Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

hawowanlawow posted:

always sunny is good

you know when to laugh because it's actually funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RFC2324 posted:

I like sitcoms :(

*tries to think of a good sitcom*

*Fails*

Golden Girls

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
How I Met Your Mother is good has good seasons despite having a laugh track.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Always Sunny and Curb have no laugh track and are the funniest poo poo ever.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

wizzardstaff posted:

How I Met Your Mother is good has good seasons despite having a laugh track.

The finale was so bad it cancelled their next show in pre production.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like game of thrones the finale was so bad it completely erased any cultural impact it could’ve had in the future other than being given as an example of series that totally whizzed any goodwill right down their pants

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Schitt's Creek is hilarious, but i dunno if you can consider it a sitcom

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think a lot of MASH and Red Dwarf are funny as poo poo and the laugh track is good in both

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RFC2324 posted:

I'm going to defend this slightly and say that decades of experience and what is effectively muscle memory are likely driving the laugh break pauses. Colbert has been pausing for laughter after his jokes basically all his life. Hard to stop now.
he was great with the Upright Citizens Brigade I have faith he can cut laugh break pauses if he needs to

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Like game of thrones the finale was so bad it completely erased any cultural impact it could’ve had in the future other than being given as an example of series that totally whizzed any goodwill right down their pants
Game of Thrones was exceptionally bad -- they just rushed it with reduced episode-count seasons for no obvious reason? I think it could have been totally salvageable.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Schitt's Creek is hilarious, but i dunno if you can consider it a sitcom
Also no laugh track.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Have some memes from the only good sitcom

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

teethgrinder posted:

Game of Thrones was exceptionally bad -- they just rushed it with reduced episode-count seasons for no obvious reason? I think it could have been totally salvageable.

The showrunners had a deal to go make a Star Wars property, for which they would have been paid $Texas. They no longer have that deal.

which is honestly a shame, I would love to see how badly they could gently caress up some star wars films

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's the thing, they wouldn't have hosed up Star Wars at all. GoT went to poo poo when they got to the end of the books and started going hog wild because there was nobody telling them not to. Disney is infamous for keeping a tight leash on their properties, they would have slapped those grubby little pizza hands at the first sign of trouble.

It wouldn't have been nearly as interesting, probably wouldn't have hit the same highs, but it definitely wouldn't have hit the same lows.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

I like sitcoms :(

*tries to think of a good sitcom*

*Fails*

Newsradio before Phil Hartman was killed?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i, a smart person, only ever watched the equivalent of ~2 GoT episodes and dismissed it for the nerd horse poo poo that it always was.

feels good to have the last laugh as everyone bitched and moaned about the last season

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

Also no laugh track.

The obvious reason is that the actors were paid by the episode.

quote:

Game of Thrones has an ensemble cast estimated to be the largest on television.[10] In 2014, several actors' contracts were renegotiated to include a seventh-season option, with salary increases which reportedly made them among the highest-paid performers on cable television.[11] In 2016, several actor's contracts were again renegotiated, reportedly increasing the salary of five of the main cast members to $1 million per episode for the final two seasons, which would make them the highest-paid actors on television.[12]

the show became a big deal, the actors got new contracts that reflected that in their per-episode pay, and then the final two seasons just purely coincidentally had shorter seasons with longer episodes.

As for the quality of the show, well, it took a big hit as soon as the showrunners had to start writing their own material instead of piggybacking on things already written by a better writer.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Foxfire_ posted:

Newsradio before Phil Hartman was killed?

Absolutely my favorite sitcom. They did their best after Hartman, which was still far and away better than most of their contemporaries, but a tragedy like that is hard to bounce back from.

I still have to skip "Bill Moves On" when I rewatch. It's a beautiful episode of television, but, yeah.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is Scrubs a sitcom? I liked it.

I thought My Name is Earl was pretty entertaining, personally.

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1283663094183419904

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Jul 16, 2020

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

oh man, what I wouldn't do for a jerrycan full of wurze.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

vyelkin posted:

As for the quality of the show, well, it took a big hit as soon as the showrunners had to start writing their own material instead of piggybacking on things already written by a better writer.
Considering GRRM, this is a harsh burn.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/homosuper1or/status/1283176373893296128

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Game of Thrones: Brotherhood is gonna be great though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

mysterious frankie posted:

oh man, what I wouldn't do for a jerrycan full of wurze.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I'm the gross one who goes "I would like holsteiner schnitzel and a liter of wurze. Extra anchovies. Maybe a dialysis machine if you have one on hand."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Calaveron posted:

it is really amazing how it went from being a global phenomenon to absolute silence basically overnight.

what happened to those three(?) spin-off shows they were supposed to be making? all dead i assume?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Data Graham posted:

Golden Girls

Dunno man...

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Thanks to my philosophy major I really, really appreciate this.

It’s finally paying dividends!

Here ya go

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Third Rock From the Sun was pretty stupid-serviceable.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

RandomFerret posted:

Disney is infamous for keeping a tight leash on their properties, they would have slapped those grubby little pizza hands at the first sign of trouble.

Did you see the recent Star Wars movies?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

vyelkin posted:

The obvious reason is that the actors were paid by the episode.

the show became a big deal, the actors got new contracts that reflected that in their per-episode pay, and then the final two seasons just purely coincidentally had shorter seasons with longer episodes.

Reportedly HBO wanted to give them another season or so of space and was willing to give them the budget they needed to land it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I think the show runners really were just that loving stupid

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It was teh most popular series ever, of course HBO wanted it to keep going. It's nuts that they ended it so abruptly

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I think the show runners really were just that loving stupid
They had a cameo with their stupid poo poo dragon to help torpedo the last season of another HBO show.

Game of thrones takes place in the Westworld Universe

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CopperHound posted:

Game of thrones takes place in the Westworld Universe

That's.... Extremely debatable

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
As I understand it the fans began to impact the writing choices,

Loops of

Foreshadow
Fans guess and spray it all over the internet
Writers are forced to change

Began to occur

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

nexus6 posted:

Did you see the recent Star Wars movies?

Star wars tv shows have always been better than the movies, just look at maldalorian, clone wars and ewoks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I remain unsold on Mandalorian. It is a very good western, but westerns as a genre are very bad.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Jestery posted:

As I understand it the fans began to impact the writing choices,

Loops of

Foreshadow
Fans guess and spray it all over the internet
Writers are forced to change

Began to occur

...I'm pretty sure if you foreshadow something and people guess it right it's really bad to change it just for the sake of a surprise instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's extremely bad form, yes.