Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Covid is taking me from a lurker to a poster, not sure where else to vent this, so here is as good a place as any.

I'm a farmer, I'm also pretty paranoid about Covid. I've been essentially quarantined with my family since March, no restaurants, no gatherings, grocery shopping done by pickup, etc. But today I had to take a meeting with the two guys who are going to harvest my crop in a couple of weeks. As a matter of course, both my foreman and I met them outside, we both refused (politely) to shake their hands, and we conducted the whole meeting outside, roughly 10 feet apart, for about 5 minutes. As the meeting wraps up and I turn to walk away, they say, "Yeah, so we had a little setback the other day. One of our guys tested positive for the Covid. We're waiting for our test results, but he should be back to work soon."

My jaw hit the floor. I didn't know what to say, I said something to the effect of, "Well I hope it comes back negative, but you should have led with that."

I'm just at a loss, I don't know what to do. I'm furious, my foreman is furious, we're not sure how scared we should each be or what precautions we should take. We can't severe our relationship with these guys because they're literally our only option right now for getting our crop harvested.

gently caress, gently caress gently caress. Sorry for the rant, but gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CBJSprague24 posted:

Meanwhile, at the White House...

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1283855477059747841

...the gently caress is this poo poo.

I think at this point we should just tell the emperor he's naked.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CBJSprague24 posted:

Still not quite as dumb as Boris driving a GET BREXIT DONE digger through a wall

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

cerebral posted:

Covid is taking me from a lurker to a poster, not sure where else to vent this, so here is as good a place as any.

I'm a farmer, I'm also pretty paranoid about Covid. I've been essentially quarantined with my family since March, no restaurants, no gatherings, grocery shopping done by pickup, etc. But today I had to take a meeting with the two guys who are going to harvest my crop in a couple of weeks. As a matter of course, both my foreman and I met them outside, we both refused (politely) to shake their hands, and we conducted the whole meeting outside, roughly 10 feet apart, for about 5 minutes. As the meeting wraps up and I turn to walk away, they say, "Yeah, so we had a little setback the other day. One of our guys tested positive for the Covid. We're waiting for our test results, but he should be back to work soon."

My jaw hit the floor. I didn't know what to say, I said something to the effect of, "Well I hope it comes back negative, but you should have led with that."

I'm just at a loss, I don't know what to do. I'm furious, my foreman is furious, we're not sure how scared we should each be or what precautions we should take. We can't severe our relationship with these guys because they're literally our only option right now for getting our crop harvested.

gently caress, gently caress gently caress. Sorry for the rant, but gently caress.

Holy cow that is bad. It's frustrating to have no idea if someone is being as careful as possible or if they think it's a Soros plot, with the downside that their foolishness can hurt a lot of people.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

CBJSprague24 posted:

A Chevy commercial?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That seems to be comically missing the point of what pickup trucks are designed for.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wheres' that "now is the dumbest day in american history" tweet

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeah, Fox News execs are looking over at OAN and desperately want their viewers to keep on their channel, and not upgrade to the higher quality, uncut propaganda.

There's talk that Trump is trying to buy OAN and fuckin' :lol:, wouldn't it be something if FOX News was kneecapped at the hands of their own creation (and the man they continued to defend in spite of the fact even he poo poo on them from time to time) who turned their even more batshit crazy rival into Trump Network featuring OAN News.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CBJSprague24 posted:

I guess the big dumb baby was feeling pouty again.
https://theweek.com/speedreads/924803/advisers-tried-help-reportedly-inconsolable-trump-by-bringing-big-trucks-south-lawn

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's the Snyder poo poo, apparently.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1283876315855302658?s=19

quote:

Santos, the club’s director of pro personnel, was accused by six former employees and two reporters who covered the team of making inappropriate remarks about their bodies and asking them if they were romantically interested in him. In 2019, Santos was the subject of an internal investigation after Rhiannon Walker, a reporter for The Athletic, informed club management Santos had pinched her, told her she had “an rear end like a wagon,” and repeatedly asked her to date him, Walker said in an interview with The Post. Nora Princiotti, a reporter for The Ringer who formerly covered the team, also said in an interview that she was harassed by Santos. Santos, who was fired this past week, declined to comment.

Richard Mann II, assistant director of pro personnel, who in one text message obtained by the The Post told a female employee he and his colleagues debated whether her breasts had been surgically enhanced and in another text message told another female employee to expect an “inappropriate hug … And don’t worry that will be a stapler in my pocket, nothing else.” Mann, who also was fired last week, declined to comment.

Dennis Greene, former president of business operations, implored female sales staff to wear low-cut blouses, tight skirts and flirt with wealthy suite holders, according to five former employees, including Applegate. Greene’s 17-year career with the club ended in 2018 amid a scandal over the revelation he had sold access to Redskins cheerleaders — including attendance at a bikini calendar photo shoot in Costa Rica — as part of premium suite packages. Greene declined to comment.

Mitch Gershman, former chief operating officer, who Applegate said routinely berated her for trivial problems such as printer malfunctions while also complimenting her body. Two other former female employees supported Applegate’s account of her sexual harassment and verbal abuse by Gershman, who left the team in 2015.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 16, 2020

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1283794348430114816?s=19

cool cool cool cool

(it's the idiot from The Leaning Tower, apparently still terrible after all these years)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Looming Tower

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What is "an rear end like a wagon" anyway?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Errrr, leaf springs and solid axle?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Godholio posted:

It's covered and travels across the US.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Godholio posted:

Its wood paneled and perfect for mom and the kids!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

cool cool cool cool

(it's the idiot from The Leaning Tower, apparently still terrible after all these years)

Ummm, if they’re that high up in the CIA they are probably Q themselves....

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cool cool cool cool

Wondering if this is an op to get random Q people sending in their own crazy ideas so the CIA doesn't have to come up with their own ideas for misinformation.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Wasabi the J posted:

Wondering if this is an op to get random Q people sending in their own crazy ideas so the CIA doesn't have to come up with their own ideas for misinformation.

The CIA has never had any trouble coming up with nuts ideas.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

cerebral posted:

You “should” be fine if you were outside and not standing downwind of them. If you can/want, I would recommend both of you to get a PCR in 2-3 days and then again a week after that. Labcorp offers an at home PCR for $110ish but is covered under most plans (lol). If it makes you feel even better you both can wear masks at home and self isolate from your families as much as possible until you both test positively towards the negative.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Way too late to edit but autocorrect (either on my phone or in my brain) :doh:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Wasabi the J posted:

The same dude called for the murder of all liberals a couple years ago so nah

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh ok so an enemy of the people.

But we already knew he was in the CIA

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 16, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

cool cool cool cool

Jesus. This was one of the guys instrumental in getting us into Afghanistan after 9/11 and supporting the operations officers there. He's mentioned only as Mike in both First In, by Gary Schroen, and Jawbreaker, by Gary Bernsten. Both are highly recommended books. Schroen was the lead CIA guy who went in with a bunch of operations officers, a Marine arabic speaker, and some SAD guys who linked up with the Northern Alliance, and later a few A-Teams who, with the assistance of air power, beat, killed, or routed every Taliban stronghold. Unfortunately we tend to win invasions and lose the "peace" because the DOD is overflowing with money but we don't fund USAID or State Dept enough. Plus, Bush, Rumsfeld, et al making gigantic mistakes.

Bernsten relieved Schroen and became head of CIA ops in Afghanistan.

"Mike" (usually just "Mike") is mentioned in pretty much any book about the CIA and bin Laden and the invasion of Afghanistan.

How someone so high up in the CIA could have their brains broken by literal insane conspiracy theories, when this guy spent his entire career in the so called "deep state" is not only astonishing, but very troubling. It's the same fall from grace / brain being broken that Flynn had, too.

This is insane.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

How someone so high up in the CIA could have their brains broken by literal insane conspiracy theories, when this guy spent his entire career in the so called "deep state" is not only astonishing, but very troubling. It's the same fall from grace / brain being broken that Flynn had, too.

This is insane.

It should serve as a nice reminder that if it can happen to this guy, it can happen to any boomer. Human brains simply aren’t wired with enough innate critical thinking defenses. Many of us seem to be able to forgive some people, maybe parents, but much less understanding is shown to others.

That said, his brain is broken.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Or maybe he's right :tinfoil:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

TBi is a bitch.

I know a dude who stepped hit an IED during an ambush. Dude was normal; now he sees conspiracies everywhere, and is legit kinda off his rocker. To the point that a few if us reaches out to his Mom trying to get him help.

That's just the posting from on of his 5 FB profiles.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
It would be legit fascinating to see a study of the physical/emotional traumas Q-believers have experienced over the course of their lives and what patterns might exist that might explain the insanity. Too bad they'd never be willing to participate or give fake answers because they're paranoid wackos.

Of course, I'm not sure if I want to find out that there's actually nothing that meaningfully differentiates them from the rest of the population and that it's just random happenstance that the rest of us didn't get pulled down the rabbit hole at any point in our lives.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's just the posting from on of his 5 FB profiles.

Holy poo poo - 1 is terrible enough

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

You “should” be fine if you were outside and not standing downwind of them. If you can/want, I would recommend both of you to get a PCR in 2-3 days and then again a week after that. Labcorp offers an at home PCR for $110ish but is covered under most plans (lol). If it makes you feel even better you both can wear masks at home and self isolate from your families as much as possible until you both test positively towards the negative.

Thank you very much, I didn't know about the Labcorp tests, and I'm going to take advantage of them for me and my foreman.

The thing that really bugs me about this, other than the obvious of being exposed to a potentially deadly disease without my knowledge or consent, for absolutely no good reason, is that I really liked and respected the two guys who exposed us. If you had asked me before today, I'd have ranked them high among the AG people who I respect, and that's a very small circle of people after the last 4 years.

While I'm on the subject of AG, I see a nightmare scenario headed our way of covid absolutely decimating our workforce. The shameful tradition of treating our Hispanic population as an afterthought is about to catch up to us all in spades, and a lot of them going to pay with their lives, and the rest of us are going to pay with our food stability and access to a wide variety of foods.

The bill for our sins as an industry, and as a country is about to come due.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Living in Japan, as far as I can tell there's nothing anywhere near as widespread and insane as qanon. Sure, occasionally there are cults like Aum Shinrikyo (the group behind the sarin subway attacks), crazy murder stories, and vans equipped with loudspeakers driving around major train stations blasting stuff about how the end of the world is coming and you need to repent and love Jesus.

Maybe the qanon types are there and just less visible. I try to stay relatively informed on politics over here, but I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot.

Although when I was taking university classes here in Japan, I did have one classmate that seemed to fit the bill. After the first class when he realized he had an American (me) in the class with him, he immediately approached me and started trying to talk to me about American politics. I remember him asking me about how I felt about Alex Jones and Infowars, and something about Hillary's emails. He also mentioned how he was disappointed he couldn't join the US Marines because he was born Japanese. For the rest of the semester he would continue to try and bring up American politics and crazy conspiracy theories every time he had an opportunity to talk to me. He also brought a bunch of airsoft guns and gear to campus one time, which probably would have been a really bad idea in the US, but was still kind of :yikes: even in Japan.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spoggerific posted:

Living in Japan, as far as I can tell there's nothing anywhere near as widespread and insane as qanon.

WWII revisionism

e: Also the occupation of Korea

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 17, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

It should serve as a nice reminder that if it can happen to this guy, it can happen to any boomer. Human brains simply aren’t wired with enough innate critical thinking defenses. Many of us seem to be able to forgive some people, maybe parents, but much less understanding is shown to others.

That said, his brain is broken.

Yeah. This poo poo is nuts.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Platystemon posted:

WWII revisionism

Yeah, okay, you've got me there. For a lot of people it's just ignorance of the past, perhaps perpetuated by a lack of proper history education, but there are also a lot of people actively denying things and trying to change history.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1283835050367295488?s=19

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

twitch should just ban them not warn them. thats straight up bullshit

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1283434158539317251

this will definitely end well

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/dburbach/status/1283936410043637763?s=20

v cool, v legal stuff happening in Oregon

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

that has been happening over the past few days. they are using rented minivans and the dudes are all in military combat style gear and will not answer who they are or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure there are at least two constitutional amendments designed to ward that kind of thing off