the game for working up a little sweat?

Thrill of the Fight.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Penpal posted:

Thrill of the Fight.

They said a little sweat, not "the most intense cardio you've ever experienced".

Get it, it's so drat good. I've never been more drenched in sweat and out of breath.

If you don't box make sure to check out some boxing videos to learn proper form and technique, it will really help in the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Beat Sabre has a built-in time limit where you stop playing once enough sweat has soaked into the foam on your Quest that it becomes gross to keep wearing it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep, FRL are hardcore in their investment in R&D. I wonder when will have that electronic varifocal with + blur done by deep learning + 20% more fov.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Beat Sabre has a built-in time limit where you stop playing once enough sweat has soaked into the foam on your Quest that it becomes gross to keep wearing it.

Thrill of the Fight calls this the warmup mode.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Great Beer posted:

Thrill of the Fight calls this the warmup mode.

Or 15 seconds into the first round.

That game will always kick my rear end. Always. It don't matter if I can do 10 hours of saber at high level or not. Thrill just murders you. I have no willpower to pace myself and I just wanna knock a fool out fast as possible. XD

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep, FRL are hardcore in their investment in R&D. I wonder when will have that electronic varifocal with + blur done by deep learning + 20% more fov.

i'd be (very negatively) surprised if at least some of that doesn't make it into quest 2. would be a true shift in the industry if they pull it off.
possibility of foveated rendering for higher res, varifocal, higher fov, smaller build, improved Link. yes please

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Inacio posted:

i'd be (very negatively) surprised if at least some of that doesn't make it into quest 2. would be a true shift in the industry if they pull it off.
possibility of foveated rendering for higher res, varifocal, higher fov, smaller build, improved Link. yes please

I've been thinking they might finally start doing some of this for years and years since they've been showing it off. The hand tracking is really the only thing they've teased I've seen come to fruition. I'd love if this new quest is going to finally introduce the varifocal/foveated rendering/eye tracking stuff, but I've learned not to expect much at this point.

I'm guessing this new quest will just be a cost reduced version with the rift s/go screen, better ergonomics, and better link support built in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of annoyed with the Oculus store where they gave me a $10 credit (yay) but even if I chose something under $10 they still charge me tax on it, (boo.)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just did my first multiplayer co-op zombies game in Pavlov.

Hahahaha hahahahahaha this is AWESOME.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

This was definitely worth the watch, thanks for this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Quest was actually on the design table before the Go . Both the Quest and the Go are really polished products, but the Go learned from mistakes in the Quest product development. The Go represents state of the art in VR headset design in ~2017. The Quest represents state of the art VR headset design from 2016.

It would not surprise me if the Quest 2 design was locked in summer of last year, which is about when qualcomm released their new VR-specific snapdragon chip.

The other thing, that he kind of dances around, is that the varifocal lenses also use a mirror in the display. Right now it's sort of

code:
[screen] (lens) <-- (eyeball)
Sort of looks like the new design is

code:

mirror/ ()lens <-- eyeball
      |
    ____screen
The fact that they went through three designs on the varifocal lens seems to indicate to me that this mirror/varifocal thing is not a dead end, and those display units are probably the basis for what's going into the next model

Also also, USB4 is about to be released to consumers. The Quest 2, my theory, is that it will have USB4 out of the gate. That lines up nicely with Intel's 11th gen core arch which has support for USB4. Intel's supposed to announce the first hardware with USB4 ports on it, here on Sept 2nd. Linux 5.8 is going to have USB4 support. Literally 2 hours ago, synaptics just announced a USB4 video interface and 2 days ago these guys announced usb4 hardware testing suites. Why does USB4 matter? Well you get 40gbps, same as Thunderbolt 3, which would allow Oculus to merge the Quest and the Rift S into a single unit, cutting Lenovo out of the manufacturing loop and allowing Oculus to get even better scale of economy by merging the two products together. Or at least using the same optics units.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

The Quest was actually on the design table before the Go . Both the Quest and the Go are really polished products, but the Go learned from mistakes in the Quest product development. The Go represents state of the art in VR headset design in ~2017. The Quest represents state of the art VR headset design from 2016.

It would not surprise me if the Quest 2 design was locked in summer of last year, which is about when qualcomm released their new VR-specific snapdragon chip.

The other thing, that he kind of dances around, is that the varifocal lenses also use a mirror in the display. Right now it's sort of

code:
[screen] (lens) <-- (eyeball)
Sort of looks like the new design is

code:

mirror/ ()lens <-- eyeball
      |
    ____screen
The fact that they went through three designs on the varifocal lens seems to indicate to me that this mirror/varifocal thing is not a dead end, and those display units are probably the basis for what's going into the next model

Also also, USB4 is about to be released to consumers. The Quest 2, my theory, is that it will have USB4 out of the gate. That lines up nicely with Intel's 11th gen core arch which has support for USB4. Intel's supposed to announce the first hardware with USB4 ports on it, here on Sept 2nd. Linux 5.8 is going to have USB4 support. Literally 2 hours ago, synaptics just announced a USB4 video interface and 2 days ago these guys announced usb4 hardware testing suites. Why does USB4 matter? Well you get 40gbps, same as Thunderbolt 3, which would allow Oculus to merge the Quest and the Rift S into a single unit, cutting Lenovo out of the manufacturing loop and allowing Oculus to get even better scale of economy by merging the two products together. Or at least using the same optics units.

I doubt USB4 would necessarily be included, simply because A: it's too new for literally anyone to take advantage of out of the gate, and B: it'll be a state-of-the-art headset circa when it was designed a year or two prior like the Quest and Go were. Having the new Qualcomm VR chip is a no-brainer at least.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, it's my pet theory

Apparently USB4 drivers for linux were pretty straightforward as it is mostly the same as... I forget, USB 3.X or TB3

Given how Oculus has been slowly rolling out new features on existing hardware, it wouldn't suprise me if the Quest 2 ships with USB4 chipset and only enables USB 3.2 compatibility (20gbps) out of the box, but later flips on USB4 (40gbps) for improved visual quality etc.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Apollo posted:

Just did my first multiplayer co-op zombies game in Pavlov.

Hahahaha hahahahahaha this is AWESOME.

Pavlov has Zombie Co-op? Is this an official mode or some mod you have to gently caress around with to play?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It’s right in the game!!

Online play - create new lobby CO-OP

Friends only or anyone!

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Got my Quest today. Celebrated by certifying my unemployment benefits in VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://i.imgur.com/GLid05W.mp4

Trying out a PvE mode in my game, jumping around throwing fireballs feels pretty fun so far

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

https://i.imgur.com/GLid05W.mp4

Trying out a PvE mode in my game, jumping around throwing fireballs feels pretty fun so far

Very nice! I'd honestly suggest using a model other than good old Robot Kyle even just for testing, as it's got some really dumb rigging issues and it'll probably save you some headaches down the line.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Very nice! I'd honestly suggest using a model other than good old Robot Kyle even just for testing, as it's got some really dumb rigging issues and it'll probably save you some headaches down the line.

Too late, the class I use to do the IK for it is already the foundational networking class for my player :suicide:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Too late, the class I use to do the IK for it is already the foundational networking class for my player :suicide:

Have fun when your knees bend sideways :v:.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Apollo posted:

It’s right in the game!!

Online play - create new lobby CO-OP

Friends only or anyone!

That's awesome, I'm going to pick up Pavlov soon then... or maybe I'll wait for my G2 to arrive.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

I've been thinking they might finally start doing some of this for years and years since they've been showing it off. The hand tracking is really the only thing they've teased I've seen come to fruition. I'd love if this new quest is going to finally introduce the varifocal/foveated rendering/eye tracking stuff, but I've learned not to expect much at this point.

I'm guessing this new quest will just be a cost reduced version with the rift s/go screen, better ergonomics, and better link support built in.

Hadlock posted:

[...]

I sure hope fixed IPD isn't considered state of the art

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it possible to draw the Index play area the same way you can the Rift? The default Index method seems to be putting the controllers at places and it doesn't seem to give a very good area.

I missed having VR so much though for real. Gonna spend the weekend plugged back into Alyx and Superhot.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 17, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TheKnife posted:

I sure hope fixed IPD isn't considered state of the art

Its not of course, but it is cheaper to manufacture for a product already speculated to be expensive to produce, and they don't have to worry about end users who dont' know what they're doing setting the IPD to one extreme or the other.

I mean, i really hope they don't do this and learned their lesson with the complaints the rift s had, but i've learned to temper my expectations through the floor. Maybe the quest 3 will finally include the eye tracking and varifocal, and with eye tracking would come having the IPD adjusted automatically so its never set wrong. Even then though, I'm skeptical of the quest 3 having those features.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Pierson posted:

Is it possible to draw the Index play area the same way you can the Rift? The default Index method seems to be putting the controllers at places and it doesn't seem to give a very good area.

I missed having VR so much though for real. Gonna spend the weekend plugged back into Alyx and Superhot.

Click ADVANCED

Then just, click the 4 corners of your space and itll auto draw straight lines. If you have to do a "shape" or something, start at one corner, work around using the same clicks. It'll draw the lines to each thing automatically so you should still be able to get furniture marked or whatever if you have a more complex space than "box"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Its not of course, but it is cheaper to manufacture for a product already speculated to be expensive to produce, and they don't have to worry about end users who dont' know what they're doing setting the IPD to one extreme or the other.

I mean, i really hope they don't do this and learned their lesson with the complaints the rift s had, but i've learned to temper my expectations through the floor. Maybe the quest 3 will finally include the eye tracking and varifocal, and with eye tracking would come having the IPD adjusted automatically so its never set wrong. Even then though, I'm skeptical of the quest 3 having those features.

I actually think a single-panel display is largely a dead-end in the industry. The only current headset with it is the Rift S, and you can quite probably follow the ancestry of that single-panel display back to the Lenovo Explorer and PSVR headset. Samsung iterated a mechanical IPD display for their first WMR headset without bothering with the stock reference design, and HP did the same after their first headset. I really doubt Sony will stick with it either for the PSVR2 HMD either.

It is technically cheaper on paper, but I can't help but wonder if the difference in price is lost in an already-niche market where the reduced IPD range means even fewer people to sell to and just hands sales to the competition.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah adjustable IPD is a must. The industry fleetingly experimented going without it but there hasn't been a new HMD without the functionality for a while now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

The industry fleetingly experimented going without it but there hasn't been a new HMD without the functionality for a while now.

I can see how you would get that impression if you're only looking at high end new releases like the Index or the G2, but it's not true at lower prices. Cheaper headsets like the Neo 2 are still releasing with software IPD because the overwhelming majority of consumers just don't care; I think it's optimistic to expect hardware IPD to be anything but a luxury feature in the next few years of headsets.

It's probably fair to say Quest 2 and PSVR 2 will be bellwethers, though; if Quest drops hardware IPD and PSVR doesn't take it on then that'll be the death knell for hardware IPD in all but the most expensive consumer VR. If they both opt into it then it'll be much harder for other headsets to say it's an unnecessary feature.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I was looking to pick up a quest but need to wait for oc7 to see what they announce. i really hope i'm not left in a situation of having to choose between the old quest and a new one with better ergonomics and other fixes, but with the rift s display system instead.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

I can see how you would get that impression if you're only looking at high end new releases like the Index or the G2, but it's not true at lower prices. Cheaper headsets like the Neo 2 are still releasing with software IPD because the overwhelming majority of consumers just don't care; I think it's optimistic to expect hardware IPD to be anything but a luxury feature in the next few years of headsets.

It's probably fair to say Quest 2 and PSVR 2 will be bellwethers, though; if Quest drops hardware IPD and PSVR doesn't take it on then that'll be the death knell for hardware IPD in all but the most expensive consumer VR. If they both opt into it then it'll be much harder for other headsets to say it's an unnecessary feature.

Pico's HMDs are business-oriented headsets, expectations and use cases are quite different from consumer/gaming oriented HMDs, which is what this thread is mostly about.

Admittedly I have a personal stake in it, software IPD has never worked for me. I think it would be a big mistake for Quest 2/Pro/Whatever to drop physical IPD though, as it would be a considerable mark against it being an all-in-one HMD.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I hear the Index basestations can be tricky and prone to failure. Should I be using power management to keep them turned off when I'm not in VR, or would several-times-daily powerups/downs cause more wear than just leaving them on all the time?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

a bit of a bummer thought i had - https://www.oculus.com/blog/half-dome-updates-frl-explores-more-comfortable-compact-vr-prototypes-for-work/
they mention "For Work" and other such things in the body of the post. could be that they're going the "no, this one is for Businesses™" route like the Vive Pro and others went, resulting in extremely high prices that normal people won't/can't pay.
if that's what they do this year i'm going to be seriously loving disappointed

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Pierson posted:

I hear the Index basestations can be tricky and prone to failure. Should I be using power management to keep them turned off when I'm not in VR, or would several-times-daily powerups/downs cause more wear than just leaving them on all the time?

I've got 4 lighthouses, had 3 of them for a year, another 6 months. No issues here, I use power management on them and use them pretty much every day. I know a lot of people who dont have any issues with LH2, but I know a few people who have gone through a bunch of them.
My only suspicion is its power related, though to really isolate that you would need an AVR power protector which is a bit big and bulky for a wall wart.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Inacio posted:

a bit of a bummer thought i had - https://www.oculus.com/blog/half-dome-updates-frl-explores-more-comfortable-compact-vr-prototypes-for-work/
they mention "For Work" and other such things in the body of the post. could be that they're going the "no, this one is for Businesses™" route like the Vive Pro and others went, resulting in extremely high prices that normal people won't/can't pay.
if that's what they do this year i'm going to be seriously loving disappointed

Abrash talked about it a bit in his talk, but they're basically trying to solve the specific problem of "what kind of headset would you need to replace the experience of being physically present in the same office as other people" and I'm guessing that any theoretical headset that could do that would by necessity need to be pretty expensive right now, I think they're doing that in hopes of driving research, not exactly with the goal of producing a specific headset they want to sell for $$$ if that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The only problem I have with my 2.0s is that they don't always wake up, sometimes need to unplug and replug them.