Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

untzthatshit posted:

I had a run recently where I ran into that event where it adds purge to a card, and I chose a Steward as usual forgetting that I had the daisy artifact that makes cards with purge have consume instead. There's some potential in that combo for sure...

I’ve gotten that with the skull, then cloned it. Pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

untzthatshit posted:

I had a run recently where I ran into that event where it adds purge to a card, and I chose a Steward as usual forgetting that I had the daisy artifact that makes cards with purge have consume instead. There's some potential in that combo for sure...

It's only +20/+20. The spell railspike is +20 power and makes it zero cost as well. Getting the Daisy and then removing the consume means you get 1 cost and +20 power but it's eating both upgrade slots so maybe a wash. The monster one would be better if it also gave 0 cost, so the best use case is probably an unupgraded multihit spell.

On that note, however, it's good to point out that all event upgrades ignore upgrade slots, so use them on fully upgraded stuff as often as possible. This also applies to Automatic Railspikes and Spikedriver Colony: Upgrade them before you start making copies! Those upgrades will also be applied to all copies made and still there after the whole set gets upgraded.

I have a bit of a process now where I only look at the shop, not buy anything yet, then check caverns. This helps make event choices towards what can be immediately improved better than just which shop is immediately available.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Melting Remnants’ new and improved Harvest champion is the best tank in the game, yowza

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Meanwhile Onehorn's Tome is dumpster tier now. That nerf would make sense if it was 3 energy, tops.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Today's challenge is weird. Purge on death with Melting?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ranzear posted:

Meanwhile Onehorn's Tome is dumpster tier now. That nerf would make sense if it was 3 energy, tops.

What was the nerf? I thought it went from 5 to 6 cost.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Ranzear posted:

Yeah, it probably had too high of a win rate entirely due to how great it is with Volatile Gauge. Same with the 4 and 10+ energy hellhorned units. It was already fairly priced, Gauge was nerfed, they should have left it alone, or perhaps they didn't consider how it performed outside of those decks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly one of the biggest drawbacks of this game is that there are so many cards that can only be reasonably played with Volatile Gauge.

In StS the only cards you had that cost more than 3 energy were Meteor Strike (which generates energy), Eviscerate (which lowers its cost when you discard cards), and Sands of Time (Which lowers in cost every turn).

Meanwhile in Monster Train there are 6 cards priced at 4+ energy, with one being 10 base and now two at 6 base which means you can't really take them at all before Daedalus and also you run into serious issues ever playing them if they're things like Consumer of Crowns or Shadowseige

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zore posted:

Honestly one of the biggest drawbacks of this game is that there are so many cards that can only be reasonably played with Volatile Gauge.

In StS the only cards you had that cost more than 3 energy were Meteor Strike (which generates energy), Eviscerate (which lowers its cost when you discard cards), and Sands of Time (Which lowers in cost every turn).

Also Omniscience and Blood for Blood. But Omni, like Eviscerate, lowers to 3 cost when upgraded and BfB lowers in cost when you lose HP. So there is only one card - Meteor Strike - that cannot reasonably be played regardless of your relics.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

I am admittedly bad at this game but this was such a dumb run. Park Rector, Lady, and my multistrike Draff at the bottom so they can comfortably kill everything. Stick Tycoon and the other two Draff's on the second floor so they can take care of anything that survives the bottom floor. This also let me collect stupid amounts of gold since the Draff's dying activated Tycoon's effect. Everytime they died they just came back with another 10 attack plus the extra from anything they killed. Easily the most busted run I've had yet in this game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Is there a schedule for when beta will become live?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the new patch is live now

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I finally beat the 2nd covenant, I did an umbra hell horned team making my penumbra go the monstrous tree and stacking on Immortal Trade over and over again so the Seraph kept trying to kill him but I continued to regain health faster than I wss losing it. I love this game

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jedit posted:

What was the nerf? I thought it went from 5 to 6 cost.

Still 5 cost, but now applies "Fragile", the unit will die if it loses any health.

I assume stacking armor prevents 'health loss', but now there's too much external support for the card to still cost 5. It could cost 4 as an uncommon.

Contrast with Furnace Tap, which costs 2 and also gives rage 3 and by the time you're ready to play it the emberdrain isn't a huge downside. Hell, Emberdrain is an irrelevant mechanic if you just get a bunch of Perils of Production and draw, which IMO is the best way to play Umbra because gorge scales so slowly. Immortal Trade is so nice in this setup too.

And ... what the poo poo? Perils of Production gives 3 ember now instead of just 2. What a hilariously unnecessary buff on a common. This is now the only way to play Umbra.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Gauge nerf was probably needed, but man is it a bit of a trap now. I didn't quite realize that it had changed from 0-3 cost to 1-3 cost and it nearly cost me my run, as I was running a build with double incant + two sap totems (yes, applying 4 sap per spell is, well, nuts), and was running a combination of good + lovely spells. I didn't catch that all of a sudden my lovely spells started costing a lot, and while my good spells were often cheaper, it was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

I get the logic - you can further reduce spell costs via upgrading, and since those spell cost reductions stack with gauge it's very strong (+ the card draw is amazing), but without those cost reductions it gets very dicey to use.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

And ... what the poo poo? Perils of Production gives 3 ember now instead of just 2. What a hilariously unnecessary buff on a common. This is now the only way to play Umbra.

DL

lol, yup...

500+ damage from rage with trample was loving unstoppable even against purifying Seraph. I didn't even get or need Furnace Tap.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Umbra primary feels totally busted now in almost every combination, but I can't figure out anything I don't hate for Melted - they seem like they'd be incredibly strong alone, but every partner faction is just junking up my deck. I don't want to heal, morsels are useless to me now, etc. Stygian is probably the least offensive but it still doesn't feel great.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Gotta say I'm not a fan of the sweeping emberdrain unit with 130 health.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah that's a combo I've always figured needed a toning down. It's bad enough that you'd need a Swift unit for it to not be guaranteed to apply the effect, but then it has a fuckton of health, more than any regular unit can put out let alone sweep units.

I don't even know how to see them coming yet, else I'd actually plan ahead for once and make sure I have Resin Removal or something, or just be playing something like that Umbra deck above and just ignore it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think they only show up for the seraph that puts curses in your deck. I guess the idea is there's a synergy between choking your mana and making you spend mana to play curses.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That's a Fel variant, not a Seraph variant. Seraph is only buff stripping, sap, or spell consume. They aren't in that Fel variant. I think they're in the second-to-last battle.

So yeah, those guys just sneak up on you.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Those guys should have a status that the opposite of quick so they attack LAST in a round, so heavy hitters have a chance of taking him down first. Though putting 3 keywords on a single guy would be pretty crazy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When the spell consume Seraph does his “cry” that throws one of those three health guys on a floor, iirc he also adds a couple of negative cards to your deck

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I don't think I've run into Spell Consume Seraph in like ten runs. You're probably right.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Yeah, spell consume seraph puts blight shards in your deck, I guess the combo there is that drawing more cruft makes it harder to not consume your valuable spells . But I'm pretty sure it's buff/debuff remover seraph who comes with emberwings.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
consume seraph -> blights

sap seraph -> shadewings (15x2 light enemies)

purge seraph -> pyrewings (drain sweepers)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

To be faaaair... Any run I have that gets to Seraph either completely facerolls him and I don't even notice the mechanics, or is a complete loving clown fiesta because he's hard countering me and I will lose with him either having still more than 2000hp or less than 100hp (confirmation bias I'm sure.)

I'll definitely acknowledge that paying attention to what mechanics are coming up would help my winrate, but they just don't loving matter at all on most of my good ones that it's almost more fun to just ignore them and go for the broken poo poo.

Meanwhile I watch NorthernLion play this after he reached A15 on all Spire characters and his conservative plays are what gently caress him over every single time. Recently he had a maximized and damage added multihit animus and the opportunity to dupe it and for some reason just didn't. 160+ damage a round and like 80hp and I think he duped the Formless Child trying to play some shenanigans with it when just being aggressive and doubling up on his best card easily could have carried him. He definitely had 6 capacity on all floors and I think his middle floor was just empty for the last two battles of the game.

quote:

On your first turn, you are guaranteed to draw your champion + at least one banner unit (so no imps, cuttlehexes and other "support" units like morsels etc), the rest of your hand is random draw. After your first turn, if you have any banner units left in your deck, you are guaranteed to draw at least one per turn. Once you've drawn all your banner units, all draws are randomized.

This is some useful info from his comments. I figured it was something like this on at least turn one.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 17, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The new reform-focused Rector Flicker is fun as hell. I spent this run parking him on the top floor and sending in glass cannons to die and be reformed.

Late battles consisted of the Legion of Wax murdering everything while losing at least its first form, then me reforming or Formless Childing it and tossing it on another floor, each time enhancing Legion with two holdover Waxen Spikes (I had the X+3 artifact) to give it ridiculous amounts of attack (since the child waxes inherit "enhancements," which Waxen Spikes provides). Whenever my Memories of the Melted came around (gain 1 ember for each friendly death this fight; I'd removed its consume), I could use a super Waxen Spike that would give like 80+ attack.

Before the final battle, I bought the artifact that summons four random units to the middle floor, which ended up being one of the Legions and several of my support units. I decided to use the Waxen Spikes on that floor each turn (since I had two, I could increase the burning timer comfortably) and just let the other Legion continually reform itself on the bottom floor.

Seraph nearly died from flying past the middle floor and getting smacked around. I was looking forward to that floor finishing him off, but he got so worn down before the final wave that he succumbed to Legion on the bottom floor, as it had gotten beefy as hell from the constant reforms.

As a bonus, I had the artifact that restores Pyre health when you play a consume card, so I could restore 10-20 health each battle.

Easily the most fun I've had with a Remnant deck so far.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ranzear posted:

Still 5 cost, but now applies "Fragile", the unit will die if it loses any health.

I assume stacking armor prevents 'health loss', but now there's too much external support for the card to still cost 5. It could cost 4 as an uncommon.

Contrast with Furnace Tap, which costs 2 and also gives rage 3 and by the time you're ready to play it the emberdrain isn't a huge downside. Hell, Emberdrain is an irrelevant mechanic if you just get a bunch of Perils of Production and draw, which IMO is the best way to play Umbra because gorge scales so slowly. Immortal Trade is so nice in this setup too.

Emberdrain on your own cards often isn't relevant anyway, if you play them on units that are about to die.

The nerf to Tome seems a bit much (although Remnant won't mind), but buffing Perils is absurd. It was already probably the best common in the game because you could almost always play it on a Morsel that was about to be consumed and get 2 ember for free.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Ember drain enemies are absolute bullshit

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bruceski posted:

Today's challenge is weird. Purge on death with Melting?

Endless counters purge. Not sure about reform, didn't try that kind of rector.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah understanding draw priority is essential, it's the one kind of broken mechanic in the game that keeps it working.

Draw priority is why upgrading train stewards with the multihit damage shield train steward buff relic doesn't work as well as it should - draw priority does not apply to train stewards so your largestoned train steward can be on the bottom of your deck whereas you will be guaranteed to draw your largestoned animus of will.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

No Wave posted:

Yeah understanding draw priority is essential, it's the one kind of broken mechanic in the game that keeps it working.

Draw priority is why upgrading train stewards with the multihit damage shield train steward buff relic doesn't work as well as it should - draw priority does not apply to train stewards so your largestoned train steward can be on the bottom of your deck whereas you will be guaranteed to draw your largestoned animus of will.
How does it work and where can I read about it?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This thing Ranzear quoted sums it up:

quote:

On your first turn, you are guaranteed to draw your champion + at least one banner unit (so no imps, cuttlehexes and other "support" units like morsels etc), the rest of your hand is random draw. After your first turn, if you have any banner units left in your deck, you are guaranteed to draw at least one per turn. Once you've drawn all your banner units, all draws are randomized.

I don't know if there's an official statement on it. There should be but it's kind of an awkward smoothing mechanic so I wouldn't be surprised if they were quiet about it.

I don't think it's a great mechanic because it pushes you to run fewer units, but it's totally essential and the game is fun even with it being a necessary thing.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Train Stewards are still poo poo even with relic help though. Like you shouldn't path into steel merchant if the only monster upgrade you have is steward. And it's by design imo. Like relic buffed stewards let you bypass mediocre banner picks early game in favour of making your cool spells even better which is usually not an option. Don't keep stewards in your deck ever what I mean to say!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

No Wave posted:

I don't know if there's an official statement on it. There should be but it's kind of an awkward smoothing mechanic so I wouldn't be surprised if they were quiet about it.

I don't think it's a great mechanic because it pushes you to run fewer units, but it's totally essential and the game is fun even with it being a necessary thing.
Ah, this makes sense. I noticed draws didn't follow the expected distribution, but I haven't paid enough attention to see how it worked. I did notice spells come up less frequently than I'd expect and that the end of my deck rarely had meaningful guys. The train/imp mechanics really threw me off though, because in my head those are just normal guys to put on the board. I haven't played enough games to identify it wasn't just rng.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 17, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ugusername posted:

Train Stewards are still poo poo even with relic help though. Like you shouldn't path into steel merchant if the only monster upgrade you have is steward. And it's by design imo. Like relic buffed stewards let you bypass mediocre banner picks early game in favour of making your cool spells even better which is usually not an option. Don't keep stewards in your deck ever what I mean to say!
What's bad about a 10/12 multiattacker with damage shield 2? The only reason it doesn't work as a priority upgrade is how drawing units works.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 17, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They buffed that artifact right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah it doubles their stats as well as adding the multihit and damage shield now. It makes the first four levels a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ugusername posted:

Yeah I got to ascension 15 before I even golded them. Then I realized I hadn't and it was bothering me so I left one in my deck that I just never played for a run