Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

Follow-up question: Why does even a real Twitter admin account have the ability to tweet as another account in the first place?

Not how it works.

You use the admin account to override/change the password recovery email address. Then kick off a password reset and have it send the recovery link to the new email address.

There's already some evidence out there that this is what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also, it was just for money.

https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/1283637565778616320

how's about that employee integrity there

Memento posted:

good company, perfectly normal

Memento fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 16, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1280675626635198467

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I find it difficult to believe that anyone paid them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ralph Hurley posted:

I resign as president and I gently caress off forever
Holy poo poo imagine what would happen if they did that.

It'd also be a better way to get rich off the stock market than the bitcoin scam.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Why would you trust your pet's food dispensary to a smart device, that's literally the only reason it cares who you are

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Thanks to this thread I’ve been watching Dashcam Owners Australia compilations, and I just have to cringe, I recognise way too many locations from those videos.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Why would you trust your pet's food dispensary to a smart device, that's literally the only reason it cares who you are

Why would you want any local device dependent on an Internet service? There's been a bunch of examples of people getting exploited or totally screwed over by this, from printers to speakers to loving "smart" lightbulbs. It's such an inherently vulnerable and flawed system the schad is that people keep falling for it over and over again.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bargearse posted:

Thanks to this thread I’ve been watching Dashcam Owners Australia compilations, and I just have to cringe, I recognise way too many locations from those videos.

I've seen my apartment building in one of them. Got a bit sad I wasn't on the balcony doing something to see the accident when it happened.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why would you want any local device dependent on an Internet service? There's been a bunch of examples of people getting exploited or totally screwed over by this, from printers to speakers to loving "smart" lightbulbs. It's such an inherently vulnerable and flawed system the schad is that people keep falling for it over and over again.

an awful lot of humans will trade a mountain of security for an ounce of convenience, and grifters who realise this will keep getting rich

Without knowing anything about it, I assume the original owners of that Petnet shite made out like absolute bandits, then when the winds started blowing against them, stripped the metaphorical copper out of the walls and bailed

edit:

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1283672377436626945

Have we had a ruling in this thread about laughing at people who call the 'rona a hoax and then are immediately directly affected by it?

Memento fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 16, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/jFC16gR.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/WHTXgIv.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/dMC5Juz.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/Qi5mJwA.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/WcW4EV9.gifv

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I love that guilty dog desperately trying to not make eye contact and throwing the side eye to see if it's safe

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Inceltown posted:

I've seen my apartment building in one of them. Got a bit sad I wasn't on the balcony doing something to see the accident when it happened.

There's an intersection not far from my apartment building that's been in a few of them, each time I pause to see if maybe I was nearby at the time and just didn't see whatever happened.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ante posted:

What would you tweet from Trump's account, if you could

It would be hilarious/awful

i would take a gigantic poo poo on mike pence for being disloyal, obliquely hinting at something he did, and say i am going to replace him on the ticket then do absolutely nothing else

evangelicals would poo poo bricks and even when trump says he was hacked, there would always be that voice in the back of pences mind that maybe he wasnt

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

ante posted:

What would you tweet from Trump's account, if you could

It would be hilarious/awful

We begin bombing in five minutes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

vortmax posted:

We begin bombing in five minutes.

There's already a lot of random violence against Asian-Americans in the US, if a twitter hacker hinted that Trump was going to nuke China then god only knows what would happen :(

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I'd find someone Trump DMs a lot and make a tweet that looked like he thought he was DMing them. And it would say "Bob, I loving wish Ivana had aborted Don Jr like I asked. God drat gently caress up."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly I'd probably just leak all of his DMs, I bet there's some real good stuff in there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'd post "wear a mask if you love America" so I could watch him vehemently deny writing it later

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

hawowanlawow posted:

I'd post "wear a mask if you love America" so I could watch him vehemently deny writing it later

Honestly this would probably do the most good. I was originally thinking either "shred the epstein docs" or "trans women are women, trans men are men, black lives matter" but I suppose the opportunity to save lives would be too tempting.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

hawowanlawow posted:

The Yes Men technique, as illustrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWlvBro9eI

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

I can't believe people fell for that Bitcoin Twitter scam. I know they were the actual accounts but c'mon son, why would they need your money to give you money?

The most schaden thing about this is that Bitcoiners usually hold themselves up as "PRO COMPUTER MINING RIG" guys and a bunch of them just got taken in by the equivalent of "YOU HAVE WON 2 FREE IPADS AS THE 1,000,000TH VISITOR!"

Yes. People are just handing out money on Twitter. Just like some random-rear end website is handing out thousands of dollars worth of electronics because you visited them. Lucky you! Listen, just send the money FIRST, and you'll get your reward, LATER! Pinky swear!

There's a sucker born every minute, but man, nowadays, there's a sucker made every nanosecond seems like.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What's strange about this is you'd think there's a narrow range between people internet-savvy enough to buy and send a Bitcoin, but not savvy enough so as to fall for that obvious scam

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They could have put short positions on a bunch of the owners' stock and then tweeted out distressing business news. People short Amazon/Tesla/etc all the time, and the market panics more over CEO tweets than it does on actual quarterly reports. They could have walked away with tons of legit money that would be almost impossible to trace (unless they get caught by for the scam itself) since they could have bought the positions weeks in advance and just cashed out when everyone else was too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It took several years but describing Bitcoin as "idling your car to solve sudoku puzzles you can trade for heroin" is the best we'll ever get.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Expertise isn't cross domains. It comes up over and over again that people really good at one "smart people" thing convince themselves their smarter at everything. You get so many doctors, engineers, etc. falling for this because they know they're too smart to fall for it. Then it becomes an ego threat to admit being scammed, so what intelligence they do have gets diverted into arguing "no I haven't, you just don't get it."

Also I'd say simply owning Bitcoin is a strong marker the person is highly susceptible to bullshit.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Savvy people and bitcoin is a partnership that dissolved a long time ago at this point

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
it's not that bad, just send your bitcoin to this address for a refund.

73 75 63 6b 20 6d 79 20 62 61 6c 6c 73

not a real buttcoin address

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Strumpie posted:

it's not that bad, just send your bitcoin to this address for a refund.

73 75 63 6b 20 6d 79 20 62 61 6c 6c 73

not a real buttcoin address

Hello, this is Homer Simpson, AKA Happy Dude. The court has ordered me to call every person in town to apologize for my telemarketing scam. I'm sorry. If you can find it in your heart to forgive me, send one dollar to Sorry Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

JonathonSpectre posted:

Yes. People are just handing out money on Twitter. Just like some random-rear end website is handing out thousands of dollars worth of electronics because you visited them. Lucky you! Listen, just send the money FIRST, and you'll get your reward, LATER! Pinky swear!

this actually happens on occasion. rihanna paid off a bunch of student loans. there's plenty of it happening due to the protests too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

this actually happens on occasion. rihanna paid off a bunch of student loans. there's plenty of it happening due to the protests too.

How many of those people had to send Rihanna $1000 to get started?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The General posted:

Uh, don't be ridiculous dude it's absolutely a thing. You get an email from Barbadian royalty asking for money, you send her money, and then she pays off your student loans.

Wow some people.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

The General posted:

only the ones asking for feet pics

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
https://twitter.com/StephenPunwasi/status/1283917874747383808?s=09

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/holycow_inc/status/1283768538512203776?s=21

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This is art

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

He's dumb, but those chucklefucks are extremely annoying.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I used to work with a guy who universally sucked, was like some sort of retro conservative but was like 28 and was terrible to work with cuz he was so closed minded and thought his way was the only way, and subscribed to poo poo humor like about IT and i.t. workers, just garbage person. Worse than basic rear end white guy. He got poached by twitter. Guy was definitely a facist

and you know what, he's probably involved in recovering from this incident right now. so extra gently caress em. hopin he's on an infinitely long conference bring with the C suite, long long LONG into the night and morning

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 17, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

He's dumb, but those chucklefucks are extremely annoying.

Sorry that some people laughed at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Sorry that some people laughed at you.

If only I'd lined myself up for turn on yyoor moniter you could have really struck comedy gold.