Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Yeah I’m surprised it took this long to happen, that looked pretty horrific when it aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The swing rope broke on that? I didn't realize that and thought he just didn't make the full swing and cracked his leg on the landing platform.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just looked that up and like, what the hell Australian Survivor? Sue those guys, guy I don't know.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Sunday Burquest Diagnosed with Esophageal and Ovarian Cancer
https://people.com/tv/survivor-contestant-sunday-burquest-diagnosed-with-esophageal-and-ovarian-cancer/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh jeez.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Survivor not coming back in the fall for the obvious reasons so many things are not... However, might this just be the end for US Survivor? I would be surprised if it just resumes next year business as usual. Even before pandemic I was slightly worried season 40 would be the last, that's certainly THE theme to go with for your final survivor season, right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I know they had kicked around the idea of filming domestically somewhere instead of going to Fiji, and they had a cast and theme lined up for season 41...so they might still be in business

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i can't imagine why CBS would want to just stop printing easy money

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Khanstant posted:

Survivor not coming back in the fall for the obvious reasons so many things are not... However, might this just be the end for US Survivor? I would be surprised if it just resumes next year business as usual. Even before pandemic I was slightly worried season 40 would be the last, that's certainly THE theme to go with for your final survivor season, right?

They wrapped casting on S41 (and I believe S42 as well) but I know all that went on hold. During the S40 finale Jeff was like "hey if you're 16 or 17 maybe you can be on our next season" so i'm assuming they're gonna film...something domestically? an american passport isn't worth the paper it's printed on right now anyhow. I know other game shows (eg Weakest Link) are trying to film as early as August but survivor definitely presents its own set of challenges compared to something where you literally stand 6 feet away from everyone at all times

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spokes posted:

They wrapped casting on S41 (and I believe S42 as well) but I know all that went on hold. During the S40 finale Jeff was like "hey if you're 16 or 17 maybe you can be on our next season" so i'm assuming they're gonna film...something domestically? an american passport isn't worth the paper it's printed on right now anyhow. I know other game shows (eg Weakest Link) are trying to film as early as August but survivor definitely presents its own set of challenges compared to something where you literally stand 6 feet away from everyone at all times

It does, but at the same time it's completely isolated by design. They would really just have to quarantine the crew

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

Survivor still pulls in tons of viewers, why would they stop?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably costs them nothing to make like most reality shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For some reason reality show fans always seem convinced their shows are going to get cancelled even though like the entire reason reality shows exist is because they're dirt cheap to make and are appointment television.

I mean everything gets cancelled eventually but once they feel they can pick up production CBS is gonna have a need for new shows with quick production turn around while their other shows go into longer productions.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Khanstant posted:

Survivor still pulls in viewers and is likely very cheap to make compared to sitcoms. There's basically no reason why they would stop making the show. Even if Jeff were to retire, Australian Survivor has shown that somebody else can likely fill his shoes and be fine.

They were paying Charlie Sheen $1.8 million an episode of Two and a half men... compare that to just flying a bunch of crew out to Fiji for a couple months...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
They’re probably going to have to film in the US for the next couple of seasons.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Survivor: St. Thomas

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 16, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Survivor still pulls in viewers and is likely very cheap to make compared to sitcoms. There's basically no reason why they would stop making the show. Even if Jeff were to retire, Australian Survivor has shown that somebody else can likely fill his shoes and be fine.

They were paying Charlie Sheen $1.8 million an episode of Two and a half men... compare that to just flying a bunch of crew out to Fiji for a couple months...

Fair enough, just paranoid they'll replace it with a Teen Sheldon or another cop/military show,

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I feel like Big Brother would be an easy show to just keep producing, as long as they can sell people on watching a bunch of people locked in a house for weeks being entertaining in 2020.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem is the massive crew it takes to film it.

Also yeah. There's something fairly "And?" about the idea of show whose entire premise is watching people lose their minds in lockdown at the moment.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

bring back solitary, obviously

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

CW has a british reality show starting tonight, Killer Camp, that might be worth a watch if you're desperate. Sounds closer to The Mole than Survivor though. Based on 80s slasher flicks one of the contestants is killing the others off and they have to figure out who.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bagrada posted:

CW has a british reality show starting tonight, Killer Camp, that might be worth a watch if you're desperate. Sounds closer to The Mole than Survivor though. Based on 80s slasher flicks one of the contestants is killing the others off and they have to figure out who.

I think that's the retooled Friday the 13th reality show that was pitched to CW and ITV about 5 years back?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

I think that's the retooled Friday the 13th reality show that was pitched to CW and ITV about 5 years back?

I dunno how accurate this is going to end up being, but this article raises some points towards the end that make this whole thing sound very weird.

Essentially, that there's no game other than doing the challenges for the money pot, (No quizzes, no guessing who the killer is) and that the "Killer"/Producers just pick who goes home every week out of the entire pool of contestants except the person who won immunity and there's no logic or explanation to how it's chosen.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2020/07/killer-camp-cw-review/

quote:

So how are the bottom two decided? Who decides which contestant to kill off and eliminate from the competition? And why the heck doesn’t the show tell us this?

I asked The CW, and got the rather interesting and reasonable response from the show’s producers:

“The bottom two are determined like this—one of the two is the person the killer has chosen to remove from camp that evening. The other person was chosen by the producers to be the most dramatic person that could be chosen. In [the case of one of the first two] was considered by some in camp to be acting guiltily so putting [that person] in the bottom 2 felt like it might encourage debate. The person eliminated is always decided by the ‘killer’.”

In other words, the contestant chosen to be the murderer—who’s benefitting financially from the cast’s incompetence at the challenges—picks one person, and the producers decide the other member of the bottom two based on who will make the best television.

Bummer if true, since the premise sounds like good fun.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It seems to say it's whoever the killer picked to eliminate, and the producer choice is always safe.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

bagrada posted:

how soon we forget Whodunnit?

ok wait it's been 7 fuckin years maybe not so much soon

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Did someone say “Murder in Small Town X”?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was gonna DVR the series but now I think I'm just gonna rewatch Harper's Island.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Spokes posted:

This guy knows what the gently caress is up

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Spokes posted:

God, sign me up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

STAC Goat posted:

Harper's Island.

I liked that show a lot when it aired.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Spokes posted:

This is my dream.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Spokes posted:

hell yeah, I'll apply all over again

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SalTheBard posted:

I liked that show a lot when it aired.

It was a fun idea that I'm surprised hasn't been tried more.

Sadly its not on Prime anymore. But it is only $10 and I'm kind of tempted.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Killer Camp is not great. It's only 5 hours so I'll finish it. It's a lot like The Mole with generic challenges where incompetence outweighs sabotage. Strategy to suss out the killer is idle speculation using clues that are useless personal trivia. The immunity winner gifts a second immunity and the episode 2 challenge is a Coconut Chop variation which is surprisingly thoughtful for such a dud game. The murder rules are dumb and arbitrary as was posted but they are pretty funny if not quite Whodunnit levels of amazing. Ep 2: Someone rides a Segway into a neck-high razor wire and gets decapitated.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Lord Bude posted:

They’re probably going to have to film in the US for the next couple of seasons.

Does anyone remember that one...I want to say Discovery Channel show about surviving in a hypothetical post-apocalyptic world, and to get the setting, they put the people in post-Katrina New Orleans?

That except its literally anywhere in America. You just have to survive Corona.

EDIT: The Colony!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They should just find some Mine Ghost town in the USA and film a season of Survivor there with the old rundown buildings.

Would probably be somewhat interesting, although not on a beach and can't have the ladies wearing bikinis without it being completely obvious it's just a TNA tactic.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm sick of islands and beaches on survivor

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Boxman posted:

Does anyone remember that one...I want to say Discovery Channel show about surviving in a hypothetical post-apocalyptic world, and to get the setting, they put the people in post-Katrina New Orleans?

That except its literally anywhere in America. You just have to survive Corona.

EDIT: The Colony!

That show was so corny but I loving loved it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i'm in the late stages of casting for a game show and they plan to film in LA *in august*

ha ha ha ha ha ha! okay! y'all do that! just let me know where to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Kid Nation 2